Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/152/145

Height: 5'8''

Default Problems with dieting

I started dieting last Sunday. I've dropped a significant amount in less than a week, sticking to a 900-1,500 calorie per day diet, and walking about eight miles a day--not for fun, but out of necessity to get where I need to go. It's very hard for me, even though I space out the meals, as I'm hypoglycemic. I'm convinced eating every two hours is what has got me where I am. Now I'm eating meals about four hours apart. I get very lightheaded, and have had some gastrointestinal issues. I don't really know what to do. Can someone please help me out?

Last edited by robinsong; 01-29-2011 at 09:27 AM.
robinsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Hey! I'm similar to you in my stats. I'm 5'8 but started at 180. I'm diabetic so I have a dieting obstacle as well.
My suggestion would be to make sure you're eating enough of the right foods for your condition. You may need to talk to your doctor. Most people who calorie count use online tools to determine what and how much they should eat. People like us need to talk to their doctors about this as we have special dietary needs.
As for the meal timing, you kinda have to go by what your doctor says and what works for you. I usually eat 6 small "meals" throughout the day. Breakfast-Snack-Lunch-Snack-Dinner-Snack..every 2-2.5 hours
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/see tracker/200

Height: 5'5"

I'm hypoglycemic as well and I agree with KellyMarie that you should stick to what your doctor has told you about eating more often. I usually eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Those snacks are usually between 100-150 calories but they definitely make me feel 100% better. For me, the key is balancing carbs and proteins/fiber. Since we are hypoglycemic, our body doesn't deal well with carbs, and those crashes are what causes us to feel like crap. The protein is like a bumper, it keeps you from getting those crashes.

Examples of my "snacks"
Fiber1 bar -140calories
babybell cheese and "cutie" orange -110 calories
half serving of edamame - 75 calories
I can give more if you'd like. I basically ate these 3 for the past week. Pairing the cheese with the fruit is yummy (and you could choose another small fruit)

Also, I wouldn't go below 1000 calories. Your body needs calories to function, especially if you are exercising. That could have a lot to do with the way you are feeling now.
somethingnew912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingnew912 View Post
Also, I wouldn't go below 1000 calories. Your body needs calories to function, especially if you are exercising. That could have a lot to do with the way you are feeling now.
I completely agree with this. According to nutritionists, generally you should take your weight and multiply it by 10 and that's how many calories you need in one day. So if you weigh 160 lbs, you need to be eating 1600 calories. And if you're a very active person and burning a lot of calories each day, then you should add more to your diet. Also, no adult should really be eating less than 1200 calories a day, regardless of weight. You should talk with your doctor or a nutritionist for some help with coming up with the best eating plan for your personal needs.
surrendertolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

Wow, that's a ton of walking. Good girl!!!

But...bad girl for not eating enough calories! Don't ever dip below 1000. I lost a ton of weight doing just that, and it got me into a mess because it torched my metabolism. Once I started eating slightly more (a very reasonable and still very low 1500 per day instead of 1000), I gained about 10 pounds in a month. It took me two years to fix my metabolism and get it back on track. Not worth it.

Don't dip below 1300, especially if you're exercising. I am also hypoglycemic and find that I have to eat every 2.5 hours. The hardest part is the control part. Eating every 2 hours or so is amazing for your metabolism. But it can be really psychologically hard to eat just a little, at least for me . I found that eating when I was out of the house was best, pack a snack and eat it when you can't hit the kitchen and get more helps tremendously.

My little sister is hypoglycemic and anemic, and she is a marathon runner and is a ditz about food. She used to pass out on running trails all the time because she'd forget to eat. Funny but scary.

You are absolutely killing it in the weight game and you are going to 100% succeed, especially with your commitment and drive. But don't shoot yourself in the food, put some good stuff into that wonderful body even if it feels counter productive. Gotta gas the truck so you don't burn out the tank!
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #6  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Everyone has given great advice. I'm a diabetic myself, so I have that challenge. I do the same thing suggested above. Eating every 2 - 3 hours. If I wait 4 hours, it's too long and I'm starving or woozy or both! Just make sure they are mini-meals, not full meals each time.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote