100 lb. Club - Ayone try any of the under 550 calorie meals at Applebees?

Ky30
01-30-2011, 03:31 PM
IF so are they good and filling? My Birthday is in 12 days and the hubby told me to think about where I wanna go for dinner he knows this will take some time because I have to check around and see what places around here have and what healthy options there are. I'm thinking applebees might be good the Chicken breast with the dijion mustard and mushrooms looks yummy.

Elvish Mistress
01-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Yep, my favorite is the shrimp with Hawaiian rice. They are filling to me. But be careful. Sometimes the cooks are a little careless with the portion sizes so just make sure it looks reasonable. Happy early Birthday!

Trixie14
01-30-2011, 04:54 PM
I tried the steak one, it was a year ago so I don't remember the name but it was disgusting. Our entire meal was awful though and we ended up not paying so it was probably just the restaurant we went too.

PaulaM
01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
I had the shrimp with rice too, it was good! on the negative side now that they list the calorie contents I found out the Asian chicken salad I'd been eating and feeling so virtuous about all this time was a huge calorie bomb.

LLBoldAsLove87
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Which chain is it that has "dragonfire chicken"? I think it might be TGI Fridays, but that one is awesome as well!

girlonfire
01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I've had the chicken one (I think it's like Dijon?) and the steak one. I liked both of them. My friend had the pasta one and thought it was really good too.

caryesings
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I just had the chicken dijon one this week and really liked it. I didn't want the seasonal veggies, so the plate with only the chicken portion and potatoes looked very empty for a restaurant portion, but I was satisfied based on portion sizes I eat at home.

duckyyellowfeet
01-30-2011, 07:31 PM
I had the Teryaki (sp?!) Shrimp pasta, which was really yummy. I also had the Salsa chicken, which was good but really spicy.

They have have a line of "Skinnybee" drinks, which are 100 calorie versions of a moijito, Long Island Iced tea and a margarita.

fitkristi
01-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes! I like the Asiago Peppercorn. I usually scrape off the cheese though.

FitGirlyGirl
01-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I second the Asiago one, though I keep my cheese :) The dijon chicken is also good. Just remember that even though they are lower calorie they are still probably higher sodium that what you usually eat and the scale will probably be up for a couple days from water. As long as you're expecting it then it is easier to not freak out. Have an excellent birthday!

mmel3283
01-30-2011, 08:18 PM
They're awesome. I love the Asiago Steak. They have some new Weight Watchers meals...even if you aren't doing weight watchers they're great choices.

lottie63
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Which chain is it that has "dragonfire chicken"? I think it might be TGI Fridays, but that one is awesome as well!

It is Fridays and I used to get that when I ate meat, the sauce was really good.

CanadianCutie
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
They have two steak options on the under 550 menu now. I got the garlic herbed shrimp with steak. It was amazing. So much so that I'm going to suggest my Dad gets it next time we go.

Ky30
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys and thanks for the early b day wishes. I have decided to go to Applebees I am either gonna try the steak one which is 390 cals or the chicken one which is 450 cals I do NOT eat seafood so those are out.

BigBlueStar
01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
I tried the Garlic Herb Chicken and it. was. horrible.

I friggin' LOVE garlic and I am usually pretty happy with anything at a resturant. This however was the first time I ever sent anything back and requested a new dish. My point of complaint was that the the sauce was a yellowish jelly type thing with a weird (not garlic) taste. Could not be saved. Maybe I was there on the cooks last night, but I advise anyone to just pick something else. :)

eclipse
01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
I like all the ones I've tried - I've had the shrimp, the peppercorn steak, some sort of spicy chicken over salad. . .The only thing to remember is that they do pack a really big sodium punch, and I'm always up a couple of lbs from retained water the day after I eat there. Happy birthday!

sabrinalecompte
01-31-2011, 07:58 PM
you know I've found that it seems to be touch and go with Applebees. I've been many times and half of them I've enjoyed while the other half I've hated it. I'm not sure if it's the location or just the person working that night, but there have been so many times that it just wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. Then again.. when it's done right... it's REALLY right! :) I had the steak meal last time I went and it was cooked to perfection.

grneyedmustang
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
I really like the Dijon Chicken Portabello. I even have a knockoff recipe for it posted, it was that good. :)

ladyfyre
01-31-2011, 09:09 PM
I ate there a couple of weeks ago for lunch and checked out their nutritional information online. Just seach Applebees nutritional information in google.

But, watch out for sodium content. some of the foot is swimming in sodium. I ended up getting a salad with the dressing on the side and then taking half home for dinner. It worked for me

IslaAzure
01-31-2011, 10:40 PM
you don't have to order from that menu either, you can just asked for grilled chick and veggies or grilled chick on salad with no dressing....just a thought

pamatga
01-31-2011, 11:32 PM
We have an Applebee's three blocks from where we live which we frequent often. I have tried several of the 550 calories entrees. Again, other than the standard higher sodium when eating out, I go with their steak. It is a very lean piece of meat and they have different sizes 5, 7 and 9 ozs. I too tried the garlic shrimp steak. I didn't like the sauce on top though. I much prefer to get the 7 oz. house sirloin (price isn't any different) then get a baked potatoe, switch out the seasonal vegetables for all broccoli. I once figured that to be aroun 750-800 calories. However, if you know you are going out you can always eat less the other meals during that day.

somethingnew912
01-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Before I was dieting I would get the steak just because it's a pretty good steak for the price. If I'm having a splurge meal, I add the parmesan shrimp on top (it's decadent but delicious).

I've had the portabella chicken one and I think I thought it was just alright. The sauce didn't do anything special for me.