100 lb. Club - Is losing 100lbs in a year realistic?

Leec37
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
So, I'm so aggrevated right now I could scream. I don't know how we even go on this conversation here at work but some of us were discussing how much we need to lose. Keep in mind I am of course the biggest by far. But anyways, I said my goal was to lose 125lbs. I also said I would love it if I would lose 100 of by the end of the year. Well basically their thoughts were that that's impossible. It just really felt like a slap in the face. Like they were personally telling me I couldn't do it.
Sorry for the rant, maybe I'm just a little sensitive today. I am just wondering if I have set my expectations too high.
Any advice??

Essa415
01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
If you stick to your plan consistently and even just lose the recommended 2 lbs per week then that would be just about 100 lbs. It will take a lot of hard work but I think it is completely doable. I once lost 80 lbs over the course of 8 months just with a huge lifestyle change so I am sure 100 in 12 months is completely achievable! You can do it!!

Initiative
01-18-2011, 10:48 AM
It's far from impossible there are over 300 days in a year. That's a 3:1 ratio, and that's a basic amount of weight for anyone to lose. About 2lbs a week is incredibly doable. They have no clue what they are talking about. They probably feel that way because if they were to do it, it would seem impossible... The bigger you are the faster the weight can come off if you know yourself well enough to eat and exercise right for your body. I believe you can do it and I believe in you! :D

Michou
01-18-2011, 10:51 AM
You can loose 2 pounds a week by cutting your daily calorie intake by 500 and burning 500 calories a day through exercise. The best way is with a nutritionist that can tell you how many calories a day you should consume to reach your goal and one or two sessions with a personal trainer to learn about the best exercise program for weight loss.

Dont listen to people that have negative comments it will undermine your efforts, beside let s say that you start a weight loss program and at the end of the year you have not met your goal, you still will be lighter and healthier than at the beginning of the year. go for it you can only be a winner.

OhMyDogs
01-18-2011, 10:56 AM
"There's no way you can do it, it's impossible" is just a euphemism for "There's no way I could do it", do not let them get you down! It's totally doable.

If you choose to believe that you can't do it, then you choose to believe that I can't do it either...you don't wanna let a sister down that way do you? ;)

brenbray06
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I agree that is is doable as long as you are committed to exercising and eating right. Now use this as your motivation to show them it can be done! I also would like to lose 100lbs this year.

Nola Celeste
It's absolutely possible. It might get a bit tough toward the end of that year as you'll be significantly thinner and will naturally tend to shed pounds more slowly, but it's definitely possible.

You're talking about an average of a little over eight pounds per month. That's nowhere near impossible and I don't know why they're gainsaying you for believing that it is.

One thing I've learned, though, is that my body may not have the same plans my mind does. I have done nothing different in the past week, yet the scale has taken an upward bounce of about a pound and a half--this is despite the end of "that time," which means it'd be more logical to expect a loss.

If you set a year-long goal, there may be weeks that don't show a two-pound loss. There may be months that don't show an eight-pound loss. You'll sometimes need to find a way to keep doing what you're doing in spite of the scale, not because of it. Tying your goals to behaviors, not results, is often a good plan; you can completely control your behavior, but results might not be as manageable.

Eliana
It certainly can be done, and has been over and over on these boards! I'd have done it myself if I hadn't stalled out so many times. :D

I understand you coworkers though. ;) They probably have no concept of what it means to lose 100 pounds. When I started I kept that number secret because the few people who DID know where flabbergasted by the number. The think 100 is much bigger than it actually is.

Also, the larger you are when you start, the faster it comes off in the beginning. So someone near 300 pounds may take a year to lose 100 but someone who has those last 20 vanity pounds to ditch may also take a year. That's why they probably don't understand.

Leec37
01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone. You're right, I can do this and I WILL. I have to use these comments as fuel.

fitkristi
01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
It absolutely is! I've been at this since May 2010, and I'm just 6lbs away from 100lbs lost.

Meg
01-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I did it in 9 1/2 months (my one year total was 122 pounds). But I won't kid you, it was tough. Losing 100 pounds in a year is definitely doable but -- in my experience -- you have to be totally focused and committed. I didn't have "treats" or "cheats" or "off plan meals", ate squeaky clean, kept my calories low, and did two hours of exercise every day (cardio and weights).

Of course, not everyone can or wants to put that level of effort into weight loss and that's fine because it's not a race. Losing 100 pounds is a great achievement for anyone and in the end, it doesn't matter if it takes a year or four years. What matters is keeping it off!!

time2lose
01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Lee,
It is certainly doable and there are people here that have done it. However, like Eliana, I understand what your coworkers have said. Let me qualify that - I understand as long as they were really trying to be helpful and not just being smarmy. :)

As for setting your expectations too high - Will you be discouraged if you start falling below your goal? If you start losing 5 pounds a month, will you be so discouraged that you quit? Setting goals and expectations are great as long as they motivate you.

I can't set time goals because I get upset if I don't meet them. If I plan to lose 8 pounds a month and then lose 6 pounds, I see myself as a failure instead of seeing myself as the success that I am. I just can't handle the lose x pounds in y amount of time. I do best by setting 5 pound goals without time limits.

You have to know yourself and set your expectations accordingly. Don' t let anyone else set your expectations for you!

sept15lija
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
You absolutely can!! I started this journey in late June, so about 7 months ago, and I've lost about 80 pounds. I don't know if I'll get to 100 (not sure where my goal will end up) but if you stick to your plan like glue, you will get where you want to be. Show 'em!! :)

lottie63
01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't think it's impossible. But it's not a magic number and trust me I WISH that our bodies were like, "Oh, a week of being 100% On Plan with diet and exercise? Let me flush 2 lbs." But unfortunately there are stalls, and TOM and all missteps. Just do your best and don't beat yourself up about it.

Like so many people here say, it's "persistence, not perfection" ;)

Pacifica Bee
01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Jumping in with this folk to let you know it is absolutely possible. I lost 137 pounds in exactly one year. I also didn't have any cheats whatsoever (no sugar, no white breads, no processed foods) so it was not an easy path to take at first, but it can definitely be done!

DukeGirl30
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Um, hello? Have the people at your job ever watched the Biggest Loser? I don't necessarily think that everyone can workout a million hours a day and lose 100 plus lbs in a few months, but it is possible for the average Josephine to lose 2lbs a week for 52 weeks or lets say 50 weeks (52-Christmas week and Thanksgiving week). It is true however, that some people just have a slower metabolism or other issues that prevent them from reaching the 2lb a week goal.

I have learned that to be successful one needs to disregard naysayers when it comes to weight loss. Even if someone doesn't think you can lose 100 lbs in a year, they need to keep their opinion to themself and just offer encouragement and support. Good Luck to you on journey!

mdchick88
01-18-2011, 11:25 AM
"There's no way you can do it, it's impossible" is just a euphemism for "There's no way I could do it", do not let them get you down! It's totally doable.

My thoughts exactly!! You totally can, it will just take a lot of commitment!

Leec37
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Now I remember why I like it here so much. Your comments have totally changed my mood. :hug: Thanks for all the encouragement and words of wisdom. It feels good to know that others know how I feel and I'm not doing this alone. Maybe that comment was made to my advantage. Although it was upsetting at first, I now think maybe it wasn't intentinal or at least I hope it wasn't meant to be hurtful. Either way it has give me the courage to stay on plan and keep pushing forward.

Thanks Again!!

ubergirl
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Absolutely 100% possible. I think it took me just over a year.

Agree with those who say you have to be 100% committed. I stayed on plan every single day, no cheats. I recorded every bite. Sometimes when I was out and I wasn't sure how many calories were in things I skipped eating entirely and waited until I got home. My schedule did not allow me to workout 2 hours daily, but I put in 30-45 minutes at least 5 x a week.

Just so you know-- most people's weight loss is not linear. My first fifty came off at a steady clip, but the second fifty came off in fits and starts-- sometimes I'd stay 100% on plan for 3 full weeks before I saw a change-- and that was tough.

In any case-- most people with 100lbs to lose can lose the first fifty or so FASTER than two pounds a week-- and that is such an AMAZING feeling that it helps you keep going for the long haul.

guamvixen
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
It sure is! I lost 115 in a year!

shannonmb
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Totally possible! I started at the end of May last year, and I've got 22 more to go in the next 4 months. I would love 100 lb loss by then, but if it takes 5 or 6 months instead, oh well! The most important thing to me is that in these 8 months, I have made unbelievable strides in overhauling my TERRIBLE eating habits, have done some confronting of my issues with using food as a coping mechanism, and just overall have made huge strides in living healthy. I still have lots and lots of work to do, but time's going to pass anyway, and mine is going to pass getting me closer to my goals of being a healthy and fit person! No timelines for me!

NorthernExposure
01-18-2011, 11:56 AM
It's definitely not impossible. I lost 80 lbs in 2010. Probably would have lost more had I decided not to take a maintenance "break" over the summer. (I dropped my first 50 lbs really quick and decided to give my body some time to adjust to all this craziness, lol)...the last 30 have come off a little slower, but I'm OK with that.

As others have said, just don't get too fixated on a number because as much as we wish they were, our bodies are not predictable machines. But you CAN and WILL lose weight this year if you stick to your plan!

dcapulet
01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
"There's no way you can do it, it's impossible" is just a euphemism for "There's no way I could do it"

^This.

Good luck!

ladyfyre
01-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I love this thread!

I think this is just the inspiration I need right now. Starting January 2nd, I had 102 lbs to lose. By Christmas I really want to see 100 lbs gone. I know it will be hard, probably harder after I lose the first 50. But, after that initial weight is gone, I can start doing more intense exercise, running, cycling. Right now, I am limited to easier, more basic exercise that just get me moving.

I started weight watchers and I find that I am really making the effort to do it this time. I have no desire to overeat, I stay within my points, I drink lots of water. This site is so inspiring. I love to see that others have done it, so why canít I.

I know I can lose 100 lbs this year. Positive affirmations always help too.

Leec37
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
You're gonna love this. So since my original post this morning, one of my co workers came over and apoligized for the negative comments. Even better yet, the person that made the original comment just walked back in the office with a bag of McDonald's. I am so glad that I didn't let this ruin my day. I am more motivated then ever right now. My eating has been good today and I can't wait to get home to exercise.

Momto2Ms
01-18-2011, 01:23 PM
You absolutely *can*! There are tons of stories on here of people who have been able to do just that. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. But that is okay because though my weight loss has been (at times painfully) slow, I know that I have made (and continue) to make changes that are maintainable for a lifetime. And, whenever I reach goal lifetime maintance is what is going to matter. Not the amount of time it took me to get there.

Nola Celeste
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
You're gonna love this. So since my original post this morning, one of my co workers came over and apoligized for the negative comments. Even better yet, the person that made the original comment just walked back in the office with a bag of McDonald's. I am so glad that I didn't let this ruin my day. I am more motivated then ever right now. My eating has been good today and I can't wait to get home to exercise.

I'm delighted to hear that! :hug:

And kudos to your co-worker who apologized for her/his negativity. It takes guts to acknowledge a mistake and tender an apology for it. Maybe you and he/she can wind up supporting one another as you lose. :)

Symmetry
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
As for setting your expectations too high - Will you be discouraged if you start falling below your goal? If you start losing 5 pounds a month, will you be so discouraged that you quit? Setting goals and expectations are great as long as they motivate you.

It's that way in my case, setting weight/date goal is just asking for trouble for me because there'll be a time where I'm falling behind 'target' and feel discouraged. But yeah, 100 lbs in a year can totally be done!

ChrissyBean
01-18-2011, 03:34 PM
I did it in 9 1/2 months (my one year total was 122 pounds). But I won't kid you, it was tough. Losing 100 pounds in a year is definitely doable but -- in my experience -- you have to be totally focused and committed. I didn't have "treats" or "cheats" or "off plan meals", ate squeaky clean, kept my calories low, and did two hours of exercise every day (cardio and weights).

Of course, not everyone can or wants to put that level of effort into weight loss and that's fine because it's not a race. Losing 100 pounds is a great achievement for anyone and in the end, it doesn't matter if it takes a year or four years. What matters is keeping it off!!

I love what Meg said. What she said is exactly true. It CAN be done but you really, really have to work HARD at it.

If you look at my little icon thingy at the side, you'll notice when I joined and how much I've lost. I've taken MUCH longer than a year...and I'm still not there. That's because I was (am) unwilling to make weight loss my entire life, KWIM? I still have my wine, I still have chocolate or chips or whatever. I "only" exercise an hour a day.

Just set your own pace, and enjoy. :)

Leec37
01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
So many of you are so right. I think that I spend way to much time focusing on a certain number by a certain time frame. This is probably why I have yet to suceed. Several times I have lost 30, 40, 50 even as much as 80lbs only to give up and gain it back.
I think what I need to learn is patience. Thanks again for all the advice.

eclipse
01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
It's absolutely possible. I lost about 90 of the lbs I've lost between january 1st 2010 and December 31st 2010. I have no doubt that, had I not been knocked flat by a back injury that took months to recover from, I would have lost over 100 lbs. However, and this is important, don't beat yourself up if you can't/don't. Some people get so fixated on a number that, if it becomes clear that they won't make the goal, they just give up. I mean, if you want to lose 100lbs in a year, and 9 months in you've "only" lost 50 - that's still 50 lbs! But some people might suddenly realize they can't possibly make their 100 lbs/12 month goal and give up and gain it all back. So, maybe your friends were worried that you were setting your sights "too high" might be setting yourself up for failure (or at least to feel like a failure!).

eclipse
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM

It's awesome that your coworker came and apologized. :D:hug: The McDonald's? Not so much. We'll just focus on the gracious apology :)

milmin2043
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I started on June 15th, 2010 with exactly 100 lbs. to lose. I am a nut when it comes to keeping charts and graphs to monitor my weight loss. It's really fun to look at the progress occasionally and see trends, etc.
These are my stats:
June 15th, 2010, started at 235
July 15th, 2010, 220, down 15 lbs.
Aug 15th, 2010, 206, down 14 lbs.
Sept 15th, 2010, 192, down 14 lbs.
Oct. 15th, 2010, 184, down 8 lbs.
Nov. 15th, 2010, 178, down 6 lbs.
Dec. 15th, 2010, 166, down 12 lbs.
Jan 15th, 2010, 160, down 6 lbs.

As you can see, I have lost a lot less as I get closer to goal. As someone said earlier, we can't force our bodies to do what we want. The best thing to do is to stay on plan, and not give up, no matter what.

best wishes with your journey and continued success!!

Lori Bell
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Lets see...can it be done? **** yes it can! ;)

When I started my weight loss I was 43 years old, had given birth to 2 kids, and very sedentary. I weighed 333+ pounds and I started serious calorie counting on March 4th, 2008. By my September 12th weight-in I had reached 102 pounds lost. (6 months) By March 4th 2009, one year later I weighed 179 which was 154 pounds lost.

Like Meg and a couple others have posted, I didn't cheat. I didn't go off plan for any reason. I stuck to it day after day after week after week after month after month. I however, also didn't have any "formal" exercise in that period. I did a heck of a lot more physical labor and activities, but never went to a gym or had hours of training sessions. I still don't "work out" I DO move all the time though.

It certainly can be done...doing it is a whole 'nother story though. It's hard...and maintaining a big loss is even harder In my humble opinion. But well worth it.

aasshhlleeyy
01-19-2011, 03:34 AM
It is going to be a long hard journey but look at the goal stories and see that it can be done

kaplods
01-19-2011, 05:42 AM
I'm dead set against loss-by-date targets, because they've always backfired on me. For me, if I had set a goal of 100 lbs in a year, and at the end of the year, I would feel like a failure if I "only" lost 90, and I'd definitely feel like a failure if I only lost 50. Every diet I ever quit, I quit because I felt like a failure - not because I wasn't losing, but because I wasn't losing fast enough to feel successful - I was falling short of my goals (which I didn't see as unreasonable).

In every weight loss attempt before this one I always set weight goal by dates, and every time I lost much slower than my targeted goals for myself, and I always hated and berated myself for not measuring up to my own expectations (which I didn't think were unreasonable). Instead of feeling proud of the weight I was losing, I was deeply ashamed of the weight I wasn't. My goals weren't unrealistic in the abstract. I wanted the "two pounds" I felt was guaranteed me if I was dong weight loss correctly. If I didn't lose two pounds every week, I just knew it was because I wasn't measuring up. I was lazy, crazy, and stupid.

For me, I had to change the way I looked at weight loss. I decided to aim for goals I had complete control over. My goal is my 1500-2000 calorie diet and my exercise goals. Even if I don't lose one week (especially if it's TOM week), I can still measure success by what I've accomplished, not what biochemistry happens to deal me. Weight loss isn't a behavior, it's a result of behavior. And sometimes you can do everything right and still not get the results you want. Are you going to be proud of the success you did have, or are you going to obsess about every mistake that prevented you from reaching your goal (realistic or not)?

