100 lb. Club - A & E's Heavy

View Full Version : A & E's Heavy

Smiling_Sara
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
This is the premier tonight, isn't it? Says it is on at 9pm.

Who will be tuning in? *raises hand* Let's talk about what we think about it in this thread.

Beverlyjoy
01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes... I am going to check it out. What I like about it is that it's not a contest.

Thanks for the reminder.

joyfulloser
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I'll be checkin in out!;)

sept15lija
01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
OH thanks, I was wondering when it was on again. I signed up for an email reminder but didn't get one - anyways I'll be watching!

NorthernExposure
01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I have my DVR set! (9 PM is about bedtime for me, lol.)

Jonesie
01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Got my DVR set too! Cant wait for this one.

lauralyn
01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Isn't there a member from 3fc that says she is on this show?

OhMyDogs
01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
I will for sure be watching!! I think it will end up being very inspirational to me!

Trazey34
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
I'll be watching too! I like that it isn't a competition and there's no money prize available - just HELP for people who desperately need it! And there's the added bonus (to me) of NO JILLIAN screaming at people, or even worse, doing impromptu cloyingly fake therapy as on biggest loser! GAH! Can't wait, hope it's inspirational :D

Arctic Mama
01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I'll try to remember to catch it :)

LuvMyMr
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I have it set up on my dvr player! I love that it's not a competition and no one will be eliminated for not losing the most!!!

pnkrckpixikat
01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
I have no cable :( so fingers crossed they have the episodes avail on their website for me to catch... If not maybe i will try taking over the bf's dvr lol

BigBlueStar
01-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I will be too, thanks for the reminder. I wasn't interested at all untill I read another thread talking about it, and a member stated that their story was the first episode. I love A&E and trust that they will do well with the show.

GradPhase
01-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Even the boyfriend who is very fit and H-A-T-E-S reality tv keeps reminding me that it's on tonight because it looks so good!

We're so excited about how A and E is doing lately. I love Hoarders, Intervention, I know I WILL love Heavy, and that "Beyond Scared Straight" show the boy and I are BOTH excited to watch.

Whoever they hired to change the game needs a raise!

goal4agirl
01-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Thank you for reminding me. I wanted to watch this. ;)

ThinningVegan
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I am definitely going to be tuning in. I've been waiting all week for it to start! yayy!

lostangel05
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Got it marked on satellite!

Smiling_Sara
01-17-2011, 10:44 PM
About 15 minutes till showtime! So looking forward to this.

spixiet
01-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm definitely interested in the show...high hopes here :D

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the emphasis is on making changes you can keep up for a lifetime, and not on losing the weight as quickly as possible :dizzy:

ThinningVegan
01-18-2011, 12:43 AM
WOW! What an amazing and inspiring show. I sure hope they do updates for these people to see where they get at some point. I can't wait for the show next week.

lostangel05
01-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Interesting show. I wasn't sure what to expect. I think it's awesome how those two people have put in so much hard work. I'm glad I don't have that far to go but I wish them all the best in their journeys.

Amber1011
01-18-2011, 05:07 AM
The stories were interesting, and I'm always one for an inspiring weigh loss story. Yet, the way they planned it out tv show wise, I'm reserving judgement for now. I'm not sure I like a persons entire journey in one show. It'll probably do wonders with re-run capabilities for the network though.

Beverlyjoy
01-18-2011, 05:53 AM
It was inspiring.

It's very real to me - in the struggle these folks have. It seems like they concentrated alot on the movement and the exercising & working out of these people. I hope they even go further into the living with food. It may not be their goal. No matter - I thought it was a great format. It was a real chance for them to start the change. I hope that at some point they follow up. Also - it would be nice to know if they have trainers now and how they have changed their environments.

There's only so much you can see in an hour.LOL

ladyfyre
01-18-2011, 08:11 AM
I thought the show was great. I like that we got a bit of their story and throughout, understood their struggles. I also thought that focusing on food should be more a part of the show.
Even the exercise that they were doing was not outrageous like biggest loser. I was never worried that they were going to hurt themselves. Will definately watch next week.

bargoo
01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I saw the show last night. My impression was lots of exercise but they didn't show much about food choices.

Trazey34
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Overall, I think I liked it - I wished they focused a bit more on food tho. As in, what they ate for breakfast each day! But I liked that it was intense exercise, but not going to have a heart attack exercise! I think my favourite part was the woman who, although I found her a bit unpleasant, was very REAL. Those tears for failure, for letting the husband down, fear of the unknown, really seemed genuine. And her caveat that NO, everything is not all sunshine and rainbows JUST because you lose weight - if you have toxic things in your life (like her mother or unsupportive friends) it'll still be there when you're thinner, I liked that "real" quality. I'll tune in again!

Laureedee
01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I wanted to watch it but I think something was going on with our cable company because the channel had nothing but a "no signal" screen from the time I turned over there 10 minutes prior to showtime up until the end of the hour (I flipped over several times to try to catch it). Hoping I can find it somewhere online to watch later, I really did want to see it :(

dancinginpaint
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I enjoyed it, I like that it wasn't a competition, no alliances, lies etc. Just them, doing what they have to do. I agree that the food could have been more of a focus, but no biggie. I also hope that they do follow ups. I'll watch it again.

Jonesie
01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
This show... I cried a few times. I really believe I was there or very close to there and nearly everyone in my family is there. It was hard to watch.

Momto2Ms
01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Shoot! And to think I wasted my evening watching Jersey Shores. Did I just admit that...?

I will have to catch it next week.

bitetoobreakkskin
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
ehhh i dont think i liked it...i did like that they focused on movement and things of that sort-but i feel like without more focus on food choices that the people will go back to their old ways..i hope that i'm wrong.

doinit200
01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Just watched full episode on A&E website. I really, really like this show. I like the trainers and I love the true documentary feel of the show. Completely lack of fluff and endorsements like other prime time shows. It gets to the true emotion of being severely overweight and losing it. I can relate to their journeys so much and it is nice to see that the two have become supports for on another.

fattymcfatty
01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm in agreement about the food component. Otherwise I thought it was good.

Smiling_Sara
01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
I loved it! Yes, I agree, they need to do better with the food part of it, but in all, very inspiring.

Tea Granny
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I loved it - I cried and cheered and wish them all of the best in their journey.What courage! Not only are they doing it - they are doing it on international television. I truly like the format - I don't like Biggest Loser much. :)

SweetScrumptious
01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I agree with the above about showing more healthy food choices. We know that they all had food struggles at home in the beginning. But, they didn't really show them at home cooking and preparing meals for themselves. That's half the journey (especially for Tom - who stated that he just put an electric grill in front of his bed and started cooking when he was +600lbs)!

aasshhlleeyy
01-18-2011, 04:01 PM
It was ok I was waiting for this show for two weeks and it wasnt as good as I thought. Im sure they tought them how to eat better butI wish they would have at least showed some of that and I really hope they update us on their progress they still have so far to go on their journey

Sandi
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I have it taped. Was the lady named Jodi? She is a member here and has talked about the show on this thread...Heavy (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-news-current-events/218613-e-show-heavy.html)

time2lose
01-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I watched it on my DVR last night and really liked it. I identify with the people on it. I have struggled with my weight all my life. I was curious about Jodi's BMI and wondered how it compared with mine at my highest recorded weight, so I got her stats off of their Web page. Her BMI was just a little higher than mine when I started. Looking at the other Bios on their Web site, I would definitely have qualified. The thought is very sobering to me. I would have qualified for a tv show where your weight is so high that your life is in danger. Whew......

I love that it is not a competition and is about helping people get their life back. Like other posters, I also wish that they had showed more of the food component. Exercise is important but the food is more important. I am afraid that some people watching the show will think that you have to have a trainer and exercise like crazy to lose weight.

An unexpected result of watching the show was me feeling more positive about myself. I have really been beating myself up lately. I gained during the holidays and have had trouble getting back on track. I tend to dwell on my negatives such as having more weight to lose and not appreciate how far I have come. The show helped me see how far that I have come and encouraged me to not go backwards.

Jodi, if you are on this forum, you were wonderful. You were inspirational and I am sure that you helped many people.

MindiV
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
My husband and I watched it and liked it. Like others, I wish they'd focused on the WHOLE thing...the emotions, the workouts AND the food. I also didn't like that they had trainers when they went home, unless they chose to get them and paid for them on their own. Like Cheryl said...this leads some to the belief that a trainer is a MUST.

I also worry that it's going to become a one-note thing...bigger guy/bigger girl works out and loses weight...over and over and over. Surely some different stories will spice things up as it goes along. Will tune in again a few times and see.

Edit - I don't WANT them to have problems...just I know that in life and in weight loss problems come up. And I hope they address the issues that come up while these people are on their journeys.

FitGirlyGirl
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I liked the show. I especially liked the fact that it wasn't a competition and that allowed participants to truly fully support one another. In this journey we all need all the support we can get. Things like TBL break down the natural camaraderie that people facing similar issues feel for each other. I like that this show didn't do that. I too wish they had shown us the food side of things. I'm not going to live on Dannon (and I prefer my store brand yogurt anyhow).

Patrizia
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I just saw the show last night online. I agree that it definitely should have focused more on the food aspect... I'm sure they told them all about nutrition/portion control/etc. but it would have been better had we seen that part too.

I watched this one day after seeing MTV's I Used to be Fat for the first time, and I liked that in contrast to MTV, Heavy seemed incredibly realistic. Rather than losing almost 100 pounds in a summer with 5-6 hours of gym-time per day and devoting every minute to weight loss, Heavy felt more realistic... at least after the first month, going back to their normal lives and having to deal with the same day-to-day problems that they will always have. I also liked that they were focusing on constant, long-term weight-loss for a healthier life rather than a 3 month sprint to lose 90 pounds so you can have more friends and fit-in in college... everyone has their own motivation, obviously, but I felt it was a bit shallow and ignored the deeper problem. Also, I can't imagine how hard it must be for them to maintain that kind of weight-loss...

I know that this didn't start out as a comparison thread, but I couldn't help comparing given I watched both within 24 hours of each other!

SnowboundChick
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I see that it's free on itunes, so I'm downloading now.

Nola Celeste
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
I wonder if the lack of focus on food in "Heavy" and other weight-loss-oriented shows has to do with sponsorship and branding issues? I'm thinking of shows like "Good Eats" and "Mythbusters" that have to cover the brand names of items used on the show, and maybe that's somehow problematic in a weight loss show? Or maybe it's that since Dannon paid for their product placement on "Heavy," they de-emphasized other foods to make the sponsor look more appealing.

I do wish that there'd be more focus on the food--not just on "Heavy," but on all WL shows--but there's got to be a reason that they don't. And I know diet is a huge factor in losing weight, so there's no way that it isn't a factor for participants on these shows as well.

kittycarlson
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I really liked Tom. It was so real looking at his struggles to even move at first. It was heart breaking when he returned home and started gaining again. I'm so glad they let him come back. I missed the very end as my husband switched the channel and the DVR quit recording. In did look up on line though and saw he has lost over two hundred LBS now. He still has so far to go but looks kike he is doing great and has so much better mobility. I would have liked to see more of the coaching that they did food wise. I will watch again.

hayleycreates
01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
I liked it more than I thought I would. I found both journeys very moving. I wish them success and hope they have the support they will need. That being said, I wish I could spend four weeks at that retreat, it looked amazing.