Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Default My scale is moving the wrong way!

So, Jan 23 I had a lost off 2 pounds then Jan 24 it was 1.4. (unusual for me because I usually lose just ounces) Awesome, right? But, then Jan 25, I gained 0.8 and Jan 26 there was another 0.8. This morning, I am still at 209! What is going on? It's not my time of month. I don't think my diet has changed. I've been drinking water.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #2  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I don't have an answer for you, but you aren't alone. My world is the same way right now. Even worse than it not being TOM, TOM is just ending and so I should be having a woosh - instead my scale goes up. Grrrrr
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

First, don't panic. It's a very rare loser that doesn't see an occasional bump up for a day or three.

Second, what are you eating? Often, cleaning up your diet will release a lot of water weight but not do much to burn fat. Many people get very discouraged when they drop 10 to 15 pounds at the get-go and then the scale stalls.

The days you lost, were you more active than usual? Your muscle's and liver's energy stores can weigh as much as 5 pounds. Burn those off, you'll see a big drop, but when they replenish you can start to go up again.

If none of the above apply, consider that maybe your body is readjusting. If you give it the exact same foods and do the exact same activities, day in and day out, you're facing a potential early stall. I'm a truly accident prone person, so I can usually tell if this is the case by keeping an eye on my little injuries. If I'm stalling, and my cuts/bruises are taking longer than they should to heal up, I'm doing something wrong and it's not a plain ol' plateau.

Just examine, examine, examine. It's all a [really painful] learning process!

Last edited by Altari; 01-27-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: accidentally a word
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #4  

Well, I have up'd the workouts from 30 mins to an hour. I do a different workout everyday though. I usually try to keep the food pretty varied too. Maybe I'm taking in too much salt? Hm, I quit drinking pop and have been taking in more veggies and fruits...come on body! lol I'm not too discouraged because I'm still doing something for my body, but I just want to continue losing some weight too.

I figure if I could lose 10 pounds every 3 weeks then Id be at my goal in June..just in time for swimsuit season. I want to be out of the 200s at least by March.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Calm down my weight fluctuates a lot too. It hasn't even been a week since you've seen a drop so I wouldn't worry. You mentioned that you upped your work out from 30 minutes to an hour which can definitely cause some temporary weight gain as your muscles adjust so as long as your eating right you should see that weight drop again most likely after you take a rest day. Everything will be a okay.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #6  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

it might be that you uped you workout time. muscles will retain water...give it a few days and see what happens
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
Calm down my weight fluctuates a lot too. It hasn't even been a week since you've seen a drop so I wouldn't worry. You mentioned that you upped your work out from 30 minutes to an hour which can definitely cause some temporary weight gain as your muscles adjust so as long as your eating right you should see that weight drop again most likely after you take a rest day. Everything will be a okay.
I'm calm, I'm calm. hehe. I do rest on weekends and usually I do see a good loss after that so I think you are totally right. I guess those last two good losses were on Sunday and Monday so it was around my rest period.

Thank everybody!