Old 01-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Getting Frustrated Planning Meals

So I made plans to go on a blind date (I'm doing Match.com). And we're supposed to meet at either Longhorn Steakhouse or some sushi place. Waiting to hear which (I feel like the guy should plan the date-I'm old fashioned I know). So I was on the Longhorn site looking at their menu and nutrition info and I just got really frustrated. I can't tell if their calorie count includes the sauces they show in the pictures or what.

Additionally, all of their healthier choices are crazy expensive! Like $17 for salmon! I dont know if he expects to pay (this would be awesome but unlikely) but even if he does, I would never order a $17 item. I'm far too cheap for that. And the chicken dishes aren't much cheaper ($14). I'm getting really annoyed.

I don't even know how to try and plan for sushi...it's just a local place. No nutrition info posted...ugh. I feel like sushi should be lower in calories but I'm probably mistaken.

Should I push for Longhorn bc I know how many calories I'll be eating? Or would sushi be smarter? How do you guys plan for eating out? I currently plan to eat nothing all day and save my calories for the diner....
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

its a date... I think he's serious if he is on match.com and therefore he will more than likely be paying... $17 isn't bad for dinner and sushi would probably cost more. I find sushi more healthy if you stay away from fried foods and mayo sauces.

I think you're just freaking out... breathe
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I agree with Haley. Especially the breathing part.

It's a date. Just think about having fun! Drawing attention to being low calorie isn't something that should be at the forefront of your mind.

I would naturally lean towards sushi but that's because i get sashimi (doesn't have the rice) so it's naturally calorie-efficient.

And a general rule of thumb that I use when going to a restaurant like a steakhouse is to order wthe sauce or dressing on the side so that I can control what I eat, only go with seasonal veggies or salad as a side, and if the portion size is questionable, I'll divide it up before I start eating and leave whatever I consider to be excess.

I don't know about you, but I personally always had a hard time eating on first dates because of being nervous. I lost 10 lbs when I first started dating my now husband.

Have lots of fun! Let us know how it goes too if you don't mind.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #4  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

It's a first date, he will most likely pay. I recommend eating before if you don't want to order anything on that menu. Eat something light before and maybe get a grilled chicken salad, light dressing while there?

Let us know how it goes!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Ooh, a date! I hope you have fun!

I wouldn't worry about calories for that one night. You should concentrate on enjoying yourself.

I agree with ordering all sauces or dressings on the side and having a salad or vegetable as a side instead of something starchy. Other than that, just have fun!

You can always make up for a higher calorie meal the next day.
surrendertolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #6  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't worry about it for one meal. Have what you want, but don't go hog wild. You are in this forever, right? You have to be realistic. Have fun!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #7  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnough View Post
I wouldn't worry about it for one meal. Have what you want, but don't go hog wild. You are in this forever, right? You have to be realistic. Have fun!
I agree, I don't count calories and I seems to do just fine on my weight loss. It's one date, which means it's one night enjoy it and don't stress so much over it. You should be more nervous about the date than the food...
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #8  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Deep breath! You shouldn't stress too much and just try to have fun on your date. $14-$17 for chicken/salmon at a restaurant really isn't that bad either, especially if he's paying and he picked the place. That seems to be about the price range for similar dishes at other restaurants, so don't sweat it. If he's picking the place, he most likely knows the prices and won't be too shocked about a $14 chicken dinner.

But seriously, have fun! It'll be less fun if you're stressing about things.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

Sooo I went on the date. It ended up being a cheat night. I wrote about it in my blog if you really wanna know how it went. It was...interesting to say the least.
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Commented on your blog.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #11  
sugar is the devil

I just read your blog... I've had quite the same experiences with you on online dating. A lot like the date you just recently posted.... Ill pay for coffee/supper and you can come back to my place!!! Uh. no.

Also had another experience close to the one with the coffee/lisp. I also got there shortly after he did; he was sitting outside on the patio already drinking coffee. At first I didn't think it was him because who does that? Realize it's him, then get turned off just for that fact that he couldn't wait for his date to get there first (and pay). So I went back inside and ordered/payed for my coffee. 1)he did not look like anything like his pictures (he angled them) 2) he was very short when he put he was 5'11" in his profile, a lie 3) he failed to tell me about his hand deformity (don't get me wrong, I can get past things like that but to hide it and "surprise" me with it, ugh).

Haha, oh the disaster dates! But it'll get better, gotta get through the crummies to get to the good stuff. Currently dating my boyfriend whom I met online. Good job on exercising before the date tho! Makes up for the appie he bought you

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 01-27-2011 at 11:49 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Ok, so this is the 20 something thread. My kids are older than that. LOL.

Anyway, is there any way, you can create a you pack type picnic lunch and meet him somewhere in a public place, like library, college lobby, a friends apt, or simply meet for coffee on Sat or Sun?

I do not envy you. Being married to the same guy for 33 years, I can't even imagine going on a "date" Scares the **** out of me.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #13  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm sorry you had a crappy time!
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Next time be up front. "Let's do halfsies." When I dated, I always went halfsies initially. My mom drilled that into us... "No need for the date to 'expect things' just because they paid! You always pay half!" Later on you can take turns being the one to treat.

Sushi nutrition is here. Estimates anyway.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-28-2011 at 01:27 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #15  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Seriously that sucks about your date, but at least it was short! I had the same situation with this guy once who would not shut up and talked for 4 hours! Dinner lasted 4 hours and it wasn't even that it took us that long to eat it was he would not shut up! Then he had the nerve to bug me because I didn't finish all my dinner or want a dessert and I was like one I'm full (I really was) and 2 resturant food gives me a stomachache all the time! So I feel your pain on this date for sure!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote