Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/184/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Did I really lost 11 lbs in 1 week?

I bought a new scale last week because I realized my old one that I never used was broken. I weighed myself last week and came in at 250 lbs. Today, one week later I'm 239 lbs. I've been weighing myself every day and have seen a steady decline each day.

I started counting calories and joined a gym in the past week... so weight loss makes sense. I'm just surprised to see such a high number. Do you think that's really accurate? I did try on a pair of jeans that didn't fit last week that do today, so I know I lost some weight.

Have you guys lost a lost of weight in your first week of diet/exercise? I know 1-2 lbs a week is healthy, but I also know that the first few weeks produce the biggest weight loss.

Thanks!
Runic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/202/140(ish)

I'd say it's entirely possible, especially in the beginning but there could be a discrepancy between your old and new scales. I lost 6 pounds last week. I don't expect to keep up that pace but it sure was nice to see. Congrats on getting in to those jeans. I say take the loss and enjoy it!!
GettinMyGrooveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/184/135

Thanks! I'm excited... I just didn't know if I shouldn't be THAT excited. Lol

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm basing my weight off of the same scale. (I bought it last week, weighed myself and then weighed myself again a week later) I'm pretty sure my starting weight was accurate because I had a doctor's visit not too long ago and my weight was around the same then.
Runic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Yes, of course you can lose weight the first week!

Congratulations on your weight loss and into fitting into an old pair of pants. You're doing great!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/Ticker/147

Height: 5'-2"

Theres a good chance that you did, congrats thats awesome progress, dont get discouraged if it doesnt continue like that though.

I also notice if I weigh myself in the morning and then at night its 1-3 lbs different. So if you are weighing every day or even once a week try and make it the same time of day and wearing the same clothing or nothing at all. That will give you the most consistent numbers.
skigirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

First off congratulations! Yes it's possible I lost 11.5 in a week when I restarted and 3 lbs the next.
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #7  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

The first time you stepped on the scale, it may have been a little kooky- especially if it's a digital one. My digital scale does funny things when I change it's location (it needs to be on a flat, perfectly even surface) or accidentally push it with my foot.
On the other end though, it is definitely possible to lost 10ish pounds. If I'm on my period, I'll drop 5-6 lbs within 24 hours depending on water retention, hormones etc. Couple that with some fat burning and fewer calories, hello massive weight loss
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Yes it is possible and I doubt your scale is broken you most likely DID lost 11lbs in one week. Having said that it is important to understand that you did not lose 11 lbs of FAT in a single week.

Without knowing the details of your diet it is impossible to even speculate how much fat you lost vs water but understand when the scale goes down it is tracking weight not fat and when you first start dieting a big part of the weight you lose is water.

Keep reading and educate yourself. Knowledge is power and since weight loss is such an emotional issue arming yourself with data and logic will go a long ways to avoid any kind of emotional swings that can accompany you on the journey.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote