Recipes Your favorite healthy recipes

Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #1  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Default Bean and legume recipes

I'm looking for recipes for black beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc. I don't buy canned beans; I buy them dry and boil them. I always like to have beans on hand. Usually I just toss whatever ingredients I think will work together since I never follow recipes, but I need new ideas. Help?
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #2  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

[IMG][/IMG]

BEAN AND CABBAGE SOUP
1/2 large head purple cabbage sliced in ribbon pcs
1/2 large head green cabbage slice in ribbon pcs
1 vidalia onion sliced

2 FULL SPRAYS Olive Oil from a MISTO sprayer

1 can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Organic Tomatoes
1 Carton Beef Broth (i use swansons low sodium)
6 cups of your favorite beans: i used 2 each of:
White Beans, Black Beans, Mexican Chili Beans

but the choices are so many...navy beans, kidney beans, pinto beans...any combination!!

1.5 TBSP AMORE Double Concentrated Tomato Paste...this comes in a tube near the pasta sauce...or you can use regular tomato paste...i just use the tube cause it lasts longer after opening.

6 oz. diced ham....i get this already diced in the little package by CUMBERLAND GAP...but any ham will do!! great for leftovers!! or the oscar mayer carvery board ham!

directions: get non stick pan hot....spray one long full spray of olive oil....add onions...sautee for a few minutes...while chopping cabbage.. then add cabbage....and another long spray of olive oil. continue to sautee....til almost limp...i like my cabbage to still have a little "bite" to it. if you don't have a MISTO omg...u should try one!! saves TONS on fat!! i am amazed at how LITTLE oil i can use!! you will need to saute a little longer with less oil...it takes mine about 15-20 mins.

then i transfer it all into a HUGE stock pot as this makes 10 cups of soup.

add the carton of broth, the can of tomato, all the beans, then add the tomato paste and diced ham...stir and simmer until all is well heated through!!

1 cup = 151 calories, only 1 gram of fat!!, 26 grams of carbs, 7 grams of fiber, 7 grams of sugar, and 11 grams of protien!!**

** please note that this nutritional value is approx: as i am no expert nor am i a dietician!! haha i just calculate everything based on info found on each ingredient package or www.calorieking.com for veggies, ...then total them all up, then measure how much soup each batch makes, and divide accordingly!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #3  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Red bean burgers! You could easily use cooked dry red beans instead of canned if you wanted.

Ingredients
o 1 teaspoon olive oil
o 1/2 cup minced onions
o 1/2 cup chopped and seeded plum tomatoes
o 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno chiles, more if you like or 1 teaspoon serrano peppers
o 1 clove garlic, minced
o 1 teaspoon chili powder
o 1 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed,well drained
o 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
o 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
o 1 egg whites, beaten
o 4 whole grain buns, toasted
Toppings
o 4 slices cheddar cheese
o 4 leaves lettuce
o 4 slices thick tomatoes
o avocados, slices
o barbecue sauce ( Whatever else floats your boat ... sour cream?)

Directions

1. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add next onion, plum tomato, jalapeno, garlic and chili powder; sauté 5 minutes.
3. Cool slightly.
4. Using fork, coarsely mash beans in bowl.
5. Combine with onion mixture, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce and egg white.
6. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
7. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.) It will look as though these little burgers will just fall apart and turn to mush, but they stay together really well once they"hit the pan"!
8. If grilling, oil the rack or spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then fire up coals to medium heat.
9. If pan-frying, heat a little olive oil over medium heat.
10. Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side.
11. Place burgers on buns.
12. Serve with more barbecue sauce, and cheese, tomato, lettuce, avocado, or whatever topping you like!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4

Calories 266.6
Total Fat 11.7g
Saturated Fat 6.3g
Cholesterol 29.4mg
Sodium 623.6mg
Total Carbohydrate 26.1g
Dietary Fiber 6.0g
Protein 15.2g
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

The easiest black bean soup recipe EVER is this.

Take 1 can of black beans (I think this equates to 15-16 oz of cooked black beans). Add this to 1/2 a cup of salsa and half a cup of chicken broth. Cook to boiling and then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Then after this take half your soup, blend it well, put it back with the rest of the soup. This makes 2 servings and each serving is 166 calories, 26 grams of carbs, 3 grams fat, 8 grams protein, and 10 grams of fiber!

Then top with some sour cream (like 2 tbsp) and oh man it's sooooo goood

If you go to my blog at www.thistimeits4real.com and search for black bean you'll find pictures of it it when I made it
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #5  

I made this recently:

Sautee some onions and jalapenos in olive oil/butter. Add ginger and garlic, cook for a bit, stir in a can of tomatoes along with turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cardamom, then add spinach and peas, simmer for about a half-hour. I had it over cilantro rice, and have some left over that I will reheat and serve over pasta.

You can easily make your own hummus with chickpeas, too.

White chicken chili, vegetarian chili, daal, ... my next attempt is going to be making homemade bean burgers.

Maybe this recipe (from http://projects.washingtonpost.com/r...pea-burgers/):

spinach-chickpea burgers

Makes five 4-inch patties
Ingredients:

* 5 ounces fresh spinach
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas (from 1 or 2 cans; if using canned, preferably a no-salt-added brand such as Eden
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 lemon
* 1/2 cup chickpea flour (see headnote), or more as needed
* Water (optional)

Directions:

Stem the spinach if desired; wash and dry the leaves.

Heat a dry medium skillet over medium heat. Crush the cumin seeds, then add them to the skillet and toast for a few minutes, stirring, until fragrant. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil; once it is very hot, add the spinach; cook for 2 or 3 minutes, using tongs to move the spinach around so it is completely wilted. Transfer to a plate to cool.

Meanwhile, drain and rinse the chickpeas if using canned. Transfer 1 1/2 cups of them to the bowl of a food processor, along with the eggs and salt. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze one half into the food processor bowl (to yield about 2 tablespoons), being careful not to let any lemon seeds drop in. Pulse 4 or 5 times, to the consistency of a chunky hummus.

Squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the cooled spinach, then chop finely and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of chickpeas; use a potato masher or your hands to mash them coarsely into the spinach.

Add the chunky chickpea-egg mixture and stir to combine, then stir in the chickpea flour. The mixture should be a little sticky. Add flour as needed by tablespoon increments if the mixture is too watery; add water as needed if it is too dry. Form 5 patties of equal size.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers. Cook the patties for 5 minutes, until nicely browned on the bottom, then turn them over and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned on the second side. Transfer to the oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until firm and cooked through.

Serve warm; cut the remaining lemon half into wedges for serving.

Last edited by Hyacinth; 01-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote