Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206.6/tracker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default I really want a Diet Coke!!!

I am a pop drinker, but not crazy! I normally don't even buy pop to keep at my house. When not watching my calories before, I might have 3 or 4 in a week.

I have been REALLY good since the first on not drinking any pop, and although I am a calorie counter & know that diet coke is calorie free, I still know that it will cause me to bloat & slow my metabolism which is not what I want...but really ~ I WANT A DIET COKE!

Okay, I feel better ~ even though I still want one!
megems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I have been there. I had to stop drinking it for health reasons years ago. It can be done. You will get over it, really. Getting to that point can be frustrating, but honestly I'm glad that I'm free of it.
You can do it!

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 01-14-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Gosh I drink diet pop (of all kinds) in moderation. I have since day 1 and I've never had a problem with it slowing anything down. Granted I'll have maybe 2 cans a week, but it doesn't seem to affect me in any way. NOW, if I would start adding Jack Daniels to it....well that's another story! LOL

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-14-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 161/143/120

Height: 5'1.5"

I'm a diet coke addict too! I know I'll need to give them up eventually, but it is not happening now. I try to justify it because I'm a college student who doesn't drink alcohol (too many alcoholics in the family) but I still enjoy going out with my friends. So, when they order drinks, I get a diet coke.

Anyway, congratulations on kicking the habit - hang strong, you can do it!
shadetree20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #5  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I am a diet mountain dew girl. I have gotten off of them. I am also ADHD though and last night I was hyper as heck and could not feel sleepy. So I had one of the sodas (they are still in the house because hubby drinks them). It tasted gross, but I needed the caffeine (works backward on me because of th ADHD). Today, the scale is up 1 pound with no other reason for it than the diet soda. Hopefully my scale sadness today helps you stay away from the diet coke. I know it's tough.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #6  

I think many, many people can drink diet soda and have no issue. Others bloat, experience sugar cravings, etc. It's a personal thing. A part of me always wanted to give up artificial sweeteners, though, so being forced to forgo Diet Coke for health reasons was a good thing in the end. I've recently replaced my aspartame-sweetened Yoplait yogurts with all-natural Greek yogurt, too. I don't know if it amounts to anything in the end, but I feel better about it all the same.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 01-14-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206.6/tracker/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks ladies! I know one diet coke isn't the end of the world, but I do recognize that I get bloated from it, and have heard it can slow metablism (takes me long enough to lose a pound ).

FitGirlyGirl ~ That actually did help!

I am withholding at this point, but I know it will be awhile before I don't even consider it an option!
megems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Hey! I stopped drinking sodas August of 2010. I did it because I know that all the chemicals are terrible for me! I was sombody who drank TONS of diet soda in a day. I started my morning with a 32oz Diet Coke from McDonalds, drank it all day. THen had more when I got home. Plus, it was a daily part of my childhood too. I'd been drinking soda FOREVER! But I stopped. And I really didn't even realize it at first. I decided to start drinking more water and once I always had a water bottle nearby, I didn't drink as much soda. I did start to crave them after a month or so... So, I drank one. ANd I didn't like it. It didn't taste very good to me anymore. Really bitter and chemically tasting. I've probably had 8-10 sodas in the last 6 months and each time I realize that it doesn't taste that great. I don't have a palate for it anymore. So, I guess my advise is to keep at it. Drink more water. Get a water filter or Brita if necessary. Eventually, you won't even have an issue anymore. Maybe in a month try one... see if you even still like it! (Though I recognize that tactic won't work for everyone!!)

Last edited by Jen516; 01-14-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #9  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree20 View Post
I'm a diet coke addict too! I know I'll need to give them up eventually, but it is not happening now. I try to justify it because I'm a college student who doesn't drink alcohol (too many alcoholics in the family) but I still enjoy going out with my friends. So, when they order drinks, I get a diet coke.

Anyway, congratulations on kicking the habit - hang strong, you can do it!
this is me all the way. I do drink a lot of water, but i dont see myself giving up my diet anytime soon. I wish i could i really do but i dont think i can right now.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I only drink diet sodas occasionally(and usually small brand kinds that use stevia as the sweetener instead of aspartame) but I'm trying to give them up because of that darned bloating. I have at most 3 cans a week but it's not worth it even at that, for that "ugh" feeling I get afterward. I find that fresh lemonade is a good low calorie alternative: I squeeze the juice of one lemon into a tall glass, add two packets of stevia, cold water and stir. The juice of one lemon is only about 20 calories and I find that lemonade is just as tasty in place of soda with foods that the soda usually goes with.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #11  

I really like plain lemon in water. I squeeze some into my water bottle all the time.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I drink at least two Diet Pepsis every day....sometimes more. I do like to stick with caffeine-free as much as I can, but I love it too much to give it up. It fits into my plan just fine. Still make sure to get all of my water in, though.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 282/231/190

Height: 5'10

I haven't had a problem with diet pop. I'm a big coffee/caffeine person. With the little sleep I get, and the lot of hours I work and go to school...it basically keeps me sane haha!
Eventually I would like to give it up, but it's just habit and routine, and I get extremely crabby without it. Could all be in my head for all I know though!
nessalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #14  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Jen - that's how it is for me. It tastes like chemicals. I said to my hubby last night that if lemonade is made of lemons and limeade is made of lime the soda should be renamed chemicalade.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #15  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I used to drink pop all the time - regular but then "diet" after I started watching what I eat/drink. I gave it up about two months ago the day I unclogged my bathroom sink with Diet Pepsi. The sink was plugged for months, and I tried Liquid Plumr and Drano several times with no success. I couldn't afford a plumber, so on a lark, I tried Diet Pepsi. It worked, and turned me off of drinking pop.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote