100 lb. Club - Selective Purging

View Full Version : Selective Purging

doinit200
01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
A girlfriend and me were recently having a conversation about eating and diet and I casual mention, that sometimes I eat so much and feel so full I wish I could just puke it up. Then she tells me how she taught herself how to do it and she is glad she did. Because sometimes she just eats too much and she has to get it out. She does it maybe once every two months and she is sure it will never be a habit because she says it's just really disgusting; the burning, the bad breath the feeling.

I know this is a touchy subject because of eating disorders but I don't view this as the same thing. Just because you drink doesn't make you an alcoholic and puking occasionally doesn't make you a bulimic. Anyway, is this a common frame of mind, is it normal to get it out occasionally instead of going through the painful process of digesting all that food?:?:

nelie
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Uhh... that is definitely bullimia and definitely disordered eating.

lottie63
01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
This sounds like something you're considering.

I'd definitely not recommend it.

Also, it is definitely disordered behavior. Just because you binge and purge selectively does not mean you don't have an eating disorder.

Maybe not bulimia, but perhaps eating disorder not otherwise specified?

Also, you can have a 'problem' with alcohol and not be quite yet an alcoholic.

Also, she can't say it would never be a habit. Certainty is something I usually don't believe in. We can't know that our attitudes won't change down the line, that it won't start to seem easier (which it most likely will), and that her physiological response to binging won't worsen. (aka, binging to reach that phsyiological 'peak', then needing more and more to get to that same place. This has to do with dopamine.) We aren't nearly as in control of our bodies as we think we are.

If we were, we wouldn't be overweight. No one wants to get to where most of us have gotten.

When I broke 200 I KNEW, with certainty, that I wasn't going to again more weight.

Then I hit 299.

Coondocks
01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Anyway, is this a common frame of mind, is it normal to get it out occasionally instead of going through the painful process of digesting all that food?:?:

No, not normal, not healthy, not ok.
Experience teaches you that eating that amount (whatever amount it is) is too much and you are going to have that full, sick feeling. Expecting different is silly.
But to have the idea in your head that you can 'get it out' through purging, not healthy, not good and setting you up for it to be a more frequent occurance.

doinit200
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Honestly I am considering it, but I do realize there is potential to get into a very unhealthy place if I started it. I put it in the same mind frame as when you drink too much you just need to get it out to feel better, instead of allowing your liver to process all that alcohol. I also know that part of the lesson is living with that food/alcohol hangover so that you learn from the behavior and don't repeat.

There used to be a time when that uncomfortable sometimes painful feeling from overeating was welcomed. When I was depressed the binging refocused the pain to something more physical. I no longer enjoy feeling the pains of binging and is part of the reason why the idea of selective purging is a consideration.

Eliana
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Do a little research on what it does to the body. I don't have any info or I'd post it, but it can't be good.

This is definitely disordered thinking. I admit I've thought about it, but I have an addictive personality. It's very easy for me to slip into the "I ate 300 calories I better work off 300 calories" mentality.

Losing weight is about health. Would you recommend purging to a loved one? A daughter perhaps? If the answer is no, then it is not healthy. :no:

Trazey34
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
ugh it sounds disgusting! MAKING yourself barf because you ate too much - I'd do the hard work to find out WHY you/she gorged yourself, not toy with the idea of purging! I think it's a super dangerous road to start down, not to mention just plain gross.

lottie63
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Honestly I am considering it, but I do realize there is potential to get into a very unhealthy place if I started it. I put it in the same mind frame as when you drink too much you just need to get it out to feel better, instead of allowing your liver to process all that alcohol. I also know that part of the lesson is living with that food/alcohol hangover so that you learn from the behavior and don't repeat.

There used to be a time when that uncomfortable sometimes painful feeling from overeating was welcomed. When I was depressed the binging refocused the pain to something more physical. I no longer enjoy feeling the pains of binging and is part of the reason why the idea of selective purging is a consideration.

This is tragic to me.

You no longer enjoy the feeling of the pains of binging, don't binge.

c_laura
01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I confess I've done it a number of times.

but: I do have disordered eating and I know it isn't ok, it isn't a habit I want to continue and I work everyday to remind myself that being healthy is the way to go and as Trazey34 mentioned the real issue is why you would over eat to the point of pain in the first place.

Take it from me...please.

Don't go down that route. It doesn't lead to anywhere pleasant or healthy.

mdchick88
01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I recently learned that, with purging, you lose maybe 25% of the calories you just consumed (I don't remember the exact percentage, but it was around 25). So without going into whether or not it's healthy (no need for me to echo the wise words posted above), it's really not practical. With all of the negatives, and only an insignificant loss of calories, not worth it.

sacha
01-18-2011, 04:32 PM
No, drinking once in a while does not make one an alcoholic.

However, an alcoholic having a drink once in a while WILL relapse.

Do you have a good, healthy relationship with food?

No, I doubt it - if you binge, you are considering this purging, and have been very overweight.

So you are actually the alcoholic - wondering if you can just have one drink once in a while? Sound familiar? What would you say to an alcoholic who had that plan?

You would be horrified and expect relapse into addiction and other disordered behaviour.

lottie63
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Sacha, you are spot on.

I was in this group therapy thing with a bulimic girl.

She was well over 300 lbs.

She hadn't lost weight, and she had been around that weight for a long time, had also been bulimic a long time.

If you're asking our opinion, you probably already know the answer.

There is no easy fix.

ChrissyBean
01-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Ohhh, just think what'd it'd do to your TEETH. :(

Don't do it.

Shannon in ATL
01-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Don't do it. The I'll only do it once easily becomes I'll only do it once this week, or I'll only do it once today. It will control you. Don't start.

MariaMaria
01-18-2011, 04:42 PM
You know, most of us "get it out" through the built-in elimination process, not by making ourselves throw up.

PinkHoodie
01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree with others, this really screams to me of someone that doesn't have a healthy relationship with food. I would be more interested in exploring that, then trying to figure out how to over eat and somehow make it ok.
I had the flu yesterday and couldn't even keep water down...I have never been so sick. I kept think about how do bulmic's do this? I would cry every time I would throw up because its a horrible feeling, I feel like my body is out of control...
The fact that you are considering it makes me feel you are desperate, but this won't solve your problem...working on WHY you over eat will, and you will feel a lot better in every way if you figure it out.

fitkristi
01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah, that is bulimia - I know because I was (am? are you ever recovered?) a bulimic. Regardless of when you CHOOSE to binge/purge - if you are forcing yourself to vomit food that you've eaten, you need to get help.

lottie63
01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
re: This won't solve your problem....

actually, you'll be adding one. Not only do you seem to have a binge eating problem that needs to be figured out and overcome, you'll need to get over purging later.

Save yourself the therapy and take some tips from the healthy ladies here who have a good head on their shoulders. Your friend is disordered and is going to end up with problems, you can avoid ending up with those problems right now, and deal effectively with the ones that you already have instead of compounding them.

Gamecockgrrl
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Alcoholics don't wake up one day an alcoholic...they get there one drink at a time. Binging/purging 1 time won't make you a Bulimic that day, it's just the first day of however long it takes to get there. First it will start off as, this one time. Then it will progress to "I sure would like some Doritos, I can eat the whole bag because I will just purge when I'm done." Next thing you know, you are doing it 7 times a day EVERY day. You already have an unhealthy relationship with food because your first thought to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling of eating too much is to throw up...if you had a healthy relationship, your first thought would be to just not eat that much. Seek counseling and encourage your friend to do the same.

leelee929
01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
It Is Definitely Bulimia. I Know Because I Am "her". I Thought That I Was "cured" Because I Didn't Do It For A Very Long Time, Until Recently. I've Been So Down And Out...i Began Emotional Eating And Over The Past Few Weeks I've Gained Weight. I'm Even More Upset. Now When I Feel Like I've Eaten Too Much, I Excuse Myself. I Joined This Group 4 Years Ago When I Was On The Right Track, Then When I Felt Myself Slip, I Left...i'm Still Not Sure How To Maneuver Around, But I Do Know That The Road You Are Talking About Is Faaaaar From Healthy. "occasional" Does Make It So, To Deny Is To Not Be Able To Accept It. A Spade Is A Spade.

SparrowSings
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
DoinIt200 --- You have already lost over 100 pounds! 100 FREAKING POUNDS, my dear! That is a HUGE accomplishment that speaks to a strong commitment to change your life for the better and making your health your main priority. Making yourself vomit just doesn't really fit into that set of goals, does it?

If you didn't need this kind of unhealthy behavior to lose that 100+ pounds, then you don't need to to lose the rest of your weight, either, in my opinion.

:hug:

girlonfire
01-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I thought the same way too. Now I am bulimic...you really don't want to go down that path.

krampus
01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Don't do it. That's how people start smoking, become addicts, develop full blown out of control eating disorders. Best not to start. And like people have mentioned, it doesn't even eliminate all the calories. Much more trouble than it is worth.

ThinningVegan
01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
This is extremely destructive behavior both mentally and physically.

My mother is a bulimic and I can tell you that she has suffered enormous physical and mental damages. She has ulcers, dentures, and a bunch of other things due to throwing up her food. The acid from your stomach will eat away at your teeth and gums and you are depriving yourself of nutrients your body needs to survive.

If you are thinking of doing this because you sometimes binge and eat too much, then maybe the problem is that you binge and eat too much and THAT should be taken care of not encouraged through negative behavior.

It doesn't matter if this is done once in awhile or everyday. We are not meant to throw up our food because we've eaten too much. The logic doesn't compute.

BreathingSpace
01-18-2011, 09:26 PM
I recently learned that, with purging, you lose maybe 25% of the calories you just consumed (I don't remember the exact percentage, but it was around 25). So without going into whether or not it's healthy (no need for me to echo the wise words posted above), it's really not practical. With all of the negatives, and only an insignificant loss of calories, not worth it.

Good point!

Nikki6kidsmom
01-19-2011, 02:21 AM
The potential cavities from the stomach acid and the inflamed/bleeding esophagus would be very real things that can happen. Don't fool yourself this is NOT HEALTHY for you.

goal4agirl
01-19-2011, 02:30 AM
I have lived with digestive problems since I was 30 years old. I turn 50 this year. I have Crohns disease and have had multiple surgeries because of this. I also have had stomach ulcers, gerd, gall bladder disease, hiatal hernia. I have taken medicines and seen doctors and surgeons for years. After saying all of that I don't understand how someone with a healthy beautiful body could purposefully damage themselves? I read this from an article:

Dangers of Bulimia
There are many dangers of bulimia. Serious medical problems can result from the condition. Without treatment, it can even result in death.
Bulimia can cause intestinal problems such as diarrhea and constipation. The acid content of vomit damages the esophagus. It also damages the tooth enamel, causing the teeth to take on a clear appearance. It can cause stomach ulcers and sores inside the mouth. It can even cause the stomach to rupture.
Dehydration, vitamin deficiencies, and low blood pressure can lead to kidney problems and damage. Liver damage may also occur.
Bulimia causes dehydration, anemia, and low levels of sodium, potassium, and magnesium in the body. It causes hypotension (low blood pressure) and a slow or irregular heartbeat. Over time, it weakens the heart muscle and can lead to heart failure.
Blood vessels in the eyes may break from excessive vomiting. This may interfere with vision.
Overall muscle weakness, lethargy, and fatigue may occur. Bulimic people may lack the energy for day-to-day activities.
It can cause hormonal imbalances leading to an irregular or absent menstrual period in women. Over time, it can cause infertility.
There are also psychological dangers of bulimia. While bulimia may be caused by feelings of depression, shame, anxiety, and low self-esteem, these feelings can also result from bulimia. It can become a vicious cycle. Bulimic people tend to be obsessed with their weight and appearance to begin with, but the longer the bulimic behavior continues, the stronger that obsession becomes. People with bulimia may become clinically depressed or even suicidal.

If you are doing this please think about the damage you are doing to yourself. Please think about your family who loves you. Most importantly think about your precious healthy body- you only get one- take very good care of it!

astrophe
01-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Why binge and eat so much in the first place? Whatever emotions you are trying to "stuff down" with the food eating... seems easier to just deal with the root emotions. Apart from making yourself throw up NOT being normal -- taking that route is still avoiding the main issue -- "Why am I overeating/binging?"

It isn't "solving" anything. It's just adding a new problem on top.

You friend is fooling herself by playing it down like "I only do it once every few months." Who knows if that's even true. She may be doing it more and fibbing.

I'm sorry, but doing it at all is just not normal eating habits. And why's your friend trying to recruit you to be a throwing up buddy? That's weird sounding too. Some friend! :?:

Educate yourself on the red flags, and step away from those kinds of temptations. You do not want to head down that road. And if you already have, seek help. :hug:

http://www.something-fishy.org/

GL!
A.

aasshhlleeyy
01-19-2011, 03:56 AM
This is a very touchy subject and I dont mean to offend anyone but this is something I dont agree with. First of all you know bingeing and purging is going to lead to full on bulimia. I dont understand why someone would knowingly do this to themselves. I have been overweight my whole life and I know the emotional ups and downs it brings and I think having to hide a disorder like this would just add to it, not to mention being overweight takes enough of a toll on our body why would we want to add to that damage?? I would strongly suggest that you girls stop this behavior immediately if you need to talk to someone you trust to get some help. Make a commitment to yourself that you arent going to binge anymore.

lisanovak
01-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Oh Sweetie! The answer is simple. DON'T DO IT. We can rationalize anything..."I'll do it just this once"..."One or two times won't hurt"...."I will have just one slice"....the list goes on and on. But, when it comes right down to it.....the answer is DON'T DO IT. :nono:

shannonmb
01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Really think about what you are saying. I am going to stuff myself to the point of misery, and now that I don't really like that misery anymore, I'm going to put my finger down my throat, sit down next to the nasty toilet, put my head in there, and bring it all back up. ON PURPOSE. I'm going to set out to literally make myself sick with food and then make myself sick it up.

That doesn't sound unhealthy and disordered?

saef
01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
I worried about this post after only reading the title: "selective" purging. I had a feeling of what I'd be in for. As if being "selective" about it makes purging okay. (Any time someone renames something or sticks an adjective in front of it to minimize the plain blunt impact of a noun, beware.)

By now, you have the general idea that none of us think you ought to go anywhere near this behavior, even though it seems so seductive by promising to "get rid of" or cleanse you in some way. And a lot of us who've been through this **** are calling out warnings to you.

I'll add my voice to theirs, if it helps at all. You don't want to get trapped in this cycle. You just don't. It leads to physical & emotional suffering. Who needs more suffering in their life? Seriously. It's hard enough being fat. Why add being bulimic to being fat?

doinit200
01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
True, why should I knowingly add a destructive behavior to my already destructive eating habits. That is definitely adding crap upon crap. Thank you all for the information and bluntness as to how much I shouldn't do this. I know a post of this sort can bring up many emotions and personal experiences, thank you for sharing.

Ruthxxx
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
This was a very good thread and I hope it has altered your thinking.
You've received good advice and I'm going to close this thread now.

Please come back and continue to post. It seems that the chicks who have been the most successful are the ones who post the most. (I'm a major exception to that! :lol: )