If you can celebrate your success, even when it falls short, then set any goal you want to, but if falling even a bit short is going to feel tragic, then I'd suggest setting behavior goals, rather than result goals.

Kgirl1974
01-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Lots of great advice and encouragement here! I have over 100 pounds to lose and was wondering about it being possible in a year - now I see it is and will aim for it but at the same time I realise I have to be in this for the long haul so no matter what I lose, it's better than not doing anything. :)

Emme
01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
What an awesome goal to have...and you can DO it! I had to laugh at the person who came to apologize just before they went and noshed on McDonald's. It feels good to eat healthy. :)

Ky30
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Dont listen to them at all. Ive lost 50 pounds in 4 months hoping to lose another 50 pounds in 5 months that would put me at 100 pounds lost in 9 months. The first month I lost 20 now I average 10 pounds a month so they have no clue what they are talking about.

ArcticFrogs
01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
First of all, I'm glad that your coworker apologized - it takes a lot out of you to just acknowledge that you're wrong and say nothing; the ability to apologize is a true sign of character. So congrats to you and kudos to the coworker for that.

Secondly...as many have said, 100 pounds in a year is do-able. That was a large part of the motivation for us when we started: working under the theory that we'd rather spend a year burning it off and the rest of my life keeping it off than wait until health demands it and be unable to get up the motivation. That, and we're in our mid20s - a lot of people have voiced that they wished they'd started earlier.

Someone's signature around here is incredibly motivating, and I may be butchering it slightly, but...: A year from now, you'll be glad you started today. Twisting that to my own use, I keep hearing in my head: A year from now, you'll be glad you made this choice/didn't make a huge vat of macaroni and cheese/STEP AWAY FROM THE CHEESECAKE. *grin*

Taking that into consideration, make sure that you don't devastate, frustrate or disappoint yourself if you don't make that goal. We are striving to lose 100 pounds in a year, yes, but doing so on our terms - if eating healthily yet happily and not stressing too hard means I only lose 80 lbs in a year, so be it.

To sum up the rambling, you can lose 100 pounds in a year...but even if you reach your "deadline" without having lost that much, you'll be happy that you started. Promise.

We all believe in you, and are all here for you! You can dooo eeet! *grin*

mflaig
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
8 to 10 lbs a month for the next 10 to 12 months would work, but the closer you get to your goal weight the weight does come off more slowly. But I think its realistic. Thats my goal:) I am trying for 100 lbs gone by next January when I turn 35. Just depends how much you want to put into it:)

Oboegal
01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm with kaplods in preferring to avoid time-based goals. I started this journey at the age of 47 and lost 115 pounds in 2 years, which I think is pretty awesome. I originally thought I'd be at goal by my 49th birthday (which was in October), but my weight loss slowed down to a slow, yet steady, rate of 3 pounds every 4 weeks, and I decided that I didn't want to cut back further just for the sake of the calendar.

For someone younger than me, or at a higher starting weight, I think 100 pounds in a year would be very reasonable, but you can't always dictate what your body is going to do. Some people would have the mind set that not losing the 100 pounds in a year is "failure" and might get sidetracked because of that.

I'm with the strategy that staying on plan is success, regardless of what the scale says. (I still think your coworkers were rude, and I'm glad at least one of them apologized.)

Truffle
01-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Subscribing for inspiration. :)

sweetsmmr91
01-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I've lost 130 pounds since May 3rd, and I want to lose my last 50ish in the next five months. Andd I will! So, yes, it's possible. I used Metabolic Research Center though, it works for me.

AZ Sunrises
01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I can see it being doable. :) Just don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't happen. If you only lose 50 lbs, that's still frigging awesome.

Vladadog
01-24-2011, 12:44 AM
I lost 90 pounds in a year aiming for 1500 calories a day. I didn't do any formal exercise (I'm active at work and I walk about a mile a day with the dogs but no gyms, no real work outs) and there were a couple times I went off plan for a weekend. I'm also over 50, started menopause during that year, and work the graveyard shift - all things that generally make weight loss harder/slower.

So, if you actually exercise and do better than me about being on plan then yeah, 100 pounds is totally doable.