100 lb. Club - Too lazy to peel an orange? Really??

caryesings
01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Have to laugh at myself sometimes. I have substituted my daily fruit snack every day this week for something I could grab faster out of the fridge or cupboard (I work from home). I was thinking that it was cravings for something higher calorie. Today I realized it was because peeling the oranges was more effort than slicing up an apple or pear or peeling a banana. These were the first oranges I bought this season.

Today I bit the bullet and actually peeled one of the oranges. It was lovely. Took less than a minute to peel. I'm really regretting the extra calories I ate now that I realize why I was avoiding the oranges.

DisgruntledOne
01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
lol I am neurotic about oranges and grapefruit. First of all I always have some cut on my hand that burns and no absolutely no white skin stuff can be on it. NONE I tell ya. So it takes me forever to peel it but it's so worth it.

DixC Chix
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
That's one of the reasons I like Little Cutie Clementines - easy to peel and not a lot of the white left on the sections.

Oranges are also a good fruit to eat because it keeps my hands busy so it last longer and slows down my eating.

sept15lija
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Haha! I can't stand peeling oranges. Way too much work for me, and way too much mess! I am lazy and neurotic, seriously. It's clementines around here, baby. :)

Essa415
01-07-2011, 05:10 PM
That's one of the reasons I like Little Cutie Clementines - easy to peel and not a lot of the white left on the sections.

I am addicted to clemintines, I literally have a "tree" of them by my desk (see attached pic).

I use the peeling part as a way to keep my hands busy while doing something i would otherwise snack on bad things while doing, like watching TV. I like working for my fruit sometimes.

DixC Chix
01-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I enjoy one or two clementines a day. They are so sweet - yum.

I was in major withdrawal this fall when they were not in stock at my local grocery.

I'm having one now!! :D

Vladadog
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm another 2 clementines a day girl. They are my "candy" and they practically peel themselves. I love love love those things!

DisgruntledOne
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
alrighty I am convinced!!! Tomorrow to the store I go for clemtines.

Shmead
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
The clementines here (TX) are lousy this year. Not half as sweet as they usually are: just bland. The naval oranges are excellent, though.

timkerbelle
01-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I love (love!) clementines/mandarins so much!
A tip though for those orange peeling haters - cut your orange in 4 segments and eat it like you would a melon. So quick and easy, and less messy :)

Eliana
01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I hate peeling oranges too, so I don't! They slice up easier than an apple, I think. You don't have to cut out the seeds.

I don't know why I don't eat oranges more often. Sometimes you really get a good one.

theox
01-07-2011, 08:41 PM
The Earth Fare near my apartment building sells little boxes of pre-sliced oranges. It's awesome. Delicious fruit without the mess of peeling.

jessy 49
01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm a peeling hater altho I'll peel a clementine bec they are fairly easy. For oranges or grapefruit I cut both ends off, cut the peel off, then slice into 6 sections, removing seeds as I go.

I realized as I was typing it out that my routine for oranges and grapefruit sounds like far more work than peeling !! :-)

akacutie
01-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I hate peeling my oranges too... I second slicing up the oranges... that is what i do... it takes 1/2 second to peel the slices before you eat it... :) Yummmm.... I love oranges!

DisgruntledOne
01-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Speaking of oranges...(I am a QVC junkie) has anybody tried Cushman's oranges. Apparently they are a cross between tangerines and grapefruit. They are suppose to be super sweet and very juicy. I think they are grown in fla and the only place I have seen them are on tv.

JustSharing83
01-08-2011, 02:55 AM
I get where you're coming from... Oranges are a favorite of mine, and on plan, I try to eat lots of them. I also got sick of peeling, so I'm now a slicer then I either just bite into the wedge of peel the wedges one at a time. It reminds me of school lunch "orange smiles".

goal4agirl
01-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Are clementines and mandarin oranges the same thing? I was given a large bag of clementines for Christmas. I have never ate one before. I didn't even know what they were. I asked if it was tangerines?
I have always bought canned mandarin oranges to put on my salads.
So when I peeled the clementine I noticed it looked just like a mandarin orange.
It was just love at first bite! I googled the calories on these little delights- 35 calories each (heaven). It is like candy. For years I have ate foods that were bad for me and avoided the produce section. I am discovering the most delicious foods I never knew of :D

Elvish Mistress
01-08-2011, 04:38 AM
I believe that a clementine is one of the varieties of mandarin oranges. My SO and I are both addicted to clementines as well. They are my go-to when I want something sweet.

Vladadog
01-08-2011, 08:28 AM
The clementines here (TX) are lousy this year. Not half as sweet as they usually are: just bland. The naval oranges are excellent, though.

Not all clementines are created equal. I've found different brands to vary widely and now pretty much only buy the boxes marked "Darling Clementines" because they are almost always the quality I want (never a whole bad box but occassionally one that is spoiled or just not as great whereas other brands sometimes the whole box is tasteless or funny tasting or otherwise just not worth the insane price you pay for a box of tiny fruit).

CristinaZepol
01-08-2011, 08:32 AM
i eat oranges every after meal most of the time. but i just buy the smaller ones. yeah i agree peeling can sometimes be a bit annoying.

losermom
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I LOVE oranges! My co-workers make fun of me because I bring a sliced orange to work almost everyday. I too hate to peel oranges and will only eat a peeled one if DH peels it for me. I often serve sliced oranges (as a side) to my family for dinner too.

I cut the ends off, slice it in half and slice it into half-moons. Yummy and not messy at all! Also, it doesn't brown like sliced apples.

DixC Chix
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
It reminds me of school lunch "orange smiles".

:D

KatMarie
01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Oranges and grapefruits are a pain for me to eat. I take the peel off then I have to peel that thin, filmy skin off of each section, too. That thin film of a skin messes my stomach up!

time2lose
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Vladadog originally posted I'm another 2 clementines a day girl.

Just 2? :) I have 4 or 6 some days. At 35 calories each, they help me get through the day. I had never tried clementines before reading about them here at 3FC and now I just love them.

I also hate peeling oranges, I think, because of the juice. Clementines are so much easier to peel.

Goddess Jessica
01-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Apparently they are a cross between tangerines and grapefruit.

I had one of these -- It was called something different. It was like an orange made out with a grapefruit -- just a blush of indiscretion (but not too much grapefruit flavor).

Now that I'm pregnant, I eat around 5 oranges a day. Clementines are lovely if they are not bland. Mandarins and sumatras are fantastic. I just found a tangerine tree on one of my walks that is neglected and falling over with fruit so I steal one on the loop back and eat it (hey, I'm pregnant -- it's my excuse for everything).

Here's what I think should happen -- grocery stores should let you TRY the fruit before you buy it. I have peeled an orange only to be disappointed in the lack of flavor. My farmers' market lets me do it so why not???