Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Medication (Synthroid) and IP

When I went for my consultation I was told not to take the vitamins at the same time as my medication for my thyroid - but I read on the internet that I have to wait 4 hours after taking my medication before I can take the protein. Has anyone heard that or can I take my protein shortly after my medication, I normally take my medication at 5:30am and eat my IP oatmeal at 6:15am, should I be waiting until 9:30am to eat????
df1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/158.3/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1960 View Post
When I went for my consultation I was told not to take the vitamins at the same time as my medication for my thyroid - but I read on the internet that I have to wait 4 hours after taking my medication before I can take the protein. Has anyone heard that or can I take my protein shortly after my medication, I normally take my medication at 5:30am and eat my IP oatmeal at 6:15am, should I be waiting until 9:30am to eat????
I also take thyroid medicine and was given the same advice. I have just adjusted my times. I take my IP supplements in the morning and take my thyroid medicine at night before I go to bed. So far, that has worked for me. Hope this helps.
rox824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/188/125

Height: 5'0"

That is correct - 4 hrs. I take Snthyroid and cytomel 2x/day. I just started a week ago and am still trying to work out a good schedule. I feel like I'm taking pills all day. I have to wait 4 after cytomel too - so it's hard to fit it all in.

And yesterday I choked - I mean really choked - on my supplements and I'm now scared to take them again. But I know I have to.
slickmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox824 View Post
I also take thyroid medicine and was given the same advice. I have just adjusted my times. I take my IP supplements in the morning and take my thyroid medicine at night before I go to bed. So far, that has worked for me. Hope this helps.
I've been taking my thyroid medicine in the morning for 10 years and if I happen to miss it or take it later than usual I feel terrible, so i don't think I can change my time..... and waiting until 9:00am to have breakfast when I get up at 5:00am, I'm pretty confused about this. What to do????
Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #5  
ALM
Started IP 12/01/2010

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/175

Height: 5ft 5"

I take my synthyroid at night as well. Too many rules to try and take it in the morning!! It was a fairly easy adjustment for me and didn't really change anything with my levels.
ALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/158.3/145

Quote:
I've been taking my thyroid medicine in the morning for 10 years and if I happen to miss it or take it later than usual I feel terrible, so i don't think I can change my time..... and waiting until 9:00am to have breakfast when I get up at 5:00am, I'm pretty confused about this. What to do????
What time do you go to bed? Talk to your doctor and see if you can take two in one day, one in the morning and one before bedtime, then you would be able to take them in the evening on days after that. I hope you figure this out because waiting until 9 for breakfast sounds like torture!
rox824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

It is the calcium containing vitamins that you need to wait the 4 hours on. I just don't take the calcium till after noon. I take all the others whenever. Usually try to take the omega 3 one in the morning to get it over with
in4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222.1/206.9/140

Height: 5'6"

I take my thyroid medication at night before bed as well. I would never remember to take it when I first got up in the morning, so nighttime seemed better for me. I take my supplements with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so my snack at night has no supplements that might interfere with my medications at bedtime. My snack at night is usually 1-2 hours before I go to bed.
CC Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #9  
Started IP Dec 4, 2010

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I also wake up very early (5am) and get my meds and first sets of vitamines in the morning (5:30 am with breakfast and lots of water). I know you are not suppose to do it like this but I tried to change it to nighttime and I felt awefull for the full week that I changed it. I went back to what works. I know this is going against everything said here but that's what I do and it works for me.
Josephine216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4life View Post
It is the calcium containing vitamins that you need to wait the 4 hours on. I just don't take the calcium till after noon. I take all the others whenever. Usually try to take the omega 3 one in the morning to get it over with
Ditto me too. It is only the calcium that needs to be spaced from the levothyroxine.

Last edited by serendipityberry; 01-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #11  

is it just the vitamins that I need to wait 4 hours after taking my synthroid, or is it the protein packets.
Can I take my synthroid at 5:30 am and have an IP oatmeal at 6:15am.... or do I need to wait until 9:30am to eat my IP oatmeal. I'm confused by some of the replies. Sorry about sounding dumb, but I'm trying to do this right. thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/210/180

I think the most important thing is to read the information that comes with your synthyroid prescription. My Rx says that it is to be taken first thing in the morning which is also when my endocrinologist says to take it. I take mine first thing in the am (I sit it out of the bottle in a special place so I can look and know that I have taken it) then I have my protein about 8 or 9. I drink a shake in the morning so it is an on the go type breakfast. I take all my supplements at night before going to bed.
Hope that helps.
wuc1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #13  
ALM
Started IP 12/01/2010

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/175

Height: 5ft 5"

Quote:
is it just the vitamins that I need to wait 4 hours after taking my synthroid, or is it the protein packets.
Can I take my synthroid at 5:30 am and have an IP oatmeal at 6:15am.... or do I need to wait until 9:30am to eat my IP oatmeal. I'm confused by some of the replies. Sorry about sounding dumb, but I'm trying to do this right. thanks
I don't know about the packets themselves but I was always told to take the meds a half hour before eating or one hour after eating.
ALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Quote:
Here's the deal. You can take your Synthroid whenever you want. The important thing is that you are consistent. If you regularly take it with food, then your dosing should be regulated for being taken with food (likely the dose will need to be higher). If you take it on an empty stomach, and your dose is regulated that way, then you should continue to take it that way. Consistency is the only requirement. The pill jars all say to take it in the am on an empty stomach and that is simply to be the most consistent as far as regulating your TSH levels. My doc was always clear, if you take your pill in the am with breakfast--fine--just do it that way every day.

Food, calcium, and iron naturally decrease the absorbtion of Synthroid so if your TSH levels are regulated and then you start taking calcium or iron, you should spread those out by 4 hrs. What would happen if you didn't? Your TSH may rise and your dose might have to be increased.

So....do you normally eat food with your Synthroid? If not, take your pill at 5:30 and then eat your IP packet at 6:15, that is totally fine! Then take your supplements at noon and supper time!
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

I take my synthroid in the morning before breakfast. 30 minutes later I have my IP packet, then supplements after lunch and dinner. It has worked great for me. I went for a complete bloodwork about 12 weeks after I started IP . Not only all my levels (cjholesterol, triglicerids and the like) were within normal range, my synthroid was adjusted to a lower level. I'm having blood drawn in two weeks to see how my thryroid levels are to determine if I should go lower, increase or stay in the current dose. Whatever pattern you choose, my advise is to ask your doctor for a blood test more often to see how your thyroid levels are.
Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote