Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #1  

Talking Bringing Up the Rear: Tips for Sneaking in Exercise!

Found a fun little trick! Every time I use the restroom (and I drink a LOT of water, so this amounts to a good few times a day), I do ten squats. Which, really, when it comes down to it, is peanuts. Ten?? That's a total breeze! But by the end of the day, I've done 50 or 60 squats and have barely even noticed. The cool part is that my body noticed! Have DEFINITELY noticed a change in my derriere.

I find that when I try to talk myself into "a workout," I put too much pressure on myself to go full-out Rocky, decide I don't have enough time to dedicate and put it off until tomorrow. By sneaking in a little at a time with something that I'm going to HAVE to be doing anyway, I'm really seeing results at a time when it's important for me to tighten and tone my body as it changes!

Anyone have any stealthy exercise tips?
LuLuLikesToulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/201/135

Height: 5'6"

This is a fantastic idea!

I'm a law student and I'm pretty sure I've trained myself to go more frequently just so I can get out of class for a minute. I'm so gonna try this!

I've snuck in a bit of ab work before I go to sleep. In the bed, on my back I just do hard flexing - not even full crunches. This is good for me b/c I have a major lower back problem....and it's nice and relaxing (once you're finished)!

Thanks for the tip
kcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #3  
Starting again Jan. 2013

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Awesome! Thanks for the tip, it's a great way to get some extra exercise in!
gvntofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #4  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'm going to try to remember this. I will probably have about 200 squats a day!
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/274/199

Nice idea!!

After two weeks I am starting to feel the extra energy that comes when you actually take care of yourself (imagine that!) So I dance and bounce around during my show while I watch TV. I know I need to funnel that energy into a real cardio workout, and I will, but this is a fun little way get going when I normally would just be at rest.
BigBlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I LOVE little tips like this. What a fantastic idea!!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #7  

kcnc, I'm trying the ab thing tonight! I also have lower back problems, and I really wanted to start focusing on my core strength regardless. Sounds so easy to do, and every little bit helps!

Blue, I true to dance around, too! I found it's a fun way to pass time while I'm cooking. My kitchen has a big ol' window, so I'm sure it's a party for the neighbours, as well, haha!

Of course there's always take the stairs instead of the escalator thing, but that's old news. I'd love to figure out some sort of ab/leg-lifty thing I can do while I'm sitting at my desk at work. Make some good out of all those hours in my day I have to waste on my tush!

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention...we've got a public restroom at work (public as in shared by the gals from the offices on the same floor as me. Three stalls and two sinks kind of setup), so the best part is when someone walks in and I'm on squat #5 or so. "Uh, I, um, just dropped, my, uh. You know."

Last edited by LuLuLikesToulouse; 01-17-2011 at 11:16 PM.
LuLuLikesToulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

I don't know how everyone's workplace is, but I sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair for a few hours every night. I also raise the console and stand for a while if I can. We have an exercise ball at my house too and I will sit and do minor stretches while watching TV. Nothing rigorous but it is great for posture.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #9  
Refuses to Gain!

S/C/G: 208/192/150

I brought 3lb weights with me to work. I try to lift them in a arm curl on the hour through out the day.
chatterbox205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox205 View Post
I brought 3lb weights with me to work. I try to lift them in a arm curl on the hour through out the day.
I used to work in a call center that required me to be tethered to the phone all day long, wearing headsets. I worked for a telephone company in in-bound collections. When people would start with their sob stories that always seemed to last at least 5 minutes, I would get up and start doing standing pushups on my desk until they were finished. I got a LOT of pushups done during the day!
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #11  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

These are so great! So simple, yet so profound! We've all heard of parking further and taking the stairs, but what clever gals you are to work in some extra doing what you already have to do!

There's a really long hallway I have to walk through in my building at work to get to my unit, and lately I've taken to walking that hallway as fast as my feet can carry me. Since I'm usually alone when going down that hallway, I might start to jog it soon!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #12  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebox View Post
I don't know how everyone's workplace is, but I sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair for a few hours every night. I also raise the console and stand for a while if I can. We have an exercise ball at my house too and I will sit and do minor stretches while watching TV. Nothing rigorous but it is great for posture.
I teach sixth grade, and starting today, I told the kids they were welcome to bring in an exercise ball to sit on instead of their classroom chair. I tried it out last week, bouncing around and "testing" the idea (which was torture for them to have to watch me play for a week )...it's a great way to move just a little bit more
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

This is super lazy but sometimes I will do exercises during commercial breaks. When my program starts I sit down again..lol. Also, when I am cooking I will squat and "punch it out" with my arms when I am waiting for something to finish that doesn't require my hands. I also sometimes squeeze my butt and hold driving in my car. LOL.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixiet View Post
I teach sixth grade, and starting today, I told the kids they were welcome to bring in an exercise ball to sit on instead of their classroom chair. I tried it out last week, bouncing around and "testing" the idea (which was torture for them to have to watch me play for a week )...it's a great way to move just a little bit more
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I love the idea of educators being on board with encouraging a healthier lifestyle. I am darned near doing everything I can to encourage at home. It really, REALLY ticks me off when my (shorter statured and little curvy) 3rd Grader comes home and tells me she has been practicing fractions using Hershey bars--and has eaten all of them. Also, she is on 2 academic competition teams at school. She is given candy for perfect performances. I really don't want to be the mom to blow the whistle but it is of GREAT concern to me. The junk food being given for reward thing bothers me. Crappy foods also contribute to behavior problems and effect her performance academically--not to mention what it means for her already short stature!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #15  
Refuses to Gain!

S/C/G: 208/192/150

I park further from work as well...its a mile round trip. I use the stairs...and I sit on a ballance ball.
chatterbox205 is offline   Reply With Quote