Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Struggling

It's only been 12 days of the "new lifestyle" and I feel like I'm already slipping. Yesterday and today were awful. After I spent all last week battling three huge things (quitting smoking, TOM, and starting the weight loss journey), I kicked last week's a**! I was so proud of myself! As of this past Monday, I had lost 10 pounds since I started! Then, something happened, and I don't know what it was.

Yesterday and today, I've been failing. I have grabbed every carb in the house and wolfed them down with incredible speed and ease. I sit there and eat and the whole time I'm thinking about how fat and stupid and lazy and pathetic I am. What is WRONG with me?! How can my resolve slip away so quickly????

I don't know whether to go get in bed and sleep the rest of this day away and start fresh in the morning, or if I'm just giving up already, or what. It's so frustrating - I'm so mad at myself. :-(

Emmy <3
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Stop, take a breath, drink some water and make your next meal on plan and the one after that and the one after that. If the next one isn't on plan, then make the next one after that on plan and so on and so on. No one has made it to goal without have a few to a few hundred slip ups. They made it to goal because the kept coming back to their plan. Good luck! Persistance!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

This is a journey, a long road, not a sprint. The only good things that last only a few days are vacations. You took on a lot in a very short time, maybe too much and your body decided to have its say by tossing TOM at you. Those of us that have been on track for over a year can still struggle with TOM every month.

ncuneo is spot on. Take a breath. Don't give up. Move on from here and don't dwell on your perceived failures. You haven't failed, you've stumbled and even the greatest athletes in the world do that. Keep your chin up and get your head back in the game.

Good luck.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy1979 View Post
I have grabbed every carb in the house and wolfed them down with incredible speed and ease. I sit there and eat and the whole time I'm thinking about how fat and stupid and lazy and pathetic I am. What is WRONG with me?! How can my resolve slip away so quickly????

Wow, this sounds exactly like me about a month ago. I have no idea what was going through my head when this was going on with me, but I would just walk up to the cupboards telling myself I'm not hungry and that I shouldn't eat, and then I would pig out on everything and anything sweet I could find that I knew was *bad* for me (this was right around Christmas when we had tons of sweets around). I would just sit on the couch and eat and eat and eat knowing that it wasn't good for me, but I literally couldn't stop...it felt like I was possessed. I still don't have any idea why it happened, but it did...

...and now I have found stability counting calories, and I didn't give up, so you shouldn't either!! I know it was something emotional with me...maybe I felt like I had deprived myself for so long that I just pigged out...I honestly don't know what happened because after two or three days I was fine. Weird. Stay strong, though, and keep at it. I'm a food addict/emotional eater, and sometimes it's minute to minute for me.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #5  
mandagrl

S/C/G: 268.4/248/199

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

:hug Girlie, this is just a bump in the road, not a hurdle. You can get over it and you will, I promise. Think back to December 31, 2010 and remember WHY you decided to change your life. What motivated you then? If 10 lbs lost wasn't your goal, then grab ahold of that 2010 motivation and start back. There's never truly a point of giving up because if you aren't at your goal, you'll come back at some point. Just make that "some point" now and start calorie counting. Even if you're still eating too much today or tomorrow, you will see small successes whether it be you choosing one snack that is lower cal than one you had yesterday.

Don't let it beat you! You're strong and better than all the carbs in this world and you DESERVE the new, healthy life. Claim it girlie!
mandagrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

You lost 10lbs in one week? That's certainly not awful!! Quitting smoking isn't an easy task and it could be your desire to smoke that's making you want to eat. Like Jesse said, it's a long road. You don't have to beat yourself up. You shouldn't beat yourself up. I do have to ask though, how much are you eating? If it's not enough, that can also make you want to eat like crazy. Also, some people find the more carbs they eat the more they want.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Are you on a plan like weight watchers or calorie counting? Are you tracking your food? I find that having a plan to fall back on, and tracking my food really keep me accountable since I know I have to write down that extra hunk of bread, and track its points.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Thanks a bunch, everyone. I know what I need to do is restart immediately. I have been calorie counting, and it works super-well! I like the accountability aspect of it. Of course, yesterday I stopped entering my calories once I went haywire. And today, I entered my (perfect) breakfast calories, and then proceeded to start stuffing my face a couple of hours ago. Haven't entered any calories in since... so much for my accountability, huh?

I'm gonna get there. Like you all said, it's not a sprint. And, I need to accept the fact that I gave myself reeeeeeeeeally lofty goals all at once. So, I stumbled. It's time to get back on track!

Thanks so much to you all - gosh, it really helps to be able to come on here for some motivation!!!! :-)

Emmy <3
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Throw away all the things in your house that you shouldn't be eating!!! Spray it with Windex first so you don't fish it out of the trash!!!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #10  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Go ahead and count all those extra calories you ate. Try to estimate on the high side if in doubt. Sometimes seeing it in black and white will help.

I find that initial motivation so fleeting! Some of us need to really plan and set ourselves up for success. If it will help, write down ahead of time exactly what you will eat for the next week, and then stick to it. Even if you have to pace the floor, take a bubble bath, do yourself a pedicure, just don't eat anything you didn't plan to eat. Easier said than done! But winging it is HARD when that "possession" someone above talked about takes over!

You are disappointed in yourself for feeling like giving up so soon, but to me, you are in the absolute HARDEST phase of this. Honestly I look back on those first few weeks and I am SO thankful to myself for getting over that initial hump. I'm still not sure how I did it!! Get over the hump and it's much smoother sailing. IF you have a sustainable plan based on what your body needs, of course.

Last edited by shannonmb; 01-12-2011 at 04:49 PM.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I notice for me that the days where i feel like i need to eat everything in sight are typically the days right before i drop a pound or two, i've come to the assumption that it is my body going 'oh s**t we are losing weight, must be bad, must need more fuel'

Your body might have caught up with the fact you lost that weight and is doing something similar.

either way if its mental or physiological just try and ride through it as best you can and remember its not falling off the wagon that makes a failure, its not getting back on and giving it another try. Good luck!!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm with Stacygee.....take that food that is fighting with you and destroy it!!!
Fling it into the yard, douse it with detergent. Really kill it!! Then take a deep breath after your Victory! You may not win every battle, but you've won that one.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xcharm View Post
I'm with Stacygee.....take that food that is fighting with you and destroy it!!!
Fling it into the yard, douse it with detergent. Really kill it!! Then take a deep breath after your Victory! You may not win every battle, but you've won that one.
LIKE LIKE LIKE- where's the LIKE button!!!!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #14  
gym bunny

S/C/G: 210/168/140

Height: 5ft 6

Hey, its okay. Its a journey. All roads get a little bumpy at times. Tomorrow is a different day, and you can get back at it. I feel your fustration though, as its been about 12 days for me as well, and I already missed two gym days due to this obnoxious weather.
nickyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/220/140

Height: 5'7''

Everytime you feel like eatting, think about it...go for a walk, or make a list(that way youre thinking about something else.) Do something to get your mind off of it, and if youre still wanting it 30 mins later, then eat just a little bit of it. It might help to put a sign in your kitchen(am I hungry or just bored?)
JordanLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote