Alternachicks - What Was The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back?

VeggieGurlShay
01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi I'm new here and I am curious to know what made you decide to lose weight? I'm talking about 'That's it! I'm tired of this! This is no way to live!' type of moment that made you decide that this time you weren't playing and come **** or high water you WOULD lose weight and lose it for good.

I guess for me I knew that I had to lose weight and that I would lose this weight was when a few things happened:

1. I noticed I had a side boobs? You know the extra bit of boob that sneaks under your arm. It doesn't discriminate either. It will pop up on women and men. Well I realized that I cant put my arms down flat without discomfort so my arms kinda prop out like a muscle bound person without the muscle!

2. I saw my shadow and I was like "OMFG...damn my shadow is fat!" Now you don't even really think about your shadow most times but I'm telling you this shadow was bulky and just not what I imagine my silhouette being in my denial-land. LOL.

3. Finally, the most embarrassing and part that made me cry. I will share it because I know I cant be the only one. Well....the third thing was that I noticed that wiping myself was becoming difficult. There I said it. I noticed I was so fat that I could barely reach my ***. That I had to fight fat rolls to get there because trust me I was going to get there! But I thought I shouldn't have to fight my own *** to be clean.

So, here I am. That was the straw that broke my camel's back.

Ann72
01-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Veggie-I feel like I've had so many straws over the years. The latest was my 4-yr-old nephew announcing loudly at a party (in front of 20+) people that I was fat.

Thanks for sharing so openly and I wish you luck on your weight loss journey. I am back here myself starting again and determined to do it right this time.

VeggieGurlShay
01-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Ann I totally get that. My kids say, "My mom is Big". I dont think I like them seeing me as Big. Its sweet they dont want to say fat but I know what they mean.

surrendertolis
01-22-2011, 09:24 PM
I fell in love and someone actually loved me in return. It made me want to change my life for the better. I lost 60 pounds and felt great. But then after a couple years, the relationship started falling apart and I started gaining my weight back. But since he left me, I've been a lot more focused on my health and taking care of myself. I've lost 45 pounds so far and I'm feeling alright. Watching weight loss shows on TV, like MTV's "I Used to Be Fat", help me to see that real weight loss is possible and it's something that I can achieve if I work really hard.

TeresaKM
01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
I know what you mean, it was a moment for me as well when I struggled to take care "personal business" in that area as well (lol). But, my big moment was when..... I couldn't fasten my seat belt on a airplane. I panicked and ask my boyfriend of only 8 months to help. I pulled, he pulled until I almost passed out. And... I said right then and there the next time I get on a plane, I will be able to buckle the seat belt.
Take Care All and Good Luck!

kaplods
01-23-2011, 12:31 AM
There was no straw "this time." All of my other significant weight losses begain with the proverbial "last straw," but not this time.

I thought that the straw was necessary, and I thought my previous failures were due to a lack of will power on my part. I think I was wrong.

I didn't lack willpower, but I was repeatedly dashing my head against the same brick wall.

Seeing that dieting (the way I knew how to do it) only in the end resulted in weight gain, I gave up dieting forever (I thought).

And then without any effort (or even awareness, as I didn't own a scale) I lost 20 lbs. When my pulmonologist told me this would likely happen after prescribing a cpap machine for me for sleep apnea, I thought he was nuts (I'd never lost weight accidentally in my life).

A year later at my anual checkup I discovered that I lost 20 lbs. What was especially ironic was that it was during a time in which my activity level had drastically fell because of disabling illness (fibromyalgia, insulin resistance, autoimmune disease, arthritis, and copd). I could barely walk, barely breathe, and barely stay awake.

I was so astonished at the 20 lbs, that I decided that if I could lose it without trying, I should be able to keep it off with a little effort, and maybe I could lose more, but I knew I couldn't go back to dieting the way I was used to dieting.

I decided that I would only make changes that I was willing to commit to for life, whether or not they resulted in any weight loss at all. And for two years those changes didn't result in any weight loss at all (but I was able to keep the 20 lbs off, which was a small miracle of it's own. I'd spent most of my life gaining steadily or losing steadily. I had very little experience in maintaining weight loss).

Even though I didn't lose any weight for those two years, I did gain some pretty incredible health improvements. Just being able to shower standing was a big milestone (I had to have a shower chair), and being able to sleep in a normal bed with my husband. For a year, we had to sleep in seperate bedrooms because hubby could not sleep with my snoring and with the incline I needed. We had to jack the head of my bed up a foot higher than the foot of the bed. All night it felt like I was sliding out of bed, but I needed the steep incline so gravity would help drain gunk from my lungs.

It wasn't "hitting bottom" that made me desperate to make changes (as much as it would seem logical), it was finding out what made losing easier and less stressful. And for me, it was dieting "backwards" from the way I'd been taught to.

I'd always been taught (by the example of people around me, and the books I'd read) to diet "full-speed-ahead" with the idea that hopefully when I reached goal weight, I could back off. Start with 1,000 calorie diet (or less) and as much activity as I could handle without puking, and (eventually in theory) at goal weight I'd be able to eat more and exercise less. I only knew how to lose weight by doing almost nothing else (social life, education, career they all didn't just take a back seat, they virtually were abandoned).

Eventually I'd always get burnt out on the intense effort and having no life, and would decide that "I'll never be thin, so what's the point..."

My doctor also recommended low-carb eating. It took more than a year for me to give it an honest shot, because I was so used to seeing low-carb as an unhealthy and even potentially dangerous diet. But eventually I learned that low-carb is the only way I'm able to control hunger. It was another way to make weight loss easier.

This is the easiest, lowest stress weight loss I've evern accomplished. Sure it's slower, and I do want to pick up the pace, but not as badly as I want to keep the easy, low-stress pace, because I think the ease and stresslessness are the secrets to my success. I've never lost nearly this much weight before. 70 lbs was my previous record, and that was with amphetamine diet pills and my best (teenage) metabolism.

I think the biggest change though has been in how I view weight loss. This time I value every ounce lost. In the past, I thought only making it to goal weight counted or mattered. When I felt like I couldn't lose any more weight, I felt "what's the use, I'll never make it to goal." Now I think "Even if I can't make it to goal, I can keep off what I've lost so far."

Even if I can't make it to goal, I can keep off what I've lost so far.

I think it wasn't so much a "last straw" as a paradigm shift - that is "thinking outside the box." I realized that there are a lot of dieting myths and "traditions" that I had learned without realizing I had learned them. One of them was giving up when the process became frustrating. I'd seen my mother do it, my grandmother do it, so many friends and strangers at WW, TOPS, and OA meetings. I realized that I had learned to do weight loss wrong, just because it's how I saw most people doing it.

Every parent says "do what I say, not what I do," but observational learning is an extremely powerful force. Mostly we learn what we see, even if we know it's not the most effective strategy. It isn't very easy to learn from other people's mistakes (especially if the mistake is almost universal).

It's a bit like swearing when you bang your thumb or toe. If it's what you've learned, unlearning it can be more challenging than you imagine.

Unlearning. I think that's really been the "secret" of my success this time. And some of it, I didn't realize I had learned, which made unlearning that much larger a challenge.

Thighs Be Gone
01-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Seeing a photo and not recognizing ME anymore...feeling like I was pigeon-holed as the fat mom.....and probably the most embarrassing..setting up a Wii account in front of a group of people and having OBESE flash on the screen..

Beyond that, I have three sisters all very sick...two with MS and one with breast cancer....I had to do something

VeggieGurlShay
01-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Kaplods thanks for sharing.

I understand what you are saying. I also like to think of this as a journey I'm about to embark on. A journey of learning and loving myself.

I think some people have to immerse themselves in weightloss and exercise sometimes so that they can break the old patterns of behavior and incorporate the new ones. I'm using anger and disgust to fuel my charge.

I need to use that energy to push me forward to the day where my lifestyle changes afford me enough energy to continue without them.

I'm sure I've learned wrong. I do believe that you have to find what works for you and use it.

I dont really know what eating plan I'm going to follow. I dont like counting points etc but I know I need to portion. Carbs hate me but heavy meat eating messes up my digestive system. I used to live in florida but now I live in Canada and what worked in weight loss there doesnt work here (not to mention we dont get the fruits & veggies I'm used to).

I'm going to start off with WW and then lower the carbs and increase the veggies. And just tweak it as I go along. Evaluating everything as I go along.

kaplods
01-23-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm using anger and disgust to fuel my charge.

I need to use that energy to push me forward to the day where my lifestyle changes afford me enough energy to continue without them.

Everyone really is unique, and if this works for you, and you're ok with it, more power to you. I really wish you the best with it.

However, I do have to point out (in case anyone might find it helpful), that this was a major downfall of mine in the past.

Most of my previous weight loss attempts begain with self-loathing, anger, and disgust. And it usually worked in the beginning, but always backfired in the end.

Either I'd get sick of beating myself up and decide that I didn't deserve the self-torture, or when weight loss slowed, I'd see it as proof that I was too despicable, lazy, crazy and weak to succeed.

Seeing weight loss, diet and exercise as ways to pamper my wonderful self, rather than as a way to punish my horrible, worthless self has been much more successful.

I've had a lot more success with "loving myself thin," than "hating myself thin." I try to create a weight loss spa atmosphere at home (making my food choices extra delicious, and my exercise choices extra fun), and the closer I come, the better I lose, but it still often feels weird and uncomfortable, like I'm doing something I don't really deserve.

I wish I could convince myself truly that I do deserve this.

helen73
01-23-2011, 07:43 PM
and probably the most embarrassing..setting up a Wii account in front of a group of people and having OBESE flash on the screen..
Oh the way that avatar literally hangs her head in shame and says in her sing song voice "that's obese" is a real killer. I will never cease from wanting to strangle whomever designed that crap.

Ann72
01-23-2011, 09:07 PM
wow, so glad I don't have a wii. LOL. I beat myself up enough.

mountain mama
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
surrender: I had a very similar thing happen in my life. I was happy and newly married, lost 72 pounds... got divorced... gained it back.

Theresa: The airplane thing is a big deal for me too. I travel alot ( live in arkansas but my mom and dad live in Canada) I was pregnant at the time.. but to need an extender... was depressing....

The last straw for me... well it's a combo of things.. I think this time.. its definitley just having no more excuses. I know that I can lose it... safely... and i'm with someone that loves me, I have a new baby and i'm not working.I can get this weight off again.. and I will not let myself gain it back due to being tired, lazy or emotional.

So i guess the last straw is surpassing my highest weight while pregnant.. and knowing It's time to get my butt in gear!

plane seats and being embarrassed to show my bf my weight at the hospital when I was giving birth were big signs too!

surrendertolis
01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
surrender: I had a very similar thing happen in my life. I was happy and newly married, lost 72 pounds... got divorced... gained it back.

Yeah, it's hard to go through something earth-shattering and NOT have it affect your health in any way. I've realized that I'm an emotional eater. When I'm angry, depressed, lonely, stressed...I eat and eat and eat for comfort. And then that only makes me feel even worse because I hate the way I look and feel. I've realized that I feel so much better when I'm eating healthy and exercising regularly. I miss my ex and adjusting to life without him has been very hard on me, but I refuse to let myself go this time. I need to get on the road to emotional recovery and feel good about myself for me, and not just because someone loves me. I need to love myself.

JenniferJ
02-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Veggie - I have to agree with you. It was that moment of struggling to reach places on my body and realizing that if I didn't do something - it was only going to get worse. My weight has been up and down since having my daughter, but the last year it has been steadily going up. Having to strain in the shower to reach all my parts was truly a startling moment and made me resolve to fix it. I am so glad to know that I am not alone in my "oh **** - something must be done" moment. :-)

DigitalSinner
02-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Realizing that the person in those pictures my doucheface friends like to tag all the time on Facebook was me. FAT!!!!

Our Lady Bonbon
03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Hmm... Well, the straw for me also happened in the washroom, but not on the commode, lol. It actually happened in the bathtub while I was dunking my head. I was so fat that the water didn't have enough room to get under my back, and it STUCK TO THE TUB! By the time I was able to twist around enough to get free, I had a bruise the size of a small plate forming on my lower back. That was when I (figuratively) threw my hands up and said, "That's it."

archychick
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Oh Veggie & gang, I have experienced many of the things you have described. My stars, the shadow thing is SO upsetting, isn't it?! lol Well, we will all be able to chalk it up to past tense, right? We can do it! *hugs

The major factors that have put a sustainable fire under me are:

1. Ramping up my business and receiving requests for video, newspaper (with photo) and tv interviews

2. My book release this Summer that will also generate the same media attention as above

3. Meeting with clients real-time in an office besides online
and

4. Performing a bellydance routine this Summer NOT being a fatty-bo-batty

All good things that have given me the inspiration to practice a fair amount of will power without pangs. I am also working my butt off in bellydance and aerobic bellydance class. :)

4star
03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
My weight had been going up and down with health issues and pregnancies for years but I think Valentine's Day was my kicker to really stop playing around. My hubby bought me a box of chocolate truffles and I finished it off in 2-3 days and put back on the few pounds I had lost the previous few weeks. My acid reflux really started to flare-up also and I just had a epiphany that the docs were right. This is hurting me not only with acid reflux but I have had gestational diabetes twice and one day I may very well become diabetic but IT WILL happen if I don't get real and do what's healthy for me. It's a fact that I had been denying, putting it off, taking for granted there was time. There might be time but if I am gonna spend it eating junk, it's gonna run out fast. So there you have it...Plain and simple. I am fighting to keep my health. One more thing, I recently found some relief for my arthritis and I feel indebted to repay that blessing my doing my best towards my health. If not now, while I can, when will I ever get past this 50 lbs?

leopardtuks
03-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Saw spirit of the marathon and a man in his 60s was running. It was like jesus I am 23, I can do it.

SMSDREAMER2007
03-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I got tired of never finding reasonably priced clothes and having to pay that "$2 extra for extended sizes"

LoonMoon
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Well, I am totally new here and this is my very first post! Wheee!

I've always been a bigger girl since I was a little kid (got teased tons in elementary school) but am also really active and enjoy things like camping, hiking, climbing, etc. I had a really intense past couple of years, split from my wife (lost 50-60lbs) in a very MESSY break up, started dating a new woman who has a son, got a temp. job because I couldn't find full time work with my recreation degree, so now I sit in a cubicle 24/7 and over the holidays I've put back on the 50-60lbs I HAD lost. It was the thinnest I'd ever been as an adult and I felt so sexy and happy with myself that now I'm back into all this weight I'm totally frustrated with it. It's amazing what simple stress can do to our bodies!

I'm also battling a lot of depression these days and I feel like focusing on myself is a good way to start taking over the war. So here I am! I guess in a nutshell my STRAW is therapy and exhaustion after doing things I used to be able to do quite easily!

Mindless Games
03-05-2011, 01:09 PM
The last straw was realizing I needed new clothes (I rarely shop) and staring at myself in the cruel cruel cruel 3 way mirrors. Nothing cute fit right and the stuff that did made me look matronly.

finny
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM
my last straw.... seeing christmas pictures and going -- that is NOT me. !!

MichelleD
03-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I got my picture taken with Voltaire... and thought I looked exactly like one of my aunts, just shorter. Here was the coolest random photo I have, and I honestly couldn't recognize myself. I looked at that photo and said wait... wait... it wasn't supposed to be like this. Then I needed a seat belt extension on the plane. Ahahah. No. Will not be doing that again. Ever.

So, I sent in a password request for 3FC and back I am. Announcer Voice: This time, it's personal. I swear when I get to my goal, my reward will be tickets to an awesome con to get a new random picture of amazingness. :D And a sexy body. That will be a pretty sweet reward.

rbphoenix
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
It was a cumulation of stuff for me but I think what did it was seeing the scale tip 3lbs over my highest weight. That and realizing all the "loose" clothes in my wardrobe were now all too tight and I couldn't fit into anything in a normal store anymore. I was like, "If I don't change something I'm only going to get bigger." I knew then that the weight problem wasn't going to fix itself.

tinamariex16
04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Two things..

1.) I was trying things on in a Victorias Secret dressing room and their lights shine from the floor up.. and make your flaws stand out 10x worse than they would otherwise. I was MORTIFIED.

2.) I decided I want to join the Marines. I have about 60 lbs to lose before I can even attempt to join and then I have to meet physical requirements.

chickwithagoal
04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I have decided to start this journey because I feel awful all the time. I am so out of shape, and can't do what I want to in life because I am so lethargic and out of it all the time.

Txalupa
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Two things..

1.) I was trying things on in a Victorias Secret dressing room and their lights shine from the floor up.. and make your flaws stand out 10x worse than they would otherwise. I was MORTIFIED.

2.) I decided I want to join the Marines. I have about 60 lbs to lose before I can even attempt to join and then I have to meet physical requirements.

Joining the Marines?? How freaking inspiring!! You are amazing and you will do it.

Even after losing weight I don't think I'm tough enough for the Marines, so I envy you big time!

tinamariex16
04-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Joining the Marines?? How freaking inspiring!! You are amazing and you will do it.

Even after losing weight I don't think I'm tough enough for the Marines, so I envy you big time!

Thank you! I'm so impatient though, I wish I could fast forward time to about a year from now. Slowly but surely it'll happen.

cajun moma
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
My last straw was in Feb.. I decided to buy and exercise bike. I really hate trying to put things together but my husband was out of town and I didn't want to wait. I spent a very LONG day trying to asemble it, about 6 hours, of asembling and taking apart and reasembling. When I was just about done I noticed a sticker on the body of the bike it said " WEIGHT LIMIT 250LBS DO NOT EXCEED MAY DAMAGE BIKE". My weight at the time was 275! It felt like a slap in the face and a kick in the gut at the same time. All I could do was sit and cry and think I to fat to even excerise. :( After a few weeks I said to myself "screw the bike, this isn't going to stop me". So I joined a gym! and I love it.! :)

vtirishchk
04-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi all,I am new here too.
I had a few last straws.
1. Was not being able to buckle up in an airplane and I used a sweater to cover up the fact. During landing I braced myself,but I was very afraid I would leave my seat.
2.My husband is 12 years younger and I want to live a long,happy life with him.
3.I also had some issues in the restroom.
I made a deal with myself in mid-January that I need to lose 100 pounds.That will only get me to 240,but I am much more comfortable there.If I do not succeed,I will have weight loss surgery.I have already lost 48 pounds and I am determined to do this.I watch my carbs throughout the week and allow myself two meals on the weekends that have carbs if I want them.

goingglamour
04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Hey. this forum goes real quiet a lot don't it!
I recently had a few things that made me realise how bad i have got!
1. I was playing the just dance game on the Wii and my sister recorded me :( That wasn't pretty..made me cry a bit! That was terrible!
2. I run out of breath just getting up the stairs now!
3. I can barely fit in my tub anymore :( I love having a nice soak but i couldnt stay in there for more than 10 minutes! It just hurt too much!
4. My mother telling me how all my clothes look too small and that i need to do something about my weight!

im glad for having somewhere i could vent all this! I am sure there are many other things i could write here that would be reasons for me wanting to lose weight but these are some recent ones that really got me thinking!

xxx

chaitea
04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi, I am sort of new here. I signed up a while ago, but didn't really post much.
When I realized that I can't hide forever. People want to see me. People want to take pictures of me. I wish I could just hide away, but I can't. Not long ago, I thought I saw someone who I used to know, an old friend, and I didn't look up. I was too ashamed to say hello. :(
Can't live like that forever... (I am too hard on myself even when I am only five pounds over my ideal weight. Which has more to do with my brain than my size) I just want to be really healthy.

Resolute
04-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi, I am sort of new here. I signed up a while ago, but didn't really post much.
When I realized that I can't hide forever. People want to see me. People want to take pictures of me. I wish I could just hide away, but I can't. Not long ago, I thought I saw someone who I used to know, an old friend, and I didn't look up. I was too ashamed to say hello. :(
Can't live like that forever... (I am too hard on myself even when I am only five pounds over my ideal weight. Which has more to do with my brain than my size) I just want to be really healthy.

I hear you and understand completely, i still struggle when i meet old acquaintances, i'm not nearly as ashamed of myself as i used to be but the feelings persist and linger, i know no matter how hard i try or how well i succeed it will never be enough, this realization is both liberating and oppressing at the same time.

I've been told a lot lately how i always beat myself up, sell myself short, am too hard on myself, it's guelling work to change mentally, between focusing all my inner strength at a single point (goal) it's left my psyche exposed so to speak, my emotions are barely contained just below the surface, things i used to figuratively bury come to the surface and i am left dealing with the fallout, usually results in waves of depression or oddly euphoric (joyfull) feelings every once in a blue moon, yes i've been at this a long time now.

Some days it's all i can do to remain on plan and not totally break, i refuse to budge on my change though, even if i go off the deep end it will ( need/must )remain my lone anchor. You're not alone in dealing with inner turmoil. :hug:

Riestrella
04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
When I looked around me and realised I was the fat one in my group of friends.

Going clothes shopping and having to get the next size up, and again, and again.

Having a thin boyfriend who's so active and in shape, as well as his family. Visiting them and feeling like the odd one out is awful.

Not sucking in my stomach, looking in the mirror and realising I have a fat stomach.

Calculating my BMI and working out that I was Obese.

Not feeling happy about the way I look. Ever.

It all had to change!

rockbanjo
05-17-2011, 05:01 PM
1. Hitting the 200lb mark(something I told myself would NEVER happen)
2. Horrid stretch marks on my hips
3. My boyfriend saying my tattoo looks weird now because of the stretch marks
4. Not being comfortable in anything but sweatpants
5. I don't fit in my AE jeans and I miss them
6. Being winded from easy things(I used to be overweight but still very very very fit, a lot changed since I went to college...)

MiZTaCCen
05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Because I was fat, angry and bitter at the world. I was disgusted with myself and when I went back home I was pretty much told how fat I was. I had enough of it and I sure as **** didn't need any fat bashing comments. I say losing weight has helped me out alot, I'm not long fat (maybe a little chubby some day but mostly skinny), hardly ever angry I feel like I got this whole second chance at life to do everything right even though I had nothing life threatening. The compliments feel great!

Esofia
05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
It wasn't a last straw for me, it was something that made me feel that losing weight might be a possibility at last. I've been severely disabled for years, I rarely make it out of the house and have to spend a lot of time in bed. My medical condition is made worse by all exertion (ME/CFIDS), it's difficult to stick to a set routine when my energy fluctuates so much, and I was starving hungry all the time.

Then my doctors put me on low-dose amitriptyline for pain. It hasn't done anything for pain yet, but it immediately reduced my appetite considerably. It also caused stomach cramps, but they put me on Buscopan for that - and I've learned to be careful to take it with meals, because if I take it before and then get side-tracked for half an hour before I actually eat, it causes nausea. Anyway, the meds are more or less under control. After a week or so of not being particularly hungry, I decided to take the opportunity to try to lose some weight. Being less hungry made it fairly easy at that point, so I got myself all organised, started thinking about how I should be improving things (snacking after naps was a daft one - the hunger I get when I wake up passes fairly soon), joined FitDay after a week and discovered that calorie counting is actually fun rather than miserable, bought scales after a month once I could see the difference and feel my clothes getting a bit looser. I'm glad I waited for that, though. I've had them for three days, and my weight stayed the same for two and then went up an entirely insignificant 0.2lb. Thankfully I feel secure enough in what I'm doing not to be bothered by that; a month ago it would have stressed me out.

I don't know if the lowered appetite will last (been rather hungrier the last couple of days), but I feel so much more in control now that even if it doesn't, I think I've got myself organised and into much better habits and am determined to see this through. I feel much happier doing this than I'd expected. For starters, indigestion caused by eating too late, eating too much and/or eating in bed (which I need to do through illness sometimes, and then it somehow turned into a habit) is gone! And weirdly, I have a bit more energy!

Sunshine87
05-21-2011, 06:48 PM
I have always said that I did not want to date because I was in school and I never wanted a guy to hold me back from getting my degree (which is partially a lie). I am almost done with my master's degree and I have never been asked out on a date. I know that am pretty but I am tall and currently 207lbs. I want to date and feel great about myself. This is one of several reasons however, it is the most significant at this time in my life.

Peacock Princess
05-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Suddenly finding that the only size 18 trousers (UK size 18, not USA!) that fit are my stretchy jeans and lycra leggings. I have very high BP as well and arthritis so it does not help being overweight! My side view scares me. How many chins does one person need??? My stomach is disgusting. I hate when any high waist knickers roll underneath. Ugh.

Is this enough reasons??:(

ArsenicAlyss
05-23-2011, 05:08 PM
1) Having two close relatives die of heart- and weight-related diseases or complications in the past year. Genetics are not on my side, sadly.

2) Realizing that everything in my life -- my job, my relationship, my hobbies, my family -- is going well except for my health. I'm not ill per se, but my general energy level is low and I don't sleep well.

3) Always being included in the "big girl" group by my roller derby coach when we're discussing strategy. I'm only 5'2". I should not be playing with the 6-foot Amazons.

4) Never going shopping with friends anymore because I have to buy most of my clothes from plus size young women's stores like Avenue and Torrid.

5) Realizing that I have trained myself to avoid mirrors because I hate what I see so much.

miss ann thrope
05-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Being tired of missing out on so many things and hiding myself away, wasting my life.
My ex-boyfriend is still a good friend and lives quite far away from me, and when we met up recently I wasn't able to get my seat belt done up in his car. We moved the seat, he was pulling on the belt and it just wouldn't fit, and I wanted to die, I felt so humiliated. That same day we had to go up 6 big flights of stairs (?!) where we were staying and I had to keep stopping because I couldn't breathe. He was trying to be nice and wait for me but I wanted him to carry on without me and not see me like that. It was too much humiliation for one day. He now has a new girlfriend, (who is thin and very outgoing), and I felt too disgusted and ashamed of myself to see her.
I either shut myself away at home, or I make myself go out and do things and there is always something to make me wish I hadn't gone, like someone shouting something at me or that I find myself struggling to keep up with friends. This has been the final straw for me. I am done with feeling this way. I want to feel better about myself and be able to hold my head up high, for me.

ryeb
06-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Stepping on a scale and weighing 2lbs less then I did when I was full term pregnant :( I was up to 193! It was bad :(

triptriptrip
06-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I've always been big; but I always had a flat stomach. Now I have this belly that's just limiting me. It's starting to hang over a bit and I just couldn't take it anymore. My profile doesn't look the way it should. The thickening of my neck and then I started noticing a double chin thing developing. My "fat" pants are too small. It's a lot of things. Things that I shouldn't have ignored until it was this bad.

My parents have fought their weight their whole lives. I won't let that be me. I won't be limited by my size.

Michi702
06-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Clothes shopping - wanting all these kinds of clothes from Gap, Old Navy, etc and even though they go up to size XXL or 18 or 20, I can't fit into them. I'm only 22 and most plus size stores have clothes appropriate for women in their thirties or older, and Torrid, the ONE store that 'cater's to girls my age has poor quality and awful options lately. I'm tired of having 4 stores to pick from and not wanting clothes from any of them.

Thinking about the future - my boyfriend started gaining weight once we started dating and it hurts to feel like it was me that brought it on. Along with those goes with not wanting to be a fat bride. I watch a lot of shows like Say Yes to the Dress, and the selection of plus size gowns is really really limited. I don't want to look at pictures of my wedding years down the road with the same regret that I have when looking at my high school and college graduation pictures now.

Those were the big two. There are more lesser reasons that are like icing on the cake. I also like the feeling of empowerment - being fat for as long as I can remember, I like not letting my body and my fat control me anymore!

lagorditadecolorado
06-21-2011, 12:39 AM
For me it was mostly hitting 244 (my current weight, I'm just getting started on this journey). When I looked at the scale and realized that I would very soon weigh 250 pounds, it became very real how overweight, well actually obese I had become. I couldn't get by just not looking at my full body in the mirror anymore. I took a picture of myself just standing there and saw myself, as I really was. And I couldn't believe it. And I realized I had to change what I had become. That the few seconds of supposed joy I feel when eating this or drinking that are not worth looking or feeling like this. And the cravings I've felt have at least for the moment gone. I realize they'll pop in from time to time, but I know that I'm in this for the long haul and that I'm done with abusing my body and myself this way. I know I'm going to slip up and I know some days I'll struggle. But I will not give up.

Jesterlove17
06-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Realizing that the person in those pictures my doucheface friends like to tag all the time on Facebook was me. FAT!!!!
^^This. The last pics that have been posted of me look good cause I'm thinner a little and can wear great makeup now, but I still won't turn off privacy cause you can see all my old ugly fat photos. No more of that ****!

dreadfullydivine
06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I also have had more than one last straw. I have had several that all of you had mentioned about but one of the big ones that hit home was the fact that it looks like I have back boobs. I am also tired of finding the cute outfit that you love and adore and it doesn't come in your size or if it does it costs extra. I didn't recognize myself in the photos since I never saw myself as "that big" and then looking down to see a fat shadow. NEVER AGAIN.

GuardDawg
06-23-2011, 04:40 AM
going shopping with the non fat friends. and they complain that theyre fat. and nothing fits them. and blah blah. one of my friends is only 130-135 and complains alllllll the time about being fat.

im on colorguard at my university. which involves lycra uniforms. we just bought new ones and i helped pick them out so they are flubb friendly but they are still sleeveles on one side. which brings on the thing i hate most about myself. the elbow fat overhang. when i first realized how fat my upper arms were i cried. i have back fat. i cant find a bra that can hide or hold it on. shirts and cute tops look ok from the front, its just those extra rolls in the back.

and the biggest thing, that just happened today actually, was seeing a picture of the girl my ex boyfriends (who i am still completley in love with) is sleeping with and seeing how much of a size difference we are. im still crying. (that and like i saidim still in love with him. thats a whole nother story :( )

being completley depressed and bored outta my mind i had two options. sit around and be miserable and sleep all day (which i had been doing) or get up and do something about it. walking is a start. i zumba too but i get so winded and have side cramps but im determined to get through a class nonstop)

that and i used to be a 12/14 in AE and could get my jeans in the store. now i have to order an 18 offline b/c they dont carry anything bigger than a 14 in my area stores.and now the 18s are getting tight....:(

raebeaR
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Mine are:

The Facebook thing, a little different than everyone else's... there are NO photos of me on FB as fat, because I don't let anyone take photos these days. But seeing how I looked as a slender person for years and years made me realize how ashamed I am of the weight gain. I looked great, and I'd like to look that way again.

My boyfriend left a few months ago. It wasn't because of my weight but because of deep, intrinsic philosophical differences between us that could not be overcome. Though we had discussed these differences at length during our courtship and he had assured me they would not present a problem for him, it seems he was wrong. I miss him very much. I'm trying to move on, and it occurred to me that the ONLY thing holding me back was my weight. And I thought, WHY am I not doing something about the one thing that keeps me from taking on life as I once did? I realized that my weight was a consideration in nearly everything I did -- or didn't do. That really was the last straw.

SpangleMagnet
06-25-2011, 05:54 PM
The fact that it's my last year of University here in Lancaster, and I'm constantly de-tagging myself on Facebook and refusing to have pictures taken with the friends that I'm going to miss so badly because I can't bare to look at pictures of myself. I don't think I'm even going to be able to bring myself to get a photo taken at graduation.

IsabellaOlivia
06-26-2011, 02:10 PM
My moment was during a night out with friends. It was Christmas time, and I was wasted drunk. Because of a snow storm ( 2 cm England style) no cabs were operating. We had to walk back to our place. It was a 2 hour walk. I was so exhausted from it. I could barely breathe and I was walking. I'm a freaking Uni student, I'm too old to not be able to walk. All my friends were able to walk properly and didn't need breaks. I felt that burning feeling at my sides from simply walking. It was mortifying. I just knew this was no way to live. I couldn't operate like this anymore.

Spooky
06-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't think I had a single moment. My weight has always been a problem. In fact everything in my life is ace right now except for that and it has been that way for awhile. I am college educated, a homeowner, married to the woman of my dreams and the only thing that isn't awesome is my weight.

This year I had two uncles who are both diabetics go on dialysis. And I started working as an RN in a dialysis center and it was really eye opening and I finally made the connection between poor self-care, morbid obesity, diabetes, and kidney failure. I do not want to be in that situation. Ever.

So this time it is motivated by health and not vanity and maybe that is the difference.

McMurphy
06-26-2011, 10:35 PM
It really is in the little things. Like the fact that I have to extend my jeans waistband with an elastic because some little sadist fashionista jean maker decided to build a size 16 like it's a 13...grr.

Or that I'm 16 with high blood pressure and walking up a flight of stairs is harder than it should be.

Or that I too discovered that I have side boobs!

Or that I've got numerous stretch marks on my belly that literally appeared overnight..not kidding.

Or that, most importantly, I need to get healthy now instead of later, before I get older and it becomes tons harder.

sarrahm
06-27-2011, 10:42 AM
My final point was meeting someone I really like online and realizing I am afraid to meet them in person due to my weight.

RowanM
06-29-2011, 01:04 PM
For me it was when my (now ex-) husband asked me for a divorce. I realized I was about to be alone and I didn't want to face that combined with being fat.

misski
06-30-2011, 07:49 PM
For me, it was seeing everybody else enjoying life when all I could do was dream of being somebody completely different than myself. I'm not the type of obese person who just became obese through time. I literally was always obese. I never experience anything a normal girl experience. I have an imaginary 'perfect' version of myself that I always dream about. I'm so sick of dreaming... I want to live!

And than seeing my brother (who I really don't like due to something completely off-topic) losing 40lbs and being thinner than I am and my cousin (who I also don't like) being thin himself... I just couldn't take it anymore.

I also realized that I have type 2 diabetes. I've been diabetic for a loooonng time... Probably before I was in 2nd grade (I was obese then too). I just didn't realize it because I was too busy dreaming! Because of my obesity, I have a lot of ugly side effects. One of them is acanthosis nigrican.

Nebuchadnezzar
07-05-2011, 08:44 AM
So many things.

-Being 'outed' as fat online. You know, tagged in FB pictures and all that crap. I hate it. I look like an inhuman lardbased gorgon in photographs.

-Got on the scale one day and it said 328. I promised myself for a long time I would never go above 300. And I did without knowing it somehow. Kicked me right in the butt.

-I didn't have a neck. I wanted a neck very suddenly.

-Hearing my knees crackle, being in pain going up and down stairs, numbness in my thighs when standing too long, fatigue. It all added up one day. I felt a million years old.

-Discovering Sparkpeople.com

This picture: http://i.imgur.com/bktXR.jpg "Oh holy crap, I'm fat and there's a bright flash. HURRY, LOOK FATTER AND BRAIN DAMAGED"

iamworthit
07-05-2011, 08:28 PM
There are a few " straws " for me:

1. My parents treat my meth-addict sister better than me because they can't see what she is smoking or injecting but they see me stuffing food in my mouth. They compare me to her because she's thin - of course she's thin.. she's been on crack/meth and whatever drugs for over 20 years. Being called to my parent's room to just hear them say... " hello whale".
It seems like an issue for younger people but I have to deal with it at 38 years old.

2. Hard to admit but I have isolated myself from all my friends, except online ones because they can't see me. My best friend since kindergarten was always fat like me... but she could afford bariatric surgery. In a few months she lost over 100lbs and did the skin surgery. Life really did change for her. She was so happy. She was still the same friend to be but I chose to stay away. I lost my security blanket. It was fine if we were both fat but I could not bear the thought of being the only fat one in our peer group.

3. When I felt that fatness had taken over my life and living within these walls of my condominium hiding from everyone because I feel like I am being judged is not how I was meant to live my life. I always masked the pain of being insecure by being materialistic : I always had the new phone/tech stuff... always had the new designer bag... always wore expensive watches and jewelry but... it doesn't mean anything really when I don't feel comfortable with myself, when I start hating myself for what I have become.

4. I met and fell in love with a man who accepts me for who I am. Who sees me with his heart and not just his eyes. We want to get married and have a family. There is nothing I want more than to have a child with him.
I need to be healthy for that. I can't get pregnant because my obesity has caused me to have hormonal imbalance. I am currently under medication for it but my doctor says... lose weight then we can talk about pregnancy.

TechnicolourTeacup
07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
The fact that some of my favourite clothes don't fit anymore.

Having to find bigger sizes in shops that I used to.

Dreading seeing pictures of myself from nights out :(

I can't wait to be back to my old size. It'll be like Christmas with all the clothes I can wear again! :-p

mhill0823
07-16-2011, 10:59 AM
There were several straws for me.
The first was when my mom got diagnosed with heart failre and had surgery at 41. She was also diagnosed with diabetes all at the same time. None of which had to do with her weight out was because she was diabetic for about 3 years and it attacked her heart:(. Realizing that on top of my daddy dying when I was 11 from a heart attack made me realize that I was not given good odds and if I didn't get my health better NOW that I was next.

Next was stepping on the scale for the first time in a year and realizing I was 300 pounds. I had developed back fat beyond belief I was out of shape. it was like seeing myself for the first time and it made me sick.

So, I decided to stop talking and do something about it!!!

philana
07-16-2011, 03:55 PM
It was a cumulation of things for me;

- Realizing I'm almost 26, that's almost 30... and after 30 there just isnt a way back to health as easily anymore (sure, it's not such a big disaster - but it felt like now would be the best time if ever)
- Actually feeling the fat on my thighs get icky in the heat
- The scale moving beyond the 70KG which has been my max ever
- Starting to turn into the self-concious almost social anxious girl that I was when I was 18 again... that freaked me out massively! I came such a long way from there - and now my weight was making me all insecure all over again.
- Noticing people wouldn't tell me I was being silly when I make the umpteenth remark about my big butt.

So yeh, it all came together a month before my 26th birthday.

green chick
07-17-2011, 02:51 AM
The "big moment" or "eye-opening moment" for me was when I went up another size. I'd stayed a certain size for several years, and I finally now just passed that size. I can't allows myself to gain anymore weight and more than anything I need to lose quite a bit.

kurisitaru
07-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Photo's. Similar to everyone else on here. Seeing them on people's face book and seeing my face and butt compared to my friends in photos. The big one though, suddenly not having any pants because NONE of the ones you own will zip anymore. That morning of discovery was horrid... and I refused to go shopping for new pants in a bigger size. I just threw on a pair and wore an extra baggy shirt from an ex boyfriend and didn't button them. Embarrassing day. No one noticed, but I felt like the world knew.

I can now fit back into most my jeans...

Fatty McButterpants
07-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Backing out of a planned trip because I'd have to walk so far and it was so hot and I was so fat and going to be sooo sweaty and tired and dragging. That shamed me.

Seeing pictures of me from my 10 year class reunion (thankfully they weren't tagged for the world to see!). I really didn't know I looked like that.

Not wanting to move around or play with my littles because I'm so large.

Having 3 pairs of pants to wear.

Edging closer and closer to 200 pounds.

Etc, etc, etc.

I'm just miserable and I'm tired of it!

InsideMe
07-18-2011, 09:10 AM
There were several things, and it spanned over a few years, it wasn't just a moment for me. I believe I was always unhappy with my weight and how I looked but tried so desperately to dress "normally" and somewhat fahionably cause I LOVE clothes and feeling sexy in them. Plus I was depressed while in my marriage. Once I came out of the marriage I started to lose weight as I started to eat at home more and choose healthier choices. I didn't do it to lose weight I did it cause I was going through court and couldn't afford to go out! Once that was done I realized I had lost about 25lbs withouth any exercise just eating habit so I figured I could just keep doing that. Which didn't work, I just plateaued. So I kept trying to lose with diet and started slim fast, but no nothing budged. I knew I had to do exercise.......it's what I have been putting off. Being a single mother of 2 and a career woman, it's HARD, but I used that as my excuse. So I started off slow. I don't know what triggered me, but I knew for a good 2 months the scale wasn't moving while I was doing slim fast. I was getting ticked so I started off low impact, took breaks for water and just kept going. I forgot how good exercise felt! I really did! I am realizing that I need to find my balance between food, exercise and taking care of me. Including going to bed at decent time. So it's been a gradual change for me, not just 1 moment when I said "that's it, I'm doing it" I tried everything else and saw no results so by process of elimination I'm here. LOL

beatnikmama721
07-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Well like a lot of you here, there's been a few "straws".....

1. My husband weighing at least 60 lbs less than me, and yes you read that right.....at LEAST 60 lbs LESS than me....."Here comes the bride,all fat and wide. Here comes the groom an as skinny as a broom."
2.I weigh more now then I did when I gave birth to my last child.....that and I still look pregnant....I had her almost 3 years ago.
3.Realizing that over time that slowly I own no clothes, ironically I wear my skinny a** husbands oversized tshirts...they don't reflect who I am as a person at all. And I've lost some part of my identity by not being able express myself through wearing my own **** clothing!
4.I don't feel feminine anymore. That makes me so sad.I used to love to do my makeup and hair.....now I just don't see the point. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.
5.I don't feel sexy....at all. My poor husband can't understand.
6. I'm ashamed of myself , sincerely ashamed. I have so many qualities I'm proud of but the shame hides them all.

PoetryInMotion
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Truthfully it was vanity at first. I have really nice clothes and they no longer fit:o

Then when I went for my work physical I was heavier then I had EVER been (not including pregnancies) I was just disgusted with what I had done to myself.

So I'm taking my time and going to get healthy and get back in my clothes:carrot:

MidlifeCrisisGirl
07-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Yes, yes and yes.

1. I don't own a full length mirror. My 20 year old daughter has one on the back of her bedroom door, but I rarely venture in to see what I look like. Just have the bathroom mirror for washing my face/contacts/brushing & flossing. I have always had large breasts so if I can't see anything "sticking out" past them, I tend to delude myself that I'm not as big as I am. Facebook has been a bit of a slap in the face. I do detag the especially heinous ones.

2. Realizing how big my upper arms are. And oh me, oh my, the back fat.

3. I just got home two weeks ago from a family reunion with 79 other family members, a cousin's husband, my sister and I were the only heavy people there.

4. It really sank in that I weigh 30 pounds MORE than I did when I gave birth (I weighed 154 at delivery for all three kids).

5. I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines waiting for life to "happen."

I am super lucky that I have been married to the best guy ever, who has always told me I'm beautiful, no matter what size I was/am. But I don't feel pretty anymore. It's time to get the pretty back!

MsThickMiddle
07-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Yes, yes and yes.

1. I don't own a full length mirror. My 20 year old daughter has one on the back of her bedroom door, but I rarely venture in to see what I look like. Just have the bathroom mirror for washing my face/contacts/brushing & flossing. I have always had large breasts so if I can't see anything "sticking out" past them, I tend to delude myself that I'm not as big as I am. Facebook has been a bit of a slap in the face. I do detag the especially heinous ones.

2. Realizing how big my upper arms are. And oh me, oh my, the back fat.

3. I just got home two weeks ago from a family reunion with 79 other family members, a cousin's husband, my sister and I were the only heavy people there.

4. It really sank in that I weigh 30 pounds MORE than I did when I gave birth (I weighed 154 at delivery for all three kids).

5. I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines waiting for life to "happen."

I am super lucky that I have been married to the best guy ever, who has always told me I'm beautiful, no matter what size I was/am. But I don't feel pretty anymore. It's time to get the pretty back!

My hubby is a gorgeous man (a little extra weight but serious eye candy) and thank you Jesus he loves me despite my size. I barely weight less than he does. I will NOT tell him how much I weigh. The shame of it is huge! I'm the smallest woman in my family on both sides which scares me!!! I'm 190 lbs (which no one believes I guess I have more muscle than fat to that I say WHATEV!) 6 lbs less than when I delived #4 18 months ago. It took me a YEAR to lose 6 pounds. I tried every day, diet being active all to lose 6 lbs. (I blame my IUD) So, I gave up, weight stayed the same but my feelings never got better.

My Moment: I have two special needs children and they dont get why Mommys belly is big and the babys out and walking! :sorry: I know they dont get it or mean it, what they're saying is really "Mommy why are you fat and shouldnt be". But ****it IT HURTS!

littleblacklies
07-22-2011, 04:58 AM
Lots of things led me to hate the way I look, and want to be thinner.

1. I realized nobody complimented me since I got married 4 years ago. (I gained about 40 lbs after that, and I was on a curvier side of "avg" before) When I was younger, I had a very striking look; Not to say I was the most gorgeous or even very photogenic, but people stared and had something nice to say wherever I went so much that I was used to it. Now, I am a ginger hiding inside a fat suit, looking like every other person that graces walmartpeople.com lol. When people see old photos of me they go WOW YOU DON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE THAT, YOU'RE SO PRETTY IN THIS PIC. Ouch.

2. I have an aunt who looks like humpty dumpty. Literally, round and short, so egg shaped. Love her to death, but she has bug eyes a la rodney dangerfield, hair so thin you can see her scalp clear as day, and when she sits down, less than two inches of her upper leg (to knee) is visible because her belly covers the rest. Two of her friends were recently teasing her that she looked like the ice age squirrel, scrat, good naturedly though. Their preschool aged child looked at them disapproving and said "That's not very nice. It's true, but not nice."

Every time her friends would meet me, they would lose it over how much we looked alike. Strangers who meet us together assume I am her daughter and when their assumption is proven wrong, they rave about how we look so much alike. REALLY PEOPLE???? If you see a young woman who is a dead ringer for Steve Buscemi, do not tell her that for the love of god. It is not a compliment, it is heartbreaking.

3. I have a hump. It's like my body ran out of fat storage and just had to give me an extra curve somewhere. I have what amounts to a breast, this little pad of fat, where my spin begins to curve atop my shoulder blades. I could probably sit a drink on it and move through a crowd with little or no spillage. Sexy.

I've lost... lessee... 215 to 192... but it's been a very slow process. Back again for another round (: One thing is for sure though, without being so large now, I'd have grown up so stuck up and full of myself. Now I don't take myself so seriously and it's done me a world of good. Laugh or you'll cry, right?

tif8J
07-22-2011, 05:22 AM
My moment was when I was making out with a guy.
I took my shirt off, andhe were kissing and all that stuff.
He asked me something I don't remember.
I asked him, "Do you think I am pretty?"
His answer was, "Yeah, I like heavyset chicks."
Never. Never again will I make out with a guy and have him tell me that.
I don't think I can make out with guys until I lose weight.
The whole time I will be thinking, 'Hmm..Does HE also think I am heavyset?'
That is such an ugly word.

Ramra
07-23-2011, 05:45 AM
I was really unhappy with my weight, but I let it be until I saw the doctor for a blood test, and he told me I was 'pre-diabetic'. I lost weight and became more comfortable with myself, until an ex buddy of mine decided he'd call me a fat ho, because I didn't return his affection. I became aware of my weight again. Not long after, I started living with my bf, and I've noticed my eating habbits have become terrible. So I'm striving to eat healthier and lose another 25lbs.

I asked him, "Do you think I am pretty?"
His answer was, "Yeah, I like heavyset chicks."I know what that's like. I had an ex who used to tell me how much he loved "big curvy girls", and even though he was trying to make me feel better about myself, I felt terrible every time he said it.

DezziePS
07-26-2011, 05:56 PM
You guys...I just read through this whole thread. I laughed, I cried, but mostly, I identified.

I have been bouncing back and forth for years, lately it's been mostly forth.

I went to a doctor appointment and realized I had gained 20 lbs in 6 months and was now heavier than I have ever been before.

I realized that I think about how fat I am CONSTANTLY- it affects me in EVERY way- what I wear, what I am willing to go out and do, how I interact with people, how I feel, what I think about...It would literally take me LESS effort to just DO something about it than to let it control my life...and I wonder what amazing things I can accomplish with this weight not constantly...well...weighing on me!

Also, the thing that finally hit me last night (like a ton of bricks) is that this isn't just for me. My husband has gained 70 lbs since we got married and he is dangerously heavy. Last night he looked at me and said, "I am going to have a heart attack soon. I just can feel it." It made me hysterical. We're not even 30 yet. I am not going to let something as dumb as food and laziness kill my soulmate or shorten the time we have together. We have to do this now, we have to do this together, and we have to do this for real.

MsThickMiddle
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
You guys...I just read through this whole thread. I laughed, I cried, but mostly, I identified.

I went to a doctor appointment and realized I had gained 20 lbs in 6 months and was now heavier than I have ever been before.

I realized that I think about how fat I am CONSTANTLY- it affects me in EVERY way- what I wear, what I am willing to go out and do, how I interact with people, how I feel, what I think about...It would literally take me LESS effort to just DO something about it than to let it control my life...and I wonder what amazing things I can accomplish with this weight not constantly...well...weighing on me!

Also, the thing that finally hit me last night (like a ton of bricks) is that this isn't just for me. My husband has gained 70 lbs since we got married and he is dangerously heavy. Last night he looked at me and said, "I am going to have a heart attack soon. I just can feel it." It made me hysterical. We're not even 30 yet. I am not going to let something as dumb as food and laziness kill my soulmate or shorten the time we have together. We have to do this now, we have to do this together, and we have to do this for real.

:congrat: Bless you both! I hope he listens to his body. You can both be great support to each other.

WannaBeLoserAgain
07-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Last straw this time........

I was getting too close to the 200# mark and I was tired of seeing all the excess rolls around my stomach area....and I am tired of hurting when I go up and down my front door steps. There are only 3 steps!

Lucky72
07-29-2011, 02:57 AM
I had a couple of moments although I don't know if I would call them last straws. I have friends who love to post pictures on facebook. I cannot believe the unflattering pictures that are up there of me. It's gotten to the point that if someone pulls a camera out at a social event I will a) stick my hand up in front of myself - like don't take the picture or b) I will say unequivocally "do NOT put my picture on facebook!" I feel so awful whenever I look at them.

Also I needed new pants and it took me an entire day to find one pair that fit me ( I refused to go above a size 18). I would love to shop in stores that cater to smaller sizes not just "specialty" shops.

Singe
07-31-2011, 04:13 AM
So many things I identify with in here!

In addition:

*Not really feeling excited and happy at the idea of attending a college friend's wedding

*Avoiding making dr. appointments because I KNOW

*Having the 40th birthday happen this year and reflecting on things I'd like to do: travel is a stressful idea and once upon a time I loved it

*Putting off a tattoo design getting inked because I didn't want to deal with it....now I'm hoping to get it done as a memento of success and valuing myself <3

:)

GuardDawg
07-31-2011, 06:49 AM
It's gotten to the point that if someone pulls a camera out at a social event I will a) stick my hand up in front of myself - like don't take the picture or b) I will say unequivocally "do NOT put my picture on facebook!" I feel so awful whenever I look at them.

Also I needed new pants and it took me an entire day to find one pair that fit me ( I refused to go above a size 18). I would love to shop in stores that cater to smaller sizes not just "specialty" shops.

im the same way. i always untag myself and tell them if they post pics of me they die. that and i can only get jeans from AE online because they dont carry that size in the stores (18) i used to be a 14 in AE jeans. i could actually go to the store and have choices. now its whatevers on sale online :/

Gabe
08-17-2011, 03:45 PM
I went to the eye doctor for a new prescription. No matter what she did, she couldn't get my left eye to 20/20. My first thought upon this wasn't worry about what it could be, nor was it that the doctor didn't know what she was doing; it was, "oh my God, I've given myself diabetes and messed up my eyes!"

Yeah. That was my thought at age 27. I realized that was no way to live.

sicktwistedkutie
08-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Probobly standing in the middle of CVS and an old man told me " Your too fat to be standing there" Ohh and a 7 year old kid telling me "You know if you went on a diet you wouldnt be so fat"

puneri
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Well, ed there I always tried different diets.But, being Indian my diet was carbs carbs and more carbs. I stopped eating sweets years before. My food kept on becoming less and less nothing was working. I stopped eating rice but still eating chappaties.
Finally came to USA and joined a gym had a personal trainer.She noticed I was not having proteins. Then I started reading about it.
I thought 17 DAy Diet is good.and started following and weight started dropping.

matts0pretty0gfriend
08-22-2011, 06:53 AM
my moment was only very recently. And very scary. Im 19, half way through university in Australia. And I currently weigh around 83 kg ( 182.6 lbs), but only a few weeks ago weighed in at 87kg (191.4 lbs)... I'm a very active person and always have been. I've played Soccer at pretty high levels but my weight has always let me down. The thing is that my active nature was almost like a smoke screen to my diet.A guy friend recently asked how much i weighed because he didn't realise i had gained weight. in fact the only person who saw it was my mother.i must have gained about 15kg since i finished school which was only two years ago. When i told my friend that he just gaped and said "crap" because he had nothing else to say. All my friends are either skinny soccer players or dancers. It would be nice to borrow or lend my friends clothes. The second straw was not being able to find jeans in the normal sizes in Kmart, i teared up and left without them, that stung like nothing else. Im already back into my skinny jeans:) and am determined to wear my formal dress again from year 9 (9th grade)!

MsRatFink
08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Im so glad this thread was started because I now know I'm not alone with what's physically going on and what I was becoming incapable of doing. I have a few finals...

* Not being able to clean myself in the restroom and shower without it being a fight and struggle and losing my breath.

* Having trouble breathing because my stomach is pushing against me and making everything else push up into my neck and feeling like I'm suffocating.

* Having anxiety attacks when I have to get dressed in the morning because I am tired of trying to find something descent to wear out of my own closet because I have to make sure that it covers my stomach, isn't too tight, etc.

I could go on for days but those are my top three. I'm just plum wore out from being this size and feeling like I have a hangover every morning when I wake up (p.s. I don't drink) because I'm tired and down and don't want to do anything.

hani
09-02-2011, 05:16 AM
The last straw for me was outgrowing all of my clothes. I don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe to accommodate my new size. I want to feel good about going out in public again not wearing my husband's t-shirts and my old yoga or maternity pants (my oldest is 6 years old I don't know why I still even have them except that they were cute and kindof expensive :dizzy:).

I am motivated to finally do this because if I am just not going to spend a whole lot of money on new clothes when I have a whole wardrobe I love in my closet waiting for me. I refuse.

I haven't weighed myself yet (I just gained this weight the last 6 or 8 months) but I am guessing it's about 15 pounds I need to lose. It's not a big number, but it really makes a huge difference on my small frame. i can't even pull some of my pants up over my hips, let alone even pretend to button them. I need to nip this thing now.

I wasn't working for about 6 months, depressed about that, drinking lots of booze. Then I got a job working nights. I have never worked nights before. I was pretty much eating around the clock until I figured out how to handle the routine. So here I am.

Also this is my first post!

Maile
09-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi HANNI,
I hear you about not buying a whole new set of clothes. I had clothes waiting for me in the closet also! I am glad you got a job. Hope you figure out the night routine and are successful.

Maile
09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I denied and ignored my weight gain for 3-4 years. I also skipped going to a doctor for the same reason. When I finally went to the dr, I found I was pre-diabetes. This scared me as it runs in my family. This was my turning point.
I also like some others here, learned that eating low carb is the best way for me to lose weight.
I have also experienced many of the uncomfortable moments..like being scared that I could not fasten my seat belt..or having someone tactfully suggest a new diet plan..or hating to fly to Hawaii to see my family because I had gained weight.

geauxgirl
09-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Wow, you are absolutely right. I'm also freaking out about my weight and my husbands. He's managed to lose about 40 pounds and on the road to being much healther but now it's my turn. I want us both to live long, happy and HEALTHY lives together!

im the same way. i always untag myself and tell them if they post pics of me they die. that and i can only get jeans from AE online because they dont carry that size in the stores (18) i used to be a 14 in AE jeans. i could actually go to the store and have choices. now its whatevers on sale online :/

Oh my goodness I do this too. I was always tiny all throughout school so most of the people who I am in contact with on facebook is old classmates. I'm horrified to know what they must think.

My final "straw" has been several things.. pictures on facebook, nothing fitting properly (and having to only buy clothes in Lane Bryant), but the one that really made me sit up and say waitaminute. I've got to do something is the fact that last week I went to New Orleans with some relatives that came into town. They wanted to see and do alot and I really felt I was holding them back.

Aoidela
09-08-2011, 03:50 AM
My straw, was going to put on a pair of size 18 jeans. I went to put them on and suddenly the button didn't close all the way. I sucked in the tummy, pulled the button closed, zipped, exhaled, turned and saw myself in the mirror... and I looked like a walking baked good. Muffins anyone? Oh it was horrid. I just stood there for a few minutes and cried. PCOS has given me that sort of awkward pregnant apple shape.. so I guess you could say I was an apple cinnamon muffin :( Then I looked in my closet and realized that not only do I not really have much (the ever present weight gain makes me hate clothes shopping more than usual), but that what I do have really doesn't fit right anymore. Too tight in the bust, too tight in the belly, saggy butt pants, back fat..

@ matts0pretty0gfriend: I can definitely sympathize with you on being asked/commented on about my weight. It's not something I readily share but for the longest time I was told I don't look like I "weigh that much".. that much? Bit of a kick in the teeth there.

bingbangboom
09-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Biggest wake up call is going in to the doctor, standing on the scale and it read 200 lbs. I've never even been close to 200lbs. Complete denial. I drove down to my moms house and weighed in on her scale, yep 200lbs. How could I have let myself get to this?? I didn't even break 165 for both full term pregnancies. First time ever had fat bumps on my lower arms and calves. Size 2X tshirt, 14 pants in Womens size. Right then and there I said, "That's it!!! You will lose this weight." Currently at 166lbs, on the Ideal Protein Diet, goal is 130lbs (like I weighed for 18 years). I'm getting there!!

frankie77
09-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Veggie girl...your post gave me a giggle...I too have that same problem with shall we say, personal hygiene so I was so relieved to see someone else had that problem and had the courage to share. I have had many "aha" moments that told me it is time to lose weight. The problem this time is I know I am big, I know i need to lose weight and get healthier but I lack the desire and motivation to do it "AGAIN". I care....but I don't...anyone else feel like that???

DeeDeeHunnie
09-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Mine was when a customer told me when I was due. Apparently I look like I'm about 6 months pregnant... I'm apple shaped and keep all the extra goodness in my midsection. I've never been pregnant, don't have any children. That was when I looked in the mirror and said enough!

WannaBeLoserAgain
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
This time, I had been thinking about changing my eating habits by cutting back. Then dh had surgery and lost lots of weight and he was lighter than me! Usually the weight difference is about 30-40 pounds between my husband and myself...

Then I heard my daughter was losing weight on WW the program I planned on going on and I guess you could say the last straw. I had to lose the weight too!

And....family get together in December....and....I promised myself I would never see the scale over 200# and the weight was getting close.

I had enough reasons, don't ya think? That is enough straws!

SanityNow
09-10-2011, 10:41 AM
When I realized that I had made a promise last Christmas to be 30 pounds lighter this Christmas and saw that I had gotten nowhere with that. I needed to make major big time changes to allow myself to get healthy again. I quit a toxic job and lost 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks. :flow2:Now I see that I have accumulated many unhealthful habits that were an adaptation to the drain of my work. It is not easy to make the changes, which are in themselves simple. There's also the carry-over discouragement of my past efforts. But I can only take one day at a time (as trite as that sounds) and make each day it's own jewel.

tinneranne2
09-12-2011, 06:17 PM
I didn't have just one moment. I've always always ALWAYS felt too fat, at 5'8 and 140lbs (a size 6) I felt like a gelatinous blob in highschool.

I'd sacrifice some small furry animal to magically be that size again. Scratch that, I'd change my eating habits to EARN that size. And that's what I'm doing. I haven't quite reached the "I WILL EXERCISE TO BE THAT SIZE AGAIN" point..but I hope I'm approaching it. Its a mental thing. I'm psyching myself up. I hope.

wishfuiiy
09-20-2011, 04:12 PM
When I realized my greatest fear is the possibility of my mother having to bury me, because of what I shoved into my mouth. That was the last straw for me.

IronKitty
10-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Im not sure if there was a last straw for me and maybe that is why this time is different for me. I am not starting my weight loss journey in frustration or angry, but actually from any already healthy place, with support from my friends and the man in my life. What made me take the final step to focus on losing the weight is when even after making many healthy changes over the past 6 months I was at my heaviest weight and while I generally liked the way I looked when I saw myself in pictures I didn't look like the person I feel like I am.

bk26
10-12-2011, 02:07 AM
I used to live with my mom and my sister - and when I moved in with my boyfriend, I gained 35 lbs. I had always been the 'thin' one when I lived with my mom and sis and once I left .. not only did I gain weight.. they lost it. Both my mom and sister have dropped about 30 lbs each while I have been gaining all of this weight. I recently decided that I have had enough of only being happy for them for their good health.. I want to be happy for myself! I want to be in good health, and so my journey began!

michellearellano
10-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Not any one last straw in particular. I had lost almost 80 lbs in the year previous to getting pregnant. Once I had my daughters I was super overwhelmed with them and gave up taking care of myself. Now I realize its 4 years later and it's really time to take care of me again.

Also we're planning a big move to NYC and I know that I need all the confidence I can muster to make that a successful move and a big part of that is getting my weight down. So now, a few months before the move I'm all in to get back to where I was before I got pregnant. That's not my final goal, but that goal will be enough to give me my confidence back.

hvpooly
10-29-2011, 07:31 AM
When I was too tired to play with my daughter and then I realized that I might not be around to see my children grow up and I keep eating like this.

pizzaloveresq
10-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Can't believe no one has posted this already....

Getting asked when my baby's due! I am NOT pregnant, nor have I ever been.

Being fat sucks, but carrying most of your weight directly on your uterus sucks more.

Other things -
Not being able to ride every roller coaster in the park because my food baby and safety belts are not compatible...there were some men much larger than me that could ride, but they're able to lift that belly to make room for the seat belt. My food baby doesn't move :(

Yearly ski trip with family...last winter my calves were too fat to make skiing an option. I sat in the condo all weekend, and my family was pissed at me for months for "ruining their vacation."

While I can still put on my shoes fairly easily, putting on nylons is now quite the ordeal!

Just starting the weight loss journey again, and the straw this time -- I feel like ****. Tired all day, can barely concentrate at work. This is now about necessity, not vanity.

Raine
11-03-2011, 02:47 PM
My last straw was hitting 200 lbs on the scale. It was scary.. I never thought I'd be at this point.

I've since lost a couple of pounds to bring me down below that at least, reminding me that I don't have to go back up there ever again.

stronger4me
01-15-2012, 12:43 AM
1. Being asked how many children I have and told I look like I have several children.

2. Finally coming to terms with the fact that all of my clothes were not shrinking (and once again allowing my boyfriend to do laundry--since clearly he must've been the one doing it wrong and shrinking my clothes)

3. Seeing a picture of me in a bathing suit at a pool (my arms were massive!)

4. Finally stepping on a scale and realizing I was 10lbs heavier than my heaviest 8 years ago.

ADL
01-16-2012, 12:32 AM
For me it was the prospect of having kids. I know that for so many people the first baby is a downward spiral. I already have to lose 45 lbs. So if I pig out while I am pregnant (many women use pregnancy as an excuse to eat a lot more and knowing myself I would be one of those women) I might even go up another 20 lbs. THEN I hear that many women lose their sex drive after pregnancy and are unhappy with how their body has changed. So not only will I have to lose 65 lbs but I will have no sex drive a changed body and the added pressure of a baby? Sounds like a recipe for gaining more weight. You can see how, unless I pull in the reigns now, having a baby could be a downward spiral. Plus I am young (23) I want to feel sexy and even thought my husband is attacted to me I don't feel comfortable in clothing. And why should I have to go through life feeling constantly uncomfortable and costantly judged?

neon_zephyr
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
For me, it was getting into too many fights with my husband and my sisters about my weight that made me think, "I'm sick of fighting about this. Maybe if I just lose the weight, they will all back off!"

Unfortunately, it's harder to stick with something when you're externally motivated. So, I managed to lose 28 pounds and then the bad habits kicked in and I gained 10 back.

At this point, though, I had weeded out my wardrobe and gotten rid of everything between sizes 14 and 18. I liked getting down to a 10. Now I'm back up to a 12. So, I'm feeling the difference in myself and wanting to get back down to 10 and maybe 8 or 6. I'm pretty short, so a size makes a big difference on me. Seeing the numbers go back up once I weighed myself after a month of tuning out of reality was the reality check I needed to get me back onto the wagon this time, with the right motivation, I hope.

Nadya
01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
I've been trying to lose weight off and on for years but what really kinda pushed me over the edge was seeing just how much I weighed back in September. I'm required to take two PE classes and I decided to do personal training first to get myself into better shape before trying anything group oriented. The first time we met, he took down information about me including my weight and it was 181 at the time. I was so shocked and embarrassed that I was like, "Holy crap, time to put down the junk food..."

lifehouseluver
02-11-2012, 12:23 AM
I gotta say it... one of my big straws this time around was "If Snooki can do it, I can do it!"

I also was a ballet dancer through all of high school. I know i'll never get down to my dancing weight again, but I would like to be toned enough to feel comfortable in my skin. I would LOVE to take ballet classes again simply because I miss it. I havent taken a class in almost 4 years now, and I just really want to get back into it! :)

Anssett
03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Great thread.

The first time it was calculating my BMI and realizing I wasn't "a little heavy" I was "clinically obese". Oops. I was 21.

Now I'm 31 and back actively tracking because I had to buy bigger jeans, again. I know I'm sexy but have a much harder time seeing it when I'm heavy. I deserve to have it in my face all the time no matter what I'm wearing, if I'm being photographed, etc.

Thedollylala
05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Lots of things, breathing hard, goin to busch gardens and having someone help buckle me in, and basically I just want to feel better about who I am, and have my stomach not touch my legs blaaah

xSarabean
05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I really don't know. I have a lot of straws that eventually led to another effort to lose weight. The first was that I noticed I was nearing 300lbs and I told myself I wouldn't go above it. The second was that my grandpa had a stroke, and while his wasn't weight-related, I felt a need to improve my health. Lastly, because I feel like I'm letting my boyfriend down. I've been with him for more than two years, and while he still loves me and finds me sexy (idk why), I feel a need to be thin for him. I know you're not supposed to lose weight for external reasons, but he suffers because of my weight. He tells me they don't, but I know his friends pick on him for having the fat girlfriend. He supports my weight loss efforts, but he told me he doesn't want me to be a stick. So I'm going to aim for 170 pounds. It's a healthy weight, but I'll still be curvy.

Shadowf3
05-26-2012, 05:13 PM
No final straw, just the dawning realisation that it was now or never.
I'm 40, at the stage where what I do to myself is really starting to impact my health, possibly past the point of recovery. I do not want to be on meds the rest of my life and I want my kids to see and use me as a good example, not a bad one.
I hate the way I feel and look.
So I quit smoking and started working out...we have the equipment, so there was never an excuse for me not to. I was just lazy.
I think the final realisation that I was my own worst enemy and the only way I was ever going to change myself, was to change my attitude and way of thinking completely.
I don't want to be a supermodel...that was the previous mindset and totally unrealistic. I want to be slim, well toned and healthy/vibrant looking.
I am not sure of what my final weight will be...if I lose too much and start looking gaunt and feeling lethargic, I'll start gaining until I find my happy place again! I also realise that losing is the easy part...maintaining is the real challenge.
Every little change I make and every improvement I see is now an incentive to keep going. I know that ultimately, it's the little things that makes the big picture.

justanotherchix
05-26-2012, 06:59 PM
when I noticed I basiclly stopped having sex or feeling good around my husband.
He is awsome and is all over me but I saw one day recently that I am pulling away (literaly)

i hated hating myself so start my plan 6/1/12 after my surgery :) YAY:D

ADL
05-26-2012, 07:31 PM
I had a few last straws and with each came a new realization about weight loss. For example one year during finals in college there was literally a chocolate massacre. It didn't even taste good at a certain point but I was so upset about finals I just kept going at it. After that night I felt so gross I vowed to lose weight. I didn't end up losing weight but I cut out almost all sugar (I HATE artificial sweetener in my morning coffee) and oil (I might have tuna in olive oil or a little bit of vinaigrette) and white carbs and started eating really good food. I still lacked portion control though and maintained my weight. Then I moved from an urban to a suburban area which allowed me to go biking and hiking which is amazing because a treadmill makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel. What got me to this point where I decided I wanted to lose all the weight once and for all was actually my husband. He was 235 lbs 5"11 and totally grossed out by himself. I saw how upset he was and how much my positive influence could help him because he couldn't do it alone. Of course I wanted to lose weight too, but it was the realization that dieting was something that could so positively influence my husband that got me to diet.

celticrae19
05-29-2012, 10:51 PM
well I had let myself get so huge over time but I didn't care. I have been overweight almost my entire life. I wasn't really an unhealthy child. I played out side all the time. We didn't have a computer, or cable tv, I didn't get my first video game system till the age of 10. My Mom didn't let us eat sugary cereals like fruit loops. despite this I was still very overweight my entire childhood. Well I had a period of time where I slimmed down slightly from the age of 11 to 13 but from then on I was always overweight. It was a way of life for me I didn't care. But after gaining an additional 20 lbs in college from horrendous eating habits I finally got on the scale. It said 242 lbs !!!!! I couldn't believe it. HOW COULD I HAVE LET MYSELF GET THAT WAY!!! no more I would never be that fat again.

ultrapeaches
06-01-2012, 12:07 AM
After our son was born, my husband and I got health insurance. We made appointments to establish care with a primary care doctor, and high-fived each other for being such responsible adults.
Well, our new doctor didn't mince words. She said we were obese, and that my cholesterol levels were impressively bad for a 23 year old (my husband's weren't great, but not as bad as mine). She said that we needed to get it under control and come back in a year for a repeat of our fasting blood work.
My husband got all butt hurt about being called obese and didn't want to see that doctor again, but it really hit home with me. We both agreed that we would be at a healthy weight when we see her again in august.

redvelouria
06-01-2012, 03:31 AM
This thread is great; I love reading everyone's stories because they're honest and real...even if it's painful.

Here's my own Top 10 list of hard but painful truths about my weight loss:

1. My grandma passed away and I realized that life is short; why spend it being uncomfortable in your own body?

2. I stopped feeling sexy.

3. I made my husband take a picture of me in a bikini at my highest weight of 205.

4. I started having joint pain after work.

5. I realized that my extra weight makes me look older.

6. I found this forum and saw the inspiring results that others have attained; I realized I could have that too.

7. I stopped dressing up and began wearing lots of workout clothes...even though I didn't work out!

8. I kept looking at my dusty TRX (workout equipment) and feeling more and more guilty and ashamed.

9. I'd eat bad foods and feel like crap afterwards.

10. My BMI was borderline obese!

Thank you everyone for supporting and motivating. I wish you all the best!

lora m
06-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Well I've lost and regained some weight a few times, so I had a few straws.

Straw 1 - I was size 20UK/16US and realised my clothes were getting too tight and I was on the brink of going up yet again.

Straw 2, a good decade later - I had got back up to the same size again and just 5lbs lower, but that wasn't the straw. I had swollen ankles with pitting oedema and combined with breathlessness, worried about heart failure. My doctor sent me off for cardiac tests and told me to lose weight. The scare made me take it seriously. I told my elderly dad (who has heart failure) about it and he said 'Don't end up like me' which made an impact too. The hospital tests turned out okay and by then I was motivated once more.

Straw 3, last week - back to clothes sizing. After being a healthy BMI since May 2010 I'd let everything slip for the last 6 months or so and returned to some very bad eating habits. As I slipped over into the overweight category I kept thinking I had to take action, but didn't get past the thinking stage while the weight kept on creeping. Then finally I realised my size 16UK/12US clothes were getting too tight. I'd already gone up one size from my lowest and no way was I allowing yet another size change. I'd had two years of enjoying clothes more than I had for many years before that. It was one pleasure I didn't want to give up.

init2winit2
06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I totally get what you are saying. It's like there has to be some really big "aha moment" that makes us realize that we must lose the weight, even though we most likely knew that all along.

Thanks for being so transparent, VeggieGurl.

Alegria25
06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
I think the final straw of those that had been building was looking at a picture someone had tagged me in on facebook and seeing shades of my parents (both obese) in that girl in the photo. I don't want to be where they are.

Others straws that helped get me there:
My waist is bigger than the hips of another dancer in my company.
None of the new costuming for my dance company, even in the largest size, fit, and I was having to make my own or not dance.
I can't keep up as well with my dogs.
I don't feel sexy.
I don't want to buy biggers bras.
I'm tired of the doctor and my grandfather telling me how fat I am.
The extra weight puts extra pressure on damaged joints.

I will get to my goal weight, slowly but surely. I will. :-)

KylieH
06-19-2012, 11:52 PM
1. Had to ask the sales clerk for the largest size pants size they carry (14) and discovered they were too tight.
2. Running into a work colleague when I'm buying more fat pants to replace the other two sets of fat pants
3. Pretending that I'm really buying four candy bars to pay off a high school kid for mowing the yard
4. Seeing a picture of myself two years ago and nearly breaking into tears.
5. Hitting 175.

Miss LunaStar
06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm actually really annoyed, failing to succeed so many times before. This time I'm out to prove something, for one. I always said I'd be in shape for my 21st birthday so, you know...gotta show the world something lol. :) More than anything, I wanna be my personal best.

moon safari
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Three things that happened to me in quick succession:

1. not being as athletic or flexible as my partner which is inconvenient anyway but especially during...certain times.

2. I developed extremely painful plantar facitiis and my podiatrist said that I could get a series of 5 very painful shots in my heel to paralyze the muscle every time I had a flare-up OR I could lose weight and it would go away on its own.

3. I was diagnosed with arthritis. I'm in my 20's and that one really blew me away. The doctor said that my frame just cannot support the weight and it's starting to degenerate and fail. That one really hit me. I am permanently damaging my body. I only get one and when I break it, I don't get another!

RVAscreenwriter
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi there, everyone--
I'm reviving this thread because it truly resonates with me. It's weird how when you are facing a difficult challenge that it seems like you're the only person in the world to face it, ever. Logically, you know that's not true, but it sure feels that way. After reading all of the reasons why y'all decided that 'enough is enough', I feel inspired to list mine.
1. My fiance and I have sex far less often. He's gained about 100lbs. since I first met him. He said that he feels self-conscious and unsexy when he sees himself naked. Having gained 50lbs. since meeting him, I realized that I feel that way, too.
2. Over the past two years, I've really hated seeing myself in photos. I never used to scorn my image like that, before.
3. I stepped on the scale for the first time in ages and saw that I was 3lbs. away from hitting the 200 mark.
4. I saw that all of the clothing that used to be my "heavy" wardrobe are sitting unused and unwearable in the back of my closet.
5. I look about eight years older than I did only two years ago.
6. My doctor said that I have high cholesterol, and that my joint pain is likely due to my increased weight.
7. I'm getting married in May of 2013, and realized that if I hate my photos now, I'll really hate my wedding photos.

BerkshireGrl
07-13-2012, 10:20 PM
RVAscreenwriter, :hug:

TheRainFalls
07-13-2012, 10:59 PM
My "Fat" clothes became too small. A coworker said "wide load coming through" as I walked by. My boss bought me diet snacks and told me I should start losing weight again. I overheard my step daughter call me a "Fat A$$" on the phone.

I was just so tired of being miserable, embarrassed, uncomfortable, and mad at myself.

Now when I make it through a day eating healthy and exercising. I'm proud of myself. I'm not doing this for anyone but myself, and that feels good. I want to look in the mirror and think I'm pretty. I want to wear a cute outfit and feel good.

I also want to let everyone know on this website that I'm so thankful to all of you. Your all so supportive and kind. I feel so safe to say what I feel here. So thanks you everyone. No matter what you are all winners to me.

RVAscreenwriter
07-14-2012, 11:37 AM
RVAscreenwriter, :hug:
Thanks, BerkshireGrl!

RVAscreenwriter
07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
A coworker said "wide load coming through" as I walked by. My boss bought me diet snacks and told me I should start losing weight again. I overheard my step daughter call me a "Fat A$$" on the phone.

Oh, my goodness. I'm sorry that you experienced such antagonizing over your weight. No one deserves to be treated that way.
Best wishes on your journey, RainFalls! :hug:

TurboLaura
07-14-2012, 12:09 PM
To Therainfalls: I'm so sorry that those hurtful things were said to and about you. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people can be. Congrats on doing it for YOURSELF!

RVAscreenwriter: You can do it!!!!!!! Congrats on your success so far :)

My final moment was a friday in December, the last Friday before Christmas vacation at school (I'm a school counselor) and it was dress down day. My totally stretched out size 16 jeans, that were most likely more of a 20 due to stretching, ripped when I put them on. I had nothing else I could fit into - no other jeans that I could squeeze into. I figured, ok, grab my long sweater to cover it all up and make me feel ok....couldn't find the sweater. I ran around my house screaming "where is it? I have nothing to cover this fat ***, I'm such a loser". What made matters worse was I had lunch duty that day so I also got to stand in front of 1200 kids, feeling so fat and ugly, trying to cover ripped jeans. I decided then to make a change. I NEVER want to call myself fat *** or hate the way I look again. It took about 1 more week of eating junk food daily and binging all the time and then I went full blast on Jan 2 and haven't stopped! Ladies, you have been an incredible amount of support for me. THANK YOU!

Thank you all for listening. :D

RVAscreenwriter
07-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Congratulations, TurboLaura, on your accomplishments! Keep it up :)

queenie91
07-19-2012, 02:40 AM
I was in denial for so long. I knew I was fat but I always though I wasn't that fat. My best friend started losing weight and she looks absolutely amazing. I used that as my motivation a few months ago and so far I haven't looked back.

I've lost about 30 pounds, and now, when I see myself in the mirror I can't believe I was ever bigger than I am now. It's so strange how perceptions can change so drastically.

Wheresmychin
07-19-2012, 04:18 AM
I started belly dancing last year and my teacher has one of those "infectious personalities" so despite being the biggest person in the class, I continued. She also turns out to be a Facebook fanatic who keeps on tagging me in photo's.

we have a show in August where our class will be performing and I decided I wanted a proper outfit this year. So instead of covering up Everything like I did last year, I decided to "bare the belly".

I found a lifestyle that suits me and so far is showing great results. I know this is just the start but I think finding this website is going to keep me focused and continually inspired!

westcoast rosa
07-19-2012, 11:44 AM
2 months ago the elevator in our apartment building needed to be upgraded, so it was out of commission for 4 weeks. I live on the fourth floor and, in the beginning, I found myself having to stop for a rest twice on the way up while my daughter ran the entire way. By the end of the 4 weeks I was only stopping once. That was when I realized that I needed to 1) get healthy and 2) that I could!

sept2012
07-19-2012, 12:13 PM
You know what is a kicker for me... not nearly the straw that broke the camels back, but something that happens EVERY time I have a boyfriend? They all weigh around 220-225 and are about 6'0 to 6'2 ( i always pick the same body type) and I think to myself I wish I weighed that... hahahah who wished for 220? Me...

My very first straw was July 2011. I too had to ask for an extender for the seatbelt. I remember how humilating that was. Never in my life did I think I would become one of "those" people. But I did. I tell you what. I have never had to ask again. I fly at least once a month and a mini goal for me was to never have to ask for that damn thing again.

The straw this time was realizing I just want to be healthy. I enjoy more than anything being active. Outdoors... hiking, biking, camping, on the river. I can do these things at this weight... I just don't want to anymore. I want to be active in all of these things without wondering if I can make it up that hill or if I can walk that long. Its just time and its ridiculous that I have to spend a moment of my time in this life worrying about any of these things. Dammint... its time to xxxx or get of the pot.

RVAscreenwriter
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Dammint... its time to xxxx or get of the pot.

I LOVE your enthusiasm! :cp:

TurboLaura
07-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Thank you, RCAscreenwriter :)

Dolores Claibourne
08-10-2012, 06:43 AM
So many wonderful and honest posts on this thread. Thank you all for sharing. Don't feel so alone with my struggle today.:hug:

ilidawn
08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I've always wanted to lose weight but never did a thing. Part of what got me serious about it was when I broke my ankle a year ago. Hoping around on crutches really made me realize how hard my weight was to handle and during the same time, the ex I gave another chance to cheated on me many times for girls that were size 0-2....seriously a third my size because I've met most the girls he cheated on me with. I got seriously depressed, almost died, and slowly realized that I needed to love myself and change to what I want to be.

On a funny note, I did realize I needed to lose weight when an old couple looked at my belly and smiled thinking I was pregnant..lol I've never had kids so this belly's gotta go!

Skellig19
09-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Uh...not being able to get my wedding ring off was my last straw... I had convinced myself that as long as I could remove it in the shower with the help of shampoo/conditioner/general soapiness, I was still not-fat.

One day it happened. I couldn't take it off and I panicked. I felt TRAPPED. Not trapped with my husband but physically I felt sort of...finger-claustrophobic (if that's even a thing!?). I told myself it was not going to continue and I was going to slim down. About 3 months ago, I was able to remove it and then of course, promptly put it on again. It was fabulous just knowing that I could take it off whenever I wanted. TAKE THAT FATTY FINGERS!

1spunkygal
09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
I will share it because I know I cant be the only one. Well....the third thing was that I noticed that wiping myself was becoming difficult. There I said it. I noticed I was so fat that I could barely reach my ***. That I had to fight fat rolls to get there because trust me I was going to get there! But I thought I shouldn't have to fight my own *** to be clean.

YES, YES, YES I'm so glad you brought this up :)

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/bee01/lb/225/125/201/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

1spunkygal
09-19-2012, 08:21 PM
My last straw I was @ a water park with my grand girls & I had a hard time
( was not stuck) getting out of the inner tube . When I was trying to help my 7yo grandgirl back in her tube. I wasn't worried she can swim & the water was only 3 ft but I had alllll this stomach to roll over to get out of the tube. I felt like a loser & I said to myself THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT , YOU CAN FIX THIS !

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/bee01/lb/225/125/201/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

SheenaBeena
09-28-2012, 10:57 AM
That someone loved me,but couldn't be with me because of my weight. It may seem shallow,but I don't think it is. It's the fact that he didn't want to love me then lose me to some weight related illness.

My new I.D card picture, I had triple chins,and no cheekbones!! I looked 45 not 31. EWW!

Tying my shoes took sometimes 15 min.

When the belly sticks out farther than your breasts,or your stomach becomes an arm rest,yeah the fat has got to hit the road.

MakingTheRestTheBest
10-23-2012, 10:03 AM
My doctor actually said to me yesterday that if I don't lose weight, I will probably have to add a third blood pressure pill to keep my blood pressure down. And my cousin told me she is ashamed to go out of the house anymore because she has to wear "tents" then I found out that although she is an inch taller than me, I weigh 40 pounds more than her! The third thing is that I have always been very social, but now I don't want to go out with friends because I always feel like the fat girl in the group :(

Wannabehealthy
10-23-2012, 10:49 AM
3. Finally, the most embarrassing and part that made me cry. I will share it because I know I cant be the only one. Well....the third thing was that I noticed that wiping myself was becoming difficult. There I said it. I noticed I was so fat that I could barely reach my ***. That I had to fight fat rolls to get there because trust me I was going to get there! But I thought I shouldn't have to fight my own *** to be clean.

I'm so glad I read this almost 2 year old thread, because this is so funny, but true. There are so many things that thin people take for granted.

The responses here were very good, and honest.

