Old 01-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #1  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

Default Weight Watchers vs. Calorie Counting

Hi there,

I am toying with the idea of joining WW (online), but am wondering what the main advantages (and disadvantages) are.
I've done calorie counting in the past with so-so results. Mainly the whole thing about planning my entire week in advance to make sure I am eating healthily and within budget is what I can't deal very well with. I will do it for a few weeks and do fine but all the time that it takes to plan and come up with a menu that makes sense becomes tiring. Does WW make it a bit easier?

Any other things you can think of?

Thanks
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

There's another thread on here with a similar title which might help.

I did calorie counting for a while and wasn't successful. I was eating too many calories (using the Sparkpeople guidelines) and had too much leeway in terms of what I was eating (I love bread and butter.)

When I switched to WW, it cut way back on the calories I was eating but since it was counted in "points" I didn't have the psychological issue of "ack, I can't survive on that many calories!"

I have lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks on WW (after none on a few weeks of CC). It's an average of 1.6 per week. I'm not hungry, I have room for treats, and I feel amazing.

I plan my meals day by day, not for the whole week. And I make sure that I eat most of my points using whole foods.

Part of losing weight is changing behavior, so having to take the time to plan your meals and choose healthy foods is what is going to lead to success.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #3  
Learning to fly again

thanks, I will go look for the other thread now
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've done both in the past. It sounds to me like you would benefit from WW. They make it pretty easy with the points. Yes, you're still keeping a count but it's not as elaborate. I don't do WW anymore. I'm not doing calorie counting with a low carb (recent change) that is really helping me control my cravings. I still have a very good impression of WW, but I agree with not giving in too much to the processed foods and trying to keep it whole foods as much as possible. I think our bodies weren't designed to deal with tons of chemicals and processed sugar.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #5  

I am a 15 year old male and I have lost 39lbs in 4 months calorie counting. To me calories are the only thing that matters (concerning healthy eating) and as long as I stay within that regimen I lose weight consistently. I never saw a point to joining any kind of weight loss group/diet.

It's not so complicated, really.

Last edited by Drew C; 01-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Drew C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, group support is very important. I've done best when I've been a member of a group, but for me it doesn't seem to matter which group as long as there's a weekly weigh-in or meeting. I prefer TOPS, just because of affordability, and for the opportunities to win contests and challenges. There's a $5 prize each month for the biggest loser that month, and all sorts of other small contests. In theory, you could win more than you spend (I'm just challenging myself to break even if possible).

In WW, I felt I needed to lose weight consistently to avoid wasting my money. That wasn't a bad incentive, but an incentive to earn money for losing weight, is a little more tangible to me (not to mention more fun).

Some people do fine on their own, but for me support and a little friendly competition really helps.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #7  
Learning to fly again

Kaplods: I think that you are right that a big part of the appeal for WW is the group support, I am not sure it that would still apply if doing the online only version.

I know that calorie counting is not complicated, I just find that it takes a huge time commitment to plan out my meals in advance and shop for them; that's the only way I can make sure I end up eating healthy (i.e. enough fruits and veggies). I do like the idea of just having to count points instead of calories. I have never paid much attention but, is the point information for foods readily available or is it like with calorie counting when sometimes you have to check 3 or 4 sites to get the info? How about when cooking recipes?

What is TOPS? I am not sure I've heard from it before, but I like the idea of it being more affordable
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #8  

with ww online, you just look on the ww site. some general foods and specific brands are already set up. you can set up your own just like on sparkpeople and others. you wouldnt have to look at any other site unless the food is not listed on ww. you can buy a calculator to take with you to calculate point totals at the grocery store or if the restaurant has a list of nutrition info there. i wish there were more restaurant foods set up already. i'm having to set alot up. as far as "counting", i think counting calories is easier. you only have to know the calories and the portion. with ww, you have to have the portion and four other pieces of info and then also a means to calculate points. when my paid time is up, i might just go back and count calories or some other version, like only counting carbs or counting all calories except fruit, or something like that. but i'll have to see how i'm doing at that time.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newshinyme View Post
Kaplods: I think that you are right that a big part of the appeal for WW is the group support, I am not sure it that would still apply if doing the online only version.

I know that calorie counting is not complicated, I just find that it takes a huge time commitment to plan out my meals in advance and shop for them; that's the only way I can make sure I end up eating healthy (i.e. enough fruits and veggies). I do like the idea of just having to count points instead of calories. I have never paid much attention but, is the point information for foods readily available or is it like with calorie counting when sometimes you have to check 3 or 4 sites to get the info? How about when cooking recipes?

What is TOPS? I am not sure I've heard from it before, but I like the idea of it being more affordable
TOPS is a not-for-profit weight loss club (Taking off pounds sensibly). You pay $26 for the national dues (which includes a monthly magazine newsletter with success stories, and chapter news, contests, recipes...).

Then you pay monthly dues to your chapter (or you can belong online with no extra dues). Most chapters meet weekly, and you can follow any diet you want, though an exchange plan is endorsed (I love exchange plans, but I don't use the TOPS plan. My exchange plan is lower carb, based on one I found on the hillbillyhousewife website).

Monthly dues are usually under $5. Yyou can find local groups on the tops.org website, and anyone can start a new chapter with just four members. There are three chapters in my area, and their dues are $2, $3, and $5.

I joined the $5 group, because they have more ways to earn money back. For example, if you are the monthly best loser, you win $5. If you lose 10 lbs and keep it off during the year, at the end of the year, you earn $5 for the first month and $1 for every month you kept that 10 lbs off - so if you lost 10 lbs in January and didn't regain any of it, at the end of the year, you'd get $16.

Also, every week everyone (whether you gain or lose) pays one dime to what we call "the dime contest." The best loser for the week takes home those dimes (usually about $2-$3).

We also have weight gain fines of a dime per pound.

My goal for this year is to break even, so I write down everything I spend (even the dimes), and everything I win.

Our chapter also runs various contests every month. Some of them are silly, but I find them surprisingly motivating. I'm in charge of March's contest, and I'm trying to think up something fun.

For me, the in-person aspect is definitely key. For me online only isn't enough. 3FC is great and really helps keep me motivated, but if I'm not actually weighing in somewhere every week, I tend to procrastinate.

Ideally I'd love a group that met twice a week. Maybe Friday and Monday so I would have more motivation over the weekend.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #10  
Learning to fly again

Thinner - Thanks, it looks like it is just as much work as calorie counting and without the group support of the actual meeting I am not sure now if it will make a big difference.

Kaplods - That sounds like a very good alternative. I will have to go and see if there are any TOPS chapters around here.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

I definitely think it's more psychological then anything else. Weight Watchers IS calorie counting, but in a more supportive format.
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote