Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #1  
IP start June 11, 2014

Default pepperoni with mayonaise?

I was reading on another site where someone asked about the snack pepperoni and cheese if that was an okay snack on Atkins. One person responded that was okay but she would probably "slather the pepperoni with mayonaise to get the extra fat".

Why would someone do this intentionally? I gave my book to someone but I don't recall reading that we should try to get as much fat as possible...where I have read this a lot from others posts.

Jersey Girl and Lillybelle....I have followed your posts and success with Atkins, but I seem to recall that you both eat a lot of veggies and didn't just go hog wild with fat. I get confused with all the opionions.
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am not currently on Atkins but I think peperoni slathered with mayonnaise sounds really disgusting, Gross !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I did Atkins for a bit, and lost a bunch of weight. However I could not keep it off because I could not continue to eat like that.

That being said, I was doing it with my cousin and she claimed to have read the book. This is totally something she would eat. She rarely had any veggies at all and claimed that she needed to have "extra" fat. Used a stick of butter a day etc.

Pepperoni and mayonnaise sounds just gross, but pepperoni and cheese sounds good LOL
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

This is where the "eat liberally" is taken to heart. Yes, the book DOES say to "eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein"...BUT there's also common sense that has to come into play. Too often people take the "eat liberally" too far. It's why Atkins gets a bad reputation! My question is: We're trying to rid our bodies of fat, why put that much fat back INTO it (even if we're going to burn it off)? I'd rather burn veggies and my own body's fat
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Atkins is a high-fat, moderate protein diet, with a huge emphasis on getting your carbohydrates from vegetables. You are aiming to get 65% of your daily calories *at a minimum* from healthy dietary fat. One good source of this is mayonnaise. Others are butter, olive oil, and the fat occurring in meat.

While mayo on pepperoni is not exactly something I would choose, the person you read about may have trouble getting enough fat in her day. Or she really likes mayo. I dunno. But it's not exactly required to dip your pepperoni in mayonnaise.

Vegetables are hugely emphasized on the program... which you could see if you read/still had the book. Mayonnaise is not. It has its place, but this is not the "pepperoni and mayonnaise" diet. It is the broccoli, spinach, brussels sprouts, lettuce, onion, tomato, jicama, cabbage, kale, avocado, bell pepper, fish, pork, beef, chicken, cheese, cream, butter, mayo, oil diet.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #6  
IP start June 11, 2014

Thanks for the clarification...you confirmed what I thought and what I have been practicing. I have just been reading other people's post on what they are doing and it conflicts with what I interpreted this WOE to be. I didn't think I needed to buy the book again, but I just ordered it again so that I have something in Atkin's own words to refer back to when these questions come up. This is going on my 3rd copy that I bought because I keep giving it away when I think I don't need it anymore....
Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenM View Post
why put that much fat back INTO it (even if we're going to burn it off)?
Tons of fat isn't a good idea, but it is important to know that it can be dangerous to combine extremely low-carb dieting with extremely low-fat dieting.

You don't have to force down as much fat as possible, but avoiding fat entirely is not a smart idea. It's one of the reasons (aside from fraud) that the woman maked Kim who created a low-fat modification of Atkins is at the center of so much controversy. At least two people died following her advice.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-13-2011 at 06:07 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #8  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

The high fat content of the diet is one of the reasons why people who loose a dramatic amount of weight don't have that drawn, gaunt look. So many people who start on Atkins have not really read the book, which I highly recommend. It will dispel many of the myths and misconceptions circulating about the Atkins WOE. The whole pepperoni and mayo thing sounds gross to me, but if it works for that person, more power to them. I am sure there are things that I eat they wouldn't like either. I have lost all of my weight with an Atkins WOE.

Last edited by islandchick1; 01-13-2011 at 11:00 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217.5/201/160

Height: 5'4"

I am in total agreement with those that said that its just gross. I do think you are to use common sense when dieting, and eating that regularly, well I think that might be pushing it. I also agree that reading the book is key and not just following others opinions. By word of mouth may not work for all, so reading the book makes sense to me.
amberbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #10  

A very low carb intake inhibits the appetite. Often low carbers find they are not getting enough fat in their diet. I know that when I start to feel sluggish that if I add a spoonful of olive oil or butter to my meals, I feel better. Even though I eat bacon, sausages and skin on my chicken breasts, I need more than that. butter on the veggies, olive oil, more sauteeing in coconut oil, and my skin and hair looks better and I feel better inside.

I have made crisp chips from pepperoni and I have eaten them with a mayo based dip. Not so strange at all.
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #11  
IP start June 11, 2014

Okay, just to clear this up...I have read the New Diet Revolution at least twice. I didn't realize I need to post a resume prior to posting here. I also own Atkins Essentials and Atkins for life (which I own and have read). I loaned out my second copy of NDR and don't have it anymore.

This board is useless if all I am going to hear is "read the book". Why bother having an Atkins forum...everyone can just go "read the book". I posed this question because I thought maybe I missed something and wanted some info from people that have been doing this a while. I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligirl View Post
Okay, just to clear this up...I have read the New Diet Revolution at least twice. I didn't realize I need to post a resume prior to posting here. I also own Atkins Essentials and Atkins for life (which I own and have read). I loaned out my second copy of NDR and don't have it anymore.

This board is useless if all I am going to hear is "read the book". Why bother having an Atkins forum...everyone can just go "read the book". I posed this question because I thought maybe I missed something and wanted some info from people that have been doing this a while. I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
I'm sorry, but it seems like you're the only one who has had a bad attitude in this thread. If you don't like the board, then don't come here. I believe a lot of low-carbers have seen good results and more weight loss by upping their fat intake which is probably what that woman was doing. Honestly, if she wanted pepperoni and mayonnaise, then who are you to judge her?
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #13  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Reading the book...

Kelligirl, I'm sorry you felt we weren't being helpful. I think it's very possible that the reason some people suggest reading "the book" is that we aren't doctors or nutritionists, and maybe we don't want to misguide anyone.

We do offer our Atkins buddies the wisdom of our experiences and the support of our encouragement.

Now, let's see if this grosses anyone out:

One day when I was craving a big fat BLT, I fried up some bacon and dipped the crispy slices in mayonnaise. GROSS! but it did the trick for my craving...

And I've tried Islandchick's splenda and cinnamon on a cheese slice...GROSS! but it was delicous and did taste a lot like cinnamon toast.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Hm, you know, maybe a couple of slices of tomato spread with mayo and topped with bacon....... now that sounds tasty!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluvion View Post
Hm, you know, maybe a couple of slices of tomato spread with mayo and topped with bacon....... now that sounds tasty!
Now you've got me hungry for bacon,tomato and mayo! *goes to the freezer to check if there's any bacon in it*.......
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote