100 lb. Club - What is your favourite healthy breakfast

GabrielleEmersyn
01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm wondering what everyone likes to have for breakfast???

I absolutely LOVE having Special-K with milk, yogurt & sliced peaches on top.. it makes a lovely sweet - but healthy combination, and there is also the crunch from the Special-K. I'm eating it right now :spin:

morphomel
01-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. Today's was oats, egg whites, raspberries, maple flavoring and splenda. Yummy! :) The base is always oats and egg whites, but I add different things everyday.

seagirl
01-07-2011, 03:25 PM
1/2 cup dry oatmeal, ~1/2 cup pumpkin, 3/4 cup water. Pumpkin pie spice. Tsp butter and tablespoon maple syrup.

Fills me up for the whole morning!

joyfulloser
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
1/2 cup dry oatmeal, ~1/2 cup pumpkin, 3/4 cup water. Pumpkin pie spice. Tsp butter and tablespoon maple syrup.

I MUST try this...;) Thanks for the recipe!:D

goal4agirl
01-07-2011, 03:33 PM

That sounds wonderful! Thank you for the idea;)

Rosinante
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
1/4 cup dry oatmeal microwaved with 1/2 cup water.
when hot
dolloped with 100g plain, set yogurt and
sprinkled with 10g flaxseed and ground nuts mix and 1 tsp real sugar

I could eat it for ever!

goal4agirl
01-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Grits and coffee :coffee:

Slim CB
01-07-2011, 03:38 PM
PB sandwich with 1/3 banana between....yum!!

Teresa66
01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I eat Kashi Go Lean, with light vanilla soymilk, and 1/2 oz of dried cranberries (blueberry flavor is the current passion). Along with a cup of Chai tea and fat free H&H every single morning.

Essa415
01-07-2011, 03:40 PM
My normal breakfast is a 6-8 oz non-fat regular or greek yogurt, one packet of instant plain oatmeal and sometimes a piece of fruit like a banana, orange or grapefruit. I eat breakfast at work every morning so its easy to buy everything the weekend before and have a good breakfast at my desk every morning.

At home during the weekend I do love special K (the new honey oat one is amazing) or I make myself an omlette or poached eggs.

I love grits too!! :love:

CanadianCutie
01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Lately I've been having oatmeal and a piece of fruit, if it's grapefruit I'll sprinkle a little sugar on top and let it absorb. It's funny I eat the unsweetened ruby red grapefruit (the del monte fruit naturals), but if I buy the ruby red grapefruit whole I have to sweeten it a little. I know the parts between the segments lends a bitter taste, but I never eat that.

FitGirlyGirl
01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I have rice chex, light soy milk(usually chocolate), light yogurt, and 1 serving of egg beaters.

jigglefree
01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Eggbeaters and turkey sausage. OH YEA!!! Shall I have breakfast for dinner tonight? :drool:

Beverlyjoy
01-07-2011, 05:54 PM

I eat pumpkin with lite margerine and syrup all the time as a side dish or snack... but, never though of it with oatmeal. Thanks for the idea!

I usually have a combination of some of these: egg whites, egg whites with veggies, pnb toast, fruit, Morningstar bacon, cottage cheese with banana, pnb on English muffin, fruit, oatmeal (w/ almond butter, cinnimon, milk, 1/2 banana - flavor of muffin).

jab91864
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm going to have to try the pumpkin, it sounds great and it's very good for you!!

DixC Chix
01-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Do you microwave the mixture or just stir it up?

My new breakfast gig is light 100% WW bread eggbeater French toast with Activia light vanilla yogurt on top and a side of precooked turkey sausage. Weird, right?

SparrowSings
01-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I am such a zombie in the morning, whatever I eat has to be beyond simple:

2 pieces whole wheat toast with 1 wedge of laughing cow lite between them, a small can of V8, water. Later in the morning I usually have 1/2 grapefruit with SALT, as it was intended to be eaten --- sugar, indeed!

(Kidding! :lol:)

(well, just teasing the folks that use sweeteners, but I do use salt....)

graycyn
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Scrambled egg/egg whites, spinach or chard salad, piece of fruit. Sometimes I have oatmeal in addition.

My other favorite when I'm pushed for time is a protein smoothie, usually with greek yogurt, vanilla PP, spinach, baby carrots, cinnamon, assorted frozen berries and some fish oil or nuts. That was breakfast this morning, in fact, 'cuz I woke late and was rushing to get to my exercise class!

LeslieWendy
01-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Sweet potato hash, so good and under 300 calories.

Sum38
01-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Berry smoothie;
1/2 milk
scoop of protein powder
1/2 banana
1 cup frozen mixed berries
ice cubes

Blend it smooth; it will fill you up for hours.

theox
01-08-2011, 01:03 AM
A low-fat turkey sausage biscuit with jelly (usually grape), fruit, and milk and/or water.

Or sometimes in warmer weather -

Plain Greek yogurt mixed with Kashi GoLean Crunch, fruit, and water.

Initiative
01-08-2011, 01:19 AM
I think one of my favorite breakfast's is yogurt mixed with granola, or yogurt with cashews on the side. I've really gotten into greek yogurt. I went and bought every brand I could find to try the differences. So far they are all really good.

SouthLake
01-08-2011, 01:48 AM
I love "pumpkin pie" oatmeal! I usually add a tablespoon or so of one of the fat free sugar free flavored creamers to mine.

I find carbs in the morning are usually a bad move for me, and protein seems to bbe my best bet. These days, my breakfasts during the week are a standard 2 eggs, half cup of broccoli, and 1/8-1/4 c light sharp cheddar cheese, scrambled in the mic at work. When I'm feeling a little feisty or bored, I add in some green taco sauce. Yum!

Another go to, especially if I'm going to workout first thing, is a slice of sprouted wheat toast with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and a cup of fat free milk.

Hyacinth
01-08-2011, 02:03 AM
I like a smoothie made with milk, frozen fruit, and oatmeal.

I also sometimes steam or saute zucchini, maybe with some onions.

Greek yogurt with walnuts and honey is also awesome.

Sometimes I heat up leftover rice and add milk and some cinnamon and sweetener.

The Last Noel
01-08-2011, 02:07 AM
I'm another one of those morning zombie people. Mine have to be easy. I work nights sometimes so when I get home in the morning I have breakfast and go to bed. That is usually 2 graham crackers and a cup of milk. It's about 200 calories and fills me up. If I am hungry when I wake up at 11am I have a boiled egg or two and a cup of mint tea. Mmmm!

That pumpkin pie oatmeal sounds delicious btw.

s rosa
01-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Another zombie here. I can't have to actually cook anything or it just won't happen. I like a hardboiled egg, 2 turkey sausage patties, and either a whole grain english muffin or a couple slices of whole grain toast with sugar free jam or almond butter. I do like sweet potato so maybe I'll start pre-cooking big batches of sweet potato hash and warm it when I heat up my turkey sausage...hmmm...

starbrite
01-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Instant oatmeal- Yum ! (BTW another zombie speaking !)

BigBlueStar
01-08-2011, 08:57 AM
This week has been a packet of instant oatmeal mocrowaved with a small diced apple to give it a little more substance. Top with Cinnamon and a packet of Splenda. Also couple cups of coffee with Splenda and creamer (working on weening myself off that)

I have to have the same thing everyday, it seems I have less temptation to overeat if I have eaten the same thing in the same healthy portion for a week before that? Soo....Got a few good ideas for next week, thanks all!

Bunti
01-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I look at these wonderful yummy sounding breakfasts, and know that for me, too much starch first thing in the day would trigger my hunger. Some of them could possible be a weekend brunch idea, as long as I started with protein.

I often have a protein/fat combo (egg or meat) a veggie (if some are left over), and maybe a half serving of oat bran, scottish oatmeal or flax seed cereal artificially sweetened if I am really hungry. Plus coffee, water and my vites. If I am still hungry I have a piece of low calorie fruit and 1/8c of plain greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon and sweet n low.
Usually its just the eggs, salsa coffee, vites and water, with the fruit and yogurt my mid morning snack. I am a bear without coffee and food in the morning.

My body responds to regular cereals the same way it responds to candy. A serving is never enough, so I have to avoid them. I hope as I lose weight and the pre-diabetes, that will change.

Arctic Mama
01-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I love porridge. I crack spelt, oat groats, or kamut berries in my blender and then cook them up on the porridge setting of my rice cooker. Once they're done I add a little soy milk, butter, and sugar to make it slightly sweet. I get half my daily fiber and a good deal more protein than an egg in less than 400 calories and it fills me up for hours.

I also like doing my porridges with whole grains, uncracked. It gives a fluffy texture closer to soft rice. Very yum :)

SparrowSings
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Bunti: I look at these wonderful yummy sounding breakfasts, and know that for me, too much starch first thing in the day would trigger my hunger. Some of them could possible be a weekend brunch idea, as long as I started with protein.

Oh, now that is interesting. I avoid normal cereal because I find it very difficult only eat a normal serving, and yes, now that I think about it, even when I eat way too much, I am hungry soon after. And toast with butter leaves me hungry later, but toast with laughing cow doesn't.

Protein, huh? Thank you so much for your post, Bunti --- I am going to have to do a little experimentation.

toastedsmoke
01-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I was a lifetime oatmeal hater (actually used to get and have to hide an actual gag reflex at the sight of SOMEONE ELSE eating it) but recently converted a couple of months ago after being convinced to try the long-cooking steel-cut raw kind. I LOVE this stuff and now eat it every morning! I add a tablespoon of flaxseeds and sunflower seeds and about tablespoon of skim milk and a sachet of Splenda and I'm good to go.

LolaCrane
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
All those breakfasts sound superb! I'm doing on a high protein/low carb kick right now so stick to veggie omlettes in the mornings topped with salsa that I make myself with tomatoes, jalapenos, green onions and diced bell peppers.

Later, I'll come back to grains. Love whole grain cheerios with almond milk! Oatmeal with berries and any of the suggested additions I read about here sounds fantastic in my state of carb withdrawal. I also adore Fage Greek Yogurt and blueberries with Mona's original (sugar free) granola.

For a special treat on Sunday, I like to take a batch of roasted root vegetables (which I make in huge trays, then save to eat throughout the rest of the week) and drop a poached egg on top! I have a recipe for brussel sprout hash (stir fried with caramelized shallots) that's wonderful under a poached egg, also!

Bunti
01-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Lola, where is your brussels sprout recipe, sounds like one I'd like to have with an egg on top, too!

Jen516
01-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Here are my favs. They are mostly make ahead with a bit of toasting/heating...

*English Muffin, toasted, with deli ham, cheddar cheese, and a slice of apple (My absolute fav, I <3 this more than McDonald's Sausage Biscuits now. And I LOOOOVED those! ).
*Oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar, almonds and dried apricots (raisin are good too).
*Yogurt with frozen berries, a bit of vanilla granola, and almonds.
*Protein Bagel with Peanut butter or Almond butter.
*Frozen waffles/pancakes with a veggie sausage patty (also frozen!) topped 1/3 cup of frozen blueberries (microwaved first until sauce-like).
*And an odd one: I take a hard-boiled egg and mash it up small with a fork (i don't really like the whites too much, this distributes the yolk really well), then I add some mustard and put it on toast or a bagel thin. I add tomato slices if i have them. I know the mustard-only thing is weird, but I hate mayo.

krampus
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I like having a big dinner and lunch so I just power on through the morning. 112g of plain Meiji brand "LG21" yogurt is my go-to. Sometimes when I'm feeling frisky, I'll put bran flakes on top.

fillupthesky
01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
my favorite it 2 egg whites with 1 whole egg, mixed with cooked spinach, and folded over a slice of low fat swiss...served with some sort of fruit on the side...preferably melon and a slice of toast :)

my usual breakfast is so boring. lol

LindseyLou
01-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Fiber One honey clusters with low fat milk, and a sliced banana on top! :drool: (16g of fiber too!)

My second favorite is strawberries and cream oatmeal made with low fat milk! :)

ThinningVegan
01-13-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm big on smoothies for breakfast. The one I have in the morning usually consists of 1 banana, 2 cups of mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries), a handful of spinach, a handