Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Does it bum you out?

Does it bum you out to see people hit there goal and then dissappear off the boards? I miss a lot of familar people that I haven't seen be too active since they hit goal.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #2  

When they hit the goals, they gain what they want, then gone
rosababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Maybe some regain or think they don't need the board any longer?
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Since I've reached my goal, I find that my focus has changed more to overall better eating, fitness, strength training, etc. So I spend a lot more time on paleo related and powerlifting forums. I think it's natural and good to shift focus to overall health related things once your metabolic arrangements have been improved.

I still check in on this site though. It's a good reminder to myself that I still need to focus on maintenance/weight loss or else I could slip back to my old way of life.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #5  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

True, they go to gain some muscle. Or they go to regain the weight.

I won't be leaving any of the weight loss forums I'm on. Both times I regained some weight I was away from 3 fat chicks, sparkpeople, etc. It was easier to avoid the weight regain because I didn't have to log anything.

For my sake, I'll keep coming back. For the sake of others who need support, guidance, and motivation, I'll keep coming back. It works out for everyone if we stick around.
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I've seen a lot of folks disappear, and I miss some of them. I don't think all of them have regained weight! At least I hope not.

I think in the natural course of things, 3FC's forum section is new and exciting and helpful when one is starting out on weight loss. What a great place to get answers to questions and help and understanding!

But also, after awhile you have seen every question that could ever be asked many many times, and it's not new or as exciting anymore. You pretty much know all the pitfalls people face and how they do and do not get out of them, and you've seen it time and again.

Also, as someone who lost and has now regained some, I don't find as much support here as I did when I initially was losing weight. It's a "been there, done that" effect. I don't get much out of the Weight Loss Support forum--nothing against the folks posting there, but the majority are new folks excited about their big drop the first week, etc., and I just can't get excited about that now.

For people like me, perhaps a "Regainers" forum or thread might be useful. A place where those who, like me, never ever thought they would regain, but did anyway, can talk about their thoughts, attempts, new strategies, etc.

But, on the other hand, nothing lasts forever, and sometimes it is just time to move on...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-20-2011 at 07:19 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Online support is wonderful. But so is face-to-face support.

Maybe some of those people have found people, other than those online, who now support them?

Good for them!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #8  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

I find that I develop relationships with online people over time,
and helping them reach their weight goals
helps me with my Maintenance.

But, it is true for me as well, that I often feel sad when
those people simply disappear,
because the one's support system used for weight-loss
is also an excellent one for maintenance.

On a personal (and rather selfish) note, once they get to goal,
having maintainers in my own support system is helpful to me
in maintaining my own weight.
This causes me to feel that they don't value helping me,
and when it happens over and over,
it results in making me less interested in helping others reach their goals.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I've stuck around since goal was met! I like to see other people's progress. The thing that bums me out is those who have commented on my Success Story saying they can't wait to be at goal, and yet most have disappeared.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
For people like me, perhaps a "Regainers" forum or thread might be useful.
I think that's what the Operation 5-10 thread was intended to be...
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #11  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

A Regainers Thread would be a good read (not in a bad way). I want to know what pitfalls and signs point towards an imminent relapse and eventual regain. We all say we won't regain, so I need to know why it goes wrong.

At the very least, it would be a place where regainers could come out of hiding and not feel ashamed. Then maintainers could learn what not to do while regainers get support as they work back to goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
I think that's what the Operation 5-10 thread was intended to be...
I thought she meant 'regain', as in 10-15lbs or more. To me, 5-10 is a relapse. Get back on track and the weight will settle down. Regain: you'll return to weight loss and your goal is months away.

Last edited by Heavenseventeen; 01-20-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Commented on the quote
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #12  
Meg

Anyone is welcome to start a Regainers thread. Forums and subforums are born from active threads, so give it a go.

I think it's a great idea and might bring some of our old members out of the woodwork. As the mod here, I try to contact members who have been absent for a while and often it's due to embarrassment about a regain. If they were able to see that it happens to so many of us, then perhaps they wouldn't feel shy or ashamed about their issues. It's always easier knowing that others are in the same boat and share ideas and strategies.

As we all know, maintenance is a lifetime project and for many of us, there are twists and turns in the road. So long as we never quit trying, we've never failed.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #13  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Operation 5-10 may have started out as 5-10 for some people, but plenty of people (myself included) have worked on gains of 15lbs, 20lbs, or more. As opposed to the featherweights forum, the people on Op 5-10 thread tend to be mostly long term maintainers dealing with regains rather than people who are just trying to lose a few more pounds.

Of course people are welcome to start another thread for regainers, I just figured I should point out that we already had one.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #14  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

A regainers thread is a fabulous idea. I have just gotten to goal (been here for a month) and weigh myself every day to check that I have not regained. But I must say, regaining is a cloud that hangs over my head.........
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #15  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I feel disappointed and saddened when anyone I've come to know disappears! If they haven't yet reached goal it usually means they've gained it back. If they have reach goal, I bet it just mean this place has run its course for them.

I personally plan to stick around, but I bet will post less and less frequently. That's already happening. Like Jay said, after a while the posts get redundant and there are only so many times I can say the same thing over and over. I admire the people who can.

I've been inspired, kicked, and loved by so many here. I'd like to return the favor.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote