Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

Default Changing Bra Size Advice

So I have been obsessive for years about measuring myself regularly to make sure that I am wearing the right size bra. Before I began losing weight in October, I was in a 44C. And based on my measurements and the professional measurement (from Lane Bryant, only decent local option I know of for larger bras), I'm currently between a 38DD/DDD and a 40D/DD. I've been wearing a 40D from a different brand the last couple days, and I noticed it is still kind of riding up somewhat in back, even on the smallest band setting. But the cups are maybe just barely too small, but whatever spillover there may be isn't noticable at all under any shirt I own.

So today I tried on a 38DDD from LB and the cup size fits perfectly, but the band is a little extra tight. I am a poor student so growing down out of my clothes is kind of problematic at the moment! I want to get a bra that I can wear comfortably for the longest amount of time, maybe up to 2 - 3 months, but I'm a little nervous about committing to a particular size at the moment. I'm pretty sure that although my band measurement has shrunk around 5 inches, the cup size has barely budged. I guess that's a good thing?? According to my measurements, the total bust measurement has decreased fairly steadily, about 2 inches down in 4 months.

What have you guys done to keep in a comfortable and flattering bra without going broke from changing them all the time while you've lost weight? Would you go for the smallest band / cup size combination with the assumption that as you lose more weight they will probably be the right size for you soon, even if not necessarily at the same time for both the band and cup size? :P While writing this I was also thinking about the extenders that I have seen for the hooks. Do you think those would be a good solution to help bridge the gap between the two band sizes?
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

You could buy the smaller one and use a band extender until you don't need it. They probably sell them at Lane Bryant and i've seen them at sewing stores.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #3  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I wear sports bras all the time. I feel they are supportive front and back. They are also quite forgiving.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #4  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

The fact that the band on your new bra is tight isn't a problem. Bands should be almost uncomfortably tight on the loosest setting. After a few wears, it will stretch to fit a bit more comfortably. You need it very snug in order to support your breasts - this is where your support should be coming from, not from the straps. As you lose weight and as the bra gets older and the elastic starts to stretch, you will be able to move it in to the tighter settings. This is the way to get the best wear out of your bras. Whatever your under breast measurement is - that should be your starting point for choosing your band size. Don't add the three or four inches that so many bra sizers will tell you to add. They have you add this in order to sell you a smaller cup size, so they can fit a wider range of women into a smaller range of sizes, so they can carry less inventory.

This is a great article about how a bra should really fit. http://www.getbras.com/bras/how-to-find-the-perfect-fit
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #5  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
The fact that the band on your new bra is tight isn't a problem. Bands should be almost uncomfortably tight on the loosest setting. After a few wears, it will stretch to fit a bit more comfortably. You need it very snug in order to support your breasts - this is where your support should be coming from, not from the straps. As you lose weight and as the bra gets older and the elastic starts to stretch, you will be able to move it in to the tighter settings. This is the way to get the best wear out of your bras. Whatever your under breast measurement is - that should be your starting point for choosing your band size. Don't add the three or four inches that so many bra sizers will tell you to add. They have you add this in order to sell you a smaller cup size, so they can fit a wider range of women into a smaller range of sizes, so they can carry less inventory.

This is a great article about how a bra should really fit. http://www.getbras.com/bras/how-to-find-the-perfect-fit

This!!!

Having been pretty much every cup and band size from a 36A to a 44J since I was 10years old, I consider myself a bit of a "brexpert," jk! But seriously, it is normal for a bra that is your band size to fit almost uncomfortably tight the first couple of wears. It stretches out after that and gets wayyyy more comfortable. Don't be fooled into buying the very comfy in-store bra, it'll stretch and then you'll discover the band is too big for you and rides up your back by which time you've already washed your $50 dollar bra and can no longer return it. It's happened to me several times.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to comment. I am heading into this problem as well. I believe I am still the same cup size F or G but have gone from a 44 to a 39. I need new bras, but want to wear the ones I have for a while longer since I am still loosing. I was thinking that if the band is too tight, that is not good either. I will have to rethink my sizing and may have to take the above advice. Is it my imagination though....if feels like the smaller band in the same cup size still feels smaller (cup wise) shouldn't the cup size stay the same but smaller band??? Any who, I hate bra shopping.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalksalot View Post
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to comment. I am heading into this problem as well. I believe I am still the same cup size F or G but have gone from a 44 to a 39. I need new bras, but want to wear the ones I have for a while longer since I am still loosing. I was thinking that if the band is too tight, that is not good either. I will have to rethink my sizing and may have to take the above advice. Is it my imagination though....if feels like the smaller band in the same cup size still feels smaller (cup wise) shouldn't the cup size stay the same but smaller band??? Any who, I hate bra shopping.

Definitely get a tight band! It can and will loosen up with wear (you should actually just barely get the band on, on the largest hook because it'll stretch out over time and then you can continue to tighten it up). Actually, if it just barely doesn't fit you can always use an extender for a short period of tight to extend the life of the bra.

One thing that is important to realize is that the cup size depends on the band size (if you want to see a technical explanation see here). Basically if you have a 36C cup that's equivalent to a 34D volume (but obviously with a smaller band).

If you want any fitting help let me know... What is your underbust (measured tightly!) and your bust measurement? You can also look here for fitting advice.

And if you want info about buy bras while losing weight see here.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote