Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Default Completely TMI but...

I wanted input whether any of you ladies have had this problem because I'm at my wit's end.

Many women get hemorroids during labor and delivery which is totally understandable. I got them with both of mine during delivery but no other time including pregnancy. However, after my second child was born in September, I continued battling them. They just wouldn't stay away!

Then late November early December, one turned extremely painful. I swear, the pain was worse than childbirth. Totally embarrassed, I finally went to the doctor and found out it was thrombosed (clotted). They gave me medication for it and said if it didn't improve to come back Friday (two days later). Well, Friday rolled around and I was still waking up from the pain every night and couldn't sleep unless I was in a hot bath. So, I decided to go back.

This doctor was so RUDE to me. He pretty much said "What do you want me to do about it?" then later "You know, they always hurt" while I'm in tears from the pain and sleep deprivation. Needless to say, I just went home and dealt with it on my own and it showed some improvement. But now, it's horrid again so I'm going back on Thursday to see my doctor, not the walk-in clinic.

Do these things ever go away?!? What the heck can they do to help other than some crappy medication which doesn't really help the thrombosed vein? I'm dying from pain! (exaggeration but jeez! ) It's making it really difficult to enjoy the time I have with my kids or get anything done around the house.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Have you tried a sitz bath? Maybe some stool softener to ease pressure when you go?

I'm sorry the doctor was so mean to you
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5

my son is 8 and I still have mine. Doesn't hurt though. I thought they could do something about them though?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #4  

Beerab - I don't have a sitz but I'm constantly in the bath because I can lay down and take pressure off and keep it really hot. I don't even feel the need for a softener due to the fact it was never caused by constipation. I still go regularly and never feel like I'm straining.

Cherry - I'm sure they can do something about it but the jerk doctor wasn't exactly informative and I don't trust half of what's on the internet. It varies from just lancing to a surgery with a 4-6 week recovery time. Both options turn my stomach to think about. I don't know anyone who's had these so no one can offer an opinion or advice. I hate to just blindly trust doctors - they are only human after all.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  
Reforming Cheese Addict

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2''

My ex-husband had three of his lanced years ago.. and they never came back. It may be as simple as that for you, too! Good Luck. It's, literally, a pain in the ***
SheriWantsToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I had thrombosed hemmie's in both of my pregnancies, and they are horrible. I went to a general surgeon and got them lanced/excised or whatever they call it. No stitches required, and the pain relief was immediate. And, I still have hemmie's, always will once they develop, unless you have them removed surgically (not an option I'm open to) so I've had to learn to live with them. High fiber diet, try not to sit on the potty too long, stay hydrated to try to avoid constipation, and use ice packs and "shrinking" meds like Preparation H as needed.

Good luck!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

You might try visiting a proctologist. He would probably be more sensitive to your needs and could help you. Good luck!

...and I'd fire the other doctor.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #8  

Thanks ladies. I guess I feel better reading about others experiences since no one around me can related.

And the jerk doctor wasn't my GP, he was merely the attending for walk-ins. First time I've ever had a bad experience with any doctor at the clinic but I will not be seeing that one ever again. If it can't wait and he's seeing walk-ins, I'll go to the ER! My doctor will get an earful about him Thursday.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #9  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Don't you love this forum, that we can ask these questions! I had my first thrombosed hemmie about three weeks after the birth of my son and the pain was awful so you have my sympathy.

Are you considering complaining about the walk in Dr? I hate it when you have to see someone that isn't your normal Dr, it always seems that I have had terrible luck when having to see someone else!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #10  

XLMuffinTop- I hope you don't think I'm crazy, but I had acupuncture to treat my hemorrhoids and they haven't come back since. It has something to do with "building blood" and an acupuncturist can explain to you more about that and how having hemorrhoids is a result of "low" blood chi- hard to understand because chinese medicine is different than western, and western seems to only recognize anemic levels, but in chinese medicine it is possible to treat "low blood" chi without any invasive treatments and then all sorts of symptoms from low blood such as hemorrhoids, disappear!
rivkasreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #11  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

I get these from time to time still if I strain. But I got a cream from the doc that has some steroid medication in it to get rid of them. Use it once or twice a day and within a week, its completly gone. I will look at the name of it when I get home since maybe you can get some to keep around the house when it gets bad.
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #12  

Thanks for the input everyone.

It turned out not to be hemorroids at all but an abscess which became infected. I ended up in the ER on January 30th with a 101.9 fever so they checked me in and took me to surgery the next morning.

Similar to a thrombosed hemorroid, I felt a thousand times better once it was drained but holy crap!!!! Changing the packing in the wound was pure torture, plain and simple. I've never sobbed like that in my life (from physical pain).

Needless to say, the topical creams they were giving me were pretty much pointless! Now the wound is healing nicely and hope to be back to my old habits soon.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #13  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I'm glad to hear its resolved. But does it make you feel more annoyed at the Dr who just dismissed you?
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #14  

After the appointment with that particular doctor I knew he as a jackhole to put it nicely. I've already written to complain to the clinic about it and will never see him and have stated so.

I have no problems letting clinics and hospitals know when they've screwed up. When the nurse who changed my packing pretty much tortured me (removed it and packed it dry instead of wet to dry), I told the charge nurse what happened and called to talk to higher administrators after the fact.

I know being a doctor and a nurse is hard work and I try to be pretty understanding of that fact but you can't dismiss people like that and I won't let it happen again... because I won't see them. I tell everyone I know about the particular doctor so they won't see him either. Eventually enough of their patients will refuse to see him and he'll be fired or move on somewhere else.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Apathy in the medical world

Just reading your post left me upset at your doctor. I have had it up to HERE with apathetic Drs and nurses who don't listen--especially during pregnancy and post delivery. I had a bad experience with a woman doctor pre-delivery. Completely dismissive of my worries. She preformed a cervical check that left me bleeding for three days and then on my next exam when I said I didn't want another cervical check, she said that she wouldn't since I had "freaked out" about it before. Actually said "freaked out." As though my fears of bleeding heavily and potential infection before childbirth were completely unfounded.

You know how vulnerable and tired you feel during pregnancy and how difficult it can be to really question the decisions and reactions of the doctors whom you've put your trust in. I recently decided that enough's enough. It's your pain and your body. If they're not listening, stop them, reiterate, if they refuse, then find someone else pronto and write a letter to either the Dr with whom you had issue or their clinic.

Like you, I had a hemorrhoid problem dismissed as well--turns out it was also an abscess. I decided to have surgery and it has helped. I'm glad your situation has taken a turn for the better.

I really wish I could take every pregnant girl or woman I run into and just say, hey, listen to your body and if your doctor isn't listening, make him/her or find someone who will.
whiningawayxz is offline   Reply With Quote