Kopuiylopiu
10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
I recently went to the doctor, and when they weighed me, I was almost 20 lbs heavier than I was a year ago. I was shocked. Sitting in the waiting room waiting for my doctor to come in, I was just looking in the mirror, still completely shocked. After the appointment I compared my now self to pictures from a year ago, and realized I really had blown up. Even when I was small I could never get small enough, and now that I blew up. My self esteem took a ****. I felt like I wasn't good enough for my boyfriend. Constantly comparing myself to thinner women, like I would never be that. Then, about a week ago, I woke up, and decided that I was going to be one of those women. Since then I've been on a 1200 calorie, low carb, no wheat diet. I'm starting to exercise and tone up, although a little at a time, and most importantly, I'm getting excited for the future. Because now I know that in one year, I'm going to be a whole new me. I needed that sadness to get me to realize I was throwing myself a pity party. ;)

*~Love and Light~*

the shiv
12-14-2012, 12:13 AM
For me it was a gradual change in attitude. I'd "diet" in the past but all the hatred of myself was still there so I gave up trying. I've been seeing a counsellor, i've got out a whole load of the c**p that was holding me back, and 3yrs ago I fell in love with a wonderful man who loves me no matter what my size and just wants me to be happy with myself. I started setting boundaries with people who were using me as a doormat. I've managed to claw back some self-worth I seriously don't think I've had since I was... 8? I'm not kidding, I've been depressed most of my life and done a reasonable job of burying it. Now I'm I'm a kind of limbo, where I like myself on the inside but not the outside. I realised that I am so sorry for what I've put myself through, hiding behind pitying myself for being fat. Now I realise I'm actually worth a whole lot more than I thought, I feel stable enough on the inside to do something about it. I'm sick of just existing. I've had enough of buying into this myth that being thin won't make me happy. Sure, I don't want to be a size zero, and losing 100lbs won't solve ALL my problems... but it will solve a lot of them! I finally feel like I deserve to be happy. I owe it to myself. This journey back to who I am is a gift I'm giving myself to make up for so many years of treating myself like a piece of ****!

valentine21463
12-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Some of the last straws on here made me laugh out loud because I can totally relate.
Here's my last straw...We are remodling our bathroom it's been months that we haven't had a shower. We have to take only baths. GAWD! I feel like a whale in that tub trying to wash my hair, move around, and forget trying to get up to get out! I feel like my butt is pure lead. This thing is heavy!

BeesWing
12-20-2012, 03:27 PM
The last straw for me was when my 5 year old son said I had a big belly just like super Mario. It made me cringe. So I went to my doctor because of pcos and gerd, to see what I could do. He ran some tests and the results were startling.I had always viewed my weight as something physically unattractive, I had never really concidered its impact on my health. Duh, I know. I have to make changes.

lhanna200
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
It's really interesting to see how different everyone's last straw is. For me its my mother-in-law tbh. She's a big lady and she's diabetic. Seeing the problems she's having with knees/back/feet due to the stress of carrying so much weight has made me realise i dont want that for myself. I'd always seen my weight as a cosmetic thing and not a big deal, but seeing its effect on her has really driven home that it's a massive health issue too.

Happycat89
01-03-2013, 10:23 AM
For me I had kick started so many times, I had said out loud to all my friends that I wanted to lose weight but everyone just kept saying 'oh you're not big,' 'you're exaggerating', 'you don't look as much as you weigh'. Even when I got I mistaken for being pregnant 3 times I still just kept telling myself that I looked fine and that people were just being blind. And then one day I was flicking through all the pictures in my photo albums from a couple of years ago and I was wearing clothes that I could only dream of fitting into now, and I wasn't exactly slender then, and then I looked through more photos and as the time went on I looked bigger and bigger until I got up to pictures and I was really straining to fit into generous sized clothes and then the final kicker was when a friend of mine who used to be bigger than me gave me a bag of clothes that didn't fit her anymore as she had lost so much weight and they were all at least two sizes too small. So I said to myself this is just silly now, your big, your too big, I had a bad BMI and I was 3 stone heavier than my boyfriend that 5 inches taller than me. DO SOMETHING! So I have, and I am here with all you amazing people, with so much courage and so much willpower. And hopefully if I just keep going I can look at this whole experience as a learning curve! :-)

LolTiger
01-21-2013, 06:46 AM
I can barely fit into any of my clothes anymore! Over the years, I've bought new gear and the sizes keep inching up... but I don't get rid of the old clothes b/c I'm thinking "this is only temporary, no way I'm going to stay this big for long..." So I buy cheap bigger clothes and keep fooling myself. Like the weight is just going to fall off all by itself ;)

Psychic
01-22-2013, 03:34 PM
I decided I was definitely going to lose weight when I realized I was nearing 200 pounds.

HelloNurse
01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
I always thought to myself "Well, I'm big, but I'm happy and I feel pretty good and I never had trouble finding boyfriends when I've wanted one."

I got a new job last year in a cardiac cath lab, and we have to wear lead aprons during the procedures to protect us from the x-rays. Everyone always complains that they're heavy, so one day on a lark I weighed mine and the whole kit weighs almost 30 pounds. And I realized: 30 extra pounds makes me this sore, and this tired, and I'm carrying around over three times that much extra fat every day of my life.

Yes, I am still happy, and I still generally feel like a healthy person. But now I'm excited thinking about how much I'm going to feel even better when I ditch some of this extra poundage.

betsy2013
01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Two things made me realize that I actually needed to be serious about this after 40 years of "dieting" -- obviously not too successfully. First, I had set a goal to have lost enough to be able to take my grand nephews to the Zoo Lights display at Christmas. Couldn't do it because it requires a lot of walking. And, I had dieted the entire year and managed to end the year weighing 30 pounds more than when I started. And, I hit 396. I was NOT going to go over into another hundred. It made me want to lose weight for me.

MinnyTX
01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I am staring 50 in the face and I'm bound and determined to make the next 50 the healthiest and happiest of my life. :D DH just turned 50 and I want him to be around as long as me so we'll be improving our nutrition and eating habits together.

ichoose2believe
02-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for this thread... Oh my I can relate. My main straws. Seeing the scale hit 320 (my highest weight). Thats also the point that I pretty much stopped having sex with my BF of 8 years-I just didn't feel sexy anymore. God love him he is patient and doesn't say anything and always makes me feel wanted. Then there was my dad being hospitalized for heart failure for the second time last month and was diagnosed as diabetic (although he says he's not). I realized it could just as easily be me in the hospital or worse my kiddo could have to live without me.

DazeGypsy
02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I am new here and haven't posted a formal introduction yet... But for me, the final straw was being out with my boyfriend and him taking some pics of me on his phone... I saw the pics he took and I looked disgusting in them. And I was even all dolled up to go out. It was my size and the fatness of my face and my neck that made me look so bad. So I decided that was enough. That was back in November. I've lost 26 pounds since then. Still have a long way to go though...

I'm one of those people who carried weight really well. I have to gain a lot before it starts to show. The downside to that is I also have to lose a lot before it starts to show. I've lost 26 pounds and only shrink one pant size. People haven't started noticing yet. But I notice and my bf says he can tell, mainly when I'm not dressed, lol...

So yea, that was my last straw.

Thinforme
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Mine was my boyfriend wanting a "private" dance, I tried dancing for a three minute song and couldn't and was so sore the next day and I could just imagine this walrus trying to dance and skin rippling and that was it. I promised myself by his next birthday I'd have the confidence to do it for him. Though it has now become about being a healthy mommy for my kids also.

ghostly
04-04-2013, 06:58 PM
The past 6 months, I have hid away from cameras, from going out, been very home-body-ish and that's just not me... I realized recently that the reason I had hid myself away was because I had gained so much weight and I was depressed about it and ashamed and when my boyfriend said "You never want to go out and do anything fun anymore!"... I realized I needed to face this monster that was my weight and do something about... Not to mention seeing pictures recently, seeing the lines created in my face from the excess weight which made me look older, my risk of diabetes as a gestational diabetes patient with my daughter, and then my mom called me chubby, and I've been a pretty thin-average person my whole life.

I cried a lot in the past few weeks cuz I know I need to do something about it, and now I'm on day 4.

Pink Hurricane
04-04-2013, 10:34 PM
When I regained half of the weight I had lost and could not fit into any of my pants, then realized I was 3 sizes larger than the smallest pair of pants I had. Also seeing a picture of myself back at 245, when I had reached 185 in 2011.

thevegangoddess
04-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Although I'm technically at a normal weight (5'9" and 150ish pounds), I have a naturally very small frame, and I don't carry weight well. I was already disappointed that I was gaining from a vanity stand point. The last straw, however, was when my breasts kept growing to a point that they were too heavy for my back to carry. I herniated a disc two years ago, and while resting, climbed up to about 150lbs. I had to take the weight off, because my DDD breasts were IMPOSSIBLE for my bad back. Now I'm at that place again, and it needs to stop before I actually hurt my back again. And I figure, since starting is the hardest part, once I get healthy, I can lose some vanity pounds, too.

MistressMikuru
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
After my c-section for my twins, when I was finally able to stand I looked in the mirror and was horrified. Up until that point, (and the entire pregnancy) I had never been big. I was always small. That changes when you have kids, especially twins. I think the second part that was hard for me to accept was that I couldn't fit into my favorite Tripp pants anymore.

Skyra
04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
When I got on the scale and realized I had hit 150. Which was 10 pounds heavier than I had ever been before, and also I was right in the middle of the "overweight" category - any higher and I would have been closer to obese than a healthy weight. Also, I thought "yikes! If this keeps up I'll be closer to 200 than 100!". Not that I want to be 100 pounds even, that would be too skinny, but thinking of steadily creeping up to 200 scared me.

joefla70
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I've experienced a lot of the things people mentioned... even the really embarrassing one that OP mentioned! But for reasons inexplicable to me, none of that made me try to lose the weight. I mean, REALLY try. The "straw" was my kids - plus the fact that I am in my 40s. When I was in my 20s and 30s I felt indestructible. People that age didn't drop dead. Then it dawned on me that I am no longer a kid... and people DO drop dead in their 40s, especially people like me who were over 400 pounds. I decided that I wanted to live a normal life span and be around for as long as I can for my family. I decided that I wanted to do it while I was still otherwise healthy, and not because I HAD to do it because of diabetes or heard disease. While its nice to look and feel better, and I SHOULD have done it for those reasons too long ago, I didn't.

dehtripper
04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Before I got back the health train, I rarely weighed myself (like once every 3-4 years). Though I tried to deny it, I knew I was getting bigger. Once I faced up to is, stepped on the scales and saw I was not just 200lbs but over 10lbs above that, I knew I had to change.

RavenB
05-18-2013, 05:23 PM
I hadn't left the house for ages and it was my 26th birthday. My family pressured me into going out to dinner and when I started getting ready, I realized none of my clothes even came close to fitting. I had to buy a pair of jeans in sweat-pants just to be half-way presentable. They were a size 22 and my last size had been an 18.

It was sort of a realization about everything in my life being wrong. I was just on the worst possible track. I was wasting my life and getting deeper and deeper into the hole I was digging while trying to block out reality. Dieting was just a part of the realization that I had to crawl out of the hole and be part of the world again.

Gonna Get There Soon
05-29-2013, 06:09 PM
196lbs. That's what broke it. I couldn't even look at my thighs anymore without feeling suicidal.

Andrea85
06-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Honestly? Dyeing my hair!!

I was a blonde my whole life. I finally decided to go dark, and I LOVED it!!

I like to contrast when I dress. With my blonde hair, I tended to go for dark tops. When I had dark hair, I started to try on lots of colored tops, only to find that not a single one looked good :(

For me...somehow, that was it. The realization that I couldn't feel comfortable in a single top except a black one motivated me. I just started to watch what I ate, worked out 5 days a week, and stopped drinking alcohol. That led me to loose 30 lbs in 6 months :)

ArtThistle
06-27-2013, 02:56 AM
For me, it was my best friend mentioning that he thought a waitress at a restaurant was pretty, because she was skinny. I've struggled with my weight, and depression, for a long time. He and I are so close because we have a lot of similar issues. He's 6ft tall, and weighs 130lbs but can't gain weight. I'm 5'6", 158 (down from 165), and, until I started my Slim Fast diet, couldn't stop gaining weight.
As the only girl in my group of friends, I tend to have quite a bit of pride about my appearance. And before that, no one had said anything about skinny girls being more attractive. Everyone had always said I looked great.
His opinion matters to me a lot. He's the person I trust most, besides my boyfriend (who has always thought I looked great regardless of my weight).

Turtle11
06-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I broke a wooden chair, yes the boards had been rotten, but still I sat in it and broke it. Everyone was kidding and joking around about it, and I joked back, but man it hurt inside. That was Memorial Day (May 27th) and I joined WW May 30th, and have since lost 8 lbs.

pumpkinheads
06-27-2013, 05:38 PM
I always wear skirts and dresses...it's my thing, and my husband loves this about me. After a long winter of cool weather and leggings to keep my bare legs warm, I'm faced with the heat of southern california summers. Over the last few months I've felt my bras getting tighter...I know the elastic on my underwear is more taut than usual...but I was not prepared for the bare thigh rub of summer 2013. It's painful. And I've got to do something about this. Some of my girlfriends refer to the chaffing as "crotch rot." It's the pits :/ I also feel myself walking differently, like my gait is compromised by the size of my thighs to afford more room so they don't rub together. I can't change my natural walk to make room for fatter thighs!!!

Wannabehealthy
06-30-2013, 09:10 PM
I always wear skirts and dresses...it's my thing, and my husband loves this about me. After a long winter of cool weather and leggings to keep my bare legs warm, I'm faced with the heat of southern california summers. Over the last few months I've felt my bras getting tighter...I know the elastic on my underwear is more taut than usual...but I was not prepared for the bare thigh rub of summer 2013. It's painful. And I've got to do something about this. Some of my girlfriends refer to the chaffing as "crotch rot." It's the pits :/ I also feel myself walking differently, like my gait is compromised by the size of my thighs to afford more room so they don't rub together. I can't change my natural walk to make room for fatter thighs!!!

I'm thinking you could wear pettipants under your dresses and skirts. They would keep your thighs from rubbing together.

LSJ100
08-03-2013, 12:44 AM
I had been feeling "ready" to have a baby and was waiting for my husband to join me in that perspective, and he finally got there only for me to realize that I was so heavy that I'd be putting myself and the baby at risk. I can't believe I let it get to this point...however, I'm not "dieting," because I fail at that repeatedly. I'm doing Weight Watchers and eating whole foods, trying to stay away from processed stuff, and amping up the exercise...

SarahLouise92
08-08-2013, 10:55 AM
When I was in Fiji for medical reasons I couldn't go into the water, I needed a piggy back ride from this massively muscled Fijian chap who huffed and puffed his was to the shore. I was so humiliated (and worrying about his back the whole time!)

AngieRR1022
08-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Mine was that my daughter was recently given a Nintendo DSi as a gift. She discovered the camera and loves taking pictures of mommy. I started seeing pictures of me. Like real pictures, the way other people see me. Not the flattering selfies that we all take of ourselves. And WOW. Talk about an eye opener.

blackaurora9
08-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Nothing in particular. I just watched my weight go up and up and up over the years. I never liked it, but I liked food more. I think around the time my weight passed my dad's (he's about 220) I knew I was getting into danger territory. Tried to lose weight, failed, tried again, failed again, and so on. Now I'm at a point of maximum frustration with myself - if that's not motivation, I don't know what is.

Melonlefey
08-22-2013, 10:23 PM
When I graduated I got a photo album of all these pictures of me through the years, and I remember seeing a picture of my middle school self and being amazed at how skinny I was! In middle school I was so convinced I was fat that I think it became a self fulfilling prophecy, and it made me SO ANGRY to realize that I WASN'T fat then, but I'd let that ruin my self confidence all through high school!

At that point I pretty much decided that I'd missed my chance in high school but there was NO WAY IN **** I was going to make those mistakes in college.

Mori M
08-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Not being able to wear what I want because of my weight. It's hard enough finding decent plus size clothing as it is, but being in a goth/punk aesthetic is nearly impossible. Plus, any choices there is breaks my bank. I just want to be able to walk in a store, find something that is in my price range, buy it, and wear it without thinking "Oh crap, you can see my stomach rolls" or "this doesn't fit over my chest".

versace
08-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Probably a few things altogether, but the thing that finally pushed me to say that's it, I am so done with this, was I realized I was sick of hiding in crummy, baggy clothes. I seriously lived in hoodies. Cold weather, okay weather, blisteringly hot 100+ degree weather, I was in a hoodie. I'd just suffered through another summer, and a very warm October, where I had another Halloween I didn't feel comfortable enough to dress up for, and that was it.

And then the thing that 10000% cemented it immediately after I said enough, was I stepped on a scale, first time in years, and it said 222 lbs. If my conviction before hadn't been enough, then that definitely made up for it.

Jessicarabbit
09-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Well for me most of my tries were the last straw. I was sick and tired of not being able to wear the clothes I wanted because of my touching thighs or my abdomen. This time around has been actually the longest I've been serious about it. It took seeing some Christmas pictures from a trip I had made with my girlfriend... it saddened me to see the picture and not even recognizing myself and thinking, this doesn't even look like a 25 year old... So after the guilt and shame.. I decided to go to a nutritionist and exercise. Before that, I thought I didn't need the help of an expert in the area. It's been slow but definitely worth it.

MintyBadger
09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
There was a slow build for me. Firstly I broke up with my boyfriend and suddenly realised that I didn't actually like my body, I had based any body confidence on him.

Secondly after spending the summer at home with my mothers cooking I jumped on the scales for the first time in years and found out I'm about 3 stone heavier than I believed.

No more denial from here...

Redonkulous
09-12-2013, 05:52 AM
hmmmmm....a straw that broke the camel's back? How about STRAWS plural :( ?

1) Having people ask when the baby's due. Actually, the baby was born a year ago, but my belly just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
2) Two words: FLESH APRON.
3) There is nothing distinguishable about my side profile: the breast/belly combo is one big lump.
4) Removing pictures from my Facebook profile in which my friends tagged me in (embarrassed because I have let myself go so much)
5) It is not fun going shopping for fat clothes!!!
6) Not wanting to be in family pictures/being in video camera
7) Realizing that I spend $$$ on fast food each month
8) I'm ready to have my chin and cheekbones back!
9) Realizing that even a good tan will not camouflage cellulite lol
10) Discovering that my knee-high boots are tight in the calves - yikes!

good luck to everyone in your weight loss journeys! I certainly need it! :)

sammie9541
09-12-2013, 06:18 AM
I decided a week ago enough is enough, I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant a year and a half ago and I worry that I'll end up with type 2, my legs and back ache every day, I look more pregnant than I did when I was pregnant and I get light headed and I have no motivatation to do anything when I get up in the morning. I also want to have a proud daughter and healthy daughter and not be the fat mum on the playground that no-one talks to. So I need to set a good example for her. I don't wnat her to end up unconfident and depressed about being fat, most her life like I have been so far.

It's been brewing for a while. I have decided this time to take it slowly though and work myself up to fitness fanatic in stages. I used to say to myself, right diet starts monday, keep fit regime starts as well and I will lose a half a stone each week. I lasted half a day max! It was like I was going to climb Everest in my head on monday morning. I realise now that this was unacheivable. So I have started with the keep fit videos, and then I will improve my diet over time, and not completely restrict myself of anything. I will then introduce different keep fit things as time goes on. Just hope it works this time. I think I just need to stop pressurising myself to the point where I give up as it seems impossible

greenlights1
11-07-2013, 01:25 AM
I graduated college at 399lb, brought myself down to 370 and figured "yeah this is great" but then kind of gave up on continuing and stayed stuck there for a while. I'm 23, my life is just beginning. I was borderline diabetic, close to high blood pressure, and more...but i never really took it seriously. I had to shop in stores the rest of my girlfriends walk past without even considering on any of our mall trips.

A best friend of mine moved down to Florida, and set her wedding date for October 25th but when i went to book a plane ticket down, i found out i'd need to buy two seats, i was too fat to fly. The hardest part in facing that was knowing that i never wanted to miss out on big moments in my friends lives, in my life, because of my weight EVER again, so i started on track, and since september I've lost about 52lbs.

Now that i'm almost down below 300, i couldn't be happier with the decision i made.

Fiona W
11-11-2013, 10:29 AM
My straw was my knees. Doing nothing more vigorous than descending stairs too quickly, I severely injured my left knee and mildly injured my right knee. It's taken a year and a half to rehab them to the point where they don't hurt when I walk. 300+ pounds is just too much weight for any 5'3" gal to be able to carry, and not expect knee troubles. For 25 years (since my 30s) I've been happy as a fat woman, but now it's time to change!

LaurieDawn
11-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Seeing weight loss, diet and exercise as ways to pamper my wonderful self, rather than as a way to punish my horrible, worthless self has been much more successful.

This. This is the reason 3FC is so valuable to me. I always see something that really resonates with me that day. Weight loss, diet, and exercise are incredible things I do for myself. And I feel GREAT when I'm doing them. Just an incredible thought for me. Thank you.

noshoes
01-12-2014, 04:38 AM
I was depressed and I started walking to get away from my problems I guess. I hadn' t weighed myself for a while but I guess kidded myself I was still the same weight as years ago. Hubby had made comments about my weight but thought he was being mean or relating it to his weight loss.
Then I checked my weight...what? I am obese? So that was a shock. I had been walking and then started c25k program and started eating better. Its working so I am going to keep at it.
I am almost 36, been a mum for 14 years and it was time for me honestly. Never tried to lose weight so this is all very new and eye opening.

SamIAm86
01-18-2014, 11:19 AM
For me it was to finally put my foot down and say this is it! I have PCOS and want to have children one day. I'm 27 and I'm not getting any younger. In order to get my PCOS in check and make it possible to have kids I need to lose the weight. There for awhile I was all about just love the skin you're in and just didn't care if I was fat or not. But about 2 weeks ago I was like, no this isn't alright. There's nothing wrong with being big if you're healthy and happy. I also have HBP and don't want to be on medication the rest of my life so I'm trying to make food my medicine and eat a clean, whole food diet. I want to feel comfortable in cute clothes and DEFINITELY want to get rid of the giant flesh apron. I wish everyone well in their journies! :)

Velvet bean
01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
When I realised that I have a full closet of beautiful clothes and only one pair of pants fit me and that I eat 100g (3.5 ounces) of chocolate every day. :(

underanalysis
01-23-2014, 04:05 PM
When I was at my lowest weight and lowest BF% in graduate school, just last year, I bought myself a few hundred dollars' worth of nice clothes for interviews and work. Currently, none of the pants fit me properly, and some of the shirts and dresses are too tight as well. I want to wear my nice clothes!

WGnMO
01-29-2014, 05:20 AM
When I look at my 79yr old Mom who is in a wheelchair now because of her weight (and the many health problems it led to) -- and I weigh as much as she does now -- and I absolutely KNOW that in 30 years I'm going to be her if I don't do something NOW.
:eek: :( :cry:
Big straw... really big.

thirti4thirty
01-29-2014, 05:42 AM
I'm turning 30 this year. End of story.

AngelCOH
01-29-2014, 03:32 PM
I feel for Redonkulous & greenlights1 - I have the flesh apron, that disgustingly hangs down over my lady bits. Over recent months it has grown so big I had to ask for an extension belt on my recent flight to visit my husband. Thank the lord I was alone on my row and could cover it with my cardigan. I was just too mortified and in shock to cry.

I also hate that I cannot pull down the plane seat table in front of me and balance a drink there as my tummy gets in the way. If the seat next to me is free I use that otherwise I only drink bottled water instead of my fave G&T :(

LittleMissWarhead
04-11-2014, 01:19 PM
What happened with me was, there were so many factors already that made me decide to lose weight, but the final straw was when I fell in love. I fell for a guy who made it seem like he genuinely cared and accepted me, which I knew couldn't have been true due to the fact that he was like majorly thin and athletic. So sure enough, he broke up with me. A month after that I decide to message him and he randomly sends me a photo of his new girlfriend. NAKED. Random like that you know? And I played it cool. What happened after that was I just thought it was a slap in my face because she did happen to be thin and he wanted to make me feel insecure. It worked. Not only that incident but he used me to try to get to other girls. One night I was like "I always thought you were a handsome man, just look at you! You're perfect!" (after we broke up, still talking) and he literally said to me "Can I be honest with you, just don't get mad at me?" I said "Of course you can I want you to feel like you can always come to me and trust me to express yourself" he says "I think your friend is hotter than you. Sorry". Ladies let me tell you, it's a ****ing scar on me because it replays to me ever single day. So now I'm not giving the ****er the time of day when I reach my goal. I can't express how angry I still feel at that. No matter how nice he is to me, i can't let that go. I'm usually really forgiving and forgetful but that takes the cake. I'm doing this for my dignity, pride, and self esteem.

skintoskincombat
05-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Oh man....I think I finally was just fed up! My nosey old neighbor also told me that I was gaining weight and deep inside i knew it but It took someone actually saying something to get me in gear. I was already over weight and then I gained more weight from being in a relationship (like 10 pounds) but I had to catch it before it got REALLY out of hand. I didn't want to be that person who lets herself go once she finds someone. Also despite being overweight for 7 years I always had a waist but I started to lose it! I was getting bulky and losing my feminine figure:( Also when I started the thin girls in the kitchen I work in told me cutting carbs wasnt going to work and now that they know I lost 35 pounds they kiss my ***:) So I had to show them what was up:) 25 more to go until I'm back to 18 year old weight and under 20 more untill I'm not considered overweight anymore!

nitrus29
05-12-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm turning 30 this year. End of story.

^^^^ THIS !!!! I turned 30 last November and I just knew I had to do something about my weight, I spent my entire 20s as a fat girl, I wasn't going to let my 30s be dictated by my weight!!

plus it took a whole stack of straws in my case..
- this lady at work once told me to take some party leftovers home to the kids! I don't have kids, I didn't even have a husband.
- my friends would joke about my weight and I would ignore them like one time we went to this park where everyone was doing adventure sports like climbing and zip lining and my friends told me that I would not be able to do it, I'd just make excuses saying I wasn't up for trying it out anyway.
- This one time at 6 flags where the attendant told me they couldn't let me ride because the belt wouldn't fasten and I had to get out of the ride and my entire group of friends got out with me (I cried like a kid that day)
- the airplane seat belt wouldn't fasten and I would get too embarrassed to ask for an extension so I would just sit and pray for a safe flight (yes I never fastened that seat belt, the entire flight, I hid the belt under my jacket pretending it was clasped

The signs kept coming and I was in such denial about my weight I guess I decided to do something about it when it started threatening the future of my relationship. I got dumped for being overweight once, I didn't want to go through THAT again. No matter how big the ego, sometimes it's for the best to just listen, take charge and do something about it.

Needless to say, 50 lbs later, my colleagues keep complimenting my weight loss and so does everyone else on this super supportive website!! I don't need the extra seat belt in airplanes anymore, I went to 6 flags again and went on ALL the rides, I zip lined TWICE :)

si2017
12-15-2014, 05:26 AM
My straws:

STRECH MARKS. I have never had stretch marks in my entire life but they started this summer and are literally EVERYWHERE. Hips, arms, armpits, stomach, breasts, legs, calves, wtfwtfwtfwtfwtf MAKE IT STOP HOLY CRAP.

I am finding it impossible to make eye contact with men I find attractive because I feel like they might laugh at me. Which is insane because the last 3 guys I thought were attractive went *out of their way* to speak to me. But that's my internal thought stream. Gotta quit that.

When I am under stress I get the most acute chest pain. Most of my relatives have died of heart problems. This is terrifying to me.

Seeing that I'd crossed 200lbs on the scale and literally crying for 3 days.

Grimacing as I pass my reflection in the mirror.

Not wanting to be on dating sites because in order to be honest with men I'd need to take totally new photos that reflect my actual size.

...yep, that's my straw(s).