General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #1  
Want 2 B a Oneder Woman!

S/C/G: 280/ticker/199

Height: 5'7

Default feeling frustrated and defeated

-just a rant-

why is the people who SHOULD support you the most fail you the worst?! my mother says she is trying to help me and then brings home brownies. "i was just trying to do something nice!" and she fake pouts. so not only has she brought a trigger into the house but now she is making me feel guilty for not eating it?! i asked her from now on if she must have that stuff don't bring it into my kitchen. and if i should decide to have something that isn't that healthy for me, don't eat it all in an attempt to "help" me. it sends me the message that i can't have it. she says its not on my diet. i said im not on a diet, im making a life change. diets mean you are restricting your self, im making better choices. if i start to limit myself then i will fall back into my old ways of hiding and binging. today i made some low cal muffins, triple berry. she watched me as i sprinkled the tops with some oatmeal. "ooo are you going to glaze them or put powdered sugar on them too?!" um, no, i hadn't planned on it. "just a little! come on!" WHAT?! seriously!? it's not her fault i'm fat as an adult, that is my doing but i learned a lot of things from her. i'm desperately trying to undo them. i know i should have kept this a secret but it's hard to do that. for once in my life i am excited about my future and getting healthy. even my daughter has jumped on board, asks for fruit and sugar free popsicles for dessert. her suggestions when we go out? a baked potato from wendys or subway. she's 12 and she gets it. my mother on the other hand, not so much. i have to just ignore the "advice" and keep my focus. i do have support in other ways. it's just frustrating that at home, where i should feel safe and be able to be ME, i can't.

PHEW! feels good to get it out!

dolcevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #2  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

AHHHHHHHHH! That's obnoxious! I feel for you, girl!!

Sometimes, and I'm sure you know this, Moms try to love with food. Heck, I still love my boyfriend with food. It's a weird societal thing.

Maybe try to steer the love in a different direction, like loving with new nail polish, broccoli, flowers, something that is not a sugary monster.

Ask her to only buy groceries for herself??

Good luck!!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Make her aware EVERY TIME that she attempts to derail you, that you are aware of what she's doing. Say to her, "I can see what you're trying to do to me, but my mind is made up - I'm making my health a priority." And just keep repeating that/something similar EVERY TIME so she is aware of her actions, too ... she knows what she's doing but she's not going to catch you off guard. And statements like, "oooh, just a little" are flat-out unacceptable. She can take her muffin and sprinkle sugar on it, but to urge you to do that is absurd. When she hears the same line over and over and over (and over!), she'll get tired of it and hopefully stop the behaviors. if not, then at least you're strengthening yourself and your resolve.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #4  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

That's very frusterating for sure! I feel for you!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #5  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

I don't know your whole situation, but is your mom over weight? Could it be she is jealous of your success?

Just a thought, maybe sit down and talk with her and offer to help her change her habits also.

You are doing great!!! Keep it up
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #6  
Want 2 B a Oneder Woman!

Yes, she is overweight as well. And doesn't make the best food choices herself. I just wish that instead of passing her judgment on me, she'd leave me alone. I don't say anything to her when she makes PB and MAYO sandwiches. BLECCH! But she insists on making comments about my choices and always follows them up with "I didn't want to say anything because you are an adult". Well then just don't.

THANKS for your encouraging words! Having you all makes a world of difference.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #7  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

OH she's ONE of those people. My aunt when I had weight on me turned to me (she was a lot bigger then me) oh wow you're such a fatty now...In my head I was like really? did someone who is bigger then me just say that to me?! People need to know their role and shut their mouths that's for sure. They think they are helping a situation by putting their negative crap on us to make themselves feel better for the poor choices they make in life.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Ah yes, those who should be the most supportive - are not. My mother in law has never had a serious weight problem in her life. Most of her life she was super skinny. So changing a lifestyle of eating is the most foreign concept in the world.

I was just told a couple weeks ago that I have high blood sugars and the doctor is giving me 3 months to try and get them under control. That means no simple sugars. For her that means, 'Oh, just a little". So just a little bread is OK, just a little wine is OK (which it is, but I don't want to waste calories on wine, but on food instead), try this sweet roll - it's just a little. She's a doctor... she knows that my blood pressure and my blood sugars are a problem, so why tempt me? Because she can't fathom doing what I'm doing - giving up sweets. I wasn't born with lucky genes like she. I just can't do it and she can't accept it....

It's tough - especially when you live with the unsupportive person (we do).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita View Post
PB and MAYO sandwiches.
I don't even know what to say to that. I... what? My mind is blown.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #10  
Want 2 B a Oneder Woman!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
I don't even know what to say to that. I... what? My mind is blown.
pretty gross right?!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
pretty gross right?!
That kind of made me throw up a little.

I don't mind light mayo on a sandwich or burger... I don't mind peanut butter. But together that is nausea central.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #12  
Vegan for the animals.

Every relationship is different. You don't even want me to get started on my mother. But you are an adult. Stand strong. It's now your life, your family. TRY not to let it get to you. Refuse the food. You may need to get over your fear of being "rude." Really it's liberating if you can say "no. take that away"

I do feel your pain.
VegDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #13  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Yes, she is overweight as well. And doesn't make the best food choices herself. I just wish that instead of passing her judgment on me, she'd leave me alone. I don't say anything to her when she makes PB and MAYO sandwiches. BLECCH! But she insists on making comments about my choices and always follows them up with "I didn't want to say anything because you are an adult". Well then just don't.

THANKS for your encouraging words! Having you all makes a world of difference.
We may have the same Mom.

I now do what I need to do, and blow off her comments and change the subject. If she insists on dwelling on it, I call her on it.

It's called a back bone, or "balls" if you will. Took me a long time to get to this point. Hang in there
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote