Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #1  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Default salad dressings, Atkins bars, etc

Hello everyone. I am new to Atkins. From what I have read we can have full fat dressings. I have been having and measuring my dressing (yogurt Blue cheese).

also does anyone eat the Atkins bars? I have been on a very restrictive (800 calories 20 total carbs) diet since September and I love having the bars once a day, just before I workout. Wondering what everyone's take is on them.

Also I don't see anything about peanut butter on any of the phase sheets. Is it allowed?

Thanks

Last edited by darbs7; 01-21-2011 at 01:15 PM.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Atkins bars and other processed foods are discouraged because they have ingredients that are not acceptable, especially on Induction. One every once in a while should be okay but try to avoid them as much as you can. I wouldn't eat more than one per week, if that many at all. They might stall your weight loss so I'd suggest adding them in slowly and if you see a stall cut them down or out completely.

Peanut butter is not allowed on Induction. If you're on Induction for more than 2 weeks (extended Induction) the following nuts can be added in: almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, hulled sunflower seeds, macadamias, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts. If I recall correctly, Dr. Atkins recommended macadamias and almonds as the best nuts. Peanuts are considered more of a legume than a nut and are quite carby so they're not added in until much later. If you must have peanut butter, make sure it's organic without any added sugar and don't eat more than a tablespoon or two.

Full-fat dressings are allowed and even encouraged! Make sure to count the carbs and check for acceptable ingredients.

The best thing to do is just see what works for you. If you haven't read the book yet, then I suggest reading any copy dated (2002 or before? someone correct me if I'm wrong) because those were written by Dr. Atkins himself. The best thing to do is just experiment--things that stall some may not stall others. When researching about the bars a while back I read about people who ate them a lot and still lost weight, while others could stall just by looking at them. Good luck!

Last edited by Linsy; 01-22-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Linsy covered it Just wanted to add make sure your salad dressing is no more than 1g carb per T, that is the limit. It is near impossible to find salad dressing without added sugar, so that is Dr Atkins' rule. Just to minimize sugar as best as you can.

There is a discussion going on about the bars, if you look in this forum for a recent thread talking about junk foods. There is a post by JerseyGirl with a very informative link. Atkins bars are not something I would personally use, but I know many people use them successfully enough.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #4  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I make my own salad dressing. I start with mayonaise. I add hot water to give it the desired thickness. I use different seasonings for different flavors. My most common is using the ranch dressing mix, jalepeno powder, and coarse ground pepper. But you can make whatever flavor you like. I use the water because it keeps it useable for a good while.

As far as the Atkins bars, I avoid them altogether.
Welcome to Atkins! by the way. Looks like you are doing a great job

Last edited by islandchick1; 01-21-2011 at 07:09 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Another great way to make dressings is to buy packets that call for milk and mayo, and then replace the milk with one part heavy cream and one part water. There's no difference in taste.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I used to use salad dressings, but years ago I was introduced to the pleasure of eating a salad dressed just with extra-virgin olive oil, cracked pepper and salt, even before Atkins was on my radar screen. That became one of my staples, even when I was eating low-fat. Since then, I've replaced the salt with grated parm.

Anyway, if you have never tried it that way, you might like it. It's very easy and if you use salt instead of parm there's no carbs. Using olive oil infused with herbs like rosemary is even nicer (though I don't know if that would make much difference when using parm instead of salt).

If you are choosing to eat avacado anyway, you can also use dabs of avacado/guacamole to help dress the salad.

And lots of folks use the traditional oil and vinegar which is also carb-free, as long as you do not use balsamic vinegar (which has added sugar).
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #7  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone. I will cut the bars out all together. I am not doing induction...just going up the ladder. I have spent the last 17 weeks in super induction on Ideal Protein...about 10 or less net carbs with 750-800 calories...only super lean meats, low carb veggies. I have been eating my own homemade dressing with evoo and vinegar for all 17 weeks so I am enjoying something different for awhile. I will stay away from the peanut butter too.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote