Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/ See Ticker /133

Height: 5'1

Default Help with Diet & Exercise !

I have a challenge that I am doing which is also my mini goal. The challenge is too lose 12 lbs by Valentines Day but I'm not sure what exactly should I be doing. I got to the gym when I get out of class ; 35mins on elliptical, 30mins on the bike, 20mins on the treadmill (more walking than running) and some workouts on my biceps and abs!

I eat a banana and yogurt for breakfast, 6inch subway sandwich (wheat bread with turkey and provolone cheese, lettuce n tomatoes and little vingar) for lunch, dinner is baked chicken, greens, brown rice or mashed potatoes, and I drink water all day!

I know its possible to lose 2+ lbs per week but I'm not sure if I'm going in the correct direction. I cannot afford a personal trainer!

Can anyone please give me tips on exercises to do at the gym and also at home, what kinds of food to eat and snacks??

I want to lose 50 lbs -- you're help is greatly appreciated! (Private message are welcomed)
DiamondAries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #2  
mandagrl

S/C/G: 268.4/248/199

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Hi and welcome! You absolutely can lose 2lbs a week. Sounds like your diet is pretty good. I would suggest getting in more protien at breakfast though. On the exercise you're good too. I use a program called "lose it". I have the app on my iPhone and you can also access it online if you don't have a smartphone. You put in your weight, height, etc and it tells you how many calories you should take in per day to lose 2 lbs a week. You also can put in what you eat and what excercise you do to make sure you're on track each day. I would suggest checking it out.
mandagrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #3  
~Kim~

It sounds like you are doing good so far. As far as your diet goes, for me it would be a little carb happy. I would also suggest more protein at breakfast. You could get rid of the yogurt and have a couple eggs instead. I would cut out the potatoes or rice and have another veggie instead. As far as snacks go, I would have more fruit. Maybe a string cheese. Almonds.

Your exercise sounds awesome, all I'd really add is more strength training.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I would take the carbs out of your dinner... no mashed potatoes at all.

Try pressing the interval button on the machines. It makes you work harder.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm lousy at picking apart diets. I don't always have a good eye for it. But what you're eating looks an awful lot like what I do! If I was eating a Subway sandwich every day for lunch, though, I'd ask them to dig out some of the bread. They'll do that. I do NOT do this because I eat a full sandwich rarely and I want my bread! But if I did it routinely, this is definitely what I would do. Also, skip the mashed potatoes except as a treat now and then. Try substituting mashed squash or sweet potatoes.

Your gym routine looks great! Is it sustainable for you? I could do something like that, but not everyone can. The best gym routine is one that you can stick with. I suggest making sure you focus more on lifting than what you describe. My own routine is to do heavy cardio (spin class) three days per week and two days are light cardio (20-25 minutes) plus 45 minutes of intense lifting. If I only have time for one or the other, lifting wins.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #6  

Thank you all so much for in the info. I see that I need to exclude mashed potatoes from my diet.

Today for dinner I had baked chicken, greens, and a little salad with a bottle of water on the side.
I am going to eliminate bread from my meals immediately!!

For breakfast tomorrow I am eating eggs and a banana?? sounds gross, lol maybe I'll just stick with the eggs!

as far as the weight lifting, I am going to start that tomorrow, I always figured that I should only focus on the treadmills and ellipticals and then try to build muscle after I reached close to my goal.

thank you all soooo much! your responses really opened my eyes!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Good for you for soliciting advice and rsponding so quickly! It shows how serious you are.

The weight lifting is so imprtant. first you burn more calories with lean muscle tissue. Also your metabolism is up for a longer time after a strength training session. Also, if you are on a low calorie diet your body could "use" your lea muscle tissue so you need to keep building it! Good luck!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #8  

Thank You Stacygee,
Yes I am very serious and committed to this weight loss!

I never knew anything about how much having lean muscle can help with losing weight, thanks for the information, i am going to spend 30 - 40mins working on my muscles alone.

Thanks for the advice =)