Old 01-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #1  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Default 22 Reasons You Might Be Fat Forever

I saw this on a thread from 2005 and just HAD to repost. This is SO true. I also have to say, I read an article the other day that said if you're sucking in on pictures you have yet to deal with the psychological part of being healthy & losing weight. I am just throwing this out there so everyone can recognize what they need to work on!

I know there's a couple of these I DEF gotta get on!

22 Reasons You Might Be Fat Forever

1. You are still looking for a quick and easy solution to weight loss.

2. You think that diet and exercise are the only essential factors involved in weight loss.

3. You have not identified the psychological reasons that drive your eating patterns.

4. You have not learned to manage or heal the psychological reasons that drive your eating patterns.

5. You have a fear of or resistance to growing up and becoming a full adult.

6. You use food as a reward or a treat after any or all stressful events.

7. You think you can lose weight without making exercise a regular part of your day, every day.

8. You think you can lose weight by doing it “your way.”

9. You expect to lose weight without making significant lifestyle changes.

10. You refuse to learn to become a good receiver as well as a good giver.

11. You have never learned to be effectively and appropriately assertive.

12. You have not learned to express your anger in a healthy, honest fashion.

13. You have not learned to be self-nurturing except with food.

14. You are excessively self-critical.

15. You refuse to take responsibility for your life.

16. You resist learning to love yourself.

17. You resist learning to love your body before it is thin.

18. You have not faced your inner fears of being thin.

19. You are certain that spirituality (a connection to a force greater than you) is irrelevant to weight loss.

20. You think you can lose significant weight without the support of others.

21. You have deep emotional wounds that you refuse to explore and heal.

22. You are not prepared to have weight be an issue that you will have to face each and every day for the rest of your life.

OK, now you have some incredibly important information about yourself and the things that are blocking your weight loss. You now have a choice. You can get depressed and go into avoidance or denial, or you can choose to make a renewed and informed commitment to your growth and well-being. The decision you make could change your life and your body for good!

Matthew Anderson, D. Min., is a counselor, organizational consultant, seminar leader and the author of books and tapes that can help you overcome your obstacles to well-being.

Last edited by Krizstyling; 01-14-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I disagree with probably 50% of those...
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

While I agree that for some people there can be a truth to each one of those in regards to weight loss, they all sound like something you can apply to almost anything (aside from losing weight).
A few gave me something to think about though.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #4  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Ditto to stellarosa and stargzr.. I think tons of people have those things going on with them who are NOT fat. I don't think some of them are even really reasons why people don't lose weight..They may be reasons why people have commitment and confidence issues but that doesnt really mean you are overweight...now some people maybe are having depression if they are going through some of those issues, and maybe have a weight problem from depression but even then, certainly not all depressed people are overweight! In fact I can say with the 'resisting loving your body until you are thin" thing that a lot of people start out not really hating their bodies until they try to lose weight and are constantly thinking about their body, and end up being very critical of themselves when they are thin. Not the other way around.

Anyways, I dont mean to burst your bubble Krizstyling, there are a couple valid points in that and I think that the general concept is that there are a whole number of reasons why people struggle with weight, and that I can agree with.

Last edited by Phoenix301; 01-14-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #5  
Working it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargzr View Post
While I agree that for some people there can be a truth to each one of those in regards to weight loss, they all sound like something you can apply to almost anything (aside from losing weight).
A few gave me something to think about though.
Completely agree. Definitely can be used in other situations in life!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #6  
Working it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix301 View Post
Ditto to stellarosa.. I think tons of people have those things going on with them who are NOT fat. I don't think some of them are even really reasons why people don't lose weight..They may be reasons why people have commitment and confidence issues but that doesnt really mean you are overweight...now some people maybe are having depression if they are going through some of those issues, and maybe have a weight problem from depression but even then, certainly not all depressed people are overweight! In fact I can say with the 'resisting loving your body until you are thin" thing that a lot of people start out not really hating their bodies until they try to lose weight and are constantly thinking about their body, and end up being very critical of themselves when they are thin. Not the other way around.

Anyways, I dont mean to burst your bubble Krizstyling, there are a couple valid points in that and I think that the general concept is that there are a whole number of reasons why people struggle with weight, and that I can agree with.
lol I didn't write it, so no bubble burst here =) It was written by a doctor and originally posted by a forum moderator who lost over 150lbs and maintained for 10 years. =) She followed it and posted it and I thought it would be beneficial to others on the board =)
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I don't want to pile all 22 of these edicts on top of the head of every single person who's ever tried to lose weight, I mean, we're talking everyone, and desired weight loss from 5 pounds to 200 pounds.

See, when I read this whole freaking list, all I can think of is:

You bad, bad morally slothful fat person

You better fix all these mental problems you have, because if you did, you'd lose weight.

Yeah, if you were thin, you'd never have any of these deep psychological issues.

BTW, This one bothers me more than any of the others.

Quote:
19. You are certain that spirituality (a connection to a force greater than you) is irrelevant to weight loss.
If you don't believe in God, you can't lose weight?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Saef, I totally agree. I don't think my spirituality has any affect on my weight loss.

Although, I am still overweight, so who knows?
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I don't want to pile all 22 of these edicts on top of the head of every single person who's ever tried to lose weight, I mean, we're talking everyone, and desired weight loss from 5 pounds to 200 pounds.

See, when I read this whole freaking list, all I can think of is:

You bad, bad morally slothful fat person

You better fix all these mental problems you have, because if you did, you'd lose weight.

Yeah, if you were thin, you'd never have any of these deep psychological issues.

I 1000% agree. That one bothered me most out of everything.

I never HATED my body. Not at 223 lbs, and not at 164 lbs. I never looked in the mirror and couldn't stand what I looked at, nor do I beat myself up if I gain a pound.

Also, I use food for a reward now more than I ever did. If I've had a great week where I've worked out and ate on plan, you're darn right I'm going to have a cookie.

And what kind of doctor is he? He sounds like he's more of a motivational, religious speaker than an MD...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

22. You are not prepared to have weight be an issue that you will have to face each and every day for the rest of your life.

I don't know about the first 21. I think the problem with people and weightloss is that we try to fit all these "truths" into a compartmentalized box that we want to be true for everyone. It makes it easier to define, understand, and most of all, market...

22 was true for me, however.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #11  
Working it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post

I don't know about the first 21. I think the problem with people and weightloss is that we try to fit all these "truths" into a compartmentalized box that we want to be true for everyone. It makes it easier to define, understand, and most of all, market...

22 was true for me, however.
So true. I read SO MUCH on weight loss and it has become a daily issue that I face. What am I going to eat, what am I drinking, how many calories, what exercises am I doing today, etc etc. However, it DOES get easier as the the time goes on.

However, even if it becomes second nature to me, I know that I will be working out and conscious of what I put in my body...forever.

For me, I agree with a LOT of these, but that's me. My journey is going to be different then anyone else's as the same can be said for each and every one of us. Some of us get there faster while others it can take years...everyone is on their own journey. I just know that for myself, I am more mentally, physically and spiritually stronger then I ever have been and for once, it's a way of life for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

And here I thought this list gave me an excuse to be fat! I'm fat because I'm an atheist!!!! lol
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

In every bit of advice to do with self-reflection it's all about finding the gems that fit and apply to our own lives. I'm not surprised in the least that several points are being argued. Doesn't mean they are not applicable and helpful to someone else though so should not be discredited.

I personally have taken some of the points and can say that yes, this is me. And it is something that I have to work on. So in that way, this post is helpful. And if it helps a handful of people, it's worthwhile.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #14  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

Ummmm...I've lost 20lbs and I don't work out.

Well...I chase two 1 year olds around...so I kind of work out...haha.

I need to start...I just can't get my but in gear.

some of them are true...but not for everyone. I think the only one that really rings true for almost everyone is the last one.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #15  
Brighter than the moon!

Let me be clear. I'm not saying that this post wasn't helpful.

I think I'm agreeing with what most everyone has said (without actually saying it) that different things work for different people.

However, I am curious to know if the person who compiled this list has ever gone through weight loss himself. I think a lot of the books, programs, etc. out there are designed by people who've never struggled with weight, which is why there are many misconceptions.

I think 22 is probably the most powerful out of all of them. It is something that we're going to have to face every day for the rest of our lives, whether we like it or not. Its sort of become second nature to me, so I don't mind it. I don't know if there will come a time when I'm just so tired by all of it that I say EFF IT, but for now I'm just grateful that I still have the "energy" to remain committed.