Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Squash recipes needed....lots and lots of them...

MindiV
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
A lady just brought this to me. She heard I like squash. Apparently it's a Tahitian squash. And this is "one of the small ones."

Help!

tommy
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
So it is a hard winter squash?

ETA: googled and it is like an overgrown butternut - so yes hard and sweet. I would treat it like butternut which I like in soup. Hungry Girl has loads of recipes using it in pasta and making baked fries. If it is too much you can nuke it till easy to cut , split it, de-seed and pack the excess in portion sized containers and freeze.

MindiV
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Squash is ok frozen? I'd always been told it was hard to freeze...

tommy
01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
The summer squash like zucchini or crookneck gets all odd and watery when frozen, but the orange hard ones take to it like a fish to water. I cook them (nuke) till able to cut but still firm enough that I can slice however I want for the final prep (eg roasting) The last of the butternuts I grew this year is in cubes in quart ziplocks. It was a biggun. I have used it from the freezer in a coconut curry soup and further cooked and mashed it and used in cornbread. No appreciable difference from fresh.