South Beach Diet - SBD Daily Chat: January 31, 2011

View Full Version : SBD Daily Chat: January 31, 2011

LADY WINDSONG
01-31-2011, 04:50 AM
Good Things Come to Those Who Believe

LADY WINDSONG
01-31-2011, 04:59 AM
:welcome: Cathy

Yes, I missed all of you that haven't been here for a tiny bit.

Lou and I went to LaGree's for our dollar bin goodies. I came home and made fresh homemade sauce with tomatoes onions, carrots and celery (all from the bins). Yummy.

I actually got 9 little dollar bags filled with all kinds of fruit and veggies.

I am :) to report that I am DOWN -.8 pounds! I was amazed because I had some pizza. Moderation does work and the pizza (cheese w/ chicken) was really good because it was a treat and not a staple.

Did laundry, dishes and cleaned the inside of the oven this morning so all that is left to do is cook and tell you all that I am proud of each of you. :mouse:

tomandkara
01-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Oooo, Marcie, I do not enjoy cleaning the inside of the oven. Or the fridge. Yuck. I cleaned out the fridge on Friday and it was gross.

I also did not have a very on-plan weekend. Saturday totally got away from me. I thought I'd have enough time to do my work-out and get a good breakfast before leaving the house but the minutes ticked away and after I finished my exercise and shower I had five minutes to get the kids in the car and out the door for Connor's basketball game, so I had cherry tomatoes and a cheese stick for breakfast on the drive there. Then lunch was just a disaster. I tried to pick the best thing at the food court and got steamed veggies with rice and noodles, intending to give the rice and noodles to the kids but I was so hungry that I ate them. Dinner was good, though. I made a quiche and salad, so at least that got me back on track. Yesterday was more of the same lack-of-planning-poor-decisions, though. Today is a new day and I am ready to make good choices.

I think Avery may have gotten a wee case of pink eye so I am keeping her home from school today. Her eye isn't crusted or swollen at all but last night it was light pink. It is almost all back to white this morning but I figure it's better to be safe for the other kids at Kindergarten. I may just keep Kadyn home, too, so I can be lazy and not have to go out into the cold with the baby.

The girls are done their homeschool lessons and Kadyn is going to practice her violin now and then we're going to clean the third floor. I need to get cracking on my book club book because we're meeting next Monday and I'm only half way through it. And I also have to practice the choir anthem for next week because yesterday the director asked if I would accompany. Just another busy day!

litar
01-31-2011, 06:38 AM
Good morning everyone!!
Marcie- Good job on your loss!!! I wish I had the $1.00 bins you talk about around here....it seems that my grocery bill keeps going up!
Kara- Sounds like a busy day for you. I understand and fall victim to that lack of planning, too- but today is a new day!
I am down -.6. Wish it were more but I will take it!

LADY WINDSONG
01-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Kara, it will get better.
I have faith in you.

Litar :cheer:

Mmckellen
01-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Litar, you have great courage to weigh in on Mondays! Definitely would not work for me.

Today is likely to be busy at work and then I have to run out at lunch for both PT and my son's parent teacher conference. I inadvertently scheduled both for today, thank goodness not at the same time! Other than that, not much to say. Hope everyone has a great day!

Heidi58
01-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Good morning!

It was good to sleep in my own bed last night, but I sure missed that hot tub. :) Today is the start of another busy week. I have meetings or classes after school Monday - Thursday because rescheduling due to January's weather. I was hoping February's weather would be calmer but they're talking about another storm this week. What a winter!

I haven't weighed myself yet this morning. I'm apprehensive so I'm procrastinating. :lol:

Good morning to those who have already posted and hello to those yet to post. I hope Avery's eye is looking and feeling great now, and that Okie wows them at the interview today. And for the rest of you I wish a safe, happy and on plan Monday.

tomandkara
01-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Lisa, you're moving in the right direction!

Marcie, thank you for the kind words. I have faith in me, too. I need to assert it more on the weekends, apparently...

Matilda, I always schedule things on the same day, thinking it's easier to just be out and about once and get everything taken care of, but then it's always so hectic. Sigh. There's no winning.

Heidi, I hope your week goes quickly with your extra conferences and that your weigh-in is positive!

We got the cleaning done and I practiced my flute piece. The girls are upstairs playing so I'm going to take my book up there and read while they do whatever it is they do. They're both still in their pajamas!

annieoh
01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
Lady Windsong: We had our first pizza in over three months this weekend too. Two slices for me, and that should hold me over for another three or more months. Ha ha!
Kara: We homeschooled our girls from kindergarten to college and loved it. :)
Litar: Yeah, this whole "eating on plan" thing is pretty expensive for us too - well worth it, but ka-ching!
Mmckellen: At least both things will be out of the way after today, right?
Heidi: I miss hot tubs too, though its been a good bit longer since I got to soak in one that it has been for you. Hehe.

I'm still getting over my cold (read: I'm still sick and a total baby about it). Hope to get back to running this week (assuming the husband is also over his cold) as well as pushups and kettlebell swings. I've put it all on hold while my body heals itself.

cottagebythesea
01-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Here's to the last day of January! :coffee: What a month! February is starting off with snow and ice, too, but I have faith that this new month will be kinder to us. :crossed:

Congratulations to the 'losers' and I hope your interview goes well, Okie!
Jake has been working on making a hoop for me, and I have to get after him to finish it! Then, I actually have to start using it, LOL. It does sound like something I'd enjoy, though.
I'd better get on with day and pack a few extra changes of clothes. I'm planning to stay at the farm for a few days if the weather gets as bad as they predict. Snow is bad enough, but they're talking about ice, and that has me concerned. I will be so glad when this winter is finally over.

CyndiM
01-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Good morning :coffee2: Another fly by morning as I'm off to the north for an all day staff meeting. Looks like we have monster storm heading this way tomorrow. Oh joy

Have a good Monday

Ruthxxx
01-31-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm feeling badly for you chickies dealing with bad winter weather. We are very cold again at-20F but sunshine is expected. Stay safe and warm, please.

Feeling a tad burned out this morning so I am skipping gym. I may go back to bed for a wee kip as they say over the pond.

tomandkara
01-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Annie, we've been homeschooling all along as well but when we moved here we thought it would be an amazing opportunity for the kids to attend the local school in our village so they could learn the language better. It's been a great experience all around and I'm very glad we enrolled them. German schools let out between noon and 1:00, though, so we still do some lessons at home. Connor's more advanced in math so I keep him moving forward there, and I like to continue with English grammar and literature because they don't get that at school now. I am looking forward to being back to homeschooling full time after our move this spring!

Linda, I hope the new weather isn't as bad as it's predicted to be!

Cyndi, hope the staff meeting goes by in a flash!

Ruth, that is so cold! I don't know that I would leave bed at all!

catluviv
01-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Good sunny, light snow falling day to all of my friends.
Gee love reading daily notes. I have to run to town then try and work at getting started with this diet. LOL
I was wondering what the challange for the month is, and was thinking that a challange for using your tred mill would be one for me....poor thing just sits there.
Well all for now,
Love Cathy

WaistingTime
01-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Windsong - Good for you! For me, moderation doesn't work well. Maybe some day.

Kara - I don't mind cleaning the fridge; I love tossing the expired stuff I find. I just hate how fast it gets messy and dirty again. The oven... oh mine is horrible. I had a bad eating weekend too:(

Heidi - I am still trying to meditate, when I remember. I think it would be great for me if I could make it a habit. That storm is hitting here tomorrow.

We are in a winter weather warning here. Today they predict some freezing rain and a tiny bit of snow; for tomorrow they are using words like "blizzard" and "record-breaking." I did some shopping yesterday in preparation but think now I may go out again today if the roads are okay and stock up more. I have a hard time planning more than a couple of days ahead for meals. Another crazy winter!

Oh yeah - confession time. I did not eat well this weekend. Which is particularly frustrating because I had been pretty darn good for the rest of the month. Sigh.

Have a great day everyone.

tanner'smom
01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
I detect a theme of a rough on program weekend. I also had difficulty. I did pay for it with some acid reflux, which I have not had since I started SB. It was a nice reminder that I do feel better when I eat what I am supposed to.

It is back to work today. This week should be good, except the weather. It is supposed to get bitterly cold.

Have a great day!!!

Lexxiss
01-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

:wave: I slept in which is a good thing. Now it's time to get rolling. Yoga at the pool this morning...my favorite. It helps me to reorganize my priorities.

Joining in wishing Okie a good interview!

Take care everyone! Have a great day!

KO
01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Chicks
I had a pizza and cannoli encounter on Saturday Night oh and wine
But back OP yesterday and today making good choices!
I'm at work so can't respond to everyone!
LadyW Love your quotes in the AM
Kara sayign a prayer for Little A :)
Cottage You're precious cargo be safe
I'll hopefully bbl!

Lily In Bloom
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi guys! I've been lurking in the forum but haven't popped into the daily chat thread until now. I actually had a really great weekend, apart from the fact that my grocery bill was about $30 higher than I wanted it to be (it was $110, I was hoping for $80). This will be my 4th week on SB (I spun wildly off course in the middle, so I'm not counting that week), and I'm still having a hard time keeping to my budget. I try to buy only the protein that's on sale, but I'm having a trouble with produce- for example this week it was only fruits and asparagus that was on sale. I got a couple heads o broccoli (2.79 ea!) and some romaine (I think that was around 3 for 3).

If any one has any tips on how to spend less, I'd love to hear them. I think I'm still coming out in the positive in the long run, since I'm not eating out.

Mmckellen
01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Lily,
I try to shop what's on sale. For instance, this week peppers were on sale so that will be my lunch veggie. Same with meats - I go by what's on sale and plan meals around that. I get the flyer from my supermarket and go through it before I plan my menus for the week. I have to do menu planning in order to successfully do SB.

Pearlrose
01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Good morning,

The storm is headed our way as well, waiting for the ice to come today- I will be leaving work early to get set up at home. I have oncall this week so should be interesting to see how it pans out and if any of us lose power this week.

I am down -.2 but since TOM is starting this week I will take it.

Okie- Fingers crossed for the job.

Okay back to planning out details- I may hit up the grocery on the way home for some more fruits and veggies.

Ruthxxx
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
It's really, REALLY cold out there. I went down for the mail and was sure glad I didn't walk. My hands are still aching from the cold and I did wear warm gloves.

I sure hope all the Chicks affected by this predicted horrible storm can stay safe and warm. I wish I could bring you all here for bean soup, a quilt, a cuddly dog and a seat by the woodstove.

uscarchie
01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I bought groceries over the weekend, and yes, food is getting more expensive! Egads!

Also, I had a terribly off plan Saturday, but was back on track Sunday and no out of control cravings. But the scale was unhappy this morning so I'm going to ignore it until tomorrow.

My half marathon is next weekend. I'm a tortise- slow and steady, but I'm going to finish! Also, that day I'm not going to think about my plan. I'm going to be so hungry after I finish that I'll take what I can get. GIVE ME MY BANANA AND PRUNES!!!! HUNGRY monster rawr.

For some reason there's a beer garden at the end of the race. I can't imagine for the life of me wanting beer after a race. Especially light beer. Ugh.

Ah well, here's to an on plan week for us all.

Lexxiss
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
We just checked the weather and are going to bail and get over the mountains today...it looks like it might get worse here instead of better.

TallandThin
01-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Morning my friends :wave:

Marcie - :yay: on your weight loss. Feels good, doesn't it?

Kara, you are one busy busy lady.

Litar, hey, I'm with you and will take .6 loss any day of the week.

Okie, good luck with your interview. Hope it works out for you.

Ruth, OMG your wish sounds so great.

Hate to mention it but the weather here is almost perfect. Clear, sunny and about 60 this morning when I was out walking. Nice. But I know our winter isn't over yet. For all of you back east, stay safe and warm.

Not much of my agenda today except for some minor housework, a few errands and oh yes, working on the scarf that I'm crocheting for my GS for his birthday next week. Take care my friends and make yourself your top priority today.

Lily In Bloom
01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
@MMC- I've been trying to menu plan and shop the sales, but it just did not work for me this week. As I mentioned, mostly fruit were on sale here, so that was no bueno. I suppose I should start checking multiple stores, to see if somewhere else has a better sale for us. I'm thinking of joining a CSA, but those don't start until the spring >.<

Mmckellen
01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
I know; it's hard. I have a couple of go to meals that I can keep on hand in the freezer. But generally I have to shop at 3 different stores each week: Trader Joes, the supermarket, and a fruit and veg stand. I can save a great deal that way. Are you near a Trader Joes?

BellaLucia
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all your well wishes ladies! I admire and love you all! I rocked the interview! They asked my strengths and weaknesses, I told them and gave examples of those things at play. I should know by next Monday whether I got it or not! They asked about my experience, I told them I was a teaching assistant, a tutor, work study assistant and a substitute teacher. I explained how it relates to the job. There's opportunity for growth and advancement. I asked what they expected from the person they hired for the first 60 days. I also asked what was the one thing it'd take to be successful at the job and they said persistence. Before the interview, I met one of the students and he wished me luck! I'd love to get the job but it's in God's hands now. I sent in a thank you letter and I hope they get it because the storm's a coming!

Lexxiss
01-31-2011, 06:47 PM
We made it! Great, because the weather is getting bad. We had two large explosions at the top of Vail Pass, elevation 10,683?? Tires?? backfiring car?? Shooting avalanches??
Nope, the two bags of chips I had bought for Kirk at Costco blew up right next to Bing! Thank goodness they were in a cloth bag or they would have gone all over. Those are the bags that you just can never get open...I've heard of it, but have never had mine explode before. Kirk says its extremely Low Pressure and the altitude.

Okie, it sounds like your interview went great! I'm keeping my fingers :crossed: for you!

Heidi58
01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
@MMC- I've been trying to menu plan and shop the sales, but it just did not work for me this week. As I mentioned, mostly fruit were on sale here, so that was no bueno. I suppose I should start checking multiple stores, to see if somewhere else has a better sale for us. I'm thinking of joining a CSA, but those don't start until the spring >.<I rely pretty heavily on frozen veggies in the winter. We buy some fresh, but frozen green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts taste almost as good as fresh and they're much cheaper. Our grocery store brand veggies are very good, and WalMart carries a couple of Birds Eye mixes in huge bags for a good price, and I've always got one of those in the freezer. I use whatever greens are the best price for our salads, and many of the "bought because they were cheapest" have become favorites for us. :lol:

Also, I don't mind paying more for fresh veggies (like squashes and eggplant) when I'm using them in a meatless meal. We eat a lot more beans and a lot less meat now, but I had to ease my husband into that. ;)

We spend a lot less on food now though, even when I splurge on fresh veggies and good seafood. I used to spend quite a bit of cash on junk food like chips, oreos and soda. And we ate out much more often in my pre-SBD days.

I rocked the interview!
:broc: :carrot: Go Okie! I'm so glad! :carrot: :broc:

Karen, my friend cathydoe (from Iowa) has been preparing for that storm, too. It won't get to Maine til Wednesday and I'm hoping it will be running out of steam before it gets to my house!

TallandThin, I'm so glad you're enjoying great weather! I know you walk even when the weather is less than ideal, but it's great that you're having nice weather for walking.
Uh, Have you got a guest room? Or maybe a couple of guest rooms? :rofl:

Heidi58
01-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow Debbie! I've never heard of exploding chips! That's kind of cool, of course I didn't loose my chips or have to clean up the mess. :lol: How did poor Bing handle it?

I'm glad you arrived safe and sound. :hug:

BellaLucia
01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks Debbie!

tanner'smom
01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
We have already got the call there is no school tomorrow. I think this is the earliest I have every gotten a call. The roads were awful this morning, so everyone was guessing they would call it. Especially, since it is only going to get worse.

Debbie-glad you made it safely.

Lexxiss
01-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Lol, Heidi! I've heard of it, but never had it happen. It was a loud bang...you can imagine. Bing seemed to take it in stride. Fortunately, they were in another bag or he would have immediately started eating and we would have had to stop in the blizzard!

Lily In Bloom
02-01-2011, 12:06 AM
@Heidi- have you every tried doing roasted broccoli with frozen broccoli? Does it come out as good? I have discovered a new and intense love for roasted broccoli with just a little bit of montreal steak seasoning and olive oil. Which is why I've been paying ridiculous prices so I can keep eating it...