Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Quitting Smoking = Epic Calorie Count Fail

Well I attempted to keep myself from smoking yesterday afternoon and evening and the results were terrible. Sure I didn't smoke from 4pm until 7:30am this morning but I ended up stuffing my face. I did good all day up until I cut off the smoke but then my cravings became uncontrollable. I ended up eating dinner (a chicken breast and 1 cup of brocolli) and then found myself back in the fridge for a fruit popsicle, a 1/2 cup of chilli, a cheesestick, and 1 cup of frosted shredded wheat with whole milk before I could get to sleep. It was terrible and I now think I am not going to stop smoking at all until I reach goal. I know smoking is unhealthy but so is being Obese and I'm picking my posion. I'm just wondering am I weird or is this a normal reaction to a lack of cigarettes?

Last edited by niafabo; 01-26-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: thread title is messed up
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

When I quit, I used two tricks.
Gum
Lollipops...

It will be hard! I have been smoke free since Oct 2008
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

I totally get it! I quit smoking at the same exact time I began my weight loss journey (January 1st). Now, I don't what it was, but I think mentally I was ready for both - very ready. So, I was able to put down the smokes and still lose weight. Focusing so very much attention to calorie counting and what I was putting into my mouth in the beginning really helped I think. But, I am still fighting urges to this day, and I still go on small eating binges every now and then (nothing bad for me, but waaaaay too much of good for me stuff), and I know a smoke probably would have stopped them. But, I don't care. I made a conscious decision to better myself - not smoking AND lose weight. It was/is very hard, but I am so ridiculously proud of myself for doing it.

So, if you want to put the smokes down, put them down. But, you have to be absolutely certain you are ready, or you won't try hard enough to make it. The first few days are a constant internal struggle.

And, what you ate last night may have been too much, but it wasn't cupcakes or french fries - so take it as a victory! I would!

I would also recommend NOT putting them down for the first time at night - that's my hardest part of the day not to pig out, even when I was smoking! I'd start it in the morning, when you have a day full of things to do to try to keep your mind off of them.

And, lastly, (and I might get cyber-punched for saying this) I smoked like 3-4 packs the afternoon/night before I put them down for good. Kind of a farewell smoke-out. The next day, I felt so nasty from smoking so many (I usually only smoked around 1 to 1 1/2 packs a day) that I honestly didn't want one when I woke up. It was all mental I'm sure, but whatever works! :-)

And, if you decide to do it, good luck! You can do it!

:-)
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7

I am on week two. It stinks but i am still going. I use gum, and moving everytime I start to get hungry. If it is late i clean something or crochet or knit. I still eat a lot more than I did. But I figure that will lessen too as it goes on. Good luck!
CosmicGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

From all the literature, quitting smoking is the Number One thing to do for good health. Number One!!
Your night-time indulgences didn't sound too bad. I would count yourself victorious, too. Maybe change to skim milk for a start.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

I totally understand. I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant with my first child so I ended up packing on a LOT of weight.

Anything to keep your mouth and hands busy works great. Or distract yourself with a movie, read a book, take up a hobby.

If you feel you much snack, just be sure to pick lowest calorie foods to satisfy you. If you normally smoke more at night, maybe save some calories for carrots and hummus, or a big bowl of popcorn.

Congratulations on quitting!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

I quit smoking several years ago and managed to do it without gaining weight.

First, I told myself that I could smoke on vacation. I had one planned a few weeks away and it helped me to know that I could smoke if I wanted to, but for a limited amount of time, did something for me mentally.

Second, I started walking. Every day you don't smoke, exercise gets easier. Noticeably easier. It's amazing.

Third, I taught myself to knit and ordered some patterns and pillow cases from www.sublimestitching.com. Because embroidery? Is super easy. It works up fast. It keeps your hands busy, but not so busy you can't also watch tv or talk.

Fourth, clean everything. Get the smell out of your house. Once you get the smell out of your house and clothes and car, you will start to smell it on others, and it's so embarrassing to know you used to smell like that. I think every smoker walks around thinking it's all the OTHER smokers that stink, it doesn't stick to them. Yes, it does. Smokers smell like stale smoke. When all your stuff and your home is clean and you haven't smoked in a while, you'll eventually come across a jacket or something that never made it to the cleaners...and you will be so glad you don't stink like that anymore.

Last, if you have a pack in the house, get rid of it. As long as you're keeping a pack in reserve "just in case" you're not really trying. You've already told yourself you're not serious and you're not really going to quit today.

The last two things that keep me from starting up again:

I had a baby. I NEVER wanted her to smell like smoke and if you smoke, your kids and even pets will smell like smoke, whether you know it or not.

My uncle had throat cancer. He had most of his lower jaw removed and most of his tongue. He lived for a year and 6 months with a treach tube and a feeding tube. Even if he had beat the cancer, he would've gone the rest of his life disfigured, unable to eat, speak or taste. He was willing to go through all that so he could live and see his kids grow up. It feels disrespectful for me to smoke after that.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #8  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

Smoking is my vice as well, and I'm very concerned that I'm going to pack on the pounds if I quit. Quite a few years ago I quit the cigs and then after a year I had a terrible house fire and lost everything. The stress put those cigarettes back in my mouth. God how I wish I could have just said NO. Now I'm trying to quit again, I have asthma, and it's difficult for me to berate (esp. since I live in Colorado and the air is thinner the way it is). I feel like I'd be able to get so much more out of my workouts if I didn't smoke.

However you go about it please keep us posted. I'm pulling for you!
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

If you were to ask your doc you would probably be told that quitting smoking is the more important of the two. I quit smoking shortly before I started working on my weight. Yes, it was hard and made me hungry, but after it was done it made the weight loss stuff so much easier. My taste buds work better now because of not smoking, so I don't need all the salt and sauces and junk that I used to put on my food. I can actually taste and enjoy the natural flavor of my foods.

It takes 3 days for the nicotine to get out of your system. If you can handle drinking cranberry juice that will help pull it from your system faster. Any acidic juice will help (orange, grapefruit), but cranberry works best. After those 3 days, it's all mental. The physical nicotine cravings will be gone. So give yourself those 3 days and be a bit lenient with yourself about your diet those days. After that, when you know it is all just mental, then you can take back your control. If you make sure your house is clear of anything TOO bad before you start that will help. At least you won't go on a cookies and ice cream bender.

Finding something to do to keep your hands busy as others have mentioned is important. I wrote out a list of reasons I wanted to quit smoking. I then copied it over and over and over. I filled a 5 subject notebook in a week. It not only kept my hands busy, it also kept me focused on my goal.

I also agree with quitting in the morning rather than at night. I also brushed my teeth a lot and started at a time when I had a couple days off and could sleep through a lot of it. You can do it if you want to do it.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
I wrote out a list of reasons I wanted to quit smoking. I then copied it over and over and over. I filled a 5 subject notebook in a week. It not only kept my hands busy, it also kept me focused on my goal.

LOVE this idea! :-)
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

It was my new year's resolution to quit smoking (again) and i can totally relate to how much it sucks to quit. I've strayed off the path, but I mostly blame that on drinking, and not my willpower. You've lost 50 pounds (congrats by the way!), so quitting smoking is like nothing y'know? You can do anything you set your mind to, obviously.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #12  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I admire you for trying to do both at the same time. I admit that I couldn't. It put me ten pounds in the hole once I did decide to start losing weight--but according to my doctor, the stress that my amount of smoking was putting on my heart and lungs was the equivalent of 80 pounds or so of extra weight. And that doesn't even take into account the carcinogenic nature of smoke.

If you could choose only one change, quitting smoking would be by far the more beneficial change.

You have the luxury of being able to choose both (though it may not feel much like a luxury). Frankly, I wasn't tough enough to do what you're doing; I had to do it one step at a time, so I admire you tremendously for jumping in two-footed. When you're going through such major changes, cut yourself some slack on eating an extra popsicle or few bites of cereal if you decide to quit smoking while you're losing weight.

I second everyone's advice to do something with your hands. Put yourself in situations where you aren't used to smoking/eating or can't smoke/eat--take long baths, brush your teeth often, give yourself thorough manicures, knit or crochet, jog, swim. Those activities keep your hands busy, but they also help break psychological cravings because they're not trigger activities--they're stuff you always did without smoking or eating, so you get some respite from wanting a smoke or a bite.

Speaking of cravings, they get less and less frequent, less and less intense as time goes on. The first few weeks are by far the toughest; last through that, and you are made of titanium and can last through anything.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote