General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Angry Why is there HFCS in a can of kidney beans from Target???

OK, so I know this might get moved to food, but I'm hoping it stays here so more people see it. I am a label checker, for the most part. I know that food manufacturers are trying to sneak HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) in everything and usually check stuff out. So I am making my healthy chili recipe, and I had dry navy beans and pintos that I boiled (I usually buy my beans in bulk and then boil them up because it is cheaper) and I decided to add a can of kidney beans that I picked up on my last shopping trip from Target. Low and behold, I glance on the back of the can and HFCS!!! Why???? Am I an idiot? Is there some preservative property that HFCS has to make it necessary to add it to plain beans? I rinsed the crap out of them and threw them in the pot.

I think somebody wants to make us FAT!!!!

From now on, I am checking labels of plain vegetables, beans, etc. that I purchase in the can, and make sure I am not getting duped.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For some reason, canned kidney beans often have sugar in them. If you want kidney beans without sugar, go for the spanish brands. Iberia, Goya, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #3  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

Yep, Sugar is a preservative. That's one reason twinkies last for ever!! HEHE. Crazy I know, just goes to show that you HAVE to read EVERY label.
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote