Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #1  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Daily Positivity Challenge

More often than not the thing that trips me up the most in my journey is destructive thinking. My negative self talk has pulled me down too much. I've been trying to change my attitude for a while but it keeps teetering back and forth.

So I'm challenging myself to come up with at least three things to be optimistic and thankful for each day. I will also set an intention/affirmation for each day and every time I start to slip back into my detrimental thought processes I will repeat it to myself.

I'd love it if anyone would like to join me!

Jan, 9 2011

No matter how many times I get off track I never fully let go and always find a way back. I've averaged about 2lbs per month since I got serious with weight loss 2 1/2 years ago, which isn't the fastest but it is NOT a failure.

I've learned so much through this process about what works for me and what I need to do. Even the mistakes I've made have taught me something and, pounds lost aside, I have gained immeasurable rewards that will help me my entire life.

I'm so much fitter than I was two and a half years ago. I remember when I could barely get through walking every morning and thought I was going to die by the time we got done! Now I am pushing myself more and more with exercise and doing things I never thought I could.

(Hmm, that was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Hopefully this should get easier with time...)

Intention/Affirmation: I am more than a number on the scale or the size of my jeans and yesterday's mistake does not negate the effort I put into today. I will not punish myself for something that is over and cannot be changed or berate myself for things that I feel aren't changing fast enough. I will honor my body by giving it the nutritious diet and healthy exercise it craves because my body is a gift, not something I have to beat into submission.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 01-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Height: 5'4"

Wow, your affirmation is exactly what I was trying to put into words...therefore, I will plagiarize:

Intention/Affirmation: I am more than a number on the scale or the size of my jeans and yesterday's mistake does not negate the effort I put into today. I will not punish myself for something that is over and cannot be changed or berate myself for things that I feel aren't changing fast enough. I will honor my body by giving it the nutritious diet and healthy exercise it craves because my body is a gift, not something I have to beat into submission.
chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #3  
Joie de Vivre!!

I'm glad it could help you! =)
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Oh, man, I saw this and I wanted to join, but I think I'm more negative than I thought. I have issues coming up with positive things because the negative thoughts are always right there behind them, squashing them down with "buts". Eep. You are an inspiration though!
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #5  
Joie de Vivre!!

rainbowstripe Feel free to post anyway, even if you can't come up with positive things to post just setting a goal to be more positive is a step in the right direction.

This is something I have been battling for a long time, and I know it's really hard! My mind just naturally goes to a dark place and if I don't consciously switch my thoughts through-out the day I spiral down and down.

It's so hard for me to realize that it's okay for me to like myself. Not because other people like me. Not because I've lived up to a social standard. Not because I've done something worthy of praise. But simply because I have a right to be happy with me for myself, without guilt and without apology. I struggle with this but it's getting a tiny bit easier as I work on it.

As a side note, words that are now removed from my vocabulary: Fat, ugly, failure, and can't.

Every time I think these I will consciously replace them with: I am working to make my body healthy. I am more than my physical appearance. I can try again. I will do my best.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 01-09-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #6  
Joie de Vivre!!

Jan, 10 2011

My body is functional, and whether or not I'm frustrated with the extra pounds I've put on it, it is capable of so many things. I should be thankful for the ability to move and be active not whine about what I have to do.

If I want to do something I will. If I decide to get it done then it will get done. I need to stop thinking about how momentous something seems, remember that it's my own head getting in the way, and do it already!

I'm thankful for family that loves me. It's hard to be far away from all of them but I know how much I mean to them.

Intention/Affirmation: Just as I'm more than a number, my food is more than an accumulation of calories. Food is fuel for my body and it should energize me and make me strong. While I should enjoy what I eat it is not for recreation. I will eat to care for my body and give it nutritious whole foods.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #7  
Joie de Vivre!!

I'm hoping this will be kind of like exercise. When upping the intensity of a routine there is that point where it's really difficult and you want to give up, but you have to push through that threshold and it starts to improve.

I've been consciously removing all room for destructive thoughts by dwelling on positive ideas and listening to positive music. But I've been getting twinges of anxiety and even embarrassment about it. Thoughts like, why post it publicly? People are going to laugh at you. You're being self centered, everyone will think you're weird. Well, even if that is true (logically I tend to believe more people will ignore me than think disapprovingly about this thread) I still need to force myself through it because I can tell it will help - if I don't give up. I want it posted publicly because if gives me a feeling of accountability, and I'm hoping maybe some people will join me eventually because sometimes the best way to help yourself change is to support another person doing the same thing.

My three positive/thankful things for Jan 11

I'm thankful for my husband. He loves me unconditionally and is supportive and understanding.

I'm alive and healthy. I can do anything. The only thing holding me back from my dreams is ME. I will conquer me.

I'm thankful for all the things I take for granted. The little details in life are sometimes the most important.

Intention/Affirmation: I am me, living my life. I may not be doing every thing right. Sometimes I might not only get my foot caught in my mouth but start to swallow it too. I'm not the smartest or the funniest or the prettiest. But it's okay. Success is not an arbitrarily defined finish line that equals perfection. It is waking up every morning and saying, Today I will do my best to improve on who I was yesterday.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 01-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #8  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I had to steal one of your lines and add something to it because I loved it.

I'm not the smartest or the funniest or the prettiest. But, then again, who is?
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #9  
Joie de Vivre!!

I got in a very bad mood last night. I tried to stop the transferring I do not to have to deal with what I'm actually upset about, and worked on identifying and feeling the emotion that was really causing it. I wasn't totally successful but this is a process right?

Jan 12

I'm alive, I'm healthy, I'm capable. What's to complain about?

I almost completed several non-modified push ups yesterday (I didn't go quite low enough for it to be official). Imagine what I will be able to do next year if I keep up with exercise and challenging myself.

My sister-in-law is being sent to New York for some school thing! I'm excited for her.

Intention/Affirmation: It is okay to have an unpleasant emotion. I don't need to feel guilty about it or pretend it's not there. But I do need to really feel it. I can't bury it with food or under layers of other negativity.