100 lb. Club - Have you ever thrown it away?

View Full Version : Have you ever thrown it away?

Eliana
01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
I bought some multi-grain chip things that tasted a lot like Bugles. I'm really not sure why I bought them except as a treat for my kids' lunches. I rarely buy chips. As I was dividing them into baggies I checked the nutrition label first. There were 170 calories in 11 chips! That's like 11 tortilla chips. That's a small serving. First I decided to go with just 6 chips, but 6 was pitiful. So I threw out the whole bag. They were not worth the calories.

It's hard to throw stuff away. Have you ever done it?

Shannon in ATL
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Yep. I do it a lot - I buy something, find it isn't worth the calorie hit for it and know I can't control it so out it goes. Hard, absolutely. Necessary? Also absolutely. :)

KatMarie
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I got a big box of those 100 calorie snack packs from Sam's. Then ended up stomping on all of the bags to crush them up (so I wouldn't pull them out of the trash, I know, gross) and threw them out. They were still junk food, like 6 tiny cookies or 10 tiny sunchips, full of fat, sugar and yuck. They just made me crave bad stuff again and I didn't want to eat just 1 pack, I wanted to eat 3 or 4 at a time.

time2lose
01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes, I have thrown stuff away more than once. Usually it is because it is calling to me so I throw it away before I give in. Sometimes I am just weak and the only way to resist something is to get rid of it.

Emme
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes! I can't stand having certain things in the house because they tempt me too much. I love baking and if I have leftover things from baking (like cookies that were used in a recipe) I will (*sometimes*) toss them so I don't have to be tempted by them. But, other times I will hold onto things to see how good my willpower is to not eat them. Weird, but that's my mind sometimes!

rachael
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes. It took me a long time to learn that I don't have to eat something just because I bought it. I sometimes try to give it away first, but I do toss things regularly.

It also took me a long time to realize that I don't have to watch a whole scary movie if I start watching it and am grossed out or scared. I am a slow learner about the obvious.

KmbRN84
01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
A little bit different, but I made shells and cheese for my niece and there was left over. I put in the fridge for someone else to eat but in the end I caved. I took like 6 bits, realized what I was doing and threw the rest in the trash. I just couldn't have it in the fridge without eating it.

supergir111
01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
When I find myself going back several times a day or when I am pms'ing I know to destroy the snacks, not just throw away but destroy lol.

beerab
01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I hate tossing out food- it makes me feel bad- I think it stems from years of my mom saying "there are starving children in Africa."

I rarely throw stuff away now- I usually give it away and there is always someone happy to take it.

I know for sure now I spend forever reading labels- it drives my hubby NUTS lol.

scarletmeshell
01-24-2011, 12:40 PM
My daughter spends every other weekend with her Dad. He works at a grocery store and always gets junk on sale then sends it to my house. I will keep it for a day or two and just toss it out.

girlonfire
01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't throw food away- I live in a house with 6 other girls so if I put on the counter or in the fridge with a note that says "free!", it will get eaten. I find throwing food away to be such a waste, but if I had to choose between bingeing or tossing it out, I will toss it out. Eating beyond my needs is just as wasteful, imo.

Eliana
01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I've been known to douse leftover birthday cake with water. It's hard to do, but I've never regretted it.

nelie
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Yes. I've even bought something at the store, gotten in my car, gotten out of the car, grabbed what I bought and thrown it in the trash.

nationalparker
01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
There was a female comic - I can't remember who (rita rudner?) who used to say she'd throw cookies in the sink and put dish detergent on them so she wouldn't eat them out of the trash. Then she'd add, but I've found that lemon Joy-flavored oreos aren't that bad. :)

Trazey34
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm a give-away-er myself.. If I bake something, DH and I enjoy a piece and maybe save one piece for later, then give the rest to my neighbour who never has home-cooked treats... I also do counselling at a youth group home and those kids can pound back a TON of food LOL so everything always has a place to go!

Like over Christmas -- friends of ours own a Costco in the States, and for some reason thought it would be nice to give me 5 assorted 1.3KG bags of M&Ms!!!!!!!!!!! like WTF???? I filled a baggie to keep and the rest were inhaled in about 3 days at the shelter!!

SouthLake
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Yep. I also have a rule that restaurant leftovers don't come home with me. So even if I only finish 1/4 of my plate- the rest gets tossed. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting money- but I ate what I wanted, there's no need to go overboard. Same thign with junk food, I can allow myself a little bit, but then I throw out the rest. Whather its cookies, chips, leftover pizza, etc. I'd rather have it in the trash than on my waist!

Pacifica Bee
01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I throw stuff out a lot, or put it out on the community table at work. I buy something when it looks good int he moment, then never eat it. Or open the package and eat one item and the rest go stale.

Since i have been counting calories and eating clean for a year, I always check the label before buying. But, the first 6 months I was forever reading the label after it was too late.

c_laura
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I throw things out a lot actually. Before food would just linger and I would graze all day long. Now I don't have bad food in the house and if I do buy something that isn't great I'll eat a serving or two and then dispose of it. It actually makes me a little happy. The food isn't in charge of me. I am in charge of what I eat.

Gale02
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm also a giver-awayer. For the most part though, I read the label before I buy it. And, if I don't read the label but bring it home and decide not to eat it before it's been opened, I return it to the store and get my money back.

JustSharing83
01-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Last year for Easter, my mom gave me a basket with tons of candy. I kept one of each and threw the rest away... I felt bad about wasting, but I would have felt worse if I had eaten it. Funny thing is, I didn't trust myself to not dig it out of the trash, so I melted it in the microwave first and maybe even put some mustard on it. :bunny:

Beverlyjoy
01-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Absolutely! Better in the trash than in you. I have always used the dishsoap to contaminate the food, too.

AZ Sunrises
01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Yup. The worst is when I'm craving ice cream...give in...and then toss the tub after a couple of bites. It's wasteful, but I'm getting what I want and trashing it so I don't go overboard.

Oh my, does it kill me to watch the garbage disposal suck it into oblivion.

Eliana
01-24-2011, 07:34 PM
I wanted so bad to throw out all the goodies in the lounge today!! But they weren't mine to throw away! I can't tell you how many "slivers" of this darn good coffee cake I ate! :dizzy: I never should have taken that first bite. It actually didn't look good. I usually think the stuff tastes like cardboard. I often take a bite just to remind myself that really, I don't like it. So I bit. And it was good, darnit!! Had it been in my house, I'd have thrown it away. :yes:

Jessica88
01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I do that every once in a while when I get the urge to have a soda...I usually just take a couple of sips then pour the rest down the sink because I know if i opened it and took a few sips and put it back in the fridge I would eventually finish the whole can so it takes away the temptation even though sometimes its painful watching the rest of the soda just pour down the sink haha :)

spixiet
01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
yep - baked a sugar free cake using greek yogurt instead of eggs and oil...nutritionally great (for cake, that is)...however, I swear I could hear its siren call from every room in the house. After I'd had 2 servings, and was going back for more, I dumped the whole thing in the garbage...

fillupthesky
01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
I've been known to douse leftover birthday cake with water. It's hard to do, but I've never regretted it.

i do the same thing!!! if i'm out to dinner and have eaten an off plan meal, i never take the rest home with me. i eat about half (or more :o) and pour water over the whole thing so i can't take it home or keep picking at it. the waiters always look at me like i'm nuts.

i will throw out food if it calls my name from the fridge or pantry...i've been working too hard!!!

JennyT
01-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes to all of the above! My hubs buys a lot of stuff when he's home from work (a week here a week away) and usually leaves a bunch when he leaves, bagels, buns, cinnoman buns etc- as soon as he leaves- down the garborater it goes!! If its packaged stuff I take it work with me (group home) and let the staff and residents go at it lol

twinmommaplusone
01-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm too thrifty to chuck, I typically always check it before I buy it. If it's on the high side and still healthy/wholesome my kids can handle the extra calories, lol.

BUT I get what you are saying :-)

ubergirl
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh gosh yes. Too many times to count. Honestly, I did it more when I was a hard core binger. I would get so out of control that the ONLY way to stop myself was to throw stuff away. Now, not so much, but if I needed to, I would. I try to remind myself that food that makes me fat is just as "wasted" as food that goes into the trash.

Call Me Stephanie
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
I used to send a BUNCH of stuff to my Mom's house (my teenage brother was still living at home) so I knew it'd be gone within a day or so... but now my brother moved and I live at my Mom's house... A lot of things I buy thinking I'd like them and don't. But I knew someone would eat them. Now I'm a bit less inclined to "try" things 'cause there isn't anyone to eat it if I don't... and I hate to throw things away. It doesn't help that my dumspter of a husband is at school for the Air Force... maybe when my daughter's a bit older. haha

Note: I tend to buy healthy snacks to try and don't always like them... so I wouldn't feel bad to feed it to my daughter.

krampus
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE throwing food away, so I pretty much only buy individually sized things. I will never be the person who eats half of an ice cream cone and throws the rest away (I'd rather die).

The only food I don't feel bad about tossing is 99 yen (1 dollar) loaves of white bread.

kaplods
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't have any qualms about throwing out unhealthy food, especially when I learned that even most foodbanks are overstocked on junk foods. Even in foodbanks, there's often an excess of junk and a shortage of real, nutritious food. In most areas, the majority of donations are junk, probably because people are purging their cabinets to eat healthier or because they assume it's the "treats" that are in short supply or they're thinking that they're actually doing needly people a favor. As diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure rates are highest among the lowest income, donating junk food to foodbanks may actually do more harm than good. We've changed our donation practices as a result (We still donate, we just don't donate our junky rejects).

It's made me look at food very differently. I'm less frugal at the garbagae can, and more frugal at the grocery store. I buy whole eggs and throw out some of the whites without guilt, because I know there's more waste in buying prepackaged whites. If I rarely used eggs, it would be more frugal to buy powedered eggs. Just as we rarely eat potatoes so I buy frozen potatoes occasionally, and have some mashed potato flakes in the cupboard.

In the summer I buy fruits and veggies from the farmers markets because they're fresher, last longer in the fridge, taste better, and are cheaper (even what's more expensive, is usually cheaper when I factor in shelf life).

I also like to buy from the oriental markets, because our local asian community is much choosier about freshness than most locals. They shop more like they did in Asia, several times a week and they expect the freshest produce. Since we have an Asian market only about three blocks from our house, we've begun shopping that way.

I make my own salad sprouts. In about five days I can grow the equivalent in volume of a head of lettuce, but much more nutritious.

In many ways, hubby and I are more food frugal than ever before. I don't even throw out a poultry carcass until after I've made soup with it, even if I have to freeze it. At one time I had half a turkey carcass (we had only bought a breast) and two rotisserie chicken carcasses in the freezer.

Hubby won't eat leftovers, but will eat planned-over remodeled leftovers (as long as it looks like a different meal, he'll eat it. So I'll cube meatloaf into spaghetti sauce, or make tacos from leftover roast beef....).

We don't buy or eat potatoes very often anymore, but when we did, I even made crispy potato skins from washed potato peels.

I use the cores and leaves and overripe bits of veggies for stock. I even eat the cores of cauliflower and pineapple (as much as possible anyway. The gold hybrids have more edible core than other varieties).

So when it comes to real healthy food, I don't have to throw much out unless I get careless and overbuy fruit and veggies (even then I can usually prevent having to throw it away, by freezing it). We bought a small chest freezer a year or two ago with Christmas gift money. Best purchase ever.

debuneko
01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
This question makes me consider how much easier it is to eat less in Japan and not worry about wasting food because everything is sold in smaller quantities and many snacks are sold in very tiny individually-wrapped packages. When you buy cookies here, you get 8 tiny cookies in their own packages that are about 50 calories each. It's very easy not only to eat one (and feel bad about eating more as you have to unwrap each one and end up with a mound of trash staring at you), but you can keep them for a very long time and they don't go stale.

Beyond serving sizes in the U.S., the bulk sales also contribute to people eating more. The food is cheaper, but how many people open up a sleeve of Oreos and eat all of it because it's the contents of the sleeve? There's definitely a psychological element to the way the food is packaged and eating more.

If you are reluctant to throw food away and will eat it not to waste it, bulk packaging will encourage more consumption, not only because it may spoil or go stale unless eaten in a timely fashion, but also because of the way in which people tend to eat what is in a package rather than eat a little, seal the bag, and store the rest. This is something I'm sure food producers are not ignorant of and take advantage of. Of course, the American consumers are also responsible because of the way they perceive food and value. A market can get you to spend more by selling more in the package and the profit margins are narrow on food so they encourage you to buy more at once. This is different in Japan because the freshness of food (and that means not freezing things) is of higher value and women are accustomed to the idea of daily shopping (and have small storage space for food).

Personally, I hated to throw out food, but I realized that putting the food into me was not adding value to the food. Once the money was spent, making me fatter wasn't going to make it better spent, especially if I ate things that I didn't like. As kaplods said, the best way to approach this is to shop as smart as possible. Once you've made the mistake, using your body as the trash can isn't doing anything useful.