Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Default exercise day off

My trainer insists I take a day off. He really wanted me to take two days off but I can't bring myself to do that.

Today is Sunday my exercise day off. I can't think of anything but the guilt I feel not working out and I am even limiting my calories. I go outside and run around with the kids but I miss the gym. I know my muscles need a break... but does anyone else have a hard time on their day off?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I have been taking Sunday off. Took Saturday and Sunday off this week. I do feel a little guilty, but its nice to have a break and probably very important to the muscles I've been working this week. Try not to get down. Everyone deserves a little break.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Nope...not me! I run 4 days a week and GLADLY take the other 3 days off. Actually, when I first started, I ran/walk for 20 minutes 6 days/week and did good with my fat loss. But when I started running for miles and miles, I had to cut down the amount of days/week because it effected negatively both my performance and stalled/slowed down my fat loss. 4 days is PERFECT for me as the lbs are really flying off! Additionally, I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT cut down my calories on non-workout days....and I allow myself one CHEAT MEAL per week. I've lost 40+ lbs in a little over 4 months.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I always feel guilty when I don't work out. I try to just keep active by moving a lot. Not much advice, but I do get it.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #5  
Living the Life

I don't feel bad about off days when I put in a good exercise week.
Our bodies need time off to be ready for the next round.

I will stretch or maybe do a light yoga session, go for a walk on rest days if I do feel the need to be active though.
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #6  
Are we there yet?

S/C/G: 295/ticker/160

Height: 5'7''

I'm glad you posted this, because I had a similar concern. I've been going 5 days a week but I never manage to get out on Saturdays and Sundays... I usually spend them catching up on homework and walking the 20 minutes to campus to go to the gym is a difficult task (especially in the frigid Montreal weather!). I'm glad people can manage off-days without stalling weight loss!
Patrizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

I took Saturday off and yes. I had a terrible time with it. I justified in my mind that I was 'okay' because I had gone sledding and walked up and down that snowy hill a dozen times chasing after kids but still.... it was tough.

This morning I decided I needed a plan. I dont like this guilt stuff! So my plan is to run Sun-Friday. Sat off. And Mon-Wed-Fri to do 30 Day Shred or another muscle building workout. Im am seriously in to these muscles Ive been getting.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Your 'day off' doesn't really have to be a day off. You could do something like a light walk and stretching or yoga. I prefer days off where I do something like work on my flexibility.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I love and enjoy my my days off... Some days I exercise twice/day so I feel I deserve them... Some days off are active days off but others are just plain ole lazy days of doing nothing ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I was pretty active on Sunday my day off... I hauled 5-6 loads of "stuff" up the stairs, played soccer outside with my kids.

It is just the excitement of going to the gym on Sunday. I wish there was a yoga class on Sunday. That is a great idea. Can't think of what I could do at the gym on a day off.

But, today is Monday! YAH! I go at 9 and warm up and do abs, 9:45-10:45 I spin and 11 I work upper body with my trainer. YAH!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/165/129

Height: 5'3"

I feel badly when I take my day off - like I should be doing something. I typically take off Saturdays because of the running around for sports activities with my children. I took this Sunday off, too, so feeling doubly bad! I will be working extra hard at the gym tonight, though.
Kimberly2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I used to have a hard time with it, but then I realized exercise 7 days per week was not sustainable. I am all about absolute sustainability.

I also took a whole week and a half off after a year's worth of never missing a workout. Best thing I ever did! My work outs now mean more. They're energized. I can train harder and better with rest.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #13  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

im having a really hard time not doing exercising..its almost like ive become addicted to exercising..its like..if i dont do an hour or two, i feel like crap and that sucks..im trying so hard not to do anything but i want to..i dont feel guilty but i feel like im not happy if i dont do anything..and its like.. calorie burning is like a goal..when i see my calorie burn go up, it makes me want to do it even more and go further then i went last time..the most ive burn in a workout session has been 900 calories and now i want to surpass that..and now that im trying to take a day off because my scale has stalled.. i want to eat and eat and eat cause i feel depressed from not working out.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #14  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Your body needs the break. I'm with Nelie...if you feel that bad not exercising on the 6th/7th day, do some light stretching or yoga.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #15  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I always have a loss after a rest day. Even after a 2 day break (my MIL was in town and we went out to eat a few times) I had a loss. I try to enjoy my days off, sometimes I do obsess about workouts on my days off. I feel like I should be doing something, but I know that resting is good for my body so I try to relax.
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote