Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Default Skinny Fat-I think that's what they call it!

So here I am, down to 116 lbs from 250! Great right?! Yes, life is overall good. But my issue is, I'm pretty sure I'm skinny fat. The loose skin looks like pizza dough that's about to get hand tossed off my tummy and bum. I'm not enjoying it too much. Tummy tucks aren't an option for lil ol' me. However, on a lighter note, I recently discovered support hose and they seem to help out a little. I just HATE the appearance of the "muffin top" i have due to the loose skin. I know my pants are not too tight, if anything, they are still a little loose, but without the support hose, I just sort of hang there!!

Am I alone in this?
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

No! You are not alone!!!! I ahve this exact same problem. Solutions?.... Anyone? I can't/won't do surgery (at least not anytime soon and by the time I'm ready, I'll be too old to worry about it anymore lol).
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

I have this problem too. I wear a flexees w.y.o.b. torsette body shaper. It really helps with minimizing the loose skin muffin top.
morphomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Two different things could be contributing to the "skinny fat" problem: loose skin, and lack of muscle. Short of surgery, little can be done about loose skin. It will either "snap back" in time, or not: whether it does is a function of your age and genetics more than anything else.

When people usually talk about skinny-fat, though, they're describing a different problem, namely that the person lost (or never had) muscle mass in addition to the fat. This can be addressed by lifting weights, which all women should be doing anyway to help combat the loss in bone density that occurs as we age.

There is oodles and oodles of information about weight training on the web, much of it pretty bad. A great place to start is Krista Scott Dixon's site, stumptuous.com. Krista provides straightforward, accurate information about how to structure your training without wasting your time or spending lots of money. The site is geared toward women, and much of it toward women who are a touch frightened of lifting weights. And, better still, there are no sales pitches or "you must buy this supplement or that piece of workout equipment."

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Wow, Guam, and you just had a baby, didn't you? Good job.

Yes, I'd describe parts of my body as closely resembling pizza dough, but three days a week of weight training has made quite a difference, particularly over the past two months. I didn't see much change at first, but within the last four or five weeks, it's really become noticeable, even with my clothes on.

But yeah, I still have loose skin, and I suspect I'm a bit too old & was heavy a bit too long for it tighten up without surgical intervention. Which, heck, I'm just too cheap to pay for.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #6  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post

There is oodles and oodles of information about weight training on the web, much of it pretty bad. A great place to start is Krista Scott Dixon's site, stumptuous.com. Krista provides straightforward, accurate information about how to structure your training without wasting your time or spending lots of money. The site is geared toward women, and much of it toward women who are a touch frightened of lifting weights. And, better still, there are no sales pitches or "you must buy this supplement or that piece of workout equipment."

//b. strong,
Kim
Thanks. I favourited the website last month and didn't take the time to look beyond the blogs.
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Darn! I was so hoping that carrying a newborn and a carseat would be the only weight training I would need! I kid I kid.

I must confess, weight training is my LEAST favorite part of working out. But once I can get a schedule going, and I get comfortable with my new lifestyle of having a newborn, I'll give it a try. In the mean time, I'll try not to focus on the bad, but more on the good and the success I've received.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciated it! And Saef, YOU STILL ROCK! It's so good to hear from you!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Yes, I was also going to say didn't you just have a baby???? It will take a good 6 - 12 months for that to tighten up. And unfortunately what doesn't tighten is loose skin.

I have to say, I am SOOOO impressed by your weight so soon after giving birth. You are my inspiration. I'm hoping to another child within the next few years and having gained 50 lbs durning my first pregnancy I am needless to say TERRIFIED of gaining weight and then having to lose it. Anyway congrats to you and your family and I wish you all the luck as you embark on this new journey of parenthood!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #9  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I've got it too. I am trying to make peace with it. I had 3 large babies over 20 years ago and it has been a problem since whenever I've been at a lower weight. Weight training does make some difference, but some things just won't be the same again. I remember a personal trainer I had years ago (a woman) told me bluntly, without surgery, there isn't too much you can do about the lower "dough" on your tummy. She was right, even though I hated to hear it.

I am older and bikinis and tube tops aren't in my future. I feel bad for you younger girls though. I know exactly how you feel.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 139/?

Height: 5'9.5

I found a solution! Google super skinny me (it's a website) Then go to their search engine and pop in skinny fat. They tell you exactly what to do (it's not a sales pitch) to combat 'skinny fat'.

Sorry, I can't post links yet
GirlMeetsPearls is offline   Reply With Quote