General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

Cool People who try to sabotage your weight loss

Ok rant here.

I am tired telling people that I do not want this or that on my plate. It is as if it is an insult if I will not eat like them. What is wrong with eating healthy anyway. Remove the part about loosing weight what is wrong with eating fresh, unfried, unprocessed food.

I get comments such as:

You are skinny enough, how much more weight do you want to loose. My bmi is 29 that is not skinny at all, acceptable maybe compared to what it was but not healthy enough as far as I am concerned.

You are not fun anymore, you dont drink. It is not the glass of wine that I use to drink that made me a party animal LOL, actually I have more fun watching them getrpting drunk. Beside rather have a bowl of fruits instead.

You are not planning on eating like that for the rest of your life. What is wrong with vegetable, fruits, etc. I love chips but they are not worthed too much work walking them off.

Eat this cake you can restart your diet tomorrow. Hello did you liste n one word I said no thank you.

Thank God my husband is on my side and tell people to mind their business that he loves the way we took care of his digestive problems.

Do you have people like that in your life
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Totally! My inlaws! They used to tell me I didnt need to lose anymore when I wasn't in my healthy weight range yet. They have sabataged me in the past but I don't talk about losing weight with them anymore. I just know they'll push their desserts harder on me if I do. I don't know why they care so much anyway.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

How did you get 29 as your bmi? I looked up what your current weight and height is (according to your profile) and got 25.75. It's still overweight but barely. Just saying ...

And yes, I do have people who try to get me to eat more or have waiters who seem really irritated to provide me with nutrition info (one of my blog posts talked about that topic). It sucks when people aren't supportive and especially when you hit your goal weight and they assume now you should be able to eat whatever you want. I can't help but laugh when the people telling me what to do/eat are super overweight themselves. Really?! If you're struggling with being overweight I'm probably not looking to them for eating tips.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/214/130

Height: 5"2

I lost 50 lbs in 2007 and my husband liked that but he would tell me i was no fun because i didnt want to eat the things we used to. So here i am again weighing more than i did before and when im doing good he will be like lets go to the movies or order a pizza......
Linn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #5  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

I have people like that in my life, but I don't think they are aware it bothers me sometimes. They will comment on how thin I am and how I look good already, no need to go further. Which I think is meant as a complement, but when said on a daily basis is rather annoying. Also when I'm trying to eat healthy or stick with my diet plan, somehow I always get handed stuff I definitely DON'T want and am told things like "you can have just a little!"

You just have to learn there are people who are going to be like that and you just have to do what YOU want.
JennieLovesKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Food pushers and saboteurs are everywhere, hiding in the bushes, out to get us. If we "falter" it makes them feel better about themselves in some strange messed up way.

I haven't yet, but one day I'm sure I'll explode and say "if I eat that donut I'll look like you" to someone and get sued for a hate crime.

Our business is our business. My body my choice. Etc.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

My sister! I love her and she is my best friend but she has been a size 2 since she was a teenager and she loves to eat. We live together and the last time I was home she was soo difficult. We try to eat dinner together every night but I have to make my own meal which was usually some lean meat or fish, miso soup and veggies. She would look at my plate and instead of being encouraging she would just go on and on about how can I eat that and she needs more food than that or how my food doesn't look delicious. She also really likes to order take out. We usually had sushi 3 times a week. When I decided to cut back on the take out, I would still offer to pick up food for her but she would totally start a guilt trip saying she just won't eat anything and make sad faces and look longingly at menus until I gave in and ordered food too.
I love her to death but she is BAD for my diet!
Dee SoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #8  

I guess we all have saboteurs in our lives but the difference for me this time round is that it is not working, instead of caving in it makes me more determine to continue.

I made a typo for the bmi you are right it is 26 yep slightly overweight nothing to scream about but me being let s say petite instead of short LOL I want to go down a little more to have a buffer zone for when I hit the maintenance phase. Beside I have hips and a behind that need a little more work.

As far as nutrition advises I get from them, it would be ok to have 2 glass of wine per meal. My biggest adviser takes pills for high blood pressure, diabete and always have a good excuse for starting her diet next week and eat more because it might be her last meal.

Anyway still love of them and whenever they decide to lose weight I Will be there for them, encouraging softly rhe way I wish they would for me.

Thanks for your comments they made me smile.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoodles View Post
I can't help but laugh when the people telling me what to do/eat are super overweight themselves. Really?! If you're struggling with being overweight I'm probably not looking to them for eating tips.
THIS, so much. I find it hilarious that it's always the people who obviously know jack about healthy eating, nutrition and exercise that have the loudest mouths when it comes to it. And try to tell me that I'M being unhealthy. Apparently I'm not a "real woman" because I don't have rolls of fat or something? Because I can generally keep control over what and how much I eat?

Sorry, I can't hear you through the Big Mac being stuffed down your throat xD
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #10  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
THIS, so much. I find it hilarious that it's always the people who obviously know jack about healthy eating, nutrition and exercise that have the loudest mouths when it comes to it. And try to tell me that I'M being unhealthy. Apparently I'm not a "real woman" because I don't have rolls of fat or something? Because I can generally keep control over what and how much I eat?

Sorry, I can't hear you through the Big Mac being stuffed down your throat xD
I only partly agree. I am overweight and yet, I know a WHOLE LOT about healthy eating, nutrition, and exercise. I struggle to put into practice what I know, but that doesn't take away the fact that I do know what I'm talking about (most of the time!).

I try not to discuss my, or others, eating habits because, frankly, it's none of my business what other people eat, and it's none of their business what I eat. But don't always judge a book by its cover!
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #11  

I think that the comments about overweight people that give advice is aimed at people that have unhealty eating habits, such as my friend, that drinks and eats without any control. My trainer that as far as I am concerned gives me the best advices in the world is bigger than me. You are right about not judging too fast.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #12  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I haven't yet, but one day I'm sure I'll explode and say "if I eat that donut I'll look like you" to someone and get sued for a hate crime.
Have I ever told you how much I f*love your posts, krampus?

Food-pushers are obnoxious, yes. Fortunately, common decency and assault-and-battery laws prevent them from literally cramming stuff into your mouth, but they can be devilishly persistent.

If you're bold enough, one thing that usually works is telling the offending pusher just how that heavy dip or frosted cake or whatever will affect your lower gastrointestinal system. Be detailed. Be graphic. Use the phrase "looked like a Jackson Pollock painting." Not only will they not bring it up again, they'll probably put down their own food in horror.

If you want to be more genteel, a simple, "No thank you, my doctor has recommended that I stick to my current plan, but I appreciate the offer" usually does the trick. People tend to lay off when you invoke medical advice.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #13  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

LOL - My Mother!! She goes to Puerto Rico for vacation, comes back and tells me how thin I am beginning to look and hands me a 16oz hersey bar. The people at work LOVED it!!

I also get from my sister, "You are such a party pooper, you don't drink, yoiu don't eat what we make, you are no fun." needless to say, her and her family are one of my motivators to eat healthy. I was over there one day and she was making cheese stuffed hamburgers and each hamburger had to have been a pound and a half of meat easy. It actually nauseated me.

Krampus you crack me up!!!
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

I agree with fatmac, i'm overweight but i spin 4 times a week, eat healthy and am in Weight Watchers. I know you probably mean the unhealthy people but i learned from my trainer that you can be an "unhealthy skinny" as opposed to a "healthy heavier".

I just don't care for generalized comments as having a weight issue all my life!

And to the original poster, yes my sabatour is my boyfriend at times, not intentioally but he does!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I want to carry cards with something written on them. I will hand these cards out liberally. The cards will say:

"No, I don't want to have any of that. Really. I don't. Disclaimer: My disinclination to eat it should not be taken as a judgment on your decision to eat it, or on your body mass index, or your cooking skills, or the fine discriminatory sense of your palate. My refusing to eat it, while you do eat it, should not fill you with self-doubt. It should not jeopardize our relationship. Your insistence on my eating it in the face of my refusal WILL, however, potentially jeopardize our relationship. Please do not hound me, as I will not reconsider. Please do not ruin this occasion by making this all about food. It really isn't."
saef is offline   Reply With Quote