South Beach Diet - SBD Daily Chat: Tuesday, 1 February

Natasha1534
02-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Good morning, fellow beachers!!! Once again, I've been scarce around these parts. This past weekend was SO beautiful, though, that I just HAD to spend it outside instead of in front of a computer. We've been having a lot of rain and cold, windy weather lately so the sunshine and temps in the high-60s/low-70s was a very welcome change. It was an absolutely WONDERFUL weekend and it was much needed, that's for sure.

Thank you to everybody for your kind words on my goal for this year. I signed up for my February 5K the other night and will be signing up for my March 5K soon. I'm so excited!!! :)

Plans for today are gym, sleep, gym again, staff meeting, and then work. Tomorrow is my nephews 18th birthday (OMG!!!) and I'll be taking him out to dinner. Hard to believe he's 18...seems like just yesterday he was falling asleep on my chest. :(

Hope everybody is doing well. What are your plans for this Tuesday???

jandaman
02-01-2011, 03:58 AM
mornin' all!

natasha-wow, if ur on the other side of the atlantic, u must be an early early bird indeed :) envy you that sunshine! have fun tomorrow-my baby brother turned 19 last year....i also remember rocking him to sleep. *sigh*

so: today is gray in gray & i've got lotsa niggles to do: applications to write, laundry to do, über-overdue library books....you get the picture :)
have an awesome tuesday!

LADY WINDSONG
02-01-2011, 04:06 AM
A wise person drinks from the soul of inner beauty.

Natasha1534
02-01-2011, 04:52 AM
jandaman - I don't think I've met you before. Nice to meet you!!! :) I'm a nightshift person, so it's coming up on bedtime pretty soon for me. Right now it's 0451 hrs. Hope you get all your errands taken care of today!!!

LADY WINDSONG - :wave: Have a good one!!!

Ruthxxx
02-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Good morning and Happy February the Oneth! Thanks for starting us up, Natasha and please don't tell me about the Georgia weather. Nice to see Europe checking in too, Jandaman. I can see Marcie too.

Today will be a busy day with my regular stuff plus battening down the hatches for the Monster Snowstorm which will hit the USA and also affect us. (I'm just 20 minutes from the border.) I need to lug in wood in case the power goes out and make sure I have flashlight batteries and candles. I must also scout around for a boyfriend so I don't have to shovel the stuff. :lol: They are predicting 30 cm which is about 12", not as bad as predicted in the States!

Felt rather burnt out yesterday and didn't get much done so today I'm up early and getting it in gear. The washer and dishwasher are both going full blast. I may be wiped by lunch but it looks like a good day for a nap.

New month and new energy!

Mmckellen
02-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Hi all,
Ruth, I think we'll thankfully get a pass on that snowstorm you are talking about. They are saying perhaps 2" for us now and then turning to rain - which will maybe wash the old snow away, or at least some of it. Anyway, I'm just so sick of this weather!! My office has no windows and if I can't get out and walk during lunch, I get very little sunlight during the day. It sucks. I do have one of those bright light things, I guess I'm going to have to dig it out. I can feel the winter blues setting in a bit.

Not much here to report...except, when is groundhog day - tomorrow? If it snows I guess there's no way he'll see his shadow. Isn't the whole thing ridiculous anyway - he'll see his shadow if it's sunny, but it could be sunny and not mean that spring is on its way - or is there something I'm missing about the whole thing? Can the almanac back up his predictions?

Heidi58
02-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Good morning ladies! :wave:

:brr: Looks like another day indoors at school. The kids were bouncing off the walls yesterday and today I'm sure it will be worse, since it will be snowing. I sure wish I knew how to bottle their energy. I could use a little of it myself today.

I've got another long, busy day planned today and I need to stop at the grocery store on my way home this evening I can only imagine what a zoo it will be by then! I'm cringing at the thought, but once I get there I'll probably enjoy myself. Hannaford before the storm is a great place to bump into people you haven't seen in ages! :lol:

Enjoy your day friends. Those of you who are dealing with the storm today be careful! And Ruth, good luck on that boyfriend search. ;)

Heidi58
02-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Good morning Matilda! Yes, tomorrow is Groundhog Day. We're going to "pretend" it's today though because the storm will keep us home tomorrow I'm sure.

I had to smile when I read your post, I have a student in my class this year who asked pretty much the same thing about the groundhog yesterday. "Wait a minute. I think this is a fake holiday. It doesn't make any sense! I think you should look on the internet and see if this is really true or not, Teacher." :rofl:

Things got even more entertaining when I told the kids that groundhog is another name for woodchucks. The boys immediately started quoting the grumpy old man in the Geico commerical (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjGwusHrOtk)! All day long I kept hearing, "Hey you woodchucks, you quit chucking my wood!" followed by foolish giggling. :D

And guess what? I get to go back and do it all again today! lol

CyndiM
02-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Quick fly by again this morning. I've got a 7:30 PT appt (who's stupid idea was that?!). I'll definitely be home tomorrow though and maybe even this afternoon and I'll catch-up with you all. Looks like we getting buried again. I am so sick of shoveling already.

tomandkara
02-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Hi! Quick check-in for me. Had Luke to the doc this morning for his two month well baby check and he's 13 pounds, 1 ounce and 23.82 inches long. Apparently I make heavy cream!

TwynnB
02-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Good morning chicks!

Natasha - YAY for 5K's! I really should try to get into more races. I did one, and didn't enjoy it...but I should give it another chance. Can't wait to hear your race reports!!

LWS - always enjoy your inspiring words!

Ruth - LOL...where are those danged cabana boys when you need them? Hope you find a boyfriend to move that wood!! :D

MMCK - relating to you on your other post RE:slipping. I think I find myself every Monday saying, "I slipped this weekend, now I need to be better". Sigh.

Heidi - when does the storm hit you? Ours started in the night...I went to the grocery store at 3 pm yesterday, and it was PACKED. No parking spaces. I have never seen that! They scared everyone!! (I didn't even try to go in!) FWIW - I don't get the groundhog thing either!!

Cyndi - Hm. I don't like that time slot either!!

Kara - LOL! I miss nursing....I could eat ANYTHING and drop weight. I keep joking to the DH to have another baby so I can drop 10 lbs...didn't work!

Me - it's a snow day for us, so I have a bit longer until I need to get the kids ready, and haven't wrote for a while. My post to MMCK sums it up....few good days, couple not-so-good days. Sigh. Did have an awesome pot of chili last night. Made hoppin' john for new years, and really enjoyed it...so that's what's for dinner tonight. YUM!!!

Have a great beachy day!

annieoh
02-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Natasha: Your monthly 5K's are SO INSPIRING! I'm still looking for my first one, though I think I may have found it.

Jandaman: May your Tuesday be productive and awesome!

Ruth: Hope the snow storm is kind to you!

Mmkellen: My office is windowless too; I always have to ask for snow updates when snow is expected so I know when to try and go home!

Heidi: The grocery store is always the pits when bad weather is predicted. You're a braver woman than I am!

Cyndi: At least your appt will be out of the way first thing in the day!

Kara: Heavy cream - snort! too funny!

Twynn: Chili is delicious, and one of our favorite meals here. I've never had hoppin' john. What is it?

--
So my daughter and her HUSBAND arrived last night. Yes, they got married in secret on Saturday.

Which means I just saved several thousand dollars on a wedding.

http://incrementalchanges.tumblr.com/photo/1280/3041777320/1/tumblr_lfx4b19ace1qf2mii

WaistingTime
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Good morning. We are in the huge band of states getting snow. Officially they are saying blizzard here, partly based on the winds they are predicting. We should miss the worst of the snow and current predictions are 8-12 inches. My teen's teachers all sent home double work in anticipation! I feel a bit guilty that I can't help shovel. Just a bit:)

Annie - Congrats!

Heidi and Cyndi - I saw this hooping link (http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_4683_hula-hoop-basics_-part-1.html)mentioned yesterday and thought of you. I have not checked it out yet.

Hi everyone else! Hard to do personals today - my laptop is formatting the window oddly. Hmm. BBL.

TwynnB
02-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Annie - congratulations!! Hoppin' john is a traditional dish on new years, I never had it til this year, and really enjoyed it. I crossed a couple of recipes...basically saute onion, celery and garlic with a ham hock. Cook with bag of dried black eyed peas in chicken broth with bay leaves and thyme, and a can of chopped tomatoes. Serve over rice (and the rest get corn bread with it). I know the ham hock isn't SBD, but not too bad. If anyone is interested, I can always post the recipes I used.

Karen - aaaawwww, darned, no shoveling! Hope your area doesn't get it too bad!

Lily In Bloom
02-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi all! Hope everyone's day is going well.

It's very gray here, though we aren't getting snow. I'm up a little bit on the scale today, but I'm going to blame a salty dinner. We went out to chili's and, after checking their menu online, I got the carne asada steak with veg. The steak was really tasty, but so, so salty. I don't know if my tastes are changing since being on SB or what, cause I used to love really salty things, but this just knocked me down. It was nice not having to cook, and it was DH's b-day, so for a special occasion dinner I think we did fairly well. No desserts, no cake, just a really nice steak dinner =D

litar
02-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Morning all....I am home again! Two sick ones today! My youngest is running a fever and my oldest has a bad cold that is really doing a number on his asthma! Trying to get in at the Dr. first thing this morning! Jan. has been a sickly month for my family! I'll get back later for some personals unless I am in the Dr. waiting room all day!!!!!

Pearlrose
02-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Good morning,

So I am in the band, we had freezing rain last night and right now it is sleeting but turning over to snow they are predicting 7 to 20 inches of snow for us.

My DS was supposed to work tonight in the town over, I had him get someone to cover his shift we are not going anywhere.

I am doing wfh today and tomorrow for sure. School is canceled for both DDs but DS college will not cancel so he will just miss classes because I am not allowing him to drive :)

Okay back to work we are swamped with everyone else trying to do wfh as well.

Lexxiss
02-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Good Morning:brr:

I'm glad we travelled yesterday. It's actually much colder here than on the other side of the Continental Divide. -10 right now. I got up early but decided to snuggle back up for awhile. Now it's time to get some type of work/household schedule going. I swept the porches and Kirk just headed out to do the sidewalks. Bing has been out but I'm dreading when poor Rudi needs to go. I'm just going to monitor him for the time being and wait until it can't be avoided.

Annie, congrats! to your DD and SIL! What a beautiful picture!

Take care everyone...I might BBL

tanner'smom
02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Good Morning!!!

It was nice to sleep in this morning. They are saying the windshield makes it feel like -32. I am so glad school was cancelled and I don't have to get out.

I am excited to get some things done today, lovely things like taxes and cleaning. I also checked out some cookbooks from the library and want to take my time looking thru them.

Have a great day!!

weezle
02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
REAL QUICK pop-in! Sooooo we're getting a blizzard.... anytime now..... not the tasty Dairy Queen blizzard either. A regular ol' blizzard. And I'm at work. I know all of you sisters in the northeast must be sarcastically going "ohhhhh poor BAAAABBBYYYY" but I've never seen more than 12 inches of snow in my life. The thought of 15-20 inches does make me a bit claustrophobic. At least I know I can work from home (our office has a generator and the manager will sleep here if it means we'll be open) so I won't have to use up all my PTO.... unless we lose power. The majority of the ice went south of here though, so I'm optimistic about keeping power! :D

So a new month! I lost 4.2 lbs last month, and with better discipline, I'm shooting for 5 this month. I have successfully avoided the box of donuts that my boss brought in for those of us that actually showed up to work today. So far, so good.

OH! And my brother and his wife are having a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's official, they had the sonogram yesterday, so I can be like YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY now! They're only 2 months along, but I firmly believe it will be a girl. :D Ryan will be SUCH a good dad, and Kara is amazing with children so she'll be a great mom too! I'm SO EXCITED!

Ok anyhoo gotta run. Hope everyone has a fabulous day! Stay warm.

Lisa

zeffryn
02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Hey, quick question, anybody know where the February Goal thread is?

uscarchie
02-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Just a quick check in- went to Yoga last night and it felt sooo good! Does anyone know how many calories yoga burns? Loseit.com says 230 calories for 1.5 hours, but I feel like I'm working my tail off! Thoughts?

Mum2Monkeys
02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi y'all! I'm just popping in for a second before my eldest gets home from school and we're buried with homework ;)

I took all my vitamins this morning and WOW I can already tell a difference in how I feel! I need to drink some more water (only had 20 oz and it's already almost 3pm.. YIKES!) but other than that I'm doing great today. Trying to figure out what we should have for dinner. I'm thinking bun-less burgers and maybe some sort of cauliflower.. Either that or green beans and almonds (one of my favorite P1 side dishes)..

Hope everyone has a great day!

Natasha1534
02-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Ruth - Ouch!!! I promise not to rub the beautiful weekend weather in your face. If it makes you feel better, it's rather yucky looking outside today. I pulled up the radar earlier and all I saw was black. I think it was just a glitch...or at least I hope it was, LOL

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs894.ash1/180253_10150129696215306_700635305_8387195_7644363 _n.jpg

Good luck finding you a stud to lug your wood for you. Ummm...that sounded a lot dirtier than I meant it to, didn't it??? Oopsy!!! I hope you come through the storm okay...maybe it'll even bypass you!!! ;)

tomandkara - Sounds like you've got a nice healthy boy there. ;)

TwynnB - Sorry you had a bad race experience. Just the luck of the draw, I guess. Here's to hoping your next one will be lots better!!! ;) Oooh, chili sounds good...I think I'll put the Wendy's knock-off recipe in the crockpot tomorrow and let it go all day. YUM!!! Oooh, hoppin' john sounds good. I've never had it, actually, but I've seen the recipes and it looks yummy!!!

annieoh - Congratulations on the new son-in-law!!! How exciting!!! And not having to pay for it...double bonus!!! ;) Good luck finding your 5K. Active.com has been a great source for me as far as finding mine.

litar - Poor babies...I hope your babies feel better soon.

weezle - Wouldn't it be nice if blizzards were all like the tasty Dairy Queen kind??? Mmmmmmm...oreo blizzard snow in my front yard...YUM!!! Good luck keeping your power!!! Congrats on the 4.2 pounds last month...good luck w/ attaining 5 this month!!! :) And *high five* on avoiding the box of donuts. I had to dodge a box that a co-worker's wife sent us last night as well. OMG, yay for being an aunt!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Being an aunt is super awesome...is this your first time???

zeffryn - Here ya go...http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/224151-south-beach-february-take-care-your-heart-exercise-challenge.html

uscarchie - I use CardioTrainer and it says at your weight, 90 minutes of "medium intensity" yoga burns 617 calories. Low intensity burns 385...high intensity burns 848 calories.

Mum2Monkeys - Ooh, have you tried the "mashed faux-tatoes" using cauliflower??? It's yummers and I don't even LIKE cauliflower!!! Green beans and almonds sounds yummy, too.

As for me, I'm just working. I'm off tomorrow and Thursday so I'll be taking my nephew out to dinner for his 18th birthday (*sob*) tomorrow and having Jersey Shore night w/ the girls on Thursday. I know, I know it's horrible and disgusting but I just love the frigging TRAIN WRECK that IS Jersey Shore, LOL Maybe some Tae-bo beforehand to make it all worthwhile. Sounds good. Just finished up TOM and I swear, I had nearly 10 pounds of frigging water retention. That's insane!!! But I made sure to drink a lot of water and it's really helped...7.5 of those pounds are gone now. WHEW!!! Anywho, back to work it is. Hope those of you stuck in the storms are making it through okay. Be careful out there!!!