Carb Counters - Primal/Paleo in February 2011!

View Full Version : Primal/Paleo in February 2011!

I'm svelting!
02-02-2011, 08:06 AM
We know that there's something seriously wrong with the standard North American diet.
We know that fresh is better than processed.
We know that empty calories are just that ... empty of nutrition.
We know that what we eat does indeed affect our bodies ... probably more than we can possibly imagine.

Give or take a few facts and/or opinions, this is what has drawn us toward a Primal/Paleo type lifestyle

...Totally stolen from Susan's 2011 kick-off post & thread. :D

wildviolets
02-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Athena....I too would love to hear what the naturopath did for you.....I too fear I am hypothyroid......I am just so tired all the time and my little one started full day kindergarten this year so I can't blame it on him anymore.

Anyway, I would love to hear what they did for you. I have a gyne appointment in 2 weeks and was going to bring it up to her.

srmb60
02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm glad you liked it ;)

Ilene
02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Hey gang :wave: .... be back later to post...

Ilene
02-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Whole 30 results: lost 4lbs – my usual weight loss of 1 lbs/week *sigh*...All in all I enjoyed the Whole 30 but am a bit disappointed in loosing only 4 lbs :(....lost 2 inches between my waist, hips and thighs, no loss on my chest which really surprises me because I usually lose it there first... . On the up side do feel really good, skin is soft, celulite is down, clothes is slightly looser, no gas, no more grumbles, I’m never hungry, I am finally sleeping better... I had two cheats during the Whole30, once I ate a bit of lasagna at a conference, then at a party I ate a bit of cheese... When I say a bit it was just a tad...

I’m going to take a break this coming weekend since I am going to a conference, it’s a fitness conference so there won’t be any junk food there. The girls I am going with are also very health conscious so it will be no biggie when making choices, I will have some wine though that is a fact :cheers: ... I`m almost afraid to have wine and be very hung over, so I’ll have to pace myself.....

On Monday I am back on the Whole 30ish bandwagon... It may not be a pure W30, here are my rules:

• Never gonna have grains again, I really don’t need them...
• Keep my coffee SEXY
• No dairy
• No sugar
• Keep reading labels
• Count calories, maybe that’ll help the weight loss more
• Add more intensity to my gym workouts.
• Wine only on occasions, not when just sitting in front of the TV watching a favourite show...
• Go out, but eat as clean and whole as possible....
• Keep making home made Mayonnaise :carrot:

Major snow storm here :dizzy:

Natalia
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Ilene, a huge congrats for losing 4 lbs!!! That's 4 bricks of butter you will Never have to carry around again (except in the grocery order!)
As for cheating I always hated that term. How about thoughtful break or informed indiscretion? Lol when I was on a local diet with a local chain of wlc's, my only time, they too called them cheat meals and I always subbed for treat meals.. Sounds much nicer :))

Last night I went to the grocery store and got some ricotta. I was craving ricotta creme from the s bd days. It's a little different but reminds me of the mascarpone filling in tiramisu, my fave dessert. Although I had a huge bowl it was still within my carbs and cals for the day--- plus, a planned indulgence in something lowcarb? That's a victory to me!! Continuing to stay off the scale too.

Snowstorm here and another snowday for ds!!
Talk soon!

Rana
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
:wave:

I'm interested in the whole Primal/Paleo concept. I don't know if this is what I'm doing, but I am a big believer of very little or no processed foods and I am doing low carb because it makes me feel better.

I just wanted to say hi and to let you know that I'm following this thread!
:)

Ilene
02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
:welcome: Rana :wave: ....

walking2lose
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Whole 30 results: lost 4lbs – my usual weight loss of 1 lbs/week *sigh*...All in all I enjoyed the Whole 30 but am a bit disappointed in loosing only 4 lbs :(....lost 2 inches between my waist, hips and thighs, no loss on my chest which really surprises me because I usually lose it there first... . On the up side do feel really good, skin is soft, celulite is down, clothes is slightly looser, no gas, no more grumbles, I’m never hungry, I am finally sleeping better... I had two cheats during the Whole30, once I ate a bit of lasagna at a conference, then at a party I ate a bit of cheese... When I say a bit it was just a tad...

I’m going to take a break this coming weekend since I am going to a conference, it’s a fitness conference so there won’t be any junk food there. The girls I am going with are also very health conscious so it will be no biggie when making choices, I will have some wine though that is a fact :cheers: ... I`m almost afraid to have wine and be very hung over, so I’ll have to pace myself.....

On Monday I am back on the Whole 30ish bandwagon... It may not be a pure W30, here are my rules:

• Never gonna have grains again, I really don’t need them...
• Keep my coffee SEXY
• No dairy
• No sugar
• Keep reading labels
• Count calories, maybe that’ll help the weight loss more
• Add more intensity to my gym workouts.
• Wine only on occasions, not when just sitting in front of the TV watching a favourite show...
• Go out, but eat as clean and whole as possible....
• Keep making home made Mayonnaise :carrot:

Major snow storm here :dizzy:

WHOLE30 ROUND-UP

Hi girls -- finally February! I am thinking about all of you who may be snowed in. I hope you keep power and have plenty of primal/paleo treats on hand. What a mess it must be!

Ilene - Fantastic job! You did an awesome job, and I like your plan for a break and then getting back on. In fact, I'm going to use it except for the counting calories part - for now.

Guess who else lost 4 lbs? Yup, that's right, and I am happy, happy with that. The whole size thing/clothes fitting far supersedes the actual poundage lost for me. Body composition truly changes eating like this. I am absolutely SMALLER than I was Jan 3, and I really wish I had tape measured myself. Although I have not been weight training or doing any exercise besides walking, my upper arms look more toned - crazy but true. And I wore a pair of pants today that I haven't worn for 4 years or so -- good thing I'm such a pack rat with my clothes ;)

I feel like I stuck to the true Whole30 really well but definitely NOT perfectly. I had whipped cream 3x -- twice here at home as a dessert - 2-3 tablespoons of the squirt kind with a teaspoon or so LIQUID GOLD (i.e. real organic maple syrup -- it's the nectar of the gods!), and I don't think I mentioned my Starbuck's date on Saturday with a former student. I considered going SEXY, but as I've been having coconut milk in mine and not black, I ordered an Americano with whipped cream. I love whipped cream, can you tell? I know Starbucks puts vanilla syrup in their whipped cream -- it was SWEET but good! I think I had a couple other off whole30 items, but I'm forgetting what they were.

I have NO REGRETS whatsoever, and I'm proud of myself for doing it. I have gotten into a groove (most of the time) with cooking and planning, and can I just say again, I feel great. I am not hungry, I eat till satisfied, and I LIKE what I've eating. That's a +1,000,000 for me!

Ilene - ditto on the drinks! we are going to a dinner party Saturday and my birthday is next week - I am planning to have the Norcal margaritas (http://paleogirls.com/2010/02/12/the-wolf-margarita/) Sat night and who knows... maybe wine or margaritas again for my birthday.

So, I'm going to relax and go more primal for a couple weeks and then go back to stricter paleo. I dug it. I really did.

Stay warm ladies, and here's to a great month for all of us!

KO
02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
What's Sexy Coffee?
Natalia that sounds Divine!!!!
ok so last night I was flaring super bad and I was seriously considering having a piece of bread Serotonin yadda yadda
However when I changed into my pajamas I noticed my swelling was less
I have edema my legs swell
I even showed DH who agreed it was less
No bread!
a Small victory but a victory nontheless!

Ilene and walking 4 pounds rocks!

walking2lose
02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
What's Sexy Coffee?
Natalia that sounds Divine!!!!
ok so last night I was flaring super bad and I was seriously considering having a piece of bread Serotonin yadda yadda
However when I changed into my pajamas I noticed my swelling was less
I have edema my legs swell
I even showed DH who agreed it was less
No bread!
a Small victory but a victory nontheless!

Ilene and walking 4 pounds rocks!

Kiere - that is a huge victory! I hope you find that you'll get fewer and fewer flares without the gluten. Great job!

Sexy coffee -- ha,ha - black coffee. Help me, girls, who coined it? Was it you, Natalia? Or Athena?? Can't remember, but we must find their description and copy it here for all to see. Classic.

Natalia - I LOVE, love, love ricotta. I have not had it since whole30, but that is good stuff! Good job on the low carb treat.

Rana - welcome and please come hang out with us!

Ok, going to get off my duff now... just read MDA (he has a great post today) and then cruised back to 3FC. Being lazy and need to get up... so see ya later!

Arkansas Kel
02-02-2011, 11:12 PM
svelting: thanks for the kick start!

KO - that's great! Any thing you find that helps you improve is a victory. Even if you don't achieve perfection (and as I say it's hard to like perfect people anyway), knowledge is power.

Rana: You're among friends. Welcome to our friendly little club.

Walking: That's great. I too love this WOE and plan to continue, but no plan in the near future to repeat the W30 thing.

My W30 achievements: I am practically 100% off processed foods, grains, sugar, artificial sweeteners and diet coke (which has been my go to thing for many many cans per day until January 2 2011). I had a few off plan moments, now having about 1 per day which I think is my norm. Lost only about 4 lbs, but they were easy pounds on a sustainable plan. I couldn't ask for more. I can't believe what is second nature now to not have! I only eat off plan if it's something I REALLY REALLY want. Not just cause it's there. My clothing was looser, but I'm coming up on TOM which does lotsa not nice things to me every month so I can't evaluate properly until after it's over.

Today: On target breakfast of eggs, sausage, 1/2 orange, coffee. Lunch: Chicken strips and a small salad loaded with veg and light on dressing, unswt tea (yep, chicken was iffy there, but I LUV our ckn strips at work). Afternoon snackage: 2 leftover ckn hot wings, banana, cashews, more tea. Supper: Totally lost it. Pizza at a meeting including dessert pizzas. I ate it ALL. Now, here I sit bloated, belchy, wondering if ALL that was really the best decision. Why didn't I just have a piece and stop. Why 3 pieces pizza, 4 pieces dessert pizza (well they did keep passing it around). WHY WHY WHY. Anyway, tomorrow I'm doing a Whole1 LOL. One day at a time.....

My thought from yesterday: If cheating on a meal makes you a failure on your diet, then keeping one meal on track makes you a success! Glass half full or half empty kinda thing.

Natalia
02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey girls!! Good morning!!

Claire, congrats on the 4 lbs, and inches lost . That's exciting!

Arkansas kel- I wouldnt fret about the pizza, what's done is done.. The negative thoughts suck but they never help anyone.. I wonder if lunch and snack may have been a contributing factor: each thing got progressively less onplan. I cant have bananas at all as they make me crave; I'd be better off having sugar out of the dish I think :))

Kierie- that's great that you were able to avoid the bread. Is there anything else you can have or do to get your seratonin up? I don't know a lot about fibro treatments

As for me. I kePt ds home from school today as the roads are still horrible.
Last night I tried the diet Italian soda and it was pretty good!
Breakfast was ricotta creme that kept me full for many hours,
Late lunch of 2 breakfast sausages and a hb egg with a tsp hellmanns,
Supper was taco salad without the taco on a bed of greens

Still being patient.. Geez not even fruit and almost no dairy and my carbs under 25 you'd think the scale would move.. Then I finished taubes new book and he said a smallnumber of people, mostly women, can't even lose weight on this level of restriction. Too little too late kinda thing. Greeeeeeat , that's just what I needed to hear. He said what remains to be seen though if maybe if they had stuck with it more than a month or two without giving up maybe the disorder of fat metabolism would work itself out over time .
I am not giving up!!!!!! I feel good... Body, HEAL THYSELF!! Lol

srmb60
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Drs appt today.
The good news ... my cholesterol is fabulous.
The bad news ... my blood pressure blows!:mad:

I have to go back in March to talk about that. He's funny though. I'm not allowed to have a stroke because there's already a nursing shortage.

walking2lose
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
It's really bad to be "out" of food when you are paleo/primal. I have frozen solid steak and a few bags of frozen veg in the freezer. As much I don't want to, I'm off to the store. Will do a proper shop at Trader Joe's this weekend.

Arkansas Kel
02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Natalie: hang in there. Learn what works and doesn't for you. No diet is one size fits all. Start low carb, then tweak. Up the fat, lower the fat etc. until you find your formula. Then that too may need tweaking after awhile. Keep it up, you're on the right track, even if it's not the same track as everybody else.

Walking: I empathize. One of my tricks is to cook double and freeze it sometimes. Like paleo TV dinners - got a bowl of primal chili in there right now for a back up. Also, bag of grilled chicken and some frozen hot wings. Good to have a "quickie" on hand. Also, I cook burger meat from frozen (if I'm crumbling it). Also some onion, Cover with a bag of slaw mix. Lid on it, cook until slaw is soft. Add aminos (soy sauce sub). Garlic? Sesame oil after done. WE call it hamburger helper. :)

OK, that banana thing. Hasn't caused that before. I think it's hormone related - BTW I'm also on clomid - which makes me RAVENOUS. But alas, I"m still responsible for my actions.

Today, breakfast - the usual. Lunch taco salad (with the chips). Afternoon snack: nuts, unsweet tea, 1 bite of apple (it was NASTY). Supper: egg drop soup, few cashews, 1 square chocolate, 1/4 orange. Soon: cup o hot tea to polish it off. I call it a good moderate day. Chips were obviously off plan but allowing for a daily "deviation" is keeping me otherwise on plan. So it's my own customization. I'm not carb counting. Laid little bits of chocolate on each little bite of orange - HEAVEN.

Achievements this far: no soda, diet or otherwise since Jan 2, eating loads of veg, no sugar - not even in my mayo since I found DUKE's (Hellman's still has sugar - what's up with that) - ok, except diving into the pizzert crap at work last night and a small square of 86% dk choc here and there).

Confession: When I started clomid my weight started to shoot up like a rocket. I gained 20 lbs. It stopped when I started W30. Then dropped 4 lbs and held there. I know I'm not doing it perfect. I'm ok with that. But the damage from this med stopped at least. I had gotten fearful I would have to buy all new wardrobe just to breath.

walking2lose
02-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Kel - great tips for food planning - thanks. I'm working on this, but boy, yesterday we had empty cupboards. Great job with your whole30 challenge! The whole loose pants thing for me is better than seeing the scale results! Not to be nosey, but are you trying to conceive? I'll be 43 next weeks, no kids, and the only thing I know about clomid is as a fertility drug. If so, boy, does Robb Wolf have a lot to say about Paleo and fertility!

Natalia - I really believe your continued vigilance and patience will pay off. I had kind of a woosh of fat slide off when I initially began eating primal (9 months ago I think), but it didn't happen for a few weeks. Hang in there and keep eating clean. If nothing else, you'll feel better.

Kiere- the other night I was listening to a Robb Wolf podcast on my walk and one of the questions was about fibro and paleo. His response was extremely positive and hopeful - he said people with fibro will absolutely get relief from their systems from a paleo diet/lifestyle. He also talked about the need for magnesium supplementation for it - if you are interested, I will find and post what he said.

Happy Friday to everyone! Ilene's off to a conference... what's everyone else got planned? Hope you all are digging out from the snow! Have a great day!
***still looking for Sandy and Mikki....

Natalia
02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey girls!! Darn this woe totally rocks!!!! I had the most delicious breakfast ever... Ricotta creme with Stella ricotta, and then for dessert I had 1/4 cup walnuts, with a sprinkle of Allende and a tsp of butter, microwave until butter melts. Mix together and eat while still warm, mmmmmmm!!

So I got on the scale today and finally it seems headed downward. Not a whole pound but I'll take any loss I can get.

I think for supper I'm gonna make that new recipe for poor mans lobster. Hope it turns out good. Last night we were so late getting home. I had a plate of greens with a few grape tomatoes and balsamic vinegarette and the meat off a mcdouble! And I was thirsty driving home everyones food and I had gotten dh a coke but I didn't even take a sip. Coke classic I just loooooove it but I knew I could be trusted not to have Any or else I would have gotten him yucky root beer! Lol

Kel- I, too have been on clomid.
On the third cycle I got pg.. I upped my third dose on my own.
Unfortunately it was 8 yes ago and I don't remember increased appetite.
But I have been on high dose steroids and boy!! My appetite increases my like triple. In fact I am never full. I remember one night having as a bedtime snack 4 hotdogs in buns loaded with toppings!! I once ate 1.5lb cheese in one sitting.
It was Gouda but still. Lol
After twice gaining major weight on prednisone and not losing any I was determined the next time to not gain any. I gave myself a realistic buffer of 5lbs for water retention. I looked everywhere and read a lot and found up people gain wt on it from it screwing with your insulin levels so I ate low carb (I followed cad which was great at the time so I could still have an indulgence every day).. Did not gain anything the next 2 times on pred!!

Sorry for that long spiel but if you're hungrier maybe the clomid is messing with your blood sugar. If this is true, not only will you be more likely to store as fat any carbs you eat but you'll keep getting a bigger and bigger appetite. I recommend to keep your appetite in check, as low carbs as you can go, until you're off the clomid. This should help enormously!

Claire, at the risk of sounding like a total ignoramus, who is Robb wolf? Did he write paleo? I only read pb.

Happy Friday girls! Let's kick it out of the park today--- eat clean and serene!

walking2lose
02-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Claire, at the risk of sounding like a total ignoramus, who is Robb wolf? Did he write paleo? I only read pb.

Happy Friday girls! Let's kick it out of the park today--- eat clean and serene!

Hope everyone did kick it out of the park! Early to bed for me tonight.

Natalia - you can check Robb Wolf out here. (http://robbwolf.com/) I love to listen to his podcasts on my ipod while I walk. I have his book in my cart on Amazon and will probably place the order this weekend.

Night all!

Natalia
02-05-2011, 09:41 AM
hmm, I listened to Robb Wolf last night via your link. Was sweating bullets over if he was going to bash club soda, as I was sipping on an italian soda at the time, LOL Starting to love those!

Those SF syrups are impossible to buy locally unless you go to the cafe and they're $13.99!! and only have vanill, caramel and hazelnut. But from time to time I come across some at Winners Homesense. Very hit or miss. THey had raspberry and french vanilla! So I got 2 of each (t home I only had caramel and irish cream). I am loving the vanilla in club soda..

So, the scale is inching downward! and I am not complaining! Its amazing how grateful you can be for a third of a lb, or half a lb, once you get some perspective. What am I doing differently? Well for the first part of this woe I didnt journal, but I think I was getting more calories and fat (thru nuts)
and drinking less.
I also picked up a bottle of green tea extract and thougtht no harm in giving it a try. :)

i tried the poor man's lobster last night. So weird, it did have a taste reminiscent of lobster! You wouldnt fool anyone with it, but for plain whitefish it'll be my favorite way to prepare it from now on. and so easy! I also found that smashing the fillet into little pieces and dripping a bit of butter over them was far more belivable than just grabbing a bit of the fillet.

I was jonesing for something last night so I also tried amy's protein cookie and it was so good! except my batter was runnier than hers so i'll have to try it again, but it was fantastic as I made it too. very chocolately , kind of custardy and kind of cakey. Mmm!

Arkansas Kel
02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Ya, we are TTC. Been on clomid since august, think we're about to up the dose. OH BOY, am I looking forward to that. Other gals at work are also on it and having similar side effects like bloating, appetite of a moose etc. My first month I didn't notice much but a little nausea that was tolerable. That passed and appetite kicked in with a vengeance. And in response my weight began to grow, then I found I was eating nearly constantly without any lessening of the hunger and my weight SHOT up about 20 lbs. I began to panic. I can't get bigger than I started. I found primal while wandering around the internet. I've done LC, Atkins, WW, blah blah blah. But this sounds simple and so in I went feet first into a W30. No test driving first. And it went well. My weight kept going up, but sort of stalled finally then took a small downturn of 4 lbs. I hit my highest weight ever. But Primal stopped the gaining. And if I go munching around at home - the choices are slim - there's fruit, coconut milk, meat, veg It's the munching around not at home I got to work on. If I could limit my off plan a little more I think I'll be just fine with this. I don't think it's affecting my blood sugar - as I already have a weak area there with some rare hypo attacks - but it does boost your fertile girly hormones. I think it's the hormones surging around. It also causes fluid retention - so it's a double whammo. I can tell my body if fluidier, my right knee swells (which it always tended to do a little but now is much worse). It messes with muscle looseness, so I think that's making my knee hurt along the side where the tendons run. it's all really tolerable though, just not the weight gain rocket I was riding. That was awful. My clothes got LITTLE, and I got miserable. Couldn't reach my feet, couldn't bend over and breath, I had never realized I was only 20 lbs from being unable to do everything for myself. Scary.

In a few days we'll know if this round took, if yes or no, we see the doctor the next week. HOPING. Then if I understood right the dose doubles if we're still in TTC phase. :( May have to cut carbs to manage a double dose. Or cut the sneaks.
Had made some wonderful egg drop soup - hmm, gonna freeze it as soon as it cools. OH man, that'll be good one night when we're short on time and left in a bowl on stove to cool. Came back to find our German Shepard standing at stove on back feet happily eating my soup. Guess it was irrestible.... :(

Today, a little snow on the ground. a little breakfast going in my belly of bacon, eggs, sweet potato, carrots... coffee. Got a roast and veg mix to cook later today. Good day inside.

I think my next goal should be exercise, but plan to wait for better weather to start that! I'm cold natured, I don't think I'll start walking in the snow. I have arthritis, cold is just not that tolerable even now. Maybe I'll work on in indoor idea for now. Shouldn't be hard to come up with. I do have a zumba DVD to play with :)

Sorry for long post, I got a little involved with it today! Good therapy for me sometimes.

Natalia
02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Kel- I am so sorry to hear that. So it sounds like each week u plateau is a big victory bc you are not recording a gain!
I hope this month is the monthfor you. You might have to get acrobatic with your bding so you can burn more calories!!lol
I hear ya on the cold, it's been soooo cold here and I think anyone with chronic illness does worse in the winter. I wish I had enough money to become a snowbird!! Even though I'm only 34.. Haha
My mom calls me a trvl ho I just love it. Thank goodness the kids aren't afraid to fly.. I think they like it as much as me!!

I am at a playcentre right now typing on the ol itouch amid the chaos. Took the kids out to kill some time as dh is having a friend over to game,
I think there's like 7 parties:((
For breakkie I tried the new recipe for flax pancakes. They were okay, a nice change from eggs I guessand way better than the wet recipes I've tried like with cottage cheese.. I put becel on it and sf vanilla.
I would make it againbut I bet it'd be better with ground almonds.

I don't know what I'm going to make for supper ...something quick I think. And were low in greens...guess I need to go to Costco but dh is being the food budget police lately for some reason... Though funny enough doesnt mind spending hundreds online and getting extra nunchuks etc

wildviolets
02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
cacao nibs......anyone ever had them? Know what to do with them? I bought them at WholeFoods because i remembered I wanted to try them once but I can't remember why? They are interesting...not very sweet.....trying to find something to make with them.

Arkansas Kel
02-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Natalie: thanks for the support, sorry I didn't share that upfront, it's just been kind of a personal thing but it did make more sense for ya'll to know where I"m coming from. I'm doing well as far as I'm concerned. If I don't go chasing a cow down in a field with a fork in hand anyway when the dose doubles if this round didn't take.

wildviolets - I've seen those nibs used in nearly every way - even ground up and used in a meat rub. Google it and let us know how it goes down. I've thought about trying them myself, but haven't came across them anywhere yet. Maybe I'll find a coupon.....

I started something new last night - new and EXCITING. Didn't realize it would be so either. I started couponing. My BFF has been doing it and I reaped a little benefit from her, and a girl at work is into it on a "needs intervention" level. Anyway, there ARE coupons everywhere even for our diet - plus H&B stuff. I plan to do this aggressively to reduce our bills. I found 2 coupons for salad mix alone! Anyway, the trick is to get loads of coups, swap the unneeded ones with each other, and buy when that item is onsale - then use multiple coupons for multiple items at sale price. There's already some success in our little group of beginners. Look into it. They have gotten brand names cheaper than generic - and a few items practically free. :carrot: BTW I got some really good coupons by going to the manufacturer websites of stuff I ALREADY buy and registering for their emails. Also it is recommended that you visit them and either ask for a coupon &/OR tell them how great they are and they'll send u some good ones! :D

On the TTC front - no change so far. Cross your fingers gals. :^:

Natalia
02-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh yes- very familiar with couponing.. There are websites where someone has already done the legwork and matched all current coupons to current sales.. On many cases they pay you to take the item home!!

Also don't forget two little tips most of the cashiers either don't know or don't want you to know- SCOP- scanning code of practice, if the item rings up at higher than the shelf price you get it free up to $10 maximum. Do you have that in the states? It has to be nonstickered though. But each UPC counts. So say you have 3 flavors of granola bars that are ringing up higher. All three will be free.
2nd tip, on each coupon in the fine print on the back, it usually says, tax is included in the face value of the coupon..but they never do this without u telling them!! It only comes into play when you're getting the item almost free.. So if you have a $2 off coupon for something 1.89, the remaining.11 can and should be used toward tax. Cashiers don't do this and even some argue you can't use a coupon for more than the cost of the item.

There's also coupon trains which are so handy bc many coupons are only distributed in some parts of he country. Coupling has enabled me to have a stocked pantry downstairs as well as contribute generously to the food bank. It really is an art!!

Natalia
02-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Erm anyway as for me a huge itchy rash developed on my face last night. I saw online that is a common reaction to an allergy to green tea?? So I am not taking more tabs and see what happens.

Confession time- I got an indulge Atkins bar for hub to put away for me for valentines day and I got an extra to see how they tasted. Not bad. My first time ever having sugar alcohols so who knows I could be allergic to them. I stayed off the scale today. Going to lowcarb it and have lots of fluids and see how it goes. Def not planning to have them regularly.. It's funny after my research I was hoping to have d and gas so that would mean I wasn't absorbing the sugar alcohols.. Lol I did have some gas and a few weird noises but no d. But there weren't a lot of sa's in the bad either..

I have no clue what's for supper. Ugh!!
Is it always this slow here on the weekend?!? It seems like the activity practically slows to nothing.?

srmb60
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Natalia? You coupon on Canada? I really thought we didn't have much to work with here. I guess I'm not looking in the right places. Hmmm ... must investigate.

Ilene
02-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey girls :wave: had a wonderful weekend with the girls at the fitness conference in Montreal... Saw some great demos on Gym Sticks, TRX, BootCamp :faint: I didn't participate to the BootCamp but it looked extremely tough! Didn't eat completely Primal, had a few carbs ie: rice and a wrap and a bagel, no biggie at all, lotsa wine though and a couple of shooters :cheers: ... Great fun!!

Clomid: I took Clomid also to get pregnant when I couldn't .... I can't remember if I had any weight gain side effects I was not in tune with my body back then at all.... I took it for one month and got pregnant that same month... I was one of the lucky ones ...

I have no foods made for the week, but plenty in the freezer...thank goodness....tomorrow I'll do some groceries...

Ilene
02-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Coupons: I used to coupon years ago, I haven't in a while though... I used to find it fun and saved lots of money doing it...

walking2lose
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Good day, food wise, but super tired. I'm going for a short walk and may post later... read everything but a little too sleep to respond right now.

Hope everyone's having a great Monday.

Warrior11
02-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi, I'm new. Did a 7 day fruit and veggie detox in January, now on my 3rd week of no bread, just fruits, veggies, clean protein Some days I'm totally motivated to do this and others, eh, not so much. SuperBowl was HARD.

Arkansas Kel
02-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Welcome warrior! You're in the right place. We're all on different tracks of the same forrest, join us!

Wow, you closet couponers surprised me - didn't know you were there all along! Ya, we've discussed a train along the way. I'm such a beginner my stash is measly compared to my pals.

OK, today, I don't wanna talk about it. That's it. Was an awful day. Snow caused call ins, caused job changes, caused me to do a job I haven't done in a long time - and not as well as I used to do it either. I barely ate breakfast - ate badly, inhaled it cause I went in early. Missed lunch completely - couldn't even hope for it. Midafternoon had the first diet coke since Jan 2 with some peanut m&m's - thought I was going to starve. Supper - drive through garbage - today wasn't even a treat kind of mode - just a get fed, keep going mode. Didn't even enjoy it like I usually do my sneaks and treats. This sucked. My WOE sucked, my job sucked, and my body is exhausted. G'night peeps.

ping
02-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Hello! Just stumbled onto this Primal Paleo and am very intrigued!!! I have been "somoma-ing" for a while and would like to try something different---can you explain the concept and how to follow the diet?
Thanks!

Ilene
02-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Here is the Whole 30 link (http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/) and also the basics for the Primal Blueprint (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/)....

:welcome: to our little group...

Arkansas Kel
02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Hello peeps, was a rough day again, but better. Was almost completely primal today. Even turned down a free candy bar - now that's talking will power. I ate a 1/2 bun. That was it. Not bad, considering yesterday's fiasco. Everything else was ON PLAN. I did a split job today - my usual job, plus helping out on another, not as bad as yesterday by a long shot. I think yesterday was the equivalent stress level of grok running from the lion all day. Today, just a old slow lion to run from. Hopefully tomorrow it will look more like a tabby. :)

Welcome ping! Like the name. Makes me think of submarines! (OK, dopey but that's how I roll). There's lots of sites to check out. I'm personally fond of a couple. http://www.thelazycaveman.com/ and http://theclothesmakethegirl.blogspot.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ . I keep up with those most. I've taken this WOE head on with whole 30, back slid a bit, then tried to customize to make it liveable. I have too much to lose and other issues to do a fast track, all or nothing diet plan. I'm playing it with some customization. Plus, I have a couple things working against me lately. Glad u are here whether to go all out or stroll through it.

Arkansas Kel
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
LOL - I said a couple sites and listed 3. OK, it is the end of my day. You got more than promised, and for the price, the advice is good :)

Ilene
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
There is also Robb Wolf (http://robbwolf.com/faq/)

walking2lose
02-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Yay for Robb Wolf!

Welcome Ping! Yes, I think all of us would recommend you do some reading -- I would highly recommend that you read Gary Taubes, Why People Get Fat, and if you're the science-y type his earlier book Good Calories, Bad Calories is eye opening. Taubes laid the ground work for me, and then I read Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint. MAJOR shift in thinking and eating for me, but I wouldn't go back for a second... in fact, I have no desire to.

I had a good day, and tomorrow is my birthday-- 43! Never felt better.

DH is making asparagus and burgers - had some wonderful canned garden tomatoes, cabbage, and sausage last night topped with a chopped boiled egg - yum!

This has been a busy week so far (today is my night school day), tomorrow we're going out for my b-day, so I hope to get in and respond to everyone in a couple days.

Meanwhile, happy primal Tuesday, and let's have a great week!

Athenacapella
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
To the person who asked about paleo, if you like podcasts at all I would strongly recommend Robb Wolf's podcast, the Latest in Paleo podcast and also the Livin La Vida Low Carb podcast which talks a lot about paleo diets as well as general low-carb.

Welp, I'm returning after my latest start-stop-start-stop again cycle. I had a horrible, horrible day at work on Friday, and instead of using a healthy copying mechanism, I turned to food and binged on carbs all weekend long. And ya' know, at the end of it all, I looked at the carbs and was just so sick of them that I threw the leftovers out. There's just nothing in value in them. I'm SICK of them. I'm finally sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Also I got my food sensitivity testing back. I already knew wheat, but turns out I'm sensitive to a slew of other foods -- dairy and goat's milk being at the top of the list. I suspected, but was not sure so it's good to see the hard evidence. Also turned up sensitive to egg whites and tomatoes, and a bunch of other foods.

Yesterday and today I was completely paleo, except I had some diet sodas. I'm not dealing so much hypoglycemia any more, so that's good. I even got grass-fed beef and such. I think I'm going to be doing a paleo going forward without the fear of saturated fat that was in Cordain's first book, but a low-carb version so it's very similar to Atkins except I can't do dairy or eggs.

I'm svelting!
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Having read so much about grass-fed dairy in the forums on MDA, I contacted one of the "organic" dairy producers, Organic Meadow, because the packaging of any of these products is so inadequate. WTH does "organic" mean about dairy? Their products (cream, yogurt and butter) are available in major grocery stores and in health food / organic markets.

Summary: mostly grass-fed, organic non-GMO grain or legume when grass isn't available.

My take: If you want the improved fatty acid profile of grass-fed, Organic Meadow is worth the extra money in the summer, fall and early parts of a light winter.

Here's the response I got:
Organic Meadow is owned by a farmers’ co-operative who are as concerned with animal welfare as they are with the environment and of the quality of our products. There are over 65 farms that produce the milk for the brand Organic Meadow. These farms are scattered throughout Ontario. The herd sizes range in size from 10 to 80 cows, and all are certified organic by a 3rd party independent certification agency most of them work with Pro-Cert Canada Inc. - www.pro-cert.org.

Our cows are free of growth hormones. Our cows are not fed or treated with growth hormones, genetically modified organisms, or medicated feed. There are no synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or insecticides used.

During the warm months the cows feed primarily on grass/pasture because they are out to pasture every day. They have access to the outdoors 365 days a year (weather permitting of course) and have ample size accommodation when they are indoors. When they are indoors they eat a balanced ration of grass, grains, and legumes. Their diet must comprise of only 100% vegetarian certified organic feed (no GMO or treated seed) and consists primarily of grass.

We like our members to create a complete system on their farms. What this means is that all of the feed for the cows is produced on farm, and then the manure is properly composted and applied back onto the crops. This, with proper crop rotation will allow the farm to run sustainably. The type of grains and legumes each producer feed their cows depends on what can be grown in their fields.

wildviolets
02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Very interesting Svelting!

Happy Birthday Claire! One nice thing about this WOE is that eating out is pretty easy.

Hello all you new people! I think just about everyone on this board can testify to this WOE as making us feel better as well as losing weight. I started with Marks Daily Apple but I think the Gary Taubes books are a great idea too. Good luck!

ping
02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Thank you for all the research material!! I will check it all out and keep in touch. My husband just got his cholesterol reports--not good--so we are investigating that too----sooooo many different opinions!!!!!! And who to believe??
Thanks again!

walking2lose
02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Thank you for all the research material!! I will check it all out and keep in touch. My husband just got his cholesterol reports--not good--so we are investigating that too----sooooo many different opinions!!!!!! And who to believe??
Thanks again!

Again, I highly recommend that you read Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Arkansas Kel
02-09-2011, 06:00 PM
AH, Rob Wolff - absolutely. Why didn't I think of that??? Anyway, I agree totally.

Athena: It's just a growth process. Will look forward to following your adventure into the change!

On my couponing adventure: found more at the store today when I popped in for a couple quickie items. This weekend will be the tell. I'm excited, even though all mine are sorted into low tech envelopes - not like my friends hi-tech 3 ring binder system. It's like an addiction - and it's a calorie free, legal addiction!!!

Today: good day - FINALLY. Pretty much snowed in. Snowed a lot today. About 3 inches so far. I know you yanks don't consider that snowed in, but us southerners call it a holiday. Which is better a work day or a snow day? Seriously. Supposed to get another 2-3 inches today still. Ate fine, then ate 3 freakin' cookies with coffee. OK, they were really tasty not just unconscious distraction. I don't care, it's a SNOW day and they were yummy. Otherwise, on plan all day and will be the rest of the day. :) Will be good if I can keep warm enough, freakin' arthritis.

Ilene
02-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey gang and newbies :wave: ....

Been having a good day today :D ... Yesterday was one of those hungry days, I could not eat enough, but today I am barely hungry, thank goodness I really hate those hungry days ...

Had an awesome run with my client, had an excellent run with her on Monday and she was so "on" that she ran 14 minutes straight, I was so proud of her, also the fact that she's lost weight so she is lighter and feeling the benefits when running :D ... Today we ran inside, it was so cold and blistery. When we go inside we run in an arena complex and at each corner there are stairs... So today every time we turned a corner we went down and then up, then to the next corner, running in between for one circle around then walking, down and up the stairs, then run again down and up the stairs... :lol: she was mad at me cause I pushed her and she found it hard, but then she was happy she had done it... It kinda was her idea because she saw someone doing that so I ran, literally :lol: with the idea :shrug: ...

So, in a few minutes I will go to the gym :strong: ...

wildviolets
02-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Ilene, you are my exercise hero!

Do any of you have young children? My son is 6 and I just got a letter from the school saying that his BMI is too high...basically that he is overweight. I know that.....my DH was a skinny rail til his 30s and I"ve always had a weight problem and who does my son take after.....me. Poor little guy.

Anyway, it's so hard to get him to eat healthy. The school lunches are total crap so he takes his lunch most of the time and I have to pack a snack too. It's hard to think of things to pack that are healthy that he will eat. Then when I start thinking low carb, it seems almost impossible. Couple that with him receiving candy for doing things at school or kids parties or special occasions at school and now you have him eating tons of sugar.

Not that I'm much better.....I give him treats now and then and seem to take the easy way out (McDonalds, Pizza, etc).

I'm feeling like a ****ty mom and I don't know where to turn. I thought of calling his dr. to see if they have any recommended guidelines but I don't really trust conventional medicine anymore.

I guess I"ll sleep on it and do some research tomorrow.

Athenacapella
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks again!

I second the suggestion for Gary Taubes book. There also are some books out there about the cholesterol myths. Also Robb Wolf talks about cholesterol quite a bit.

But bottom line is that many in this community believe and have seen low-carb/paleo approach dramatically improving lipid profiles.

Basically, though, to sum up the alternative/paleo view -- and please someone chime in if I'm wrong:
- High cholesterol is not necessarily bad -- if it's the RIGHT cholesterol
- Studies show higher mortality rates from some people who have LOW cholesterol
- Triglycerides are an important measure of health. Triglycerides are a direct indicator of how much CARBS and grains you're eating
- Good cholesterol will be raised by eating saturated fat from animal products such as grass-fed beef
- Saturated fat will also increase LDL, but the LDL will be of the light, fluffy and not unhealthy kind

Robb Wolf also says c-reactive protein and inflammation in the body are other key measures of heart health.

I tried giving this talk to my parents, but didn't go over well, so thank you for listening!

Athenacapella
02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I had another great day. Hooray! Only thing non-paleo was I had a diet soda but I am going to be weaning off of those as I get some successful weeks under my belt.

But I FEEL so much better just after 3 days. I am finally starting to get that I need to eat lots and lots of food, rather than eating what I brought by 12:30 and being starving at 3 p.m. It's an entire shift in mindset.

The weekend is coming up, though, and I haven't made it through a weekend since re-starting this endeavor in recent weeks. Also now I have a much longer list of food sensitivities since getting my test results back, so the list is more limited than paleo foods.

So it is time to make it through the weekend! I want to venture to a farm my naturepath recommended for grass-fed beef on Saturday. Making some nice steak is always a good motivator. ;)

Does anyone else use coconut oil? Naturepath wants me to use that since olives came up on my sensitivity list, and I cooked for the first time with it last night. MAN, was it good. Gives everything a slight coconut taste. SO YUMMY.

wildviolets - I do not have kids. But I don't think you should call yourself a bad mom. You're doing the best you can, and being a parent is NOT easy.

Have you read the blog Everyday Paleo? She was also on a recent Robb Wolf podcast (http://robbwolf.com/category/podcasts/page/2/). She is a mom of 3 and her whole family is now doing paleo.

I was an overweight kid, too, so I can totally relate. I think you're totally on the right track about wanting to reduce his sugar and carb intake. I forget -- have you read Taubes' book "why we get fat"?

Ilene
02-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Wildviolet, I can't believe that a school would send a bad BMI report on a child but then turn around and serve crap in the cafeteria and then give « candy for doing things at school or kids parties or special occasions at school and now you have him eating tons of sugar. » Geeeeez :frypan: ... Maybe serve him his favourite fruits and veggies, find a protein that he likes and give him lots of protein, in his lunch box... Do they have a microwave where they can heat up soups and leftovers from the night before? And last but not least talk to the school and teachers about the report and ask them to not give him any sugar ... Schools can be stupid :rolleyes: .... Also, does your son know about this report? What a way to ruin a child self esteem :rolleyes: ... All the best to you and your son :hug: it sure ain't easy is it? As parents we're often stuck between a rock and a hard place....

Natalia
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Wildviolets- omg you are NOT a bad mom! Though I think I would feel angry and maybe a little guilty too- moms are so hard on ourselves I think.

A few suggestions- can he walk with you later in the day
? Don't make it about exercise persay but it could be your special time talking about your days.

In the same vein, are you walking distance to school? If so you could pick him up on foot and walk home. In our area almost all the walkers get driven to school.

Does he like any fruit or vegetables? How about apple slices for recess ( the kind that don't oxidize) or veggies and low carb dip?
Or crispy minis and a piece of cheese?

Lunch can be hard if ds doesn't care for meat like mine- were not allowed pb or any nuts. The only veg ds will eat are files and celery that's destringed lol so we alternate those. We got those divided plates with lid and you can make your own lunchable- favorite meat in one, cheese and pickle wrapped in Pt in another, a few crackers or veggie straws or goldfish in the third..

My ds was always skinny but my genes caught up with him and now at almost 8 he has a carb tummy. I have never done his bmi but I would guess about 5-7 lb overweigt. Our struggle is his aspergers he has food texture issues and eats a very limited diet, mostly carbs... But we are making slow progress.

Don't let it bother you- you know there are kids there eating nothing but junk and rail thin-- in kids, low weight isn't a reliable indicator of healthy diet or healthy body....

Natalia
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
So as for me, after weeks of the scale not moving despite a 1200-1400 calorie and 20-30g carb.. And this is the beginning so shouldn't be plateauing -- did some research and apparently people with severe fat metabolism issues cannot lose unless on a vvlc diet- they maintain on 30g carb

So starting at lunch yesterday I started a meat-egg fast . I am going to do it for 5 days.. And maybe alternate so I do it every 3 or 4 weeks and then maintain on 30g the rest of the month.

In less than a day, and with af coming tomorrow, and wearing pjs when normally I weigh in just a tshirt, I still posted a -0.8!!

I hope I don't get kicked out of the group :(

Anyway I'm keepin on tip vday so I will keep you posted...
I welcome any loss,, the 170's would be nice.

Ilene
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I hope I don't get kicked out of the group :( :lol: silly girl, no way!! Hang in there things will settle and you'll find the right macro nutrients...

Mahalia
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Hey girls! (are we all girls, here?)

I just thought I would check in. I tried to do the whole 30, but went back to cheese after week three. During the three weeks I caught a cold, and had TWO migraines. I've never had to migraines so close together. So clearly, getting rid of dairy was not anti-inflammatory for me. I guess everyone's body is different. So I was trying to figure out what's up with the migraines, and think it might be the tyramine in the sausage and hot dogs (organic and nitrate free, but still, tyramine is naturally occurring) And nuts, nuts have tyramine. Man how I love nuts. So I cut out nuts (I was having trouble not eating too many anyway) and try to limit my bacon and aged meat consumption. I don't think I can cut it out, it's just too convenient some days. I also started reading some books on intuitive eating to see if I could eat a bit less.

As you know, I gained 2-3 pounds after starting paleo, while everyone around me loses on it, so clearly it's overconsumption. So in the last week since I fell off the cheese wagon (really I cautiously and purposefully disembarked) I have lost those 2-3 pounds! I have been eating a bit too much, and eating too many nuts. I've actually added more fruit (still just 2-3 servings a day) and don't over do it on the cheese.

So now I am at 166 this morning, with just 8 pounds to go to be comfortably in the healthy BMI range, and at my New Year's Resolution goals. I'm in no hurry, though.

I'll probably add some nuts back in eventually, but try to have them on days when I don't have processed meat, just making sure I don't eat all the tyramine stuff in one day. Aged cheese has it to. All the stuff I eat!

Wildviolets - it's so hard to figure out how to keep a child at a healthy weight, especially when they feed them crap everywhere you go. Our school system here hands out breakfast to kids, and they are so proud of that. They gave us breakfast packs one day so we could see, and I was appalled. It was full of goldfish crackers and other useless crap. I know the kids needs to eat, but how about an apple? Something fresh? Anyway, baby steps, girlfriend. If you can find some kind of active play that he likes to do, and just try to get him to eat a little better, a little less, it will work out. He doesn't have to be 100% percent, kids metabolisms are much more resilient than ours. Just got for very small changes and focus on the positive, play, fun, and eating yummy food.

As for Rob Wolf and Gary Taubes, they are my heroes! GCBC was what started me down this path, and now I love listening to Rob's podcast while I lift.

Also, my neighbors did a whole 30 (did I mention that I talked them into that?) and two of them are getting blood work done now that it's over. I can't wait to see the results!

Arkansas Kel
02-10-2011, 08:21 PM
wildviolets: I'm glad u are concerned for your son instead of in denial (have seen that happen), but it doesn't make u a bad anything. He has influences beyond you. But example is the best influence, so demonstrate healthy. I've always heard, and it does work on my friends grandkids, to always have present foods you would like the to try. Offer them but don't force them. If it's present often, they might happily and thus see that food in a good light. I also like the walking idea - walking to school is still cool right? I say engage him, but agree, don't make it work. Draw him into physical things you do - gardening, cleaning, heck tag or toss a ball too, get him into being more physical. I'm not sure you can raise a child in a sugar free bubble - but you can increase his activity. Sorry for the soap box, I was the "fat kid" who became the fat adult. My parents were big eatin', TV watchin, recliner sittin, smokin' example setters. I don't smoke though :) ya me!

Natalie: Dana Carpender does a similar thing now and then to control weight - I think she calls it a meat fast? Anyway, I don't think it would be harmful to a otherwise healthy person anyway. Good luck with it - keep posting the results.

Today was on plan right up until what we'll call the "satan's temptations luncheon." I dove off into it with a plunge. Seems like a daily dive in. Anyway, back on plan for supper and watching the movie RED with DH. Downer - TOM is here - so up the clomid ladder I go. :(

Athenacapella
02-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Another day on plan. Woot woot!

But...

The weekend is coming. The last 3-4 weekends in a row have been gigantic binge fests. I feel pretty solid coming into the weekend. I bought some new furniture, so I have a project to take on. Also I want to try going to a local farm here Saturday to get some grass-fed meat. I've never bought from a local farm, so it will be an adventure.

But there's always that fear. Will I make it? Do I have what it takes to stay on plan during the weekend?

Mahalia, this may be SO totally far off. But did you stop using salt when you went paleo? I tried to go paleo maybe 4-6 months ago, and I had the worst headaches of my entire life. It turned out that my adrenals weren't functioning so hot, and my sodium (which was on the low side to begin with, but no doctor ever told me or asked me about sodium intake) plummeted when I stopped using salt. I take some adrenal supplements now and use a lot of Celtic sea salt and it has barely gotten my sodium in range. Like I said, may NOT be what's going on in your case, but I wanted to mention it in case it could be helpful.

wildviolets
02-11-2011, 08:16 AM
You all are so kind.....I appreciate the advice and will take it to heart regarding my little boy. He truly is the light of my life and I want to be the best mom I can be.......

YEsterday he and my DH were both home sick so I got nothing accomplished as far as his diet. Today (hoping he's better and goes to school) I can take all your suggestions and I'll make a list of what he eats and try to make healthier substitutions. And I'll see where i can sneak in more exercise.....we live too far away from school and it's all uphill. I think he will be much better in the summer as he loves to ride bikes (we live on a bike trail) and we have a pool.

Truly I apprecite all your advice. Thanks for all the suggestions.

On a side note my DH is not losing any weight this time. Even in the fall he did a sort of Atkins type of diet and lost 20 lbs like that. This time.....nothing. I don't even know what to tell him so I'm letting him figure it out. I"m just glad he is trying to stay healthy!

Natalia
02-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Weighed today and down another pound! Thank goodness something seems to budge things..

And was poking around last night and apparently SSRI's can make it easier to gain weight and far harder to lose it. It affects carbohydrate metabolism. I am on the highest dose of cipralex for anxiety.. So I am kind of glad to hear that! I mean it's good news and bad news. The bad news is obvious; the good news is if I ever get off it my metabolism of carbs should be slightly more normal and need to keep slightly less of a rein on it.

I knew that losing the weight this time would be a test of patience as I have to have almost zero carbs to lose (<6) but I'm done feeling sorry for myself, it is what it is. Plus I'm confident I can maintain on a more normal level of carbs, prob between 30-40.. Which after a meat fast nis insanely high!!
All perspective....

So I figured out the rash was from a tnf blocker I'm on and not the green tea capsules. I may give them another try.

Hope everyone is having a big n meaty Friday!!!!

wildviolets
02-11-2011, 09:11 AM
One more question....

In all of your opinions.......I am going to find ways to add more protein to ds's diet but I was wondering what you thought about breads?

I was going to cut out the bagels, sugary oatmeal and white bread but what do you all think of the following on occaisson:

tortillas
sandwich bread (any suggestions here?)
popcorn (thinking of popping in coconut oil on stove)
cereal
oatmeal (thinking of switching to homemade with flax and real maple)
muffins (made with almond flour or coconut flour)

My DS is coughing like a seal.....off to the doctors. He's so upset he is missing school. He really likes kindergarten.

Natalia
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
In my opinion, I think you shouldnt worry about some starch in the diet unless he is super morbidly obese or is on steroids or something. Other than that, IMO carbs have a place in childrens diets. But not too many carbs, of course.
I would limit sugar to special occasions and limit starch to a couple child size servings a day. I think it's not generally the problem that our kids are getting starch, just that they're getting too much.

Every meal with starch I would try to balance that out with protein and fat so he is satiated. Larger flake oatmeal with a tbsp of peanut butter maybe?
If he likes egg you could serve him a homemade egg mcmuffin for breakkie.
Popcorn I see as fine.. It would be more satiating to get the super low fat one without all the weird oil chemicals and I would add a couple tsps of melted butter. I know for myself that without the butter on popcorn I could eat a barrel and still not be satisfied. But add butter and I stop on my own, in a reasonable portion.
I would make sure he's getting no calories from drinks, except milk. And the food guide only recommends 2 dairy servings a day for boys; less than some of us think.

Cereal sure but try to find one with at least a couple gram fiber and low or no sugar. Ds likes cheerios.

This is controversial but I think whole wheat anything is a huge crock and a lie. The gi is almost identical. I would treat excess whole wheat stuff just as hazardous as white. That said, if we enjoy the taste the same I do buy whole wheatversion. We have ww bread as we prefer it,, but we hate ww buns or brown rice.

So as long as the starch is well balanced with adequate protein I think things will fall into place. If he's already had lots of starch for breakkie you could try half a pita or tortilla for lunch with adequate meat, fat and a few veg..

I plugged in the figures for ds and it says he is "at risk" for becoming overweight. His bmi is 17 but at that age he's in the 89th percentile which puts him in the at risk category.

Food for him is hard as mentioned but right now were working on cutting drink calories ( he adores apple juice and iced tea)

Mahalia
02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Athena - you raise a very interesting point! I've been paleo+dairy since October and no problems, but one of the things I did change during whole 30 (when I was Paleo without dairy) was I switched to unsalted nuts! And I was eating a lot of nuts, so that would have been a big drop in sodium. I don't watch sodium, put lots of salt on roasted vegetables and eat bacon regularly, but that still would have been a big change since I was eating salted nuts daily. Is there a way to test for sodium? How do you know if you have enough?

Wildviolets - I would think it would be very hard for a child to be paleo. Your idea of including the healthier breads, especially if they are paired with protein (a la the Zone, I guess) would help with sugar control and satiety. Check out the GI index and including the most whole grain version available. Goes he seem to have any trouble with gluten?

wildviolets
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Natalia and Mahalia.....thanks for your thoughts .....sometimes I get confused trying to eat one way for myself yet thinking about how to feed my family.

He doesn't have a problem with gluten and I agree Natalia about the whole wheat bs........I think I'm going to find a few "bready" type things he can eat and find the healthiest brands of those and up the protein (which will be a bit of a challenge). Also I have to get rid of all the sugary stuff in my house.....I still have halloween candy from his school.....and find some good alternatives.

I dont' mind giving him buter, coconut oil and the healthier fats. I'd rather do that then the chemicals (in popcorn for instance).

Off to the doctor.......and really thanks for the input.....it helps. None of my other friends get this woe so they are not much help.

Natalia
02-11-2011, 10:00 PM
so, today went out to eat for supper... at a real restaurant where the waitress comes to you. I have never, ever been able to stay onplan before at a restaurant..i usually end up ordering dessert fries gravy poutine ..the whole shebang..LOL

Well, tonight, though it wasnt *exactly* a meat fast, it was darn low carb!

I ordered the half chicken rotisserie, with no roll, no chalet sauce, and greek salad for the side. Dressing on the side. Diet pop to drink. Yay!! I'm feeling verry full now though..maybe shoulda gotten the 1/4 chicken but I wanted to feel full so I wouldnt be tempted to order dessert! LOL

And we are taking D there next week ( so weird bc we rarely go out to eat) he's turning 3 and his favorite food is RIBS! What a kid! LOL
So I think I"m going to get the 1/4 chx (1/2 if I'm starving), side of greek and a pinot grigio.
I'm not making his birthday cake because when I make cakes I make the most orgasmic frosting and its one of the impossible to resist situations. Usually when I am preparing frosting I feel like I'm going into a diabetic coma.
So because of that, I am ordering him a cake this year. And I am going to whip myself a one minute muffin with ground nuts instead of flax.. chocolate of course (cocoa) and I'm going to find a luscious single serve LC frosting I can slather on it. I know if I go to the trouble of doing this then I won't snack on his cake. (I won't lie- usually whenever there's cake in the house I eat 3/4 of it. I just can't seem to help myself! I am going to get a small cake and offer it up to everyone!! Then keep it out of sight.

What's everyone doing for V-day?? We don't really have plans but since its a weeknight won't be going out..maybe ordering chinese. If we do I'll get the moo goo or the gai ding (chicken and vegetables) with no sugar or MSG.
I did ask MIL though to take the kids tomorrow so we could have a wee bit of time to ourselves :) Don't know what I'm doing yet but I have 2 thick, juice grilling steaks in the fridge!
I challenge everyone to stay OP during V-day!! Tell dh NO candy or chocolate, please. The chocolate's not going extinct- it'll be there when we're in maintenance. As for meals, if you know a healthy restaurant or two I suggest looking at online menus to check carb counts. Usually the entree salads are a BAD idea! But sometimes you can find a grilled chicken caesr no croutons. I just find they put in so much crap that the carb count is outrageous, not even including the dressings!!
Almost everywhere will do double veg instead of the starch so thats an easy sub.
Have a happy, onplan weekend everyone!!

deetermined2
02-12-2011, 01:04 AM
wildviolets,

I think you should approach the principal about the use of food rewards by the school and try to enlist his help. At some point, food rewards were no longer allowed in at least one of the local schools here. That policy was actually put in place a few years ago. The teachers made an effort to come up with alternatives. (Occasionally, food treats still happened during the first year, but not very often.)

In some districts, students are no longer allowed to bring in food treats on their birthdays. They can hand out other things, just not food.

walking2lose
02-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Up early to proctor the ACTS at our high school when all I want (and need to do is sleep). This weekend needs to be project sleep for me!

Violets - I agree with all responses about your son - he is absolutely adorable in the pic with you, and I'm sure you are a fantastic mom. Schools are beginning to shift to more awareness about all the sweets, etc. It might not be bad to discuss with principal or teacher to enlist some support there.

Natalia - yay for the scale moving!!!

Ate a litttle off plan here and there all week -- birthday week, what can I say. A student made me cupcakes, and I had one. My husband bought me truffles, and told the waiter in the restaurant it was my birthday, so they brought dessert (good job, hon). Anyway, I do feel a little bloated, and I have a strong desire to eat clean.

I may well start a whole30 on Monday.

Have a good day, girls! Hope everyone got more sleep than I did last night!

Athenacapella
02-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Mahalia, sodium (and other electrolytes) are part of one of the most basic blood tests doctors do on a regular basis. The test called CMP would have a basic liver function test on it as well.

I only found out I had low sodium when I started on a quest about 4-6 months ago to figure out what was wrong with me. I got copies of all my lab tests from the past 2-3 years, and the most recent sodium test showed a level below range. Prior lab tests showed it was just in range, but I was eating a high salt diet at the time. But doctors NEVER told me. Here I was living with daily, horrible headaches that no pain med could touch, and the answer was there all along.

*sigh*

So for the rest of my life, I will be getting a copy of the actual blood test results. Some doctors don't want to give it to you, but you have a legal right to it.

If you do have low sodium, it might indicate your adrenals aren't functioning as well as they could be. If you have symptoms like fatigue along with it, I'd encourage you to see a good naturepath. Robb Wolf talks about adrenal fatigue quite a bit - check it out.

Athenacapella
02-12-2011, 08:41 PM
So it has finally happened. My appetite is quite diminished. Today I had just a few slides of bacon (because I got full), and then was not hungry again for hours. And now I'm looking at my huge plate of brussels sprout/shrimp salad, and I only ate about half. I'm just full.

The hypoglycemia is gone. I've finally completed the withdrawal from sugar. WOOT WOOT! And eliminating the rest of the foods I'm intolerant to has really helped. I feel SO MUCH BETTER. But I'm furious at the medical community for not telling me about such a test years ago.

When I was paleo in 2009, I was losing a pound a day and that was when I was in the 180s. So I'm anxious to see what the results are.

wildviolets
02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
So today I made DS some steel cut oats with strawberries I cooked down and some vanilla cream. (He just started liking strawberries and cream oatmeal by QUaker which is just pure junk I know). He said it wasn't sweet enough so I add a bit of stevia......He didn't really like it but I'm going to be persistant because i think it's just because the texture is different (and of course not as sweet). In a couple days I"m going to try maple oats with good syrup. I have some serious grocery shopping to do......reading labels and finding good brands.

Athena, that is very interesting about sodium and headaches. I've always had bad premenstrual migraines until recently I figured it out that it had to do with water retention before my period. So now i drink a herbal PMS tea for 4 days before and it helps SIGNIFICANTLY. I was thinking there is a comparison between my story and your story due to water retention possibly?

Also one time i went out to dinner with friends and had a pasta with alfredo sauce (something I don't normally ever get) and it was ridiculously salty. My one friend wouldn't even at hers. Of course I ate all of mine and on the way home I had a terrible migraine.

I need to listen to some of Rob Wolfe's adrenal podcasts......I think my fatigue is somehow related. I go to my gyne on Tuesday and I want to talk to her about some of my issues but I don't have high hopes for any help from her. I'd like to go back to my naturopath but i don't know have the money for it now.

I'm thinking of starting some IF'ing this week. Does anyone do that anymore? I just fermented some veggies and starting that too this week for my stomach. THey are not the tastiest but are supposed to be good for us!

Have a good Valentine's Day if I don't get back here tomorrow.

Natalia
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Today marks the end of four weeks of low carb eating-- start weight 185.8,
Current weight 180!! I may be the tortoise but I am trending downward and free of the cravings monster. Yay!

Yesterday was date night... We had juicy thick steak with a pat o butter. -and a few grilled mushrooms.. And we went out to the mall and I made the conscious decision to not get a latte as I couldn't afford the extra carbs so I just got a reg coffee at timmys one cream 1/4 packet splenda.

Had a bit of a sick tummy yesterday afternoon so skipped lunch but had a late breakkie of ricotta creme, coffee, and 2 servings walnuts.
I also had 2 glasses of wine with my steak. Muhahaha!

I'm going to make a low carb cheesecake the day before d's birthday. I will NOT have cake with sugar icing!!!! Icing might just be my number 1 weakness.... But I know I can resist.

Starting to get a cold and sore throat over here too, ugh! And even the no sugar cough drops have 2.8g carbs each.

Check in later!

Arkansas Kel
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
wildviolets: I'm so proud of your concern for your son. I've heard many a mother just go into denial or become defensive. At least you can control his home environment if nothing else.

Kudos to Natalia: it's always good when things roll your way isn't it! Keep up the good work!

Also kudos to Athena: Sounds like you have found your path!

OK, Friday we had a bad day. DH broke down on side of road coming to pick me up. Borrowed car from work, picked him up. It was late. We were starving. We ate mexican restaurant - we ate a LOT. I ate until I was nearly sick.

Saturday I had to work, even though I'd been bloated and gassy all night from that bad meal. Got to work and started having diarrhea. Thought I could tough it out. Couldn't. Came home after practically every coworker gasped at how pale I was. I felt awful. Bed all day. Bed all night nearly. diarrhea everytime I got up or rolled over for awhile. Yesterday's entire food consumption: 1 12 oz regular gatorade and 1/2 of a 44 oz sonic slush, and 1 glass water. Whatever goes in shoots through like a rocket. ack.

Today tried to eat a few bites of cheeseburger DH got me and it sent me running back to the throne room. So I guess I'm on a fast so to say. Forced compliance. The good news, I will have broken my habit of eating at all, so I can start back on the right foot. Whenever I am able that is.

And I invented a new word - frever. That's freezing with fever. I've had a lot of frever with this!

Natalia
02-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Kel- that sounds awful! Sounds like maybe you got food poisoning from your Mexican meal. I hope you feel better soon.

D wears you out- I have severe crohns so I too have the tshirt. Lol
Just keep yourself hydrated and let it pass. Maybe dh can pick you up a few soups, sf powerade and boost or rts low carb shakes. Or if you have powder he could make you a yummy protein shake. Nurse it slowly and have lil sips.

You will feel better soon!!!!

Ilene
02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Kel, feel better soon :hug: ...

Wviolet, you're a great mom!! DS will get used to the new way of eating once his taste buds get away from the frankenfoods...

Athena, interesting about sodium...

Natalia, that's the exact same thing I do when I go to the restaurant you are talking about :lol:

This weekend my SIL and I went to Yoga Camp in the Laurentians, they had a snow shoeing weekend... So we got there on Friday night but missed the Yoga class... But Saturday we did the 8am 2hour Yoga class, then went snow shoeing for an hour, had a nap :lol: ... then did another 2 your Yoga class, then when on a moonlit snow shoeing with our guide... then this morning before leaving we had a 2 hour Yoga class again and breakfast then came home... I feel pretty good too :yes: ... The only thing is that the meals are alllll vegetarian :shrug: but it's super clean eating so I went with it, I doubt I gained weight... It was a good weekend all in all, I really enjoyed the snow shoeing ...

Ilene
02-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh, just wanted to also ask, any suggestions about a book to read... I need to order a book for DS and want to order one for myself at the same time... I was going to order Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes, I cold not get into his other book it was too complicated for little ole me, would this be a better choice?

I'm svelting!
02-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Kel -- hope the digestive roller coaster ride is over.

wildviolets -- it sounds as if you're doing all the right things to have your son be as healthy as he possibly can and without creating control issues for either one of you :congrat:

Athena -- thanks for the info on sodium and adrenals. I've cut back sodium a lot since November and have been feeling a bit draggy. :chin: This was the first year in many that I didn't get a copy of my lab results from my doctor. Now I'm going to get them and see.

Ilene -- people have said that Taubes's "Why We get Fat" is much more accessible than his "Good Calories Bad Calories" I'm tempted to skip reading GCBC and go directly to WWGF.

Natalia & Ilene: I order the same things at SC when I go. I've never had the ribs, though. Are they any good? :D

I've been slow and loose with my primal/paleo WoL. I'm definitely inspired by what you all took on in the Whole30 and what you accomplished. Jumping in whole hog feels overwhelming to me right now.

Last week I had fewer -- but not 0 -- protein bars. This week my goal is to follow my dinner & next day leftover lunch plan 4 out of 5 weekdays. If I have a good lunch and good breakfast (enough protein, fat and some small amount of starch), I have no cravings and have energy in the evenings to do what I need to. I also will get out at lunch each day for a 10 minute walk, building up the frequent slow movement.

walking2lose
02-13-2011, 11:15 PM
What restaurant are y'all talking about?

Kel - so sorry to hear that you were so sick. I agree it sounds like food poisoning to me... ugh.

Violets - I would maybe caution against the IF'ing or else recommend you do it conservatively -- like eat a very early dinner and then don't eat until lunch - but nothing too long. The reason I say this is that I've listened to Robb Wolf say over and over again that IF'ing should really only be done when everything else is "dialed in" -- in other words, if sleep, exercise, diet, stress, etc. are all good, then it may be time to experiment. Otherwise, he says it is more of a stressor on the body and can increase cortisol and have other backfiring effects. Just a thought.

Ilene - wow, what an awesome sounding weekend! I just started R. Wolf's Paleo Solution. I did read GCBC but agree it's super scientific. I have his Why We Get Fat in my Amazon cart and think that's the one you should get. I can't wait to read it.

Svelting - sounds to me like you are doing well! Easing in is fine and easier for some. I eased in over a couple months and don't think I would have been ready to do whole30 either initially. I had a really hard time giving up things like rice and beans and other "healthy" foods that had been staples for me for so long. I am 9 months in now, and it's normal to me now.

Natalia - happy bday to your son -- sounds like you have an outstanding plan as to how to handle it.

I ate well this weekend, but need to get moving to bed. Sleep, sleep, sleep... gotta work on sleep! Night all!

Ilene
02-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Claire, us Kanuks :lol: we're talking about Swiss Chalet, it's a Canadian chain of restaurants, specialty is chicken...

Natalia
02-14-2011, 03:05 PM
hi ladies!
Will check in later- i have a bad cold, sore throat, pain radiating thru my jaw and some kind of eye infection. Lovely!!

To the person who asked about the ribs at SC (sorry I can't remember- 2 nyquil's LOL) umm NO they're not that great and I would make them homemade but our family always had a tradition of eating out at the b-day person's choice :) We are in small-city NB so the only choices are SC and Montana's. Montana's ribs are even worse than SC's and everything else at Montana's is bad food at a high price. We went there, just dh, me and the 2 kids (D shared off our plates) no dessert or wine or anything and the bill was $80+. AND we all came away disapointed, We enjoy St Hubert's ribs but it's no longer in our city (No in NB it's not a gay restaurant ..LOL)

As for tonite.. I am not sure whether I am up to crunching on veggies with my moo goo no sugar, no MSG .. I may just have a protein shake. Mind you my appetite is still with me (maybe more than usual) but I can barely open my mouth without my jaw giving me heck!

I hope everyone else is having a great V day!

Athenacapella
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Natalia, oh, no! Plenty of Vitamin D, hun! I hope you feel better really soon. That stinks!

Hey, question for everyone. Have you experienced widely varying hunger on paleo, especially at the beginning? Saturday I was barely hungry (so ate less), but yesterday I was ravishing and I ate more.

Today I was barely hungry again. Even now my stomach is rumbling as I'm cooking, but I'm not hungry. So wondering if I'll be really hungry tomorrow again.

I'm svelting!
02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Claire Thanks for the feedback about making a gradual transition. I did eat mostly primally in November but deviated on vacation and through the holidays. Probably taking it in smaller, more manageable steps is the best plan. I've done too much "all or nothing" -- 3-4 weeks of "all" and then months of "nothing".

Natalia Sounds like the flu to me. Take care of your self! And thanks for the caution against ordering ribs at Swiss Chalet and Montanas. I'll stick with my local barbecue smokehouse. I've never heard about any reputation of St-Hubert, though there aren't any outlets in Ontario any more.

I'm having a great -- but definitely a 20% "un-primal" -- day. Best intentions this morning got sidetracked by wanting to fit in around a work team heading out for a quick lunch, then sweets from my sweetheart. What is it Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."?

Natalia
02-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Ugh now I am alternating between fever and chills. I drank an Atkins shake for supper- and then just all the beverages I can take. I'm just worried bc I am on remicade which suppresses the immune system a lot. I will have to call the gastro and the remi nurse tomorrow... The last thing I want is for it to turn into something worse

Gonna take some nyquil , try to stay up
For Heavy and then go to sleep.

walking2lose
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Oh Natalia - that doesn't sound good! Get better, and yes, call the nurse if you don't turn around today!

Svelting - yes, I truly think gradual is ok, and for me, it was necessary. Like I said I had a hard time at first wrapping my mind around eating more fat, meat, etc. Reading and learning and gradually making the changes and feeling better are what turned me around. But it took awhile!

Valentine's dinner with DH was wonderful - steaks, cauliflower with hollandaise, green beans. I've been having chocolate here and there since my birthday last week, and I am feeling the need to do a clean month. However, we are going out of town this weekend, so I suppose I'll start that next week.

I'm home from work today (mental health day). Sadly, I plan to catch up on my grading (we only have planning time every other day... so not much time at work to get anything done), so I'm off to refill the coffee and hit the essays.

Have a good day, ladies, and feel better Natalia!

Bam716
02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Not to be the sloooow person here but can someone fill me in on the Paleo diet? I have done a little research on it but haven't found a lot. Thanks!!

Athenacapella
02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Oh, just wanted to also ask, any suggestions about a book to read... I need to order a book for DS and want to order one for myself at the same time... I was going to order Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes, I cold not get into his other book it was too complicated for little ole me, would this be a better choice?

Ilene, sorry I missed this question the other day. yes, I think that would be an excellent book for him to read.

HOWEVER, if he wants to watch a movie instead of read a book, what about the documentary "Fat Head"? It's free to watch online right now on Hulu. However, you might want to decide if that's partially the wrong message because he sets out to say that fast food doesn't make people fat; it's sugar and grains like wheat.

Risssa
02-16-2011, 01:11 AM
I am not strict primal/paleo, but I am definitely following their principles. I've definitely slid the past few days (V-day did not help). I am getting back on track. I am looking forward to posting more and reading other peoples stories.

I'm svelting!
02-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Not to be the sloooow person here but can someone fill me in on the Paleo diet? I have done a little research on it but haven't found a lot. Thanks!!
Welcome!

A quick 1-page summary of one person's take on paleo is Dr. Kurt Harris's site PaNu Getting Started (http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/)

Another presentation of the information is Primal Blueprint. Link to page of info (really a page of links that form the basis of Mark Sisson's book, Primal Blueprint) -- Primal Blueprint 101 (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/)
Welcome!

Essentially it's about minimizing foods that are hard on the body -- sugars especially fructose, grains, industrial seed oils (sunflower, safflower, canola). Some paleo eaters take more of an anthropological approach (what would someone living 20,000+ years ago have eaten), others base their choices on research and understanding the flaws in what is sometimes called CW or "Conventional Wisdom" research.

...HOWEVER, if [you want] to watch a movie instead of read a book, what about the documentary "Fat Head"? It's free to watch online right now on Hulu.
Athena & Ilene Many programs on Hulu are only available to computers with IP addresses inside the United States. I came across a presentation that the writer/director/star of Fat Head gave. It's flat -- him talking to a series of presentation slides -- but informative. I'll try to dig up the link.

---
me: Yesterday was stressful at work. I'm guessing that having had days/weeks of higher sugar + grains and little to no exercise were contributors. Today will be less stressful -- a training day where I'm facilitating, and no moving around from project to project and meeting room to meeting room. I'll probably walk beyond the nearest subway stop to get some movement in, not to mention oxygen!

wildviolets
02-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Frustrated......I found some snacks from Costco's that looked very clean to give my DS. He still has a bad cold and when I asked him to try them he hated them.....so I'm once more stuck with a big back of snack food that I don't want to eat. I'll make him try it again when he's feeling better. Then I made a smoothie and added a few baby, spinach leaves and I didn't think you could tasted it at all......he of course said it tasted funny. I was so mad. However I think it's his taste buds from being sick so I'm going to cool it for awhile til he's back to his old self.

I've been listening to Robb Wolfe.....he's very enthusiastic! I bought his book and I'm going to try to follow the meal plan and see if it works for me.

I went to the gyne yesterday and she essentially said that my problems (fatigue, weightgain, low libido (TMI?)) are more likely signs of depression and that I should see a therapist and discuss it. I was totally annoyed because while she may be partially right, she didn't even want to check anything else. I think I"m goign to find a new gyne next year.....this one makes me feel annoyed if I ask questions or have any problems.

However I am going to take her advice. I think I am a bit depressed and that saps my energy. I think however if I lose weight that would help me alot....I would feel better about myself and have more energy to do the things I really want to (play more with my DS and to be more active in life).

I'm also not goign to get bogged down on trying to figure out what is wrong with him (adrenal fatigue, sleep issues, thyroid, perimenopause, leaky gut). I can get information obsessed. Because every book I've read on the above, basically suggests a healthy, balanced lifestyle.

So here I go again.......wish me luck that I will stick with this Robb Wolf think for at least a week or two. I am the worst at sticking to anything for more than a few days. However I'm starting to think this is my last chance to try before I just give up. I've been into this Paleo/Primal thing for almost a year now and it's the only thing that has felt right for me.

Sorry for the book.....I should have put all this in a journal! :)

Natalia
02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, feeling a smidge better. My appetites still down and I've been not journaling my food while I had the flu but just kind of picked at what I wanted. Some protein shakes. I did have a small bowl of oatmeal with protein powder, butter and cream yesterday as that's what I wanted.. And it really helped soothe the throat.

I am so glad now that I'm ordering d's birthday cake; that pressure I wouldn't want when sick. I called the remi nurse and she said if my fever lasts over 48 h I should go to be seen as it could mean an infection is settling in. But I feel way less hot flashy today so I think I'm on the mend. Mostly a killer headache and cough.

I am back in the 170s! Yay me! So surprised as when I have a cold or flu my body usually maintains but I am glad!!

Wildviolets: I think what I would do is keep the starches he likes and limit the quantity. I would make slight changes as in with boxed oatmeal I would get quick cooking ones instead and add splenda milk and butter. Or if you can find the boxed one with no sugar added or low sugar. Then try to balance every carb with some protein if u can. It'll stick to his ribs way longer.

Most kids prob wouldnt like steel cut oats or that kind of thing.. Just think baby steps!! And maybe try to notice the biggest problem area and target that first... I know with my ds he would think
Nothing of having 3 or 4 bowls of plain dry cheerios-at a sitting! He also loves his juice a lot. We are cutting back the juice, milk with meals, sugar free juice at bedtime and actual juice in low quantities now.

Does ds like veg straws from Costco? Minebloves them and you can have way more than chips for way lesscalories. They are also good dipped as they're hollow. But other than that I might look elsewhere for new things as u say the quantities are very big!!

Risssa
02-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Athena, I did at the beginning. But not so much anymore. Now if I do, it is usually because I am not eating enough protein.

What degrees of primal does everyone do?

Natalia
02-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Risssa ,

My carb level is pretty low for now. As the weight just won't budge unless it is .., but I'm done feeling sorry for myself about it. It's my reality- and the truth is that the less carbs I eat the better, lighter and cleaner I feel :)

I stay under 30g carb and journal my food to make sure my cals are in the 1200-1500 range. I can eat more calories and I won't gain if I keep my carbs low, but for now trying to get some weight off.

In addition, I have no sugar, no starch, I limit my dairy and have very little fruit. I feel that I am on plan with my woe as long as I stay out of sugar and grains ( if I have a day I want more fruit and dairy I do so absolutely with no guilt or regret) I just really try to listen to my body now.

How about you? Are you going for a range or just limiting sugar and refined carbs? How long have you been eating low carb?

Ilene
02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi Rissa, :welcome: I do pretty low carb now, specially since I did the Whole 30 challenge in January and it was so easy... The only thing I've added since January is wine and I did have carbs this past weekend at a Yoga retreat because the menu is strictly vegetarian... but mostly I've cut out dairy, grains and sugar... I feel great...

Today was a good day food wise :D off to the gym in a few minutes too :strong:

Bam716
02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Thank you so much for the links. What has your experience with this diet been? Where does this diet place cheese?? Thanks again!

Athenacapella
02-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I went to the gyne yesterday and she essentially said that my problems (fatigue, weightgain, low libido (TMI?)) are more likely signs of depression and that I should see a therapist and discuss it. I was totally annoyed because while she may be partially right, she didn't even want to check anything else. I think I"m goign to find a new gyne next year.....this one makes me feel annoyed if I ask questions or have any problems.

I am annoyed for you, too. WHY DO DOCTORS DO THAT!!! Why are they so dismissive when women talk about being tired and gaining weight? HELLO! There are many medical conditions that can cause these symptoms, and women should be heard. Low thyroid function and/or adrenal function causes depression.

I can't tell you how many times I heard this when I had blatantly obvious thyroid symptoms. Turns out, yeah, my thyroid wasn't functioning so hot, and blood test proved it. My adrenals weren't functioning so well either, but not at a low enough level that conventional medicine wouldn't take it seriously.

Robb Wolf talks a lot about adrenal fatigue and thyroid function. I think you'll find it interesting.

In any case, everyone, I didn't do so hot today. :kickcan:

I went to dinner with a friend last night, and that went swimmingly. But I got home late. I suspected I didn't have enough food to take to work, and sure enough, mid-afternoon I was starving. I ended up having a diet soda and a candy bar. In my defense, I actually went to the vending machine looking for nuts, but they were sold out.

This after I worked so hard to break sugar addiction. And I did get a headache.

I feel in control now, and it didn't spark a binge. I think I'll be OK. I am going to look into getting some gluten-free, grain-free soy-free beef jerky for these types of occasions. (Since I have so many food intolerances, other "emergency" food like a protein bar isn't suitable.)

In other areas of complaint, my Achilles pain is back. I've had it forever, and it actually disappeared on the supplements I was taking. One was a mineral supplement and used the last of it. Naturepath had suggested switching to a multivitamin when I was done, and I did. Pain came back mildly, and then I took 5 flights of stairs the other day at work. The pain is back now, but I can't prove if it was the steps, the switch in vitamins or something else.

I've ordered new shoes and the old minerals to see if it makes a difference. It is very frustrating to be sidelined.

Athenacapella
02-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Thank you so much for the links. What has your experience with this diet been? Where does this diet place cheese?? Thanks again!

Bam,

I was very successful on this diet in 2009 -- was losing a pound a day at one point and was never hungry and didn't count anything. I had a major stress in my life, though, and I went back to eating a very unhealthy diet.

Strictly speaking, paleo does not include dairy. It's also not recommended for people with digestive troubles or autoimmune conditions like Hashimoto's thyroiditis or MS. But, some people eat dairy and do fine. Some people recommend if you do include cheese or butter to use from local farms, preferably raw/unpasteurized if available.

Risssa
02-17-2011, 03:05 AM
I started out to reduce my carbs in the form of processed sugars, breads, etc and found a lot of the recipes were primal based. I listen to the Primal Solution and Health Mind-Fit Body podcasts for advice.

Right now, the only dairy I eat is yoghurt and the occasional cheese (before I did not eat/buy cheese often and that has not changed), eat quinoa occasionally, and increasing my fats. I do eat fruit (mostly berries with my smoothies) and veggies. My main focus is eating 7 servings of fruits and veggies (with a focus on the veggies), healthy fats, and protein. I do not count carbs and in the future, I plan to go restrictive and start experimenting with how my body reacts to different foods in order to find what works for me.

Right now I am constipated. I did a detox a few days ago (with the guidance of my naturopath) and I think that combined with my previous diet and the change in my diet to lower carb, my gut is trying to adapt. I've never been so aware of my bowel movements before. I will be glad when they are back on track because I hate the feeling of having to poo but nothing is coming out.

Since greatly reducing my sugar, one of my favourite treats is walnuts and tart cherries - taste like candy. I am realizing how much I enjoy cooking with olive oil. And, for those of you who eat sweet potatoes (my body responds quite well to them) I enjoy sweet potato hasbrowns - delish.

What I like about this, very few things are limited - sometimes, you just have to get creative with the recipes.

Risssa
02-17-2011, 03:07 AM
Athena - I know what it is like. I was good for staying away from sugar, but I got distracted with V-Day (and a few days before hand).

I do know some paleo-friendly chocolate recipes (if that is your weakness). I find them better than normal chocolate because they are build on healthy fats, they are satiating.

walking2lose
02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Good morning! Hello to all the new and all primal/paleo threaders!

This is just a quick fly by to say hi -- already time to jump in the shower for work. I have been beyond tired this week and need to get some sleep in a major way. Have been going to sleep ok but doing that waking up early can't go back to sleep thing... not good.

Have a good day all!

I'm svelting!
02-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Good morning!

Yesterday was a day where I took care of myself. :yay: Sleep, slow movement, mostly primal eating.

Rissa Would you post your chocolate treats in the Primal/Paleo Recipes thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/207257-primal-paleo-recipes.html)? I'd love to see them. About the constipation -- have your tried increasing how much you walk? Coconut oil? Magnesium citrate (natural calm is one brand that tastes ok)?

Natalia Hope today you're feeling more than a smidge better.

Athena You and others speak so highly of the info from Robb Wolf. I have to figure out which web/blog habit will be replaced by him.

Ilene
02-17-2011, 11:21 AM
The other day I had a chocolate craving and started eating some regular sweet chocolate, after having two pieces I got angry with myself because I was heading towards that slippery slope on no return, so instead I had a tablespoon of powdered cocoa mixed in with coconut milk OMG it was :cloud9: heavenly !! Completely got rid of the craving...

I don't do cheese at all anymore and am really not missing it ...
Suprisingly because I do like cheese...

Ilene
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Claire -- also wanted to add that I now take Magnesium Citrate and Melatonin before bed and I have been sleeeeeping like a baby :D ... So happy about that...

Bam716
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Are there any Paleo friendly salad dressings? I love salad and can pile on all the veggies but I can't eat them raw. Cooked veggies are no problem for me but for lunch I just don't have the time and would prefer a salad...

Risssa
02-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Svelt – I have increased my workouts and natural oils (flax and coconut oil). I am now on digestive enzymes and acidophilus . I have recently seen discussions on magnesium and constipation, so I am going to look into that.
Has Robb Wolf stopped blogging /podcasting or something?
I will post my recipes on that thread (I like them)

What type of workouts does everyone do? Intense workouts and slow movements?

wildviolets
02-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey there sleep challenged sisters......I've also been taking melatonin and liking it! I also take GABA.....I read a few places that it helps you get a deeper sleep. I'm not sure if it's working but the two together really work for me. I'm going to finish the bottle of GABA and just use the melatonin when I can't fall asleep.....but I too have been sleep well knock on wood!

wildviolets
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
RAM.....I think olive oil and vinegar or any type of vinagrette that you make should be primal/paleo........ I too love my salads and make different salad dressings all the time......Here are 3 from Mark's Daily Apple's free readers recipes cook book......

Thai-Inspired Dressing
▪ juice and zest of 2 limes
▪ 1/2 cup olive oil
▪ 2 teaspoons fish sauce
▪ 1 teaspoon soy or tamari sauce
▪ 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
▪ 2 teaspoons ginger juice* (or grated ginger root)

Basil Apple Vinaigrette
▪ 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
▪ 2 tablespoon apple cider
▪ 1 shallot, minced
▪ 2 cloves garlic, minced
▪ 1 teaspoon mustard
▪ pinch salt
▪ pinch black pepper
▪ 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Raspberry Vinaigrette
▪ 1/4–1/2 cup Raspberry vinegar
▪ 1/2 cup Olive oil
▪ 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
▪ 1 tsp minced garlic
▪ 1/2 teaspoon salt
▪ 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Ilene
02-17-2011, 07:17 PM
I just drizzle olive or flax oil on my salads with salt, pepper and cayenne....My breakfast lately is a couple of handfuls of grated broccoli salad with one egg, flax or olive oil, salt and pepper and cayenne... I have such strange taste :lol:

Athenacapella
02-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi, Risssa! Welcome!

I had a stellar diet day today. Had dinner with my parents last night and she made a paleo recipe I sent her -- pork stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon. It was amazing. I had a leftover piece for breakfast, and I never got hungry. I realized I hadn't eaten lunch at like 2:30, but still wasn't hungry, so I figured I'd just have a snack when I got hungry but never did. Weird. Cool. Weird.

Work has been super stressful for several weeks, not because of the actual work, but because of the egos involved. Feels like no matter what i do, someone is mad at me because they have very different ideas of what they want.

Robb Wolf is still podcasting/blogging; I wish I had known about him sooner.

I feel like the further down this rabbit hole I go, the more I discover everything we're told is wrong.

I'm svelting!
02-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Svelt – Has Robb Wolf stopped blogging /podcasting or something?
My comment was more about how much time I spend on the computer reading about a couple of key interests, health being one of them. I have a regular "route" that takes up a fair amount of time already. So it's more like who do I have to bump in my current line up to make room for RW! oops :o

Arkansas Kel
02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm back. Stomach, and this could be a bad thing, is back to normal. Sickness has passed. Appetite has returned. Internet crashed. :( Internet back as of NOW! WOOTWOOT. I almost feel like I shouldn't be here with all you tonight, as I've not even been trying. Yep, just confessed that. I have found myself more conscious of my choices than usual, but I've not pursued any sort of perfection or even tallying up how much good vs bad I ate. I just ate.

Went to my Ob/GYN and he is doubling my clomid as expected. Gave me lotta hope and I left on cloud 9. Thinks my thyroid may be sluggish based on my general complaints this visit. WHAT!!!! REALLY!!! Well, it used to be borderline. He said I could just start the meds on a low dose and see what happens. :) NICE. Maybe I'm just a skinny girl in a fat thyroid suit? Nah, I'm probly to blame, but it made a nice denial period for me. And Denial is a beautiful river.

wildviolets
02-18-2011, 09:22 AM
So I had this weird dream that I was driving (possibly drunk) and I could not control my car at all and it was so scary because I knew I was goign to wreck or hit someone.........

I have these dreams every once in awhile.....I'm starting to think they are representing my body and my weight. Like the car is my body and I can't control my eating?

Well I got Robb Wolf's book and it's pretty interestings....alot of the same stuff as PB but I'm excited to his meal plan and see if I can stick to it for 2 weeks and then go from there. My big obligations are over until April so I have time to concentrate on my eating and health.

Have a good weekend all.

Sskar
02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey all :wave:

At 99 pounds down and 50+ left to go, I am now trying to keep my insulin levels low by not eating sugars, starches, grains, wheat and still staying ~1200 cal/day (Primal-ish) But I am getting frustrated by plateaus. Perhaps I am using too much dairy (protein supplement on occasion; Greek yogurt with blueberries), perhaps my body is just adjusting, or maybe I need :?:

My exercise right now is limited from a statin-induced myopathy. Yep, almost 4 months off of a drug to lower my cholesterol (NEVER AGAIN), I still cannot exercise because of significant pain in my legs. I hope time and supplements, as suggested by my rheumatologist, will take care of this.

So, any suggestions besides more exercise are welcome!

Ilene
02-18-2011, 10:54 AM
:welcome: Sskar :bravo: on your weight loss so far ... I had never heard of «statin-induced myopathy» so I Googled it and wowser :fr: another reason to eat healthy I had no idea of those side effects...

Plateaus are inevitable, no matter what the plan *sigh*... There are many ways of getting off them... Eat more, then eat less, zig-zag your calories... Exercise more, in your case this may take time though, but eventually you'll be able to exercise... Change up your exercise routines... Start weight training... Make sure your diet is super clean...

Natalia
02-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey girls! Been doing good on plan.
Flu is gone but now am in a lot of pain with a new abcess in a real awkward spot. I really hate that it's so hard to get adequate pain relief when needed.
Tylenol just does not cut it and I'm not allowed to take NSAIDS.

Last night I went to my favorite spa and got a massage and it was so great !
I have been treating myself monthly .. Feels incredible.

Hate to sound selfish but not looking forward to D's birthday stuff tomorrow with this level of pain. I was planning to take them to the pavilion to see Bo on the Go ( free, something about winterfest) but we'll have to see how crippled I am. I lose my patience faster when I'm hurting :( I guess I'll just have to woman up and take a few perc's.

Down another pound! Slowly but surely I will get there. Right now I am excited to get down to overweight bmi (ATM my bmi is between 32-33, yuk)

Will ckin later; have a great day chickies!!

Bam716
02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, had a wonderful day eating! Going out tonight for Crab Legs!! Friday favorite!! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wildviolets Thanks for the recipes!! I will make a batch this weekend!

wildviolets
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Did anyone read "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon.....it's very, very pro coconut. Both this book and Robb Wolf's book talk about how important your digestion is for good health. I know my is not very good so I think I"m going to start take more coconut oil and maybe some probiotics and enzymes. I'll let you know how it goes.

I found a good way to store coconut milk......I poured extras in ice cube trays and then put them in a container to have on hand in the freezer. I made some good thai soup and just plopped a coconut milk cube it to cool it off and make it creamier. Just thought I'd share.

Kel I'm glad you are feeling better.....and Natalia I totally know what you mean by having a shorter fuse when you don't feel good. I hope you feel better and i envy your massage!

walking2lose
02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi girls,

I've had a super busy and stressful couple of weeks - stress = bad for weight loss and good health. Coupled with stress, I've had a lack of sleep, so today I'm trying to recover a bit. I'm going to take a nice walk, grade some papers, clean a little, and be a hermit!

Tomorrow, DH and I are going to the mountains -- near Charlottesville, which is just two hours away. He has a endocrinologist appt. there on Monday, so we're going to do a couple hour hike tomorrow and just tool around. We'll eat a nice dinner out, spend the night, and have half a day Monday as well. I'm looking forward to the getaway though it'll be short.

When we return, I'm going to start another whole30 - I've added a bit of dairy back and had some alcohol the last couple weeks along with too many treats of chocolate. I'm strangely psyched to do whole30 again, as I felt really good on it.

I'm sorry I'm not responding to all personally -- hope everyone is doing well, and I plan to post more once I get rested and back to feeling like myself!

Athenacapella
02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Wildviolets - I haven't read that one yet, but my naturepath recommended it. Did you like it? I did just get her book with recipes in it. He also has encouraged me to use coconut oil for cooking. I personally think it makes the veggies taste AMAZING. Also the local farm I recently discovered sells "chicken butter" to use in cooking, so I'll also be trying that.

Sskar - Wow, I'm so super impressed with your weight loss! HOORAY! You could certainly try cutting down on the dairy to see if it makes a difference. (My testing did come back indicating a dairy intolerance.)

That is SUPER scary about the statin side effect. I am so furious at the medical community for you.

If you're read some of the paleo stuff, you might already know this. Turns out cholesterol may not be the evil we think it is. I've read some evidence is showing inflammation is more important to heart health. (Besides paleo books, see books such as "cholesterol delusion," "the great cholesterol con," "cholesterol hoax," and many more.)

Ilene
02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Wildvioletl -- I just added that book to my Amazon cart and next time I order I will get it... I just recently got "Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife very good read...

Sskar
02-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Athenacapella - I am so past treating my cholesterol with meds. There is little evidence to show that women at low risk of coronary artery disease need treatment. (That's me.) Women at high risk, that is a very different story.
Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm svelting!
02-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Wildviolets - I haven't read that one yet, but my naturepath recommended it. Did you like it? I did just get her book with recipes in it. He also has encouraged me to use coconut oil for cooking. I personally think it makes the veggies taste AMAZING. Also the local farm I recently discovered sells "chicken butter" to use in cooking, so I'll also be trying that.

Probably finicky, advanced primal/paleo stuff (I'm nowhere near being concerned about this): chicken is much higher in omega 6 fatty acid than omega 3. So **if** you're concerned about the balance of fatty acid intake, you may want to carefully investigage and consider "chicken butter." (Consumption of omega 6 fatty acids is positively correlated with inflammation: more omega 6 more inflammation. **Important** I don't know if any one has proved causation; people have observed a correlation which is not the same thing.

Athenacapella
02-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm Svelting -- wow, so much more to learn. I'll definitely not make it an everyday thing.

Speaking of omega 3's, does anyone here eat sardines? They're supposed to be high in omega 3's but I haven't been able to bring myself to try them.

I had a major NSV today. Cooked steak to thank folks for helping me with something, and they baked cookies earlier that day that did not have wheat (so I could have eaten them). Whole house smelled delicious. And I was not only able to turn them down, but I didn't even really want them.

Sskar
02-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Sardines ---> try the ones that are boneless and skinless. I prefer them packed in olive oil. You pay more for the boneless/skinless ones, but I find them much more palatable and higher quality.

Risssa
02-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Kel, that sucks about your thyroid. I hope things improve.

Wild, I just got Robb’s book from the library. I have just been scanning through it. And great idea for the coconut milk storage.

Sskar, congrats on losing 99 lbs! That is amazing!!!! How about swimming? Boxing? You can keep it upperbody focused.

In order to give this paleo thing a true shot, I am going to try eating eggs :S. I, really, only eat eggs if they are in things never by themselves. But in order to stick with this, I need my diversity. First step, trying hard boiled eggs (with a generous heaping of salsa). Second step, pork loin. I eat bacon and ham but the actually real cuts of pork, I don’t usually do. I’ll report on how the progress is going. And my bowel movements are returning to normal!!! The digestive enzymes and acidophilus have helped a lot!!!!
Yesterday I did yoga in the morning and a 1.5 hour easy hike. I live in Vancouver (we rarely get snow) but there was snow on the trail that my friends and I were hiking. It was crazy! I must say, I enjoy living in a city that does not snow, so I was not overjoyed when I say it on the trail. I am glad I had my hiking boots on.

And for dinner we cooked mexicany chicken. I used lettuce leaves and my b/f used tortilla wraps. Using lettuce leaves was not a bad – it was kind of cool! I am making sweet potato hashbrowns for breakfast (or burnch b/c it’s after 12pm). Yum, yum, yum.

I do feel frustrated, at times, when the weight comes off slower. I try to remind myself that it is about continuing on this path. There is a bigger picture to focus on besides the scale. I know I will get there. I am grateful for my health and knowledge.

I'm svelting!
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
We had a delicious winter primal dinner: pot roast (local, no hormone or anti-biotic fed beef blade roast), carrots, onions and baked potato. To be truly primal it probably needs more veg, but was it satisfying. :hun:

Rissa I didn't eat eggs until university, so you're not alone in a slow adoption of egg eating. Adding the salsa is a good choice! My favourite was scrambled with salsa.

Athena Congrats about the cookies! I guess that's what happens when you're well nourished. :cheers:

Athenacapella
02-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Walking2lose: Can you tell us more about the Whole30? I see a lot of posts about it - is it a crossfit thing?

Rissa, I actually found out recently I'm sensitive to egg whites. I'm not sure if that will be a lifelong sensitivity because my gut could just be so damaged from glut en and dairy. When I found out, I told my mom and she said, "yeah, you were allergic to eggs when you were a kid." Gee, might have been helpful information, mom!!!

But point is you don't HAVE to eat eggs if ya' really don't like 'em. ;) That said, there are plenty of good reasons to eat eggs, too, because there is a lot of nutrition in the yolk.

Risssa
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
I did not gag or feel like barfing with the eggs. The sweet potato has was a success. I served it on a bed of romaine lettuce (I got 4 servings of veggies out of one meal). I hard boiled the egg and I found out hard boiled egg yolk = thumbs up, egg white = thumbs down. A hard boiled egg is definitely something I would feel comfortable eating in the future.

I use to eat eggs as a kid, and I even remember smelling the eggs and feeling nauseous. But that was what my mother cooked for breakfast, so that is what I ate. I really just thought it would be useful to have something that I could easily order at a restaurant. Right now my breakfast (I IF so my first meal is around 11am,12pm) is my lovely green smoothie, but that is difficult to order for brunch. I am happy that I 1) tried it and 2) I enjoyed the yolk. Have to head to the grocery store soon to get my produce for the week.

Athenacapella
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Rissa, that's so funny -- I like the whites but hate the yolks. We'd make a good combo. ha ha ha.

Athenacapella
02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Used up my last can of diet soda today. When I bought the cans a week & a half ago, it was with the intention that when I was done with those cans, that was it. I'm not entirely sure I can do it, though. But, here goes...

Risssa
02-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Athena - Be prepared for some unpleasantness. I've heard from people that getting off diet pop can be difficult. But feasible. You can do it. First step, finding a substitute - sparkling water and natural juice when you need a fix.

Ilene
02-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Athena -- Here is a link to the Whole30 (http://whole9life.com/2010/05/whole-30-v2/)

walking2lose
02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
:)Athena - Ilene gave the whole30 link, which you should check out. Basically it's kind of pure or hardcore paleo -- no grains, legumes, dairy, alcohol (!!!), nothing sweet (maple, honey, nothing) for one month. Some of us did it in Jan - I did well but had a few slip ups (whipped cream a couple times, maple syrup, etc), but I still felt GREAT and lost 4 lbs.

I went back to more moderate paleo the last couple weeks (my bday and V-day) since I knew I'd be drinking a little. Also added back in some chocolate and some dairy.

Wanna join me?!

Arkansas Kel
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm back yet again. Internet's been down about 9 days I think. I'm sick again - sinusitus, sore throat, squeeky voice, cough. I give for awhile. I'm just managing to work, eat, sleep. My clothes feel looser, but to tell the truth, I feel so unlike eating, that eating whatever I want isn't too exciting anyway. I'll be back in a few days, with new resolve hopefully. See you soon. :p

Ilene
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Kel, 9 DAYS WITH NO INTERNET :fr: !! I'd get the shakes from withdrawals for sure :lol: ... Feel better soon :hug: ...

Claire, Athena and others I'm thinking of doing a Whole 30 in March again, anyone care to join me?... I am finding this so easy it's almost scary and I'm suddenly getting a whoooosh of weight loss :dance: I feel really good... This month I've had a couple of treats like wine and pizza and a piece of dark chocolate sometimes but that's it... No grains, no dairy, limited fruit...

I've also read the book "Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife" and started using coconut oil in almost everything... I use one that has no taste so I put it in my coffee and tea... I even looked up if it was good for animals because one of my cats has this dry patch on his stomach that is not going away even with many visits to the Vets and meds... He's allergic to something and an allergy test would cost $500 :faint: yea right!!... And lo and behold the patch is going away by massaging the spot and he loves the stuff too so it's easy to give him a bit orally every day... Pretty cool I think...

So anyway, this is my life in a nutshell these days :D... Hope everyone is doing well...

walking2lose
02-24-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm really not having a good week -- sleep-wise, food-wise, stress-wise, or exercise-wise. For all of those reasons, whole30 is being put off until next week.

Ilene - you are my role model right now... gotta get my groove back. Could really use a vacation from my stressful job...

Hope everyone else is doing better than I am!

Where's Susan and Sandy??

Ilene
02-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Claire -- Hang in there :hug:

wildviolets
02-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Claire....hope you situation calms down........

Kel.......I've had bad sinus headaches for the last few years and the neti pot REALLY helps me. I use it a few times a day when I'm stuffed up.....just a thought.

Ilene, I've been eating more than my fair share of coconut products.....I even found coconut milk yogurt and coconut milk creamer at a health food store yesterday.......Got my son to drink coconut milk too!

I just hope I don't get sick of it!

I'm really trying to heal my digestive system.....eating fermented foods and vegetables......using coconut oil and products.....and even taking cod liver oil!
So far not much difference but it's only be a few days.

As for the flaxseed.....I have been craving it as a warm cereal but it just doesn't agree with my stomach. I think I"ll have to wait and try to heal it first. Not to be gross but it makes me SO gassy.

Has anyone tried Natural Calm that Robb Wolf recommends? I saw it at the health food store but it was $24 for a bottle........He said it helps him sleep and I"ve heard him talk it about it a few times.

Natalia
02-25-2011, 11:36 AM
hi girls!

Holy cow, what a crazy week. I survived Saturday but had to cancel the sit down restaurant meal with inlaws as I was having a hard time with my butt and the new infection. I knew I couldnt handle sitting there, even in a cushy booth.

So we ordered in chinese and mcd's for the kids. I had gai ding (chicken with vegetables) I forgot to order with no sugar but there was very little sauce and I didn;t have cravings afterwards.

By sunday I was in total misery. So I went to the ER and was there from 2 pm til around 1030 pm. They said as my surgeon is still on vacay I could go to another city to get a colorectal surgeon (!) as I'm too complicted for a regular surgeon to handle, that they'd just make it worse. Meanwhile I saw my gastro also yesterday after the consult.. and he wants me on 2 antiboitics until further notice (at least until the surgeon gets back)..then I might need surgery and a CAT scan etc.

And, my throat still hurts and all that. SO I have still stayed away from starch, grain, and sugar but the veggies have totally gone out the window. My appetite is -10 and I'm pretty much just eating what I can stomach and that won't hurt my thoat. (cottage cheese, ricotta creme, decaf coffee, and atkins bars.) I was so scared for a gain today as I had too many atkins bars yesterday and since they are a new to me food I was afraid my body would digest all the carbs and not just the net carbs. But I feel good today and lost another lb. So far, this little turtle is keepin' on!! tomorrow marks 6 weeks completed and 8.8lbs gone :)

athena- WOW! diet pop is one of my vices- along with coffee- that I would never give up. esp Coke zero. You are a strong woman!

risssa- I think very few people like just the plain white of the egg when it's hardboiled. Can you stand it mashed with the yolk and topped with mayo or butter?

Kel- I hear ya girl on the illness. Sometimes having a low appetite can be a blessing in disguise. Maybe you could sip on a chocoalte protein shake? Thats what I did when I felt really crappy. Hope you get better soon!

Ilene- sounds like you are in the Zone!!! Congrats on the whoosh! I've never had one but maybe someday :) But I can relate on how easy this feels, at the 6 week mark its totally mindless and effortless (I've never lasted this long and it feels so great to be cravings free!!!!)

Ilene
02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Wviolet -- I've never tried Natural Calm, I can't find it around here, but I have started to take Magnesium Citrate and Melatonin and this helps me sleep very well... Now if only the cats would leave me alone, I could sleep the night through :lol:...

Natalia -- I think the reason it feels so easy is because we don't get those cravings...

I'm also down .5 this morning :D ... I'll take whatever the scale will give me... Someone at the gym noticed I lost weight :dance:

Arkansas Kel
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
cough, sneeze, ack ack. Not back yet. See ya soon.

srmb60
02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Oh I'm here. Just reading.
There's an entire weird set of head symptoms associated with having finished a mission trip and I've got it! So spacey and tired ... kinda daydreamy. As if I normally have a good attention span :lol:

But I'm getting back in the groove. I've eaten very well so far today ;)

Ilene
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Welcome back Susan :hug:

Ugh, I'm having one of those hungry days.... where I cannot eat enough that I am hungry within 5 minutes...

Natalia
02-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Hey ladies- not much new here. I started the 2 antibiotics and one of them gives me a headache that won't go away.. It usually makes me nauseous too but so far so good.

I placed an order with lowcarb grocery. I ordered protein bars, syrups and miracle noodles.. But they called last night and said that they cannot ship the da vincis or noodles in the winter due to freezing temps.

Still holding steady at 177.0. I was glad to see that as I've been feeling huge the past day or so and afraid to see a gain.

It's so exciting that this is finally going to be the year I can wear shorts and nice summery shirts without looking gross or being self conscious. When I weigh less I feel good about my legs. They have lots of scars but they are a beautiful shape, if I do say so myself.. I will use olay tan cream to give them a touch of color and help render the scars less noticeable..

Was thinking of adding a bit of exercise to the equation. I've been sedentary all this time.. And pretty much my whole life. It can make the cd worse so I have to be careful and I know for me it doesn't help much with weight loss but it might make me feel better, more fit.

Hope you girls are having a great low carb weekend!

walking2lose
02-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi all!

Natalia - you're going to look amazing in your shorts this summer! Woohoo, sexy legs!

Susan - good to see you're around! I'd love to hear about your mission trip if you feel like sharing.

I went to Costco today with a friend - I don't have a membership, as it's just me and DH. It was a successful trip, but they didn't have nearly as much paleo/primal stuff as I was hoping for. The meats they had (free range chicken) were more expensive than Trader Joe's selection! I did get a really nice new coffee maker, some dried cherries, another bag of almonds and mixed dried fruit, some produce, and a huge bottle of vit d3!

Sad to report that my weekend didn't leave me rested - I have a lot on my mind - work stress, had a bit of a spat with DH, etc. - I really need to get to bed by 9 or 10 at latest tonight. I'm not even going to turn the tube on. I'm going to grade for an hour and then take a bath and get in my jammies and read. That should help me wind down, right? And I have been taking the natural calm magnesium and a melatonin. If desperate, I'll take my half ambien and call it a night. Oh, how I envy good sleepers!

Hope you all had a good weekend! I'm still wondering where/how Mikki and Sandy are.

Later!

Sskar
02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Hey, all. I'm on vacation for a glorious week in Hawaii. We are staying in a condo, but neither og us want to spend much time in the kitchen. Suggestions for easy eating while away from home?

Thanks in advance.

Natalia
02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Walkingtolose- I love Costco! Lol we just got one in our city last year but I don't normally buy meat there. Aside from the rotisserie chickens, most of the real meat is not cheaper than other places, but from what I hear it's normally better quality. For example the price for stew meat at Costco is the same as the cheap stuff at ss but has way less fat so is more on par with the deluxe meat at ss. Stuff I tend to buy there are almonds, vanilla, vitamins, precooked and reg bacon, veg like spring mix celery and grape tomatoes, etc. The cheese can be a good deal too.

Sorry to hear about the sleep issues. I have them sometimes. I take zopiclone when I need them. Ds has aspergers (notorious for bad sleepers) and the melatonin works wonders)

Sskar- Hawaiian grocery stores are so expensive I actually recommend buying meals out. Plus the last thing you want to do is toil away in your room, a friend of mine did her own cooking on her honeymoon to save money and she regrets it big time..

Go to abc stores and they have tons of Mac nuts for snacks, and yogurt depending on your carb level. Across the street from us we had subway and 7-11. The other side we had a coffee shop.. You are so lucky!!!!!! I can't wait to go back.. But I'd say go to subway get the salads and enjoy yourself !!

What area are you staying? We were at the outrigger east .. It was so great.
Enjoy yourself!

Risssa
02-28-2011, 10:19 AM
I just went through a carb overload. From Friday-Sunday I ate more carbs than usual as a result of work stress. It is such a habit to reach for carbs when I am stressed. But now I am very aware of how they much me feel afterwards = yucky. Starting fresh and clean today. Getting back on track.

srmb60
02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I soooo need to get back in the groove here girls!

I'm going to walking and running errands and thinking and praying. I need to get back in the game.

Sskar
02-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Natalia - thanks for the suggestions. We are staying at the Kona Reef condos just south of Kailiua Kona. They have a wonderful barbecue area (we are right on the ocean) and plan on buying some fish off at the harbor after a whale watching excursion today and cook out this evening. Subway is a really good idea for a quick meal. http://writingtowellness.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/20110227-073713.jpg

Natalia
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Ah, I haven't been to the big island yet. We went to honolulu with a daytrip to Maui . Next time I'd like to at least daytrip to Kauai but we love the tropical metropolis of Waikiki. In fact that's my email address! Lol

I want to go so bad but the kids ate still little so I'm too afraid.. Lol lucky they love to fly but I think the 8+ hours might be pushing it.. So were sticking a little closer til they get bigger. Last yr was disneyworld and next yr we are thinking Bahamas . It's only 15min further than Florida . This winter we aren't going away as dh just started a new job.. Waaahhhhhh!

Yes if you have a BBQ that would be easiest as no cleanup! Then maybe you can just pickup a crudite platter or a family size salad and that should do several meals as a side dish. The mahimahi is good with a texture close to lobster.

walking2lose
03-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Ah...so jealous of those beautiful island pics!

We have become so quiet this week. I'm still busy and stressed with work. Eating is ok, but I've been having a fair amount of cheese, so that means I have still not started my new whole30... BUT I still plan to.

I actually got out of work fairly early today, and DH agreed to go on a walk with me. We're heading to the park for a mini hike.

Have a primal day, ladies!

walking2lose
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I think our thread is in a slump. I miss everyone!

As for me... I'm just popping in after my 13 hour work day, and next week is going to be more of the same. The stress is taking a toll on me... ate some sugar wafer cookies at night school. WTH... I don't even like them!! Made my teeth feel weird and sugary.

Came home and ate some spinach and a burger - better. Now to get a halfway decent night's sleep.

I'm not going to last much longer with this teaching schedule.

Hope all of you are having a great primal week, and I hope everyone who was sick is feeling better! **Excuse all my fragments!

walking2lose
03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Just did a 50 minute walk, and I'm getting ready to make scallops and langostinos for dinner. The langostinos are like tiny little lobsters - they're also called lobsterettes- I bought a bag of frozen ones from TJ's. Has anyone ever had them?

I sure hope everyone isn't down with the flu!

Natalia
03-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Where the heck is Everyone!!??? Not even just on this thread but all over the site. It seems everyone is gone. Do that many people give up by march?

I am still here.. Did the basal temp test as really suspect low thyroid, and it's been significantly under normal which is an indicator of hypo. I also have most of the other symptoms.

Had the big Mac salad for supper and so filling! Yum!

Considering joining a womens fitness centre for a month as they have $1 monthly rate for the first month, no strings...

And march break is here so it will be a different week ...

Natalia
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Claire- I have never heard of or tried Mini lobsters but I love regular ones! We usually get a few feeds A yr... Christmas eve is one of them :)

Hope you're doing well!

CJZee
03-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone! I'm still here, and read what everyone's doing. I've been doing well but very busy because it is our tourist "season" here in South Florida and there are so many activities.

I've been going to my exercise class and sticking quite well to primal. I'm very happy I am easily maintaining while eating as much as I care to. It is wonderful, really, when I think of how I was always hungry prior to this WOE.

Anyhow, at some point I will get motivated to begin losing again but right now I'm happy where I am.

Arkansas Kel
03-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm still here - lurking more than typing as I didn't want to have to reply to myself. Anyway, slowly getting better. I've officially been sick WAY longer than I imagined. I think it's because I had a stomach virus and then the sinusitus/cold/sore throat immediately after - no time to rebound. Plus, IT'S TIME FOR SPRING ALLERGIES! How can spring beauty be so amazing and so evil at the same time. I'm drifting back, but not in a whole 30 way. So far I'm allowing a little modern food still, but heck, I'm not on a whole 30 and when I was I wasn't perfect. I still have made HUGE improvements in our habits. I am amazed at what I don't want anymore. It is time to tweak a little more, we've eaten out more than we need to. So we've both committed to a cooking at home plan, and thus a more primal tilt. I ate somewhat primal eating out, but sometimes we just want what we want.

CJzee - way cool girl. Do what works for you when it's time.

Today, cleaning, cooking a couple roasts - meant to thaw a two pack, and pop one back in freezer before completely thawed. FAIL. Thawed both. So 2 big hunka hunka burning meats coming up for today. Well, I can refreeze it after cooked for a convenience meal night. Win win!

I've started couponing - and wow isn't it great. But no primal coupons, well except a couple for salads and eggs. So, I've decided to tackle learning to garden to cut food costs and maybe cowpool if I can get the cash up and find 3 other cowpoolers. Also, foraging. It's Poke Salat time here in the south I think :) Also, found a source for a little raw milk - for cheap - and I already know how to make yogurt - so :) again. And a source for chicken eggs, however, they eat feed plus foraging. So, a good compromise on eggs. OH, also for CHEAP. :) happy happy happy. Food's gonna get cheaper around the kel house.

Natalia
03-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Ok, I am officially crazy. I decided to do the kekwick diet as outlined in the Atkins book, for 4 days, to get fat burning started . Its basically a fat fast. Even the most metabolically resistant people can lose on it, averaging 0.9 lbs a day.
Dh thinks I'm insane. I figure it'll be a good experiment, and hey, I can do anything for 4 days right ??

I am on day one and on plan. And not hungry at all.. We shall see :)

On a positive note, someone died so I had to try on my funeral pants. One were too big and the other pair, still with tags, fit very comfortably. When I bought them last year I could get them on but they weren't comfortable and I had a muffin top.

I went to that $1 gym but they're closed Sunday's so i might join tomorrow....

Hope everyone had a great low carb weekend!

wildviolets
03-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Natalia, that sounds very interesting (4 day diet) .....please let me know how that goes.....

I'm struggling with whether or not I should join OA.......I just can't seem to stop my compulsive eating.....it seems to be getting worse. Also I'm a bit depressed lately.......I can't seem to get excited about things I once was.....that is why I haven't been posting.......

Kel......you are doing a great job on saving .....I need to do a little more leg work in that area too............

Sskar
03-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Hey, it's March!!!!!

walking2lose
03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Hey, it's March!!!!!

Wow... oops!

Violets - :hug: maybe it would be worthwhile to give OA a try. I don't honestly know a ton about it. Hang in there, sweetie. Make sure you're getting enough vit D- try to get out in the sun, supplement, sleep.

Natalia -good luck, and yes, sounds interesting. What are you eating exactly??

Kel - girl, you are doing great! Tweaking = reality :D

CJ - I've been in a maintenance phase for a month and am ready to lose a little more. But, yes, it is nice to be able to maintain so effortlessly.

Good eating week - did a walk on Fri,Sat, Sun. Caught up on my sleep and then only slept 4 hours last night worrying about work stuff.

I'm very unhappy with my job/school right now - such a rough time for teachers. I am trying to figure out a way to make a change, but boy, change is scary. However, I cannot maintain this level of stress for the next however many years.

Have a good day all!

Natalia
03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Day one fat fast summary:

The good: down 1.8 lbs

The bad: I have this gross taste in my mouth that won't go away and am nauseus

The ugly: woke up at 3am dripping in sweat and in a full-on panic attack. Almost came on here to post! My brain was trying to tell me it hates ketosis I think.. Lol I kept thinking, what if I have a rare case, one of the few people who cannot convert fat to glucose?? In that case maybe my brain was starving for energy. Of course that's ludicrous but if you have anxiety ludicrousness is irrelevant. I still cannot exclude the possibility. However I know with certainty my body can convert protein to glucose so maybe I should do the meat fast. I don't think that gave me the sick feeling.

I have to go to a viewing and funeral and it would be a bad time to feel sick and panicky. Ugh. I don't know what to do today except keep things super low carb and try to get my water in...

Ilene
03-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I started a March thread here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/227448-primal-paleo-march-2011-a.html#post3746075)

CJZee
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Link to Gary Taubes and Dr. Oz
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/man-who-thinks-everything-dr-oz-says-wrong-pt-1

Sskar
03-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Dr. Oz is a cardio-vascular surgeon who is just a TV personality spouting very little evidence-based medicine.

/signed the opinion of a Preventive Medicine physician (me) who knows better than to have gained this much weight and also knows better than to listen to surgeons about nutrition.

CJZee
03-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Sorry, I ended up posting in the old thread, here is the link (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/227448-primal-paleo-march-2011-a.html#post3746075) to the new March thread.