General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

Default So messed up.

I was hired to manage this restaurant 3 months ago, and I've raised the sales 51%...they told me last week that if my sales aren't up another 15% by the 1st that they're shutting it down.

Our ice machine, receipt printer, card swiper, and drink cooler are all broken, they've taken no steps towards replacing or fixing them, and when I ask about it (for the last 2 months) they put me off, saying it's in the mail or something like that.

So I think that they've just been keeping us open long enough to write it off on their taxes. What bulls**t!!!

So now that we're no longer useful for tax purposes, we're out on our butts? Cold hearted.

Good news is, I've got a job interview tomorrow morning.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

Good luck tomorrow.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

That's wack. I've come to learn that it's every man for themselves and companies have no loyalties to their people- even if they claim.

I worked at a company for 5 years- when my area got shut down AND they had openings in other areas they actually told me they couldn't just give me another job (even if was just a lateral transfer). I was shocked at how they treated me. Funny thing was after I left they forgot to do my exit interview and sent me the papers- I tore them up and tossed them.

I SHOULD have written a big F U on the paper and sent it back! lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #4  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

Aw man. That sucks ArtyKay-

My brother had a similar experience. He was hired to oversee and manage the opening of a new toy store in Philadelphia International Airport. The whole project was a mess, they had him working insane hours. I can't tell you how many times he called me at like 3AM to pick him from work. (he didn't have a car at that point and Septa- our transit system- doesn't run 24/7).

Anyway, After the store was open for a month or two and it was doing incredibly well, they let him go. All they really wanted him to do was oversee the building and opening of the store and I guess they had someone else in mind after that.

He's a roofer now. But much happier (and dirtier...)

Beerab- I would have mailed back the ripped up papers!

I've been thinking about changing jobs lately. My company is great, and I like the people I work with. But I really am doing the job of two people- now if I was getting the salary of two people, I might be ok with that, but I'm not. But my mom is being laid off at the end of the month (after working there for 25 years- and they did it in such bad taste too) I feel the need to make more money than I do. I don't know if that is something I can resolve with my current job?

Either way, in this economy- it's kind of scary and feels selfish to willingly look for work when you already have a job.

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

That's such bull lightraven. I've seen that done so many times! "Let's get the person we KNOW can do the job to make everything right, and then when they are done we'll get rid of them and put someone we LIKE in their place."

Seriously that's terrible.

Geez to lay someone off after 25 years is bull- specially considering it should be last hired first fired to be fair.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #6  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Thats garbage but through my 25 years of life I realized that people only ever look out for themselves...it doesn't matter how long you've known someone or how hard you worked for them. If they need to they'll throw you out without a second thought about you. Sad really but thats how it goes... =(
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #7  
We'll go with that!

Well, if they did the last hire first to fire thing- then the guy would have had to fire his wife. And well.. you know that wasn't going to happen.

It's a three person law office that deals primarily with adoptions. My mom being the legal assistant. Her boss being the attorney, his wife, who only hoped on board about 10 years ago, is an "adoption counselor" - not that she had any qualifications for this title, she's just a talker and therefor, good with people.

Anyway, we've known these people for as long as we have lived in Philadelphia and have considered them family. We've been to birthday's, barmitzvahs (sp?), graduation parties, etc etc. And everyone always joked about how my mom and her boss must have been brother and sister in a past life. It was good times. But he made poor business decisions (Like giving birth mother's money when he shouldn't have) and has no reign on his wife's spending habits. (She likes to buy $600 pairs of shoes)

Her boss didn't even have the balls to tell her. He had is wife do it. And her attitude was "we were gonna do it before christmas, but didn't, so you should feel grateful"

It took everything single oz of willpower not to drive my butt up to their house and literally kill someone. It's one thing for someone to mess with me, but when you mess with my family- especially my mom, I get vicious!

They want her to collect unemployment but come in two days a week and work for half her usual pay- cash. So that might bring her up to what she usually makes. But still.

LR
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #8  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Good luck at your interview.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #9  
Soul Cyster

Screw that- get her unemployment- ask them for a letter of recommendation- and find a new job.

I am just disgusted with how people operate.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #10  
We'll go with that!

ArtyKay, what happened at the job interview?

LR