Exercise! - couch to 5k beginner - excited!

View Full Version : couch to 5k beginner - excited!

JessandEmma2011
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi all! On Monday I started the couch to 5k walk/jog plan, and today is week 1, day 2. I am excited to be jogging now, and I want to stay excited! The first day I did it I really liked it...it feels really good to move my body and experience what I am capable of now, and to think of what I will be capable of in months from now. Is any one else psyched about exercize? Share with me!

:high:

NYGiantsGirl
01-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Oooh, maybe I should start doing this 3 mornings a week. Running scares me. But maybe this will be OK!

Ilene
01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
C25K is an excellent beginner program for runners ... When starting a new week and you feel it's too difficult just repeat the week before, the program is not written in stone so change it up to suit your needs...

Good luck and :bravo: for starting to run!

Sindaena
01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
I did W2D2 yesterday and am really excited about it! :carrot::carrot:

I won;t do w3d3 until Saturday because my weight training leg day falls on Friday, but that extra day of rest worked well in w1, making the last day seem easy enough that I was less daunted about moving up to W2. I hope it keeps on working that way!

Robsia
01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Good luck!! I started with C25K and now I'm training for a marathon!!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
01-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Love it!
I started with a 5K, and I liked it so much that I've just registered for an 8K!

Hopefully I can keep it going.... :) Enjoy!

Kimberly2011
01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I started C25K a week ago and just completed W2D1 tonight! In fact, I posted earlier, before my workout, because I was soooo nervous about running straight for 90 seconds - but I did it!! :carrot: In fact, I actually found Week 2 to be easier than week 1! I think it may be the fact that you can walk for 2 full minutes after jogging. In any case - yes, I am LOVING it! I feel so thrilled when I actually finishe another day!

JessandEmma2011
01-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Yay! So great to hear from you ladies!!! I was so into my jog today, that I didn't even notice that I had jogged an additional 2 blocks than I had planned. I jog again on Saturday, and I'm looking forward to it! Never thought I would enjoy a jog, and I'm MORE than confident that it will do wonders for our bodies....yay us!!!!

stasiagurl91
01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I am doing it too, but I alternated ther time to suit my abilities. Be proud of yourself and keep going. You're the only one who can change you. Look forward to that great after workout feeling

JessandEmma2011
01-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks, stasiagurl91! I am proud that I am actually gettinf my exercize in. I wish you the very best on your journey - after a month or so, I'm sure we shall see and feel some significant differences!

Sindaena
01-16-2011, 04:06 PM
JessandEmma - How did your jog go yesterday? :cheer:

Irishchic
01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi ladies! I too am doing C25k. I started week 3 today. It's so amazing how I feel so insecure-he wants me to run for how long! (I do a pod cast that cues my runs) But you do it and you can't believe how easy it is. Pretty cool. I live in the Tampa Bay, Florida area and we have a very popular run coming up an I will be finished with the program just in time to run the 5k at the end of February. Very exciting!

Jenchick11
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi all! I'm also doing the couch to 5k run.
I completely week 1, the week before last. I got sick and fell off my schedule which discouraged me big time.

However, tomorrow I will start back up with week 2 and begin running 90 seconds. yikes!! I plan to run on Mon, Wed, Fridays.

Does anyone wanna buddy up on me with this so I can stay accountable and maybe help you if you need it too?
I'd love that (and need it)!

Good luck to all of you guys! Here's to 5k for us all!!! :)

joyfulloser
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I started running last week of September 2010. I see we have very similar stats. When I first started running, I could only run 30 seconds, walk 2 minutes and repeat for 20 mins. I now run 4-5 miles 4 times a week (16-18 miles)...it's crazy how fast you can progress in this.

Oh and although I didn't do C25K, I did my own version of...just going as far as my body would let me and constantly pushing it further each week.

You can do this!!! It's only been a little over 4 months since I've started calorie counting and running and I've lost about 40 lbs!;)

Much success to you...and remember...YOU WILL get back what you PUT IN...just STICK WITH IT!!!:D

Jenchick11
01-16-2011, 10:42 PM
wow joyfulloser, my eyes widen when I read your post! That is such inspiration to me!!! You are doing awesome! I'd love to 40 lbs like you have! I'm shy of 10 lbs of your starting weight and it would be so fanastic to get down to where you are and are heading! good for you!!
So when you say you started calorie counting, what do you mean by that? did you follow anything in particular?
Congrats again btw! This gives me hope not to stop this couch to 5k no matter what!

joyfulloser
01-16-2011, 10:52 PM
wow joyfulloser, my eyes widen when I read your post! That is such inspiration to me!!! You are doing awesome! I'd love to 40 lbs like you have! I'm shy of 10 lbs of your starting weight and it would be so fanastic to get down to where you are and are heading! good for you!!
So when you say you started calorie counting, what do you mean by that? did you follow anything in particular?
Congrats again btw! This gives me hope not to stop this couch to 5k no matter what!

Thanks!:) I keep a log on my thread below that explains everything I've done with daily updates, some of my favorite recipes (w/pics) and my daily ups and downs. It can be found here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/220403-joyfuls-journey-drop-26-lbs.html

Hope this helps!:)

JessandEmma2011
01-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi, Sindaena! The jog went great, and I actually just got done with my 4th jog! I'm actually really surprised how well today went! I was jogging more than the regimen calls for. I want to basically do the program, but I am also listening to my body, and it is really working out! I can already tell that my tummy is smaller than a week ago when I started. I'm excited for even more time to pass!

How are your jogs going? How is your body feeling? I hope it is going well - let me know!

fromthebox
01-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Hi all! I just did W1D1, and it felt so good! I've been afraid of running since high school when I had an achilles injury. It healed entirely years ago but I never got in to running. So here I am, just not enamored of the idea of running, like I'll tire out in an instant but I didn't! I made it through Day 1, now onward!
It gives me hope that someday I could run 4-5miles like you Joyfulloser!

joyfulloser
01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks "fromthebox"!;) I'm 43 (almost 44), smoked for 20+ yrs..quit a year before I started running and I did it....If I can do it...ANYBODY CAN!!! Trust me...I haven't run since high school, but for me that was over 25 yrs ago..haha!

I don't like to sound like I'm ready for diapers and pepsident, but things get harder as you age, so I'm hoping this will motivate further to KNOW you can do it!:hug:

JessandEmma - It's AMAZING how FAST running will change your body!:o It's toned my abs, legs and butt more than any other exercise has ever done for me. Glad to see your already seeing nice ab slimming results!;) It's funny, but your the only person here I've ever heard mention the tighter abs from running. I don't do sit ups, and had a huge gut and back fat at the start. Now I'm sporting a pretty lean tummy (4-5 pack..haha)!

JessandEmma2011
01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey joyfulloser! Today will be W2D2, and I cannot wait to get home from work to jog! I can't believe I'm the only one that has mentioned the ab-slimming effect of running or walking! I read that it is the best thing you can do for your core. Better than crunchies or sit-ups - it's a myth that we can "spot tone". My girlfriends and I take a "girl's trip" every year, and this year in September we are planning on running some kind of race together. Ahhh....this really is turning into a lifestyle change!

Eire
01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Couch to 5k is such a good plan! I'm doing Week 6 Day 2 today. I NEVER thought I'd be able to run 2 miles at a time. It's weird, because I had to repeat a lot of the earlier weeks several times before feeling ready to move on, but on Friday I did 20 minutes straight on my first try. I'm still giddy about it, haha.

Good luck ladies - we can do this!

JessandEmma2011
01-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Yay! I'm just finished "W2D2", but I was jogging for whole "songs" at a time! That's 3-4 mins, instead of 90 seconds. I have a feeling it will take me a while to be able to jog more than 10 mins at a time, but, as mentioned, I am just going to keep listening to my body and push it a little more each day. I can tell where my "comfortable" pace is right now, and I hope it gets a little faster. How is everyone doing out there?

fromthebox
01-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Just finished W1D3. Am wondering if it is bad for me to do the days in succession. It says only 3x a week, but I'm i the gym usually 5x a week and I'm really liking the workout I get from this. I've been doing 15 min stairclimber lvl 7 and 20 min walking prior to this, and now doing 15 min stairclimber plus the C25k workout is feeling fine. Should I force myself to walk on the other days I'm at the gym or maybe do W1 stuff on those days once I start next week?

Of course, once I move to week two I might not want to do this every day, but I like a challenge. Today for instance I did the 20 min workout W1D3 then came back to the treadmill for another 15 min of 60s run 90s walk.

Joyfulloser - you are an inspiration. I wish I was as confident as you are in my ability to do this. Still scared of running for 20 min straight. Heck, scared of 10 min!

joyfulloser
01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Joyfulloser - you are an inspiration. I wish I was as confident as you are in my ability to do this. Still scared of running for 20 min straight. Heck, scared of 10 min!

Thanks again!:hug:

Fromthebox - I was scared too! I couldn't imagine running for 5 mins without stopping. It almost seemed impossible!:( But you CANNNNN do it...it's only your mind that tells you that you can't!;) Your lungs will adjust faster than your joints will, so don't push too hard or you may have an injury set back. MAKE SURE to stretch well after each run (this will prevent injury).

To answer your question, when I first started, I was run/walking 5-6 days a week...yes, everyday just about. But I was run/walking....and for only 20 mins/session. When you start hardcore running, you should give yourself a day off of running between runs. You can do some other form on "non-impact" aerobics on your days off if you choose. For now...I choose to just give my body the rest...I find it appreciates it and my performance when running gets way better when I rest in between. That's for now though...I'll have to see what my body demands later on as I get even closer to goal!:D

sept15lija
01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
OH, I am so ready to start this again. I started and got to week 2, before stopping last time. I need to exercise so badly - my body needs major toning and I need more energy! Hmmm....now when should I start....how about tonight! :)

joyfulloser
01-21-2011, 09:46 AM
OH, I am so ready to start this again. I started and got to week 2, before stopping last time. I need to exercise so badly - my body needs major toning and I need more energy! Hmmm....now when should I start....how about tonight! :)

Sorry...totally off-topic, BUT...your daughter could not possibly be any CUTER! Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhh!:D

SDV219
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Wow, I congratulate all of you!! You're stories and inspiration is awesome!! I just finished W1D1 and feel GREAT!! I can't believe I could actually carry my body for 60 seconds of running!! It was amazing ... at first I wanted to give up, but I'm usually not one to quit. I thought while I was listening to my music (I too have an app on my iPhone where a man tells you what to do) that I might not be ready for this yet. But after completing it, I feel amazing!! If I wasn't smart, I'd actually do it again! :D

Here's to our journey on our 5K~ :congrat:

Sindaena
01-23-2011, 08:47 PM
:bravo: SDV219! Great work! I think getting started really is the hardest part!

(Although W4 is looking kinda scary for tomorrow. I've always been able to do it before in spte of what I thought beforehand, so no reason w4 should be different.)

Aunt Sheshie
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Tomorrow I join the ranks of C25kers... W1D1... I'm so excited!.. it's been many years since I did any running, but I'm pretty confident that I can do this program... all y'all's posts in this thread are so inspiring... glad to become one of you!..

hugs :hug:

Sindaena
01-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Welcome Aunt Sheshie. You can do it!! :carrot:

Aunt Sheshie
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks Sindaena!.. you said I could do & you were right!!!.. I just came in from my W1D1... to say the least, I'm thrilled!.. when I started my first 1-minute jog, I thought, this is already hard, how am I gonna last 20 minutes?.. but I just kept going & before I knew it, I was finished... I was going back & forth the unpaved road in front of my house, so sometimes I was on sand or on gravel or on caliche & sometimes I was going uphill or downhill... the hills weren't steep, but I could feel the difference... ready to go again for W1D2... I know the C25K program calls for 3 times a week, but has anybody done it more than that?.. I thought I'd see how I feel tomorrow & maybe do it again, except this time drive to a nearby park...

Now for yoga... aaaahhhhhhh...:yoga:

hugs :hug:

fromthebox
01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Aunt Sheshie - Congrats! I felt the same way when I started last week, and I did W1 four times (and one day I did my 20min, went to do some stretching/weights and the came back for another 15 min). Joyfulloser made a good point - we should not work too hard to avoid injury but if you feel good and want to do it more, go ahead!

Now to get off my butt for W2D1:carrot:

SDV219
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
WooHoo!! W1D2 completed! Love this new routine!! I can't wait for Thursday to do it again!! I can't believe how great I felt running this one ... it really does get easier!! :carrot:

Sindaena
01-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Gratz Aunt Seshie, SDV219, and Fromthebox! It's a great feeling to accomplish more than you thought you could, isn't it?

I did W4D1 Monday and plan to do W4D2 this evening. Week 4 seems like such a big jump, even just to look at. I did slow down even more on the runs, but I made it through and I am sure I can do it again today. One thing that helps me is to eat higher carbs during the day before my runs. I can really feel the difference in energy if I miss my last snack before the run or am too low in carbs for the day. Of course, ymmv as with everything else. :)

JessandEmma2011
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Hello, ladies! I'm so excited that everyone is so happy with their workouts! Doesn't it feel great to move your legs, and your body generally, at a faster pace? I'm in Week 3, and I already feel more, well, powerful! That sounds strange, but it feels soooooo great to really, really USE my muscles. I know I will (eventually) be rewarded by being able to see those muscles as more defined under my skin. Great job ladies - let's keep it up!

SDV219
01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
YAY! I finished week 1!! :carrot:
It's amazing how much better I felt during the run too! I could tell that I wasn't out of breath as easy, and I could make it through it WITH increasing my pace!! I'm on the treadmill b/c we've been getting hit with snow pretty bad this week, but I can't wait to get out there and run!! I'm a little nervous about W2D1, but I will slow it down if I have to! I started W1D1 and ran a little over a mile to ending W1 with 1.5 miles!! So that's an improvement in just 3 short days!! I can't wait to see what I can accomplish in the next few weeks!!

Keep up the great work!!

fromthebox
02-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Oof, anyone else have trouble taking it from Week 2 to Week 3? I just could NOT do the second 3min run, I finished out on 90s run 2min walk today. I am starting to wonder if this is because I am doing this after 10 min on the stairmaster as I like ending my workout with the run. Anyone else have experience with this being difficult while doing a longer total workout? I am still worried that when I go in on Wednesday I won't be able to do the three minutes again. I know they say its OK to take it easy, but I have been exercising regularly for a long time, why is this so hard? I would feel a bit like I failed if I couldn't move on.

KmbRN84
02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I did day 1 of week 3 to yesterday and it was challenging. I was able to complete it, but I am not sure I would have been able to if I had just spent 10 min on the stairmaster. I am worried about next week though when I am supposed to jog for FIVE minutes, yikes!

Changergirl
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I just did (tried to do) wk3d1 and like fromthebox was unable to finish the last run. I made it to 1:30 and was dying. I did do an extra 1:30 after 2 minutes of walking. I notice you posted a couple weeks ago and was wondering if you eventually succeeded, I'm worried this will be my stopping point. Strangely I thought I was doing so well the last 2 runs of wk 2. Oh well.

uncontentgirl
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a question about this: I am already a beginning runner (as of last week, can do 5min of jogging...yay!). Can I download this app and just start on whatever week I feel I feel is up to my level?

Changergirl
02-16-2011, 12:58 AM
wow, 5 minutes of jogging, good job uncontentgirl! I can't wait to get there. I know alot of people use this as a template and tweek it to fit their needs. At your level I'd start off at week 4 of even week 5 and go from there. I really like this program because I know I'm working towards something and I can go at my own pace.

Sindaena
02-16-2011, 02:09 AM
I capped out halfway through week 6 (last week). But, part of my problem is that I run on a treadmill and get bored during long runs. So I have kinda hopped ships to my own program for the time being - 1 12 minute run (1 mile for me; I run @ 5mph) then 5 minute walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk, 3 minute run all surrounded by a warm up and cool down of course. Being able to run a streaight mile is important to me. When I started seven weeks ago, I struggled through all the 1 minute run reps, so c25k definitely worked for me. It was just that from the last day of week 6 through the end it's all long runs with no intervals and I dreaded it. I made it through the 20 minutes of w5d3 just barely, so I might be able to do it, but it's hard to make yourself do something you dread. Soo... I'll get to that goal more slowly than c25k progresses past mid week 6 and focus on distance instead. I don't really want to run even slower to make the c25k times and find it just makes my calves tight and sore to do so anyway. My total interval run design is 1.5 miles running @ my pace. I will add three minute intervals on to 2 miles as it starts to feel easier and then combine the first two...

Anyway, that was my experience with the later weeks. I'm a c25k dropout but not a running drop out. :)

fromthebox
02-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Changergirl I did make it there eventually. It really killed my mood to not make it thru that one. I'm back at it, took two weeks for W3, and did W4D1 on Sunday. Going to try D2 tomorrow when I wake up. What I learned is that you have to make this the priority of your workout schedule and that for me at least, past W3 I am unable to do it on consecutive days without taking too much out of myself. I am not taking full rest days in between, but I am trying to keep it to walking or other light cardio followed by weights. If you thought the 3min jog was bad, wait 'til the 5min in week 4. It got easier to make it to that point, but the last 5 I had to leave it all on the treadmill, no reserve.

chickadee32
02-16-2011, 03:02 AM
I REALLY want to do this eventually. I hate running :lol: but I want to be able to do it. It's been literally years though since I've run, and until a few weeks ago I did no regular exercise. I'm going to get more comfortable with my walking on the treadmill over the next few weeks, and then give this a try. I'll be terrified to have other people see me (try to) run!

mydearthing
02-16-2011, 04:44 AM
I'm doing this.. have the scary week 5 day 3 run tomorrow- the first non-interval 20 minute run! Have been dreading it, but managed to extend the second 8 minute run on day 2 to 12 minutes, so now I know I CAN run 20 minutes, just need to leave the safety blanket of the walking interval in the middle behind! :)

I absolutely love C25k- it makes me really excited for my jogs every week and I've got several 5k's entered for the summer! I'm already considering what I want to do after the program, looking to building up to one hour running? Or 10k?

For anyone thinking about doing the c25k.. do it! It's amazing! :)

aimeebell
02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't really want to run even slower to make the c25k times and find it just makes my calves tight and sore to do so anyway.

I run at 5 or 5.5. I noticed that if I run slower than 5 it makes my calves hurt too. I was wondering if it was because I end up actually manually pushing the treadmill.

aimeebell
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm doing this.. have the scary week 5 day 3 run tomorrow- the first non-interval 20 minute run! Have been dreading it, but managed to extend the second 8 minute run on day 2 to 12 minutes, so now I know I CAN run 20 minutes, just need to leave the safety blanket of the walking interval in the middle behind! :)

I am at nearly the same point in the program. Today will be my second day of week five. If I make it through that 20 minute straight run on Friday, I am officially signing up for a 5K on March 13!

Changergirl
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
woohooo, I made it thru W3D2 without stopping, an accomplishment for me definitely! I did have to do the running at my slowest speed to date, I was around 4.8, but I upped my walking to 3.7. Good job to the rest of you. I really can't wait to get to the point where running for 5 minutes doesn't seem like a nightmare.

OhMyDogs
02-16-2011, 03:58 PM
I really want to try the C25K but I think I need to wait until I lose weight. The arthritis in my knee is pretty picky, and I think I would kill it if I tried running on it. I don't doubt that when I am 50 or 60lbs lighter, it would be a lot easier for my knee to take.

mydearthing
02-17-2011, 05:07 AM
I am at nearly the same point in the program. Today will be my second day of week five. If I make it through that 20 minute straight run on Friday, I am officially signing up for a 5K on March 13!

You will definitely make it through! I hope your run yesterday went well! It's great having someone else at a similar point in the program, hopefully we could try and motivate each other through it. :)

I just completed the 20 minutes! Feels like I've overcome a complete mental barrier, but physically I feel very fit and my legs aren't sore at all! :carrot: Very pleased and excited to move onto week 6 now!

:D

mydearthing
02-17-2011, 05:11 AM
woohooo, I made it thru W3D2 without stopping, an accomplishment for me definitely! I did have to do the running at my slowest speed to date, I was around 4.8, but I upped my walking to 3.7. Good job to the rest of you. I really can't wait to get to the point where running for 5 minutes doesn't seem like a nightmare.

You will do don't worry! I remember thinking the one minute runs in week one were tough!! That's why I love the program so much!

And I run really slowly as well- I've read its more important to run slowly and complete the times and then improve on speed later. :) There's no way I'll be able to do 5k in 30 minutes by the end of week 9, but I'll be happy just being able to run 30 minutes!

reptogirl
02-19-2011, 02:16 AM
i also started c25k today, i got through the w1d1 totally out of breath and hurting but i am over 300 lbs so that is to be expected...and i smoke. but i am just glad i did it, the last 2 runs my legs hurt so bad i didn't think i could do it...but after i caught my breath and the pain died down...i have felt good the rest of the day..like alive good, and i have to say i am looking forward to my next day of it, which will be sunday. i did download a couple of versions of week one from different people, so i can listen to different music every time i do it. i started a topic of links for the podcast, or just mp3s so if you have any to add please do...i know it will help me to keep it mixed up to keep interest

Changergirl
02-20-2011, 12:23 AM
ouch, just finished my 4th run of week 3 (I'm definitely doing this week twice), and my right calve started to really cramp up during the 2nd 1.5 minute run. I had to walk for 2.5 minutes to get up to the point where I could run again. I did finish the last 3 minutes, and things are getting better, but I'm wondering if there are certain stretches people are doing before they run. I normally don't stretch at all and this is the first time my calves started to ache.
Thanks in advance!

mydearthing
02-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Completed W6D1 today! Felt goooood! Can't wait for the 25mins on Thursday (and never thought I'd say that!!) :carrot:

redhead1969
02-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I was so thrilled to see this thread today. I am starting this program tomorrow. My goal is to do a 5k in May. Thanks for the motivation!
Has anyone tried the iPod/iPhone app for this? Opinion?

rainbow84uk
02-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm aiming to start Wk1 tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

kim150
02-20-2011, 01:36 PM
hi ladies! I stumbled upon your great thread, and I was so excited! i did c25k for the first time in 2003. I have fallen off the wagon 2x in 8 years, and had to repeat the program to get back on track, but i have run 4 miles 3 times a week for most of the weeks in those 8 years. As long as I do that, my weight is pretty controlable. I am heavier than I would like at 165, but I fit into an 8 or a 10. When I stop running for 2 or 3 months, i shoot up to 180 and a snug 14...my advice to you and myself is grab c25k, and don't let go. I have never raced, or anything like that, but I have basic control of my weight with those simple steps three times a week.

my weak link is my shins/calves- they tire first...the weird thing is that, to this day, they still try to tighten up during that first half mile, but they are fine at one mile. make sure your shoes are tight enough to support your feet properly, b/c if your are unstable in the shoe, your shin/calf muscles try to stabilize you, and that can wear them out or make them cramp. you might get tight every run for the first half mile, but if you stopped there, you would never realize that your calves loosen up at the end of a whole mile...yyaaaayy c25k for keeping us running beyond that first half mile!!!!

sorry for the long post by an outsider..LOL...you all rock.....

CherryPie99
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I didn't do the C25K program, but a different running interval program. The one thing both of these programs have in common is that there is the big 20 minute run. Well, guess what? I just finished running for 20 minutes straight - YAY! This seemed more then IMPOSSIBLE just a couple of months ago.

I'm still running slow, but I am running!

aimeebell
02-21-2011, 12:16 PM
You will definitely make it through! I hope your run yesterday went well! It's great having someone else at a similar point in the program, hopefully we could try and motivate each other through it. :)

I just completed the 20 minutes! Feels like I've overcome a complete mental barrier, but physically I feel very fit and my legs aren't sore at all! :carrot: Very pleased and excited to move onto week 6 now!

:D

Good for you! I, however, did not complete the full 20 minutes :( It was so windy out, I ran for just 12 minutes, then walked a 1/4 mile, then ran 1/4 mile. I feel like I could have done it if it weren't for the wind making me feel like I was pushing a truck on the back half of the run. I moved onto week six anyway, and will see how I do on the 25 minute run on Thursday.

aimeebell
02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I was so thrilled to see this thread today. I am starting this program tomorrow. My goal is to do a 5k in May. Thanks for the motivation!
Has anyone tried the iPod/iPhone app for this? Opinion?

I use a program for my iPod. It is the best tool. Tells me when to walk, when to run, keeps track of the days, and I can listen to my music at the same time.

nixietink
02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi guys!! I just started the C25K today and it went well! Although I'm running outside so I have NO clue how fast I am running. Does speed even matter at this point or is it just about making it through the allotted running time?

I use an app on my phone that alerts me when it is time to walk or run.

JennyJumpUp
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi all, so thrilled to find this thread!

I just finished Week 5, Day 2 (run 8 minutes, walk 5, run 8) today, and I have to say that it felt great. Starting about W4D2, I've felt like the runs have gotten a lot easier all of a sudden and I find myself pushing my pace up and even tacking on extra minutes at the end.

When I started W1D1, I was really struggling to finish the run intervals, so I'm pretty pumped about my progress.

One tip that I thought might be helpful for others. I've tried to run in the past (even the C25K program) and found that I got really terrible shin splints. This time, without even planning to, I've done other low-impact cardio before every run -- usually the elliptical, but sometimes a stationary bike or swimming -- and it's such a thorough warm up that my shins have felt great and I think the runs have been easier too.

Just my 2 cents -- keep it up, all! I'm looking forward to my first 20 minute run on Wednesday.

mydearthing
02-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Week six day two was tougher than I expected, but I did tack some extra minutes on. It might have been because I ran before I'd eaten anything this morning though. =/

aimeebell
02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Week six day two was tougher than I expected, but I did tack some extra minutes on. It might have been because I ran before I'd eaten anything this morning though. =/

I ran Week 6 Day 2 this morning on no breakfast too. The second 10 minutes for some reason seems easier than the first. I went 11 minutes shooting for a mile, but ended up at 9/10ths. I am looking forward to Thursday and seeing if I can hit that 25 minute mark! We have a foot of snow on the ground two days after the last foot of snow melting, so it is back to running inside for me.

jelynn
02-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Would love to join your thread. I just did w1d1 tonight. I've done C25K a couple times before and love the program- just seem to have a problem with keeping it up after I don't have a formal program to follow! lol The first time I did it my weight literally fell off...I'm heavier this time (265) but hoping for similar results. I did notice it was harder this time, but I did a 17.5 minute mile and feel like that's not *terrible* after taking a few months off of exercise.
Anyway- *go us!*

bananarunts
02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Lol.. wow, if I merely ran to my mailbox I would probably pass out! We all start somewhere and today is day one of changing my life by eating better and taking off this weight. The thought of running anywhere.. makes me smile at the moment, but hey.. eventually maybe I could do this too.

mydearthing
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
I ran Week 6 Day 2 this morning on no breakfast too. The second 10 minutes for some reason seems easier than the first. I went 11 minutes shooting for a mile, but ended up at 9/10ths. I am looking forward to Thursday and seeing if I can hit that 25 minute mark! We have a foot of snow on the ground two days after the last foot of snow melting, so it is back to running inside for me.

Well done!! :) I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow, but I'm sure it's possible, just have to have the right mentality!

I run indoors, but I'm thinking I might add one extra run a week outside- just an easy walk/jog for a mile or so. I eventually want to be running 4x a week anyway.

And welcome to everyone else joining! C25k is great- never thought I'd be running this much less than 2 months in! :dizzy:

aimeebell
02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I did it! Week 6, Day 3, 25 minutes straight, 2.10 miles! The farthest I have ever ran in my life. I ran track for one miserable season in middle school, but we ever ran more than a mile straight, two miles was an idle threat for punishment. As a reward, I get to sign up for the 5K on March 13th! I am excited!

mydearthing
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Woo! Well done aimee! :) I completed it too this morning, though it almost killed me!!

Robsia
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Lol.. wow, if I merely ran to my mailbox I would probably pass out! We all start somewhere and today is day one of changing my life by eating better and taking off this weight. The thought of running anywhere.. makes me smile at the moment, but hey.. eventually maybe I could do this too.

Of course you can - I was exactly where you are 2.5 years ago - now I'm training for a marathon!!

Your body is amazing and you never know what it can do till you try!

Eire
02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
I hadn't looked at this thread in weeks - awesome to see all the progress here!

My running partner and I finished C25k last week! Now we're starting a plan to get to 10k length. I *never* thought I would say that I'm training for a 10k. Ever. :carrot:

joyfulloser
02-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Congrats to all!!!:D WOW...I too am shocked at how quickly you all are progressing. Excited for you...and hoping all the best at your scheduled 5K's and with your future goals!:hug:

Runnnn...Forest...RUN!!:lol:

aimeebell
02-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Woo! Well done aimee! :) I completed it too this morning, though it almost killed me!!

It almost killed me today. LOL Funny how it can seem so much more or less difficult from one day to the next. I stopped four times for a 15 to 30 second rest.

I had only told two people about wanting to run a 5K. When I finished the 25 minute run, I announced it to the world (AKA put is as my Facebook status LOL). I got a lot of positive feedback.

aimeebell
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Congrats to all!!!:D WOW...I too am shocked at how quickly you all are progressing. Excited for you...and hoping all the best at your scheduled 5K's and with your future goals!:hug:

Runnnn...Forest...RUN!!:lol:

Thanks! I am excited too!

CherryPie99
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I also completed my 2nd 25 minute run last night - weirdly in some ways, I find it easier to just keep running then to start running again after a short walking break.

However, I am still running SLOW - I only did just over 1.5 miles in that 25 minutes. My short term goal is to get up to 30 minutes (2.0 miles) of running relatively comfortably and increase speed.

I'm never going to be a speed demon, but I would be happy if I could run at 5.0 MPH. Running at 4.5 MPH just about kills me, so that 5.0 seems like an impossible fantasy. BUT it wasn't too long ago that running for 5 minutes straight was beyond comprehension, so I'm trying to be positive.

aimeebell
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I also completed my 2nd 25 minute run last night - weirdly in some ways, I find it easier to just keep running then to start running again after a short walking break.

However, I am still running SLOW - I only did just over 1.5 miles in that 25 minutes. My short term goal is to get up to 30 minutes (2.0 miles) of running relatively comfortably and increase speed.

I'm never going to be a speed demon, but I would be happy if I could run at 5.0 MPH. Running at 4.5 MPH just about kills me, so that 5.0 seems like an impossible fantasy. BUT it wasn't too long ago that running for 5 minutes straight was beyond comprehension, so I'm trying to be positive.

I didn't think it was hard to restart, but maybe useless to stop since it didn't really help, sure I caught my breath, but I was huffing and puffing 30 seconds later, so what was the point of stopping? I don't care about speed one bit. I run at 5.0 to 5.2. I originally started at 4.7, but found it easier to run at 5. Anything less makes me feel like I am manually pushing the belt and makes my calves sore. A 12-minute mile, which is slow, but I don't care.

Angie
02-26-2011, 04:23 PM
HI all -- I just started C25K today, and I loved it. I was so afraid to start, but I don't know why now. I didn't die, I didn't even pant that much, and I didn't hurt. I finished it and barely even thought of giving up. I'm so proud of myself, because I'm not a big fan of exercise...I find it really hard to get myself motivated and to keep at it. I'm so glad I found this thread, it will give me some good inspiration as the program moves forward for me.

mydearthing
02-26-2011, 04:56 PM
HI all -- I just started C25K today, and I loved it. I was so afraid to start, but I don't know why now. I didn't die, I didn't even pant that much, and I didn't hurt. I finished it and barely even thought of giving up. I'm so proud of myself, because I'm not a big fan of exercise...I find it really hard to get myself motivated and to keep at it. I'm so glad I found this thread, it will give me some good inspiration as the program moves forward for me.

Congratulations on starting! C25k is amazing. I started out feeling like running was completely unnatural and whilst I'm only on week 7, I feel like I've already conquered the program because of all the mental barriers I've run through!
I hope you continue and you enjoy it! Honestly you will be amazed at what your body can do! :)

Eire
02-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Cherrypie - I'm the same way! Once I get going I'd rather just chug on through than take a walk break. I'm not fast either. I want to work on it too, but I figure for now running about 1/2 hour at a time is plenty to be proud of! :)

jelynn
02-28-2011, 01:22 AM
well, I did all 3 first week runs last week (T, Th, Sat.), yay- but I'm not quite ready to move on yet. I've put on 30 lbs since doing C25K before and I can really tell :( I'm trying to be really kind and easy on myself so I won't quit so I'll be doing this week over again starting again Tuesday :)

takingcontrol
02-28-2011, 08:15 AM
CherryPie, Aimee and Mydearthing,

It's so great to read that the longer runs are possible! I've just done W3D1 this evening, and after finding weeks 1&2 pretty easy, even a 3 min run was mega tough today. But, this is the week I really start pushing myself exercise wise, so I added an extra 3 min jog/walk rep onto the end of the programme, and although it nearly killed me, felt great not to stop!

I'm still positively terrified of the long runs at the moment, but also kinda can't wait to get there!

Anyone else in week three at the mo? Would be great to have a running 'partner'!

Jojo381972
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Congratulations for starting! That is the first step.
Great progress to everyone who has worked hard and started the C25k program!

I know how hard it is. I am running 30 minutes right now, and hitting the 4 km mark. I have upped my speed from 4mph to 4.2mph. I am running a 15min mile right now, and I am trying to get up to that 5km. I seem stuck at the 4km mark for the last few months..probably because I am increasing my speed instead of focusing on distance. I hope to break the 5km mark in the next few weeks. I am working up to running a 5km race in May. I run on the treadmill right now, and hope to get outside in the next month after all the snow is gone.

Keep going ladies!

Jojo381972
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
well, I did all 3 first week runs last week (T, Th, Sat.), yay- but I'm not quite ready to move on yet. I've put on 30 lbs since doing C25K before and I can really tell :( I'm trying to be really kind and easy on myself so I won't quit so I'll be doing this week over again starting again Tuesday :)

That's a good idea to start slow and do the week over if you feel like you have to. I found when I was starting that I did too much too soon and I was sore and tired. I stuck with week 4 for an extra week. I was 220 when I started running and I could feel that extra weight, but I really have noticed the six pound weight loss in my running. Hoping that the more running the more weight I will lose. I burn around 200-250 calories per run thus far.

ShanIAm
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM
This week I am getting fitted for running shoes. I have issues with shin splints so I am hoping this will help! This post has inspired me to get out there. I work with a girl who will be in the Boston Marathon and when she talks about her runner's high, I want to experience that so badly!

Good luck to all you guys.....and GL to me!

mydearthing
03-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh my god!

I ran the full 5k today! I was only supposed to run 25 minutes, but then after it almost killing me on Sunday, when I reached the 25 minute mark I had hardly broken sweat, so decided to run for another 5. Then when I got to 30 minutes realised I was nearly at 5km, so kept running! I completed it in 36 minutes, about a 12 minute mile. I'm so excited/happy!

aimeebell
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Oh my god!

I ran the full 5k today! I was only supposed to run 25 minutes, but then after it almost killing me on Sunday, when I reached the 25 minute mark I had hardly broken sweat, so decided to run for another 5. Then when I got to 30 minutes realised I was nearly at 5km, so kept running! I completed it in 36 minutes, about a 12 minute mile. I'm so excited/happy!

WOW!!! Impressive! Congratulations on making all the way through the program to 5K! The 25 minutes have darn near about killed me all three runs!

Changergirl
03-01-2011, 09:49 PM
wow, I haven't been here for about a week and I'm so impressed with everyone. I started week 4 last Thursday, didn't think I could do it but I powered through. After going out of town and not running for 4 days I just finished my second week 4 run. Surprisingly I felt great and ran quite a bit further than I did on the first one. I can't believe how scared I was before, its not that difficult. I can't wait for week 5.

Jojo381972
03-03-2011, 01:29 AM
;)^Keep it up! That's good that you felt strong. Sometimes our bodies need the rest.

Oh my god!

Congrats!That is so awesome! :carrot:

ShanIam: Good luck getting going! You won't regret it, because jogging is addictive! :)

---

A few days ago I increased my time to running 2.5 miles. I was pleased with that. Even if it takes me 45 mins to complete the 5km the first time, it doesn't matter to me. I can work on speed afterward. ;)

mydearthing
03-03-2011, 04:50 AM
Week 7 conquered! :)

takingcontrol
03-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Well done to everyone keeping on track!

I'm having a bit of a bad week, I completed week 3 day 1 on monday, and planned to do days 2 and 3 on weds n Fri, but on Tues I did a massive workout and yesterday was in too much pain to do any exercise, and today it's even worse! I can barely walk! Have just given my legs a lovely long massage and rubbed in some tiger balm, I HAVE to be able to run tomorrow and Sunday, or the week goes down the drain, noooo!

aimeebell
03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Week 7 conquered! :)

Can you believe you made it this far? I cannot believe I did. 25 minutes seemed darn near impossible. 28 minutes still seems impossible, and that is just a day away.

After my run yesterday, I officially registered for my first 5K race. A friend has offered to run it with me. My boyfriend offered to bring my kids up and cheer me on and watch the St. Patrick's Day parade afterward. My sister wants to come. A big part of me though wants to do this on my own. It is personal to me. I began it thinking that if I can do this one difficult thing that I doubt myself capable of doing, then I can do anything.

Anyway, I am excited and nervous, and I want my first 5K race to be my actually first 5K ran, so I will be holding at 28 minutes running until the race in 10 days.

ERHR
03-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I just started a couch-to-5k program this week. I've never been much of a runner and a knee injury has kept me from it for a number of years, but I'm hoping by easing myself into it with this program I can heal my knee a bit (along with some knee-focused strength training).

I have a question for those of you who run on treadmills: How do you choose your speeds, both for walking and jogging? I kind of threw a dart at it the first day and walked at 3.7 mph and ran at 6.0 mph but I edged it up a little bit for workout 2 to 3.8 mph and 6.2 mph. I think I could even go a little faster than that next time, but I'm concerned for the longer intervals when I won't get such frequent rest. Did you need to decrease your running speed as the intervals got longer? Or did your body improve over time so you kept your speed consistent even for the longer distances?

Thanks for any input!

Angie
03-04-2011, 12:15 AM
mydearthing -- Great job on your 5k -- congratulations!!!

takingcontrol
03-04-2011, 05:42 AM
So good to read how well people are getting on in the later weeks, I still can't quite believe that will ever be me!

I'm doing week three day two this evening, just trying to find my motivation! I'm behind this week due to hurting my foot and KILLING my leg muscles with a hardcore workout on Tuesday, both of these things stopped me working out on Weds n Thurs, so I need to get back into it today. I hate the lazy Friday feeling!

takingcontrol
03-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Well, on Monday day one of week three near on killed me! Today, day two of week three was, dare I say it, EASY! I ended up adding an extra 6minute run onto the end of it, I'm soooooo happy, when I think back to a month ago when even running for a minute was a complete challenge, I'm already seeing the results of the programme, just with along way to go!

I'm going to risk moving onto week 4 tomorrow or Sunday, and see how that goes, eeekkkkk!

Is anyone else out there around week 3 or 4??

aimeebell
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Week 8, Day 1. Fail. It is the first run I have not completed. I ran about a mile and a half and just didn't have what it took this morning to finish. I feel like it is all in the mind. Nothing hurts, ya I am tired, I am out of breath, but I look at that clock and see 12 more minutes of running and think I just can't do this. Gotta break the mental barriers. So, I will repeat this day on Sunday.

aimeebell
03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
So, it is still on my mind that I did not finish my run this morning. I feel like I have been hungry every moment of this week, insatiable, dissatisfied. I am wondering if this has anything to do with my lack of energy to complete the run this morning. I did have a KIND bar about two hours before the run, so I wasn't going on an empty stomach. I have eaten at the same range as I have been the past 8 weeks, perhaps 100 calories more per day because I was eating under my target. I have not lost more than a pound total in the past three weeks. I just don't know why I am so dang hungry and unenergetic this week.

ali g
03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I finished week 6 today. I can't believe I ran for 25 minutes!

takingcontrol
03-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Well done Ali G! I can't wait until I'm ready to take on the longer runs, scared but excited!

Aimee, sorry to hear you had your first 'fail' it was bound to happen at some point. Great to read you're not going to dwell on it though and keep going on. I hate those weeks of non-motivation, I actually find giving myself a treat day normally gets me right back on track!

Well, I woke up this morning (Sat) with barely an ache from yesterdays workout, so I'm going to push on after work and try out week 4 day one, will let you all know how it goes!

Angie
03-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Good job Ali G!!

I'm moving to week 2 tomorrow -- can't wait!

takingcontrol
03-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Ouch, I just found out the hard way some of the c25k don'ts!

Today I've taught for six hours, n even though it's Saturday (my normal treat day) I ate within my 'rules' which meant a yogurt and special K at about 7.15am, then 4 hours running around teaching and a Thai noodle and veg dish for lunch at 1pm then teach for two more hours, before getting home at about 4, cleaning the bathroom, walking too and from the supermarket (20mins) shopping away, exhausted. I didn't want to leave my workout until later because I knew once I'd sat down I'd not be getting up again, and with tomorrow being way in day, I needed exercise. So, I did week4 day1, it was hard from the start, but blooming heck, by the last five minute run, I thought I was doing to die, wih two mins to go, I just had to blank my brain and try to keep going, at 1.20 I checked the time again and hoped for 10 secs left not over a minute, at that point, all I could do was keep telling myself it's mind over matter, I didn't need to stop, one minute out of my life, keep going. And I made it, just!

Now, a bottle of water and banana later, sitting under the fan, I'm feeling OK again.

Glad I learnt the lesson about running on empty at this stage rather than when the longer runs commence.

More than teaching me how to run, I'm going to be far more grateful with this program for teaching me how to keep going when pre c25k I'd have given up. It's given me belief, and it's proving I'm a can doer, rahter than an excuse maker.

Good luck to all running this weekend!

mydearthing
03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
So, it is still on my mind that I did not finish my run this morning. I feel like I have been hungry every moment of this week, insatiable, dissatisfied. I am wondering if this has anything to do with my lack of energy to complete the run this morning. I did have a KIND bar about two hours before the run, so I wasn't going on an empty stomach. I have eaten at the same range as I have been the past 8 weeks, perhaps 100 calories more per day because I was eating under my target. I have not lost more than a pound total in the past three weeks. I just don't know why I am so dang hungry and unenergetic this week.

Sorry about your run! Please don't be disheartened, you've done amazingly to get this far, and everyone has bad days and weeks!

As for the feeling hungry, I'm probably the least qualified person on this forum to offer advice.. maybe more protein and wholewheat carbs early in the day to keep you fuelled? :?:

JennyJumpUp
03-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Just finished W5D3 -- the first 20 minutes run! It was HARD. I've been getting kind of cocky because the runs were getting easy for me, but this one kind of kicked my butt. The last 8 minutes or so were very tough and I really wanted to stop running.

I hate quitting though, so I kept going and I feel pretty fantastic now.

I can't imagine running 25 minutes in a week -- seriously in awe of aimeebell and ali g for killing week 6! Congrats ladies!

shelflife
03-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone! Figured I would join the thread. I made it to week 8 of C25K in the fall of 2009 before life got in the way, but have picked it up again for another go. I finished week 5 day 2 yesterday, which means a 20 minute run tomorrow! I use Suz's podcasts & Nike+iPod (on my old iPod nano) together to keep track.

Which iPhone Apps do you ladies you? Can you use the apps along with Nike+ iPod?

Good luck everyone!

mydearthing
03-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Week 8 day 1 today. I finished it, but it was a struggle. I felt really de-energised and my legs felt quite weak. I don't know why.. :( I had a bowl of porridge a few hours before I went out, so energy wise I should have been fine. Went for a fast (non-c25k) jog yesterday for 15 minutes, so it might have been the aftershock from that. Oh well, some days aren't as great as others I suppose.

shelflife: I use mapmyrun (it's free!) for my outdoor runs, as it tracks how far you go, time and pace quite accurately. Also have the c25k app, but I don't use it. :) Have no idea about Nike+? I'd imagine you could use it alongside other apps if it multitasks?

aimeebell
03-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Today was a re-do of Week 8 Day 1 for me. I had a couple stops along the way but decided to keep going for a full 3 miles. I stopped to walk for 30 to 60 seconds three times during the run, then I was doing the five minute cool-down walk and decided a few minutes into that just to stretch it out to 3 miles and stepped it back up to running. Finished in 37 minutes and 25 seconds, slow, but I was aiming for less than 38 minutes, so I was satisfied.

takingcontrol
03-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Hi All,

Jennyjumpup, congrats on the first long run! As it creeps closer for me, next week! I'm getting less n less certain it'll be possible, but, gotta keep faith in the programme, and see what happens! Hope I can find a similar conviction to you, and just not stop running however hard it is!

Shelflife, good luck for the 20mins! Let us know how it goes!

Mydearthing, well done for week 8! Even better if you managed to complete even though your energy was low, awesome!

Aimee, wow to a full three miles, that's amazing! Now you can work on slowly increasing your time/taking out the walking intervals, but wow :)

On the talk of podcasts, I currently do the runs in front of the TV and watch whatever is on as I jog. However, as I get onto the longer runs, I think I need to make the transition to music so I can 'zone out' and just get teh longer runs done.

I found a podcast on the NHS website that I downloaded, and will be trying that out on Weds with week 4 day 3, if I don't like it, will defo be researching some of the one's you guys use.

I've just completed week 4 day2, and yet again the last 5 min run was really tough. But, I don't think it's genuinely tough on my lungs, heart or legs. Yeah my legs hurt a bit, yeah I'm sweating and reasonably out of breath, but nothing I can't handle. Just a mental barrier I need to cross, in my mind I don't and can't run for any distance, I've gotta break down that negativity and I'm sure it'll all get a lot easier!

Today's difficulty certainly wasn't helped by being quite dehydrated thanks too a few 'accidental' beers last night with the football and then a really really hot one today. So, I'm just happy I finished it, should be easier on Weds, I hope!

aimeebell
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Just finished W5D3 -- the first 20 minutes run! It was HARD. ![/B]

That jump to 20 minutes was very difficult. If I had more time before my race, I probably would have modified the program a bit.

aimeebell
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
I've just completed week 4 day2, and yet again the last 5 min run was really tough. But, I don't think it's genuinely tough on my lungs, heart or legs. Yeah my legs hurt a bit, yeah I'm sweating and reasonably out of breath, but nothing I can't handle. Just a mental barrier I need to cross, in my mind I don't and can't run for any distance, I've gotta break down that negativity and I'm sure it'll all get a lot easier!

I feel the same way, like it is hard, nearly impossible, but then I check myself, and yes I am sweaty, and yes I am out of breath, but nothing really hurts. The whole time I run I watch the clock, I shift between thinking I want to quit, can't take another minute, and giving myself pep talks, telling myself I can do anything for just 7 minutes, if in 5 more minutes, I want to quit, I can, then just 3 more minutes, one more minute. I feel like it is all a mental block for me. If I could just stop thinking, it would really help.

aimeebell
03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
28 minutes of full, uninterrupted running today!!! 2.5 miles, my longest straight run yet. Week 8, Day 2, success!

Jojo381972
03-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Congrats to everyone making progress! The program is really awesome.

I just wanted to share that I hit the 5km mark today. I've been doing the C25K program which seems like forever, but I had to build up and sometimes I'd stop or not workout as consistent as I would have liked. Today I finished it in 44 minutes which is quite slow, but at least I finished. I'll work on my speed which I have found has come far from where i started.

I found that sometimes I had to stop with shin splints or pulled muscles, so I would rest for a bit. I also found that if I overdid it, I felt too tired to go the same distance my next run. It is a really fine line for running that can take time to work up to the 5km. So don't worry if You can't finish it in nine or ten weeks. Take the time you may need to repeat weeks if you are not comfortable. Keep going, ladies! The feeling of finishing a 5km is unbeatable. :)

takingcontrol
03-09-2011, 08:32 AM
AimeeBell, whoo hoo to your 2.5 miles, that's awesome, sooooo close to the big 5km mark now :D

Jojo - congrats on your 5km! And thanks also for your advise. I often feel like doing it more than every other day, or doing much longer than the programme says (more intervals), but then decide no, I should trust in the programme n follow the steps.

Well, I completed week 4 day 3 this evening, and am happy to report, as for the last two weeks, it was FAR easier than either day one or two, this pattern alone is giving me so much faith in the programme.

When I got to the end of the final 5 min interval tonight I still felt reasonable OK, so decided to keep going to 8 mins, and I could do it :) So, that's given me lots of belief that I'll manage week 5 too (well, the first two days at least!) A week today until that first 20 minutes non stop, already feeling excited/nervous, never thought running would have this impact on me!

A question, what exercise, if any, does everyone else here do to supplement the programme? I'm trying to exercise everyday at the moment, focusing mainly on cardio, but with some strength training too. I am quite conscious of what I do on my non-c25k days though, as I don't want it to leave me too tired/achy on running days. Any input on what you guys do will be great to read :)

aimeebell
03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
A question, what exercise, if any, does everyone else here do to supplement the programme? I'm trying to exercise everyday at the moment, focusing mainly on cardio, but with some strength training too. I am quite conscious of what I do on my non-c25k days though, as I don't want it to leave me too tired/achy on running days. Any input on what you guys do will be great to read :)

In the beginning, I did not do any other exercise because I didn't want to wear myself out or hurt myself and mess up the C25K program. Now that I am feeling stronger, for the past two weeks, I have been doing running/walking intervals on the treadmill on my "off days." I started when the intervals phased out of the program. I change it up, some days I will add just a couple 2 or 3 minute runs at a higher speed than my normal speed, some I will run a 1/4 mile/walk a 1/4 mile. Whatever I feel like. When my 5K race is over on Sunday, I am considering doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred in addition to the running. I hear it makes you pretty sore, so I didn't want to add it during my training.

ERHR
03-09-2011, 10:24 AM
@takingcontrol: I do the couch-to-5k program 3 days per week and weight training 3 days per week. On the seventh day I either don't work out or have a fun extra workout like Zumba or a sport.

JennyJumpUp
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks takingcontrol and aimeebell for the encouragement after my first long run! It's gotten a little bit easier this week and tomorrow is my first 25 minute run -- I'm nervous, but also so excited. I can't believe I've made it this far.

A question, what exercise, if any, does everyone else here do to supplement the programme? I'm trying to exercise everyday at the moment, focusing mainly on cardio, but with some strength training too. I am quite conscious of what I do on my non-c25k days though, as I don't want it to leave me too tired/achy on running days. Any input on what you guys do will be great to read

I spend about 60 minutes on the elliptical on off-run days, and 30 minutes on the elliptical in advance of my run on run days. I will say that doing that kind of intense warm up has been a huge help for running. I've tried C25K in the past and always stopped far earlier than this because I've had terrible shin splints and sore quads. I haven't had any of that this time, and I credit it to the fact that I'm doing such a long warm up each time I run.

I'm also doing about two days of strength training (arms and core) each week, but not really intensely. I'd like to learn more and step that up a bit!

mydearthing
03-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Finished the third day of week 8 today! :carrot: Starting week 9 on Sunday! I can't believe it's the last week. I've definately come so far from hardly being able to run 90 second intervals. :o

JennyJumpUp
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Congratulations mydearthing!
Finished the third day of week 8 today! :carrot: Starting week 9 on Sunday! I can't believe it's the last week. I've definately come so far from hardly being able to run 90 second intervals. :o

You're a couple of steps ahead of me, but it's so inspiring to hear other people are making it all the way through! Keep up the good work!

takingcontrol
03-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Mydearthing You're so nearly done, congratulations :) You'll have to keep coming back and cheering the rest of us on! What are your plans for when you're finished?

Thanks for the info on other exercise :) I do C25K Mon, Wed, Fri (maybe also do some strength training on these days too), and then on Tues, Thu, Sat try to do a mainly cardio workout, with some resistance training on two of the days, and a mainly strength training programme on the other day. Sunday is my rest day, when I normally head to the local pool and do a bit of swimming. I can't quite believe just how much my lifestyle has changed in the last couple of months, I couldn't imagine a life without exercise now! I can't wait to get lighter and fitter and be able to do more and more with myself :)

Week 5 day 1 just finished, was OK, I've gotta be brave and make the move from my living room out onto the track on Monday, no way I can do 20 mins straight running round my lounge, and I want a day practising outside before the big run, so Monday has to be the day!

setsysan
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Starting on Monday...Hope to get it done in eleven weeks (will be on vacay for a week or so)

Angie
03-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Okay! I did the C25K Week 3, Day 1 workout this afternoon. I was scared as anything when I saw I had to run for 3 minutes straight, twice, but when I was doing it I just kept thinking to myself, 'okay, just two minutes left...is there any pain or discomfort that you can't stand for two more minutes?' then at 1 minute I'd look at the number and smile thinking, I'm 2/3's done, can't stop now'...that strategy helped. In the second 3 minute run I kept picturing myself running behind the running star from my elementary school, and keeping up with her. Couldn't do it when I was 10 or 11, but I can imagine it now!

takingcontrol
03-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi all,

Setsyan I hope your first run went well, do pop in and let us know :)

Angie Congrats on your run, and on getting over that mental 'i can't' barrier.

Well I moved my running outside yesterday, and it felt really good to finally being 'normal' and just hanging out at the local track. I did unfortunately have a hangover and was majorly dehydrated after a birthday indulgence on Sunday evening.

I was doing week 5 day 2, and managed the first 8 minute run, although I set off way too quick and half way through had to slow it right down and only just managed to finish, but I kept going and was thrilled! After the 5 mins walking I was still suffering though, and when I started the next 8 minute run was a mess! I managed 4 mins straight, then walked the last four and tried to run the 5 min cool down on my podcast, but ended up only doing about half of it. I did do another half an hour walking with the odd short running blast to keep my heart rate up though.

Two errors, one the hangover and two the speed I set off.

I'm planning on returning to the track tomorrow, and doing the same day again, I'm hopefully without a hangover, being properly hydrated and working on taking it slowly will all lead to me having a successful run, fingers crossed!

AriRuns
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi ladies! Hope it's okay if I jump in here =)

I just started this week, but decided to start at week 4 since I've been running for awhile and am at the point of easily completing 6 mins at a stretch. I've done days 1 and 2, and day 3 is tomorrow. The 1st day was pretty easy, though I had to stop to stretch halfway through because my calves were cramping. Yesterday I spent 15 minutes on the elliptical first to get sufficiently warmed up, then went to the park to run, and it was much better... Made it all the way through with no problems!

I'm not sure that I'll be ready for a 20 min jog in only a week though, so I may be repeating week 4 at least once.

Sounds like everyone else is doing a great job! I'm looking forward to seeing all of our progress!

Angie
03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
I did week 3, day 2 of my C25K tonight....YES! I sometimes feel like I don't want to do it, but then as I do it I think "wow, I'm doing it!!" and when I finish...I feel so awesome. I think I need to do more warm up to keep my calves from getting sore so quickly. Does anyone here do extra warm up?

Taking Control -- Happy belated birthday! I've noticed my runs are easier if I do them a bit later in the day and make sure I'm really well hydrated. Still sounds like you did very well given the circumstances!

AriRuns - Congratulations on starting C25K!

mydearthing
03-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Finished the c25k program tonight (a lot fitter, and as of yesterday, a whole 2 stone lighter than when I started) with a beautiful 30 minute run outside. It was absolutely gorgeous weather!

My aims over the next few months are:
-to build up to running 60 minutes on the one hour program
-run outside more
-complete the two 5k races in the summer in 36 minutes or less

For everyone still on the program, keep going!! I can finally say I'm starting to feel like a runner! :)

tropica
03-20-2011, 08:21 PM
My husband and I just started! Week 1, Day 1 - Completed!!

takingcontrol
03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm re-doing week 5 this week, in the hope I'll have more success than last week. I think a lot of my problems are mental, so this will be the week I break down the barriers. Done so well on it so far, wasn't expecting a huge barrier last week, now I'm prepared for it, hopefully I'll over come it tonight!

Mydearthing WHHHHHHHOOOOOOOPPP! well done you, I hope you're really proud of yourself! I can't wait to be posting the same thing, your post has given me motivation not to give up :) Enjoy your runs and races, and as you say, feeling like a runner :)

Angie Thank you! Hope you continued to progress well last week, I had a bad week, was still out and running for three days, but just completely lost the ability to follow the programme, did w5d2 three times and just couldn't manage it. Back to w5d1 today, and build from there!

Tropica well done for getting started :)

JennyJumpUp
03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
mydearthing: CONGRATULATIONS!! I love reading c25k success stories, because it makes me think that I'll get there soon too.

And then I have a day like today.

I ran the first 25 minute run about 8 days ago and it was just really difficult. So I decided to go back and re-run that week -- the 5,3,8,3,5 day and the 10, 3, 10 day. They went totally fine. But then when I tried 25 minutes again today, I really struggled.

I finished but I was beyond wiped out, very weak and am still bright red about 30 minutes later.

Has anyone else hit a wall like this at the 25 minute run stage?

Any tips?

MariaMaria
03-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Take it slower. Do more intervals for a while before trying 20 or 25 minutes again.

C25K progresses really, really quickly--faster than a lot of other reputable programs. Just because the program is online doesn't mean that it's written in stone.

takingcontrol
03-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I've hit my wall at the 20min mark. After failing the w5d2 run twice, and then trying for w5d3 and failing. I've decided to slow the pace right down. I'm going to do week 5 day 1 three times this week, and then week 5 day 2 three times next week, and then either move onto the 20 min straight run on w5d3 the week after, or maybe skip that completely and move onto w6d1. I'll see how I'm feeling then.

I've loved the programme this far, but after a day of 'failing' last week I felt rubbish, n rally unmotivated to do anything at all this week, so I've had to give myself a good talking too and remind myself this isn't a race, so if it takes me longer to meet the goal, I don't care, I've just gotta keep working towards it, that's all the matters :)

Jennyjumpup let us know how you decide to tackle the later stages of the programme.

Mariamaria thanks for backing up what I'd already been thinking,
made me feel a lot btter about my decision to slow down now :)

Good luck to everyone still on their journey, we'll all get there!

ERHR
03-22-2011, 10:47 AM
If you run on a treadmill, how do you all choose the speeds at which you run? Do you keep the same speed every day or vary it with the interval length? I'm in week 3 and so far I've run at about the same speed each week even though the intervals have gotten longer, but during a week I increase my speed by a couple tenths of a mile/hr from workout to workout. I think I'll probably have to slow down as the intervals get really long, though.

aimeebell
03-22-2011, 10:58 AM
If you run on a treadmill, how do you all choose the speeds at which you run? Do you keep the same speed every day or vary it with the interval length? I'm in week 3 and so far I've run at about the same speed each week even though the intervals have gotten longer, but during a week I increase my speed by a couple tenths of a mile/hr from workout to workout. I think I'll probably have to slow down as the intervals get really long, though.

I kept my speed the same throughout the entire program. I ran at 5.0. I found anything less than 5.0 was actually harder. I started at 4.7, but quickly found out that my natural pace was 5.0. Anything less and I think I was actually pushing the treadmill belt and got sore calves. I just finished the program and am playing around with speed now. My natural speed is 5.2 now and I add in some intervals at 5.5 and 6. Just play with it until you find what is most comfortable.

takingcontrol
03-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Well tonight I messed around with n hours worth of 5 min jog, 3 min walking intervals, and felt so good after it. Baring in mind it was 33degres and so humid, it was a workout and a half. Gonna do that a couple omore times this week, as it was tough! N then move up the intervals for jogging by a minute or so next week n repeat the process, when I get back to the uk and more sensible weather, in three weeks time, I'll try jump back on the programme, but for now I'm stepping down, but certainly not stopping the jogging, I'm addicted!

aimeebell
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I've hit my wall at the 20min mark.

I've loved the programme this far, but after a day of 'failing' last week I felt rubbish, n rally unmotivated to do anything at all this week, so I've had to give myself a good talking too and remind myself this isn't a race, so if it takes me longer to meet the goal, I don't care, I've just gotta keep working towards it, that's all the matters :)

That 20 minute jump was huge. I didn't make it on my first try either. I went outside for that run and it was really windy. I made it one mile (12 minutes) and then walked 1/4 mile, then ran 1/4 mile. I didn't repeat it though LOL Just moved onto the next week where it restarted with intervals. Just do your best, and if you have to walk to catch your breath, take a short break, then start the running again and call it mission accomplished! Someone on here gave me the advice that there is no shame in taking a short walking break and that it can actually improve your time because it gives you the energy to step it up.

takingcontrol
03-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Aimee, I hope to get back onto the longer runs and give the 20 mins another go when I'm back in the UK, but for now, battling the sweaty, hot dizziness that is running in Thailand, I'm gonna keep the intervals pretty short but keep my heartrate up and keep at it, and see where I'm at in three weeks :) I'll be sure to let you know!

KmbRN84
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Well, ladies I have finished the program!!! I have not been active in this thread but I want you all to know I read here and your advise and support to each other has really helped me along. And to anyone who is struggling (I know this has been said before) I will say if I can do it you can do it.

takingcontrol
03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
KmbRN84 Congratulations on completing the programme! I can't wait to be writing something similar in a couple of months! Go you! Did you take it week by week and always manage to complete the runs successfully? Which were your most challenging/rewarding parts of the programme?

Lnm130
03-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I started last night for the second time. I started it a year ago, but had to stop in week 2 due to tendonitos. I was dumb, and ran cold.

I'm hoping to go Saturday and get fitted for better shoes.

KmbRN84
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Takingcontrol
I took the program week by week until week 5 repeating some weeks as I needed. I went to Disney during the program and that set me back a bit. Then one day I decided to just see how far I could go on my own and I went 15 minutes, so that was less than the end of week 5. Up until that point I was just doing the treadmill and when I switched to outside I found it a lot easier. I think it is due to distraction. I then just worked my way up to 30 min of running. So I guess I didn’t do the program exactly but I used as my base and it defiantly what got me on the path to being able to do 30 minutes straight. Oh when I say run I mean jog, I am pretty slow, but I figure I will work my speed up like I worked my time up.
Any runs I set out to do I did complete. Some were sooooo hard though. I remember week three really being a challenge to me, I thought I would die!! The most rewarding thing for me was just the feeling of completion. I have always thought of runners as being the pinnacle of fitness and dreamed of being one of “them”. I am going to run the Komen 5k in Columbus on May 14th and I can not wait.

AriRuns
03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
KmbRN84 I'm running the Capital City/Commit to be Fit 5k in Columbus on May 7th! I didn't realize Komen was the following weekend. I am doing the same thing... using the program as a base, but kind of doing my own thing at the same time. I jumped in at week 4 last week, and have done week 5 day 1 so far (day 2 tomorrow). A few days ago though I decided to see how far I could go and I made it 15 minutes, too!

Just curious, about how long did it take you to go from 15 minutes to 30?

Elladorine
03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I woke up way too early this morning and this program popped in my head out of nowhere. I'd planned on starting it over a year ago but health and personal issues prevented me from pushing myself into it. Recently I've been lifting weights and a riding a stationary bike, but I've been wanting to mix things up so I'm wondering if it's time for C25K! :) I've already ordered some jogging bras in anticipation of getting my body to move more.

My main concern right now is that even though I've lost over 100 pounds total, I still weigh in at 250 (I've a lot of belly fat on a 5' 8" frame) and haven't been able to budge from it for over a year. I've never had a problem with my joints and obviously don't want them to become a one, but I'm wondering if this may be what it takes to finally break free of my plateau. Do I have cause to be concerned because I'm still at a high weight, or am I worrying over nothing? :?: I've never been a runner but I feel that any progress I can make will definitely give me newfound confidence.

CherryPie99
03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm a lot shorter then you and I started running in the 280's. Not very fast and not for very long, but I was running. I am now able to run 2.5 miles straight and I'm at 235. Make sure to listen to your body and stop if it hurts, but I don't see any reason not to give it a shot.

tropica
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Tomorrow is the final Day of Week 1 for me. Yesterday, I some how got off track and ended up switching the 60 sec run with the 90 sec walk, so I ended up running 90 sec and walking 60 sec. This is Week 2! So, at least I now know I am capable of doing Week 2!

I'm dreading Week 5...I can't imagine running 20 minutes straight! I may take awhile to get through that one...

Elladorine
03-23-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm a lot shorter then you and I started running in the 280's. Not very fast and not for very long, but I was running. I am now able to run 2.5 miles straight and I'm at 235. Make sure to listen to your body and stop if it hurts, but I don't see any reason not to give it a shot.
Thanks! :) I'm gonna check out the trails in a nearby park and am setting a goal to get started by April first. My bras should be here by then, there's no way I'm starting without them. ;)

JennyJumpUp
03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
TakingControl - I know your post was a few days ago, but I wanted to say the jump to 20 minutes was hard for me too -- keep it up! If you're having trouble, take it slow, make sure you warm up thoroughly and make sure you're fueling your body! I had a very difficult time with the first 25 minute run, and I realized it was because I eat about half my day's calories over breakfast and lunch, then run in the evening (like 7, after work), and then eat the other half of my day's calories after the run. I reshuffled that over the last few days and front loaded my calories more before my run and 25 minutes was a lot easier today. In fact, I felt I could run more at the end.

ERHR - I've stuck with 5.2 since the very beginning of the program, but now that I'm getting to the longer runs, I'm occasionally dropping down to 5.0 for breaks mid-run rather than stopping.

KmbRN84 - Congratulations! I'm getting close to the end and hearing success stories is a big part of what keeps me going!

As I mentioned above, I did my second 25 minute run today and it was AMAZING. My last run was kind of a disaster, so I'm happy it went better today -- but mostly I'm just happy I didn't give up after a rough day.

My 5K is coming up quickly on April 20, so thanks all for the encouragement and keep it up!

jennsic
03-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi Ladies - I'm new to this site and to getting in shape. I've already lost 20lbs and have about 40ish to go. I'm 5' 2" and weigh 172. I've always wanted to be a runner, seems like it would be very stress relieving for me. I'm not sure if i'm even on the right thread, but, does anyone have tips for becoming a runner? What is a good "form" to use, seems like i don't hold my body in the correct position when trying to run. I'm excited for this new avenue in my life and appreciate any help I can get. :D
Oh, also this is probably a really dumb questions but where do I go on here to find the weight loss tickers?
Thanks ;)

AriRuns
03-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Just completed week 5, day 2. Yikes... that means the 20 minute run is next!

KmbRN84
03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
AriRuns It took about a week and a half to get from 15 to 30. Running outside helped me mentally alot!

AriRuns
03-25-2011, 02:22 AM
jennsic, I would recommend the Runner's World website for any and all tips. I don't know that there is any hard and fast rule about form, but if there is, you'll likely find it there. There are also a number of stickies in this forum which might have some useful information for you. As for the tickers, I believe you have to be a member for a certain number of days before you can add one (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but once you've reached that time frame, it's under the User CP in the toolbar. Congrats on your weight loss so far!

KmbRN84, only a week and a half?! Wow, you've inspired me. :) Thanks!

takingcontrol
03-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Running day for me again, think i'm going to attempt week 5 day 2 again (fourth time lucky?!) It's relatively cool, I'm well rested, no pain, I'm not tired, I'm well hydrated, so everything is stacked in my favour, we'll see!

Hoping to find it all a bit easier when I get to the UK and humidity and 30-40 degree weather is taken out of the equation, and I'll finally be able to buy some decent running shoes, and have more places to run. So, whatever I achieve between now n then is good enough!

Ariruns Good luck on the 20mins, can't wait until I'm ready for it, just gonna keep plugging away!

Horo
03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Hello everyone. :) I'm posting this right now so I have to commit to it- I'm going to begin the program on April 1st(a date chosen in regards to weather) so I'll be looking forward to both that and joining in with all of you on this thread. :dance:
Cheers,
Horo

JollyGreenSteen19
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi all... have enjoyed hearing all about your experiences! I'm 20 and since November I've lost about 35 lbs (started at 330, now 295), I did it through mostly diet change. I just started exercising a good 2 hrs/day 6 days a week (bike and running) and I am on week 3 of Couch 2 5k. If this 295 lb person can do it... ANYONE... yes ANYONE... can do it. I just ran for 3 minutes with minimal discomfort. Holy balls the progress! Can't wait until next Sunday when I get to run for 5 minutes? Aye aye aye.

Eliochacon
03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi all... have enjoyed hearing all about your experiences! I'm 20 and since November I've lost about 35 lbs (started at 330, now 295), I did it through mostly diet change. I just started exercising a good 2 hrs/day 6 days a week (bike and running) and I am on week 3 of Couch 2 5k. If this 295 lb person can do it... ANYONE... yes ANYONE... can do it. I just ran for 3 minutes with minimal discomfort. Holy balls the progress! Can't wait until next Sunday when I get to run for 5 minutes? Aye aye aye.

Glad to hear you're enjoying running. Congratulations on choosing a healthy lifestyle. Welcome to the running community.

There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open

CherryPie99
03-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share that I completed the 5K last night. "Technically" I've been done with C25K for a while now, time wise. But because I am a SLOOOWW runner I wasn't anywhere close to actually traveling 5K. For a while now I've been stuck at running 2.5 miles and feeling unable to go any farther.

Last night I pushed myself and ran 3 miles in about 43 minutes. I'm not sure why this was such an important number to get to, but it feels like a huge accomplishment!

Eliochacon
03-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Takingcontrol
I took the program week by week until week 5 repeating some weeks as I needed. I went to Disney during the program and that set me back a bit. Then one day I decided to just see how far I could go on my own and I went 15 minutes, so that was less than the end of week 5. Up until that point I was just doing the treadmill and when I switched to outside I found it a lot easier. I think it is due to distraction. I then just worked my way up to 30 min of running. So I guess I didn’t do the program exactly but I used as my base and it defiantly what got me on the path to being able to do 30 minutes straight. Oh when I say run I mean jog, I am pretty slow, but I figure I will work my speed up like I worked my time up.
Any runs I set out to do I did complete. Some were sooooo hard though. I remember week three really being a challenge to me, I thought I would die!! The most rewarding thing for me was just the feeling of completion. I have always thought of runners as being the pinnacle of fitness and dreamed of being one of “them”. I am going to run the Komen 5k in Columbus on May 14th and I can not wait.

Hi,
I'm pretty slow too but I started doing some fairly intense HIIT (high intensity interval training) a few months back with the hope that it would improve fat burning. An unintended benefit is that my speed has improved. On the treadmill, I warm up with a moderate 5-10 minute jog, then I vary fast and slow running. I run as fast as I can for 60 seconds, then down to a very slow jog for 60 seconds. I do 5 or 6 cycles of this and then another 5-10 minutes of jogging/cooldown for a total run of about 25-30 minutes. I do the fast running at 7.1 -7.3 mph or at least thats what I'm doing now, I keep getting faster. The other day on a traditional run on the treadmill I ran 5.1 mph for 10 minutes straight in the middle of a longer run which is a speed that a year ago I never thought I would have been able to do. I'm still slow as molasses in winter but at least its a milder winter.

How exciting that you're going to be in a race. I've never had the guts to enter one but now maybe I'll think about it. Keep running.

There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open.

Angie
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi all! I see you are all doing well on the program. I had a death in the family and took a week off. I finished week 3 on the weekend and I'm afraid to start week 4, I looked at the preview and it scares the heck out of me to run for 5 minutes.

Can I get your opinions, should I repeat week 3 to better prepare myself, or just push myself and my boundaries and jump right in to week 4?

kmac1196
03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Sorry for your loss, Angie.

Just finished day 2 wk 1....good. I also am concerned about not running the whole 3 miles because I'm tracking time and not distance. But I am going to do the c25k twice (once indoors and once outside) before my first 5k and on the second one I will run for distance to ensure that I can complete it.

Angie
03-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Well, I tried week 4, but I didn't make it. I just adjusted and ran for max 3 minutes...I couldn't even do 3 minutes twice in a row. I'm not sure why, but I did get a case of i can'ts and once that happened I just couldn't get past my aching calves. I did extra time, but just at a fast walk.

I'll re-evaluate tomorrow and see how I'm feeling. I am so daunted by this week that right now I'm wondering if I should just make doing 5k in shorter and shorter periods of time as my goal, or if I should redo week 3 and keep at this. Ugh, I think its a decision best made once I let a day or two go by.

JollyGreenSteen19
04-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I just did week 4 this morning. I wasn't running very fast, but I finished it... although in the first 5 minute run somehow I hit "pause" about 15 seconds in and didn't realize it for a bit.... which horrified me after I looked down to see how much was left. I seem to be just barely moving when I run, I do try to go, but my ankles hurt and I feel like all my jiggle (the god given and the earned) is going to jiggle right off (I wish). I feel like if I push any harder I'm not gonna make it through the run!! I also hate running when there are people out, I get really self conscious, but know I won't be the gasping chubby girl for long...

Angie - I think if you are struggling with the 3 minute runs you should repeat week 3 at least for a few days. Considering it is the "easy run" (ha) on week 4, it's good to keep on with week 3 until you feel really comfortable with them. Or you can push through and get rid of those "I CAN'T"S... I know on week 2 I thought it was the hardest thing ever, and now those 90 second runs are a joke, right?

ERHR
04-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I have my first 20-minute run today and I am daunted! I think I'll take it at 6.0 mph, about 0.2-0.7 mph slower than what I've been doing for the shorter intervals. I hope I can make it through!

JollyGreenSteen19
04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Good luck! I am terrified of the 20 minute run, going to be next week already for me. Keep strong.

Robsia
04-04-2011, 06:52 PM
You will be amazed at what your body can do. When I started training for the marathon, the most I had ever run was 6 miles.

I was terrified of the 10 mile - I managed it.

I was terrified of the 12 mile - I managed it.

I was terrified of the 14, the 16, the 18 and the 21 mile runs - guess what - I managed all of them!!

I am also terrified of running 26.2 miles. But I sure as **** AM going to do it.

You CAN do this!

Just take your time and don't push yourself to go too fast. Take it at a nice gentle little trot, listen to some good music and you will be congratulating yourself before you know it.

JollyGreenSteen19
04-06-2011, 08:17 AM
It is amazing what the body can do... it's just a matter of taking it slow and being brave!

fantasma
04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I am on week one of the C25K, it stinks or rather I stink at running. Looking foward building my endurance because its a necessary evil.

Robsia
04-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I found they have a FB page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/C25Kplan

JennyJumpUp
04-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi all, long time no post! I wanted to give a quick update since I had some good news... I finished my first 5K on the treadmill yesterday!

When I started this program at the beginning of February, the week 1 runs were tough for me. I'm not sure I honestly believed I'd get to the point where I could run for 36 minutes (that's how long my 5K took... I'm not super fast!), but I did it!

Now that it's warmer out, I've tried to move my runs outside and have found it's more difficult for me. Less boring than running on a treadmill, for sure, but a lot harder on my body! I'm up to about 1.75 miles outside, so I'm going to spend the next few weeks until my first official 5K race on the 30th trying to work up to the 5K distance outside.

Thanks for all the support along the way!

JollyGreenSteen19
04-10-2011, 06:23 PM
When I started this program at the beginning of February, the week 1 runs were tough for me. I'm not sure I honestly believed I'd get to the point where I could run for 36 minutes (that's how long my 5K took... I'm not super fast!), but I did it!

Congratulations!! I am on week 5 (just started today) and a bit afterwards I tried to run my first mile. If you think 36 min 5k is slow.. it took me 15:55 to run a mile :) BUt it was outside in the 1. heat 2. humidity 3. wind and 4. up hills. It is definitely much, much harder to run outside. I wish I had a treadmill, I'd like something to keep the ground even and my pace up!!! I do enjoy running outside because it makes the time go much faster.

It is amazing I think, here when you're mentioning week 1 being hard, cause I remember being pretty winded at week 1 but week 2 was killing me. Now I can "run" (If we want to call it running) a 16 minute mile, which isn't great, but guarantee before I started this program I would have never been able to even finish a mile.

kmac1196
04-12-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a question....Either my treadmill mph's are off or I have super short legs!!! But I brisk walk at 4mph and I can jog at 4.2 but my pace is 4.4 (it's a 13min mile it says). I'm trying to work on time now and then speed after but what's up with the different running paces? I definately cannot walk at 4.4...OH, I'm 5' 4.5" ....any thoughts?

jennsic
04-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I've been trying to make myself do the c25k and just come up with excuses everyday, i even have the app on my phone. Reading all of your stories has me motivated to try again. I'll check in and tomorrow and let you all know how it went ;)

crainjo
04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I completed week 5 last Thursday and ran my first 5k on Saturday. Finished in 31:26. Then started week 6 yesterday. The program works. I like many of you barely got through weeks 1 and 2, but the body adjusts pretty quickly. Although I should have paced myself better, I am proud that I ran the first mile of the 5K in 8:55!

jennsic
04-14-2011, 06:32 AM
I started c25k Tuesday, I did it Tuesday and Wednesday and didn't put a day of "rest" in between. I'm trying to lose weight so you would think more excersise=more weight loss. Is it REALLY important to wait a day in between "training", am i just hurting my progress instead of helping? Thoughts anyone???

Robsia
04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Yes, more exercise=more weight loss, but also more unaccustomed exercise=more chance of hurting yourself.

You should do the day of rest unless you are already of a decent standard of fitness. Running is a high-intensity exercise - you need to treat it with respect.

What you can do is do a more sedate exercise on your resting days, eg. a bike ride or a walk or a swim, something that still burns calories but doesn't put so much strain on your muscles.

kmac1196
04-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah..definately rest. I went into c25k to finish a 5k not for weight loss (though that benefit would be nice). It's funny how when you change your perception and focus your motivation increases. I can't control the numbers on the scale (don't I wish I could) but I can control my actions to training! Definately rest. I run Tues, Thurs, and Sat. Weight lift on Wed, Friday and Sunday and take Monday OFF!!! I may go for a walk later in the day on any one of those days or rake or house work , whatever but it's not running!!!

jennsic
04-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice ladies, I will do that. Maybe i'll do pilates or something today. My problem is if i don't do some sort of excersise i'm just to tired to make it through the day. I get up for work at 3:30am and I have a 2yr and 12yr old so i'm busy to say the least. The only day's I can really excersise is Tues-Friday (because of the kids) so i guess i'm trying to cram it all in..lol
Maybe i will just have to excersise after hubby gets home on other days....if I can make it that long without wanting to just go to bed. Anyone one have problems with breathing when you started the c25k, i used to be a smoker so i'm sure that doesn't help. I don't mind the burning in my legs or anything, actually kinda enjoy the feeling (strange I know) but the feeling of not being able to breath is what i'm having problems with!

jennsic
04-14-2011, 08:18 AM
kmac1196 - Forgot to ask, how long ago did you start the c25k?

indiblue
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
jenn have you thought about yoga for your off days? It provides no impact on the joints, giving them a rest from the intensity of running, and delivers cardio and strength training benefits. PLUS if you do a flow or power class it can really help with lung capacity by teaching proper breathing techniques during high intensity cardio. I used to competitively rock climb and it was a regular part of our workout for this very reason- it really does help with learning to breath properly :)

Robsia
04-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I tie in my breathing with my steps, so I breathe in for two steps and out for two steps. But that burning feeling in your throat goes about halfway through the course - maybe week 4 or 5 - at least it did for me. I think the lungs need time to accustom themselves as do your muscles so as your lungs become 'fitter' your breathing gets easier.

MInewgoal
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Ok...I started this once...and didn't make it through.
You've inspired me to try again!

Do any of you use pod casts for your run? If you do...is there one that you prefer to another??

Thanks

jennsic
04-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Had not thought about Yoga, might try that on "off days". I'll try the breathing technique and see if that helps. Friday when i was jogging/walking it felt like there was a tight band above both knees, anyone know what this could be? Was not enjoyable feeling..lol

crainjo
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Completed W7D1 yesterday. Even ran through the 5 minute cool down walk. Ran 3.1 miles in 29 minutes and 21 seconds.

JollyGreenSteen19
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
crainjo- what a great accomplishment!!!! you must feel amazing. You know they have a bridge to 5k program that you should do.

I'm finishing up my degree so totally slacked off the program (14 hour days on campus = Courtney no want to run when get home), but got back on where I left off today (w5d2) and was shocked that I could still make those two 8 minute runs. I REALLY wanted to quit during the second one but I kept going and ended up catching a second wind. It felt great to know I could hop right back on. I could almost be done with the program by now if I didn't slack off so many times, but oh well, keep on trucking! I could hardly run for the 60-90 second runs in the beginning without DYING. Now I'm doing the 8 minute runs with minimal discomfort and it feels good.

JollyGreenSteen19
04-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Oh and as far as frequency goes... I run WAY more than I should be, probably. I run day 1 on Sun Mon, Day 2 on Wed Thurs and Day 3 on Saturday for a total of 5 days a week. I am going to enjoy being young and my body can take it, really it's not that much running when you think about it, what 15-20 minutes total, though I do listen to my body. I also cross train, about an hour at a moderate intensity on the bike every day except Friday. I'm going to start incorporating pilates 3-4 days a week. I'd love to do strength training but don't want to pay for a gym membership and don't have room in my home for any equipment. I think pilates will suffice in that area though.

It's a time sink for sure, but I do what I gotta do, I don't have kids (just classes :P) so I probably have a lot more time than some people.

ShrinkingAmy
04-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Ok...I started this once...and didn't make it through.
You've inspired me to try again!

Do any of you use pod casts for your run? If you do...is there one that you prefer to another??

Thanks

I used GoNicoleYourself.com and KissMyBlackAss.org podcasts for the shorter interval runs then as the runs got longer, I found songs the appropriate length in my itunes and created my own play list. Just finished W8 today - one more week!!!!

Tammy7
10-26-2011, 05:22 PM
I started the C25K training program last week. My goal is to run the Gobble Wobble in November. I am not sticking to the program per time but listening to what my body is telling me. I can tell my endurance is building but now I am have the worse knee pain. Will this go away? I think I am becoming an ibuprofen junky now. Any suggestions to help with the knees? :?:

HALLOWEEN GOAL: 220

MariaMaria
10-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Knee pain is not typical to new runners. Are you wearing proper running shoes?

By "not sticking to the program per time" do you mean you are trying to increase time faster than the program, or slower? Hint: c25K progresses really, really quickly-- a lot more quickly than many reputable programs. Many people's musculoskeletal systems, and particularly many people who are overweight and were not previously taking part in high-impact activity on the regular, are better served by slower progress than c25K suggests.