South Beach Diet - Bug in my chia seeds

View Full Version : Bug in my chia seeds

Mmckellen
01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I keep a tupperware of chia seeds at work to make chia fresca. Last week when I opened it up I noticed that some of the seeds seemed to be "threaded" together - sort of lumped together with a spun silk type strand. The seeds looked ok otherwise, so I went ahead and made a fresca (felt fine after). Today I opened up the tupperware, and there was a full sized grain moth or something in there!! Has this happened to anyone else? I buy my seeds in a sealed bag from the healthfood store (not bulk bin).

Ruthxxx
01-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Yup, it happens. I'd let them know. There were probably wee eggs in the seeds when they were packaged for sale.
The good news is they don't eat much ... runs from the room at top speed!

AmyKitKat
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Mmckellen - I feel silly, but Chia seeds, like the ones that come with the clay pots? Are they for snacking? Do they have particular benefits besides (I'm guessing) 0 calories ;)

shelflife
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I have nothing to offer but :yikes:

Mmckellen - I feel silly, but Chia seeds, like the ones that come with the clay pots?
lmao! My thoughts too: Ch-ch-ch-chia!

Mmckellen
01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
They do have a lot of benefits - very high fiber and very high in Omega 3 fats. Google them for more info. They do have calories, as a matter of fact 2 tbsp. are 3 points on WW.

Ruthxxx
01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
They are sometimes referred to as Salba and are the seeds used for Chia Pets. I've been buying them for over a year to add to my cereal and have yet to find a bug or egg.

Mmckellen
01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
It must have been a one off since I've never had them before either. I have, however, had a grain moth infestation so very little shocks me.

Lexxiss
01-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I recently had some little bugs in dried beans I bought. I just used the beans since I was cooking the heck out of them, but did figure they were actually a sign that they were organic. It happens...nothing the store could do to control it. I wouldn't be so thrilled to eat the chia seeds, though.

For the less squeamish, Bear Grylls would tell you they contain protein.

srmb60
01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Add a bayleaf to your container! Seriously! I keep open baggies of bayleaves in my "bulk food" type cupboards. Haven't had a problem for years.

zeffryn
01-10-2011, 04:36 PM
It happens with most grains and seeds. My whole wheat flour often has teeeeeeensy bugs in it if I leave it long enough.

CyndiM
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Putting things in the freezer will also help but it happens.

weezle
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
:faint: and :barf:

That is all.

Heidi58
01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Yuck!
Thankfully, I've never had that happen.

Although, now that I think about it, my eyes are usually only half open as I sprinkle them into my breakfast yogurt or oats.... I doubt I'd have noticed anyway. :lol: