Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default unrelated. Plenty of fish?

So I got divorced about 10 months ago and I'm only 24! But now I'm looking to get out and start dating again. But all those online dating sites seem to be for people older than me. A friend recommended plenty of fish. Has anyone used it or know anything about it? I know this isn't weight loss related but I figured a bunch of 20-something girls could help me out! Thanks!

Holly
missholls910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #2  
On the way down!

S/C/G: 226/ticker/150

Height: 5'10.75

Honestly, I wouldn't go the Plenty of Fish route. I've heard from friends who have tried it that its pretty much just a meat market for hookups [for the most part]-not that there's anything wrong with that but only if you're looking for that. I'd talk to friends, brothers, whoever, and ask them to fix you up. Or try speed dating. Heck, even one of the other sites such as match.com can get you going. I'm leery though of the whole online thing to begin with. There isn't anything wrong with it, you just never know who is on the other end and its hard for me to pick up cues without a tangible first impression. Also, my family and I live in WPB when I'm not in school. They all the time clearly...haha
redliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/165

Height: 6'1

I met my boyfriend when I was 19 on DatingDirect and we've now been together 3 years. I started using it for laughs and then ending up meeting him, blah blah blah, happily ever after
LucyFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #4  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

POF sucks, do not go on it unless your looking to just hook up or whatever. Most guys one there will talk to you like they want you and the second someone else comes along you are dropped within seconds. That's how I scored a new dated everyay for the weekend. There may be a slim chance you can connect with someone on there...but remember theres 20 other messages and girls they are talking to as well.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I haven't tried POF, but I met my boyfriend of 4 years on Match and a few of my friends have found long-term relationships on there as well. In my area, most people were on the site were in their 20's with a handful of 18-year-olds and older guys that you could easily screen out For some reason, the 50-year-old 3 times divorced guys still emailed me though, but that's what the delete button was for.

When I started online dating it was still sort of taboo, but once I mentioned it to people it seemed like everyone was online or had tried it at some point...really, probably 1/3 of the people I told. It was pretty crazy. I even found one of my coworkers on there by accident

Last edited by cheryl126; 01-17-2011 at 10:10 AM.
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/300/150

Height: 5'9

My sister used POF and met a really great guy. They've been together for over a year now and seem really happy. I met my bf online (not POF), and we have been very happy together. Best of luck!
annah788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

I think POF is great, that is how I met my boyfriend and he is amazing. Obviously there are a lot of creepy people on there but that is just like any other place and even in real life there are a lot of creepy people you can randomly meet somewhere. I think you just need to be smart when you are meeting people online, usually you can tell what a guys intentions are after talking to them for a little while before meeting him. Obviously you just wouldn't talk to someone a little bit and go out to meet them and go on dates with every single guy you are talking to. You should definitely get to know the guy before you go on a date with him and meet in a public place! Good luck!
Jessica88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I've never received so many random penis pictures in my email than when I was on POF. And no, I'm NOT into that.

Honestly, I used to have a lot of luck on OKCupid. Its younger people orientated.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #9  

Thanks girls! This whole dating thing is scary!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
I've never received so many random penis pictures in my email than when I was on POF. And no, I'm NOT into that.

Honestly, I used to have a lot of luck on OKCupid. Its younger people orientated.
hahahahaha! I just lol'ed major!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #11  
Hairstylist

S/C/G: 200/ticker/145

there are alot of guys wanting hook ups on POF but I met my bf on there and things are going great. You have to "fish" around lol and search out the good ones!!!!! Lots of girls I work with and friends have also met some good guys on there. Good Luck
leslielou87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #12  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I met some pretty ok guys on there. I also met some creeps from there. It's just like any other dating site I think.

I met my husband from a different site.

POF can be good if you can weed out the guys just wanting to get into your pants.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #13  
sugar is the devil

Agreed with the above. When I was on POF, I met some creeps who were just wanting hook ups (but telling the girls differently). But, I also met some ok guys. One was my ex boyfriend and another was a guy who was totally into me, but I didn't want to date him. You just have to weed them out... I'm currently dating my boyfriend, whom I did meet online but not from POF.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

The only guys I met on POF were creepers... Definitely just looking to hook up

I think because it is a free site you get more rif raf than a more serious site that you have to pay for.

I also was contacted by a lot of pushy people and was semi stalked by a guy

I did meet a great guy but we just worked out as friends and are still in contact.

try it but just be careful and make sure you arrange actual dates
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #15  
Resisting the Urge

S/C/G: 282.4/Ticker/199.9

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
I agree with stella, when I tried the online thing I used OKCupid and met lots of great guys. Still some creepers since its free but its easy to tell after your first convo. I had the most luck with match, but in order to get anything out of it you have to pay. I just stalked for a while then signed up for a week trial (if you can find it, most are 3 day) and emailed the guys I was interested in and gave them my personal email if they impressed me. Didnt have to pay and still got to talk to the guys i wanted to.

But be honest and up front with a guy you start dating that you meet online and let him know if you to be exclusive, most guys i met were dating/talking to lots of girls in addition to me.

I signed up for POF but like the other ladies I found it was lacking in "prince charming" types. More like the looking for a "snake charmer" type

Last edited by Essa415; 01-17-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Essa415 is offline   Reply With Quote