Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

Default Went to 2nd meeting, still a little iffy

I went to my second meeting. I went to a different location and to a different time. It ended up being the same leader. Who didn't really impress me. She was kinda boring. Also, in both meetings I have been the youngest by about 20-30 years. The questions people asked were all stuff that should have been known if they would have read the booklets.

Anyway, I'm just a little disappointed. Seemed like it was just alot of little old ladies. Who were a little cluesless despite having 'been a member for months'.
Maybe I'm being picky, but I really didn't get much out of it. No one close to my age bracket. I asked one question about the website or if there were any other websites that were worth checking out. And three different people told me they didnt know how to work a computer.

I'm just really disappointed and discouraged. Sorry for the vent.
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #2  
In the desert...

That sucks. I used to go to meetings and the leader was fantastic. I stopped going because the women in the meetings (99% of the members were women) whined like crazy about how bad food is and how awful it is to exercise... I tried a couple of different meetings and didn't click with either (one of them had the group singing to congratulate members who lost weight - absolutely not my thing!).

However - I do like WW and the plan is really great for me, so I'm doing it online. I spend all day in front of a laptop and most of my non-work time with a computer nearby so it works really well for me. If you don't like the meetings, don't be put off the WW plan as a whole - maybe you would do well online?

Edited to say - on the WW site, when you select a meeting, it should give you the option to view the meeting schedules by leader. That way you can avoid that same leader if you wanted to try another leader...

Last edited by julesp313; 01-26-2011 at 10:45 PM.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

It can be hard to find a good meeting that works for you. I'm not thrilled with my current meeting. My leader is very kindergarten teacher-ish. I'm all for super cheerful and celebrating all the small dumb things, but I like to bring my enthusiasm to an adult level. I too have the clueless older women. A lot of them aren't THAT old but they act like it. And everyone's just a little... country. I totally miss my Atlanta meetings.

I like the leader at the Thursday meetings better, but it just doesn't really work with my schedule.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 01-26-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes you have to shop around for a leader you like. I quit ww once before because I couldn't click with anyone and I felt like I didn't have anything in common with the women at my meeting (and it was full of screaming kids, no offense to any mothers here).
Now I have an awesome leader. I go in the evening, so it is more adults after work, and there's a good mix of people. My leader is always cracking jokes. We do, too. It's just a fun, inspiring, feel-good meeting. But it took a lot of trial and error to get there. Maybe you could ask at the front if there's a meeting with more people in your age group? Or maybe try a different leader altogether?
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

That is a bummer if you were hoping to use the meetings for support and ideas. I personally realize they are almost completely useless to me because I have read every diet, health, fitness book or magazine. I personally don't get much out of the meetings, but what I do get a lot out of is the accountability of having to go weigh in every week. I also really liked the positive feedback I get after i've lost weight. They give a lot of encouragement and I also like the whole 'reward' program, the stickers, the key-chain stuff, etc. For me, its not about the meetings or the information they give me, but the other aspects

Hope you find one that works for you!
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I recently switched from meetings to online. I love my leader, but don't need to weigh in there since I track my weight from home.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Fortunately I LOVE my leader but am having the same issue with the members in my Wednesday morning meeting. A few complain about how they dislike exercising and the plan in general, I sit there thinking - "If you dislike the plan so much, why are you here?" What really gets me are the people who complain about NOT losing but refuse to exercise. Tracking and adding daily activity work hand in hand, you need both in order to be successful =D

I was seriously thinking about switching to online because it would fit my schedule much better than having to go to weekly meetings to hear people complain!
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

Oh man - that was my experience too. Seems like the meetings revolved around this group of 6 or so people who have been members for years and they brought up the same topics every week (e.g., "I really hate to exercise!" and "how exactly do you measure your carrot servings? I want to make sure that I am not eating too many for zero points," "I didn't eat all my points and I still didn't lose! why?" etc..) Oh, it was horrible. The only thing that helped me about the meetings was the accountability of weighing in. Couldn't justify spending $40 a month, so I am trying to do this on my own this time.

Last edited by straightahead; 01-30-2011 at 04:54 PM.
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #9  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

For me I found a group that was a "Mommy & Me" meeting. It's nice since I might need to bring my youngest with me. But it's a younger set of people (there were men there last week!). But there are some older women too.

I've been very happy with the leader and find her to be motivating. Maybe check and see if there is a Mommy & Me in your area, where you'll find younger members.

Also you could ask your current leader if there were meetings that have younger people. Granted I go to an actual WW "store" front, so there are lots of options.
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

I agree with what the others said - keep shopping for a leader that you click with. I'm a lot younger than most of the people in my meeting. I'd say 75% are retired! I doubt the evening meetings are like that. My meetings are 9AM, right when most people my age and younger are at work or in school.

Kimberly, does your leader ask people to say something they're proud of for a star? You should speak up about how you exercise whether you like it or not, because it takes it to be successful, and that you're making the most of this! Sometimes a big Yeeeha can get people on the bandwagon!

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 01-31-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote