Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Default No counting fruit or veggeis calories?

No counting fruit or veggies calories? Is there some one here who does not count veggies or fruit calories , I mean not like i going to eat 8 bananas or 10 apples but like the recommend it amount 5 to 10 in f/v .

Thinking in something like 1200 + F/V , Thanks

I breastfeed a 15 months old baby

EDIT TO ADD: I was thinking that will be OK whit the veggeis, but count the fruit rigth?

Last edited by Tuca125; 01-13-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #2  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

I'd be careful about such a low calorie target while breastfeeding even with free fruit and veggies. Toddlers may also eat solid foods, but they have higher calorie needs than infants too, so the nutritional stress on you may not be much less.

Aside from that, I have to count everything or I'd end up with too high a total calorie count, but the weight watchers program does free fruit and veggies so it must work for some people.
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I count everything too.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Have you been counting fruit and veggies? At what calorie level? Why would you want to switch?

I'm just curious, really, but if what you've been doing has been working, why would are you thinking of changing?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

If you are lowering your calorie count in order to have "free" fruits and veg, are they really "free" then? I think it is just to encourage people to choose an apple over baked chips, which is good, but not really free if you lower the allowed intake of other foods. I did WW before, awesome program, Lifetime member, but it is essentially fancy calorie counting. I think "free" fruits and veg is a good move on their part, as long as people use it as intended, to get the recommended number of servings a day instead of empty calories they may be eating instead.
1200 seems really low for a nursing mom! I did WW while nursing and they recommended adding in approx 500 calories a day.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #6  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

Well, two issues. One, you are breast feeding and that affects your weight and two fruits are extremely high in calories. I count everything especially fruit. I would count fruit before FF cocoa because of the calories in fruit is so much higher. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure even WW doesn't have "free fruit" like they do veggies. It just isn't practical.

Veggies vary but I tend to count most of them.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Taylor View Post
Well, two issues. One, you are breast feeding and that affects your weight and two fruits are extremely high in calories. I count everything especially fruit. I would count fruit before FF cocoa because of the calories in fruit is so much higher. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure even WW doesn't have "free fruit" like they do veggies. It just isn't practical.

Veggies vary but I tend to count most of them.
Fruit is "zero points" in WW. It is to be "eaten to satisfaction, not stuffed." And you need to let your weight loss be your guide.

That said, WW has come up with a program and base 'points' that allows fruit to be zero points and still result in weight loss (1.6 lbs a week for me so far). But you might not be able to adopt that with another program. Especially with breastfeeding.

I'd make sure you have enough calories (+500) for breastfeeding and have fruit be some of those calories.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #8  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

It used to have points. I am not a fan of WW so my knowledge is old and based on what I found with a quick search of a site I used to use. I tend to be pretty anti-WW though so I don't keep up. When I did it an apple was 1 or 2 points. Notice I did say I was "pretty sure" not that I was "100% positive."

Last edited by Jesse Taylor; 01-13-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Thanks for the answers ....

Is to hard for me think that I need to many calorie for my baby , she is old and she does not drink as much as she use to.

I did ww for my weight loss , I have been stuck ( no plateau ) more like motivation , so i was thinking to do something different to see if i get on the wagon again.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #10  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I count my veggies because I can easily eat 100 cals of veggies in one sitting. Do that 2xs a day, lunch and dinner and you've just added 200 cals to your day.

I can tell you RE: the breastfeeding that going to 1200 will decrease your supply. We stopped at 14.5 months because I had gone to only pumping once a day and started reducing my cals and I pretty much dried up. I was ok with it because we were ready to stop anyway, but if you plan to continue be watchful of that.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I count all fruits and most veggies, but there are some veggies that I often eat with out counting. Veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, celery, lettuce are ones I treat as free. Veggies like broccoli and green beans are basically free, I'd have to eat 3 cups of each to be at 100cal and that's incredibly unlikely! But I do know which veggies are higher cal and I count those: peas, corn, edamame, garbanzoes, carrots, etc. So, I do a little of both and that seems to work for now. I may find that I need to keep a closer eye on cals as I get closer to goal.

Last edited by Jen516; 01-15-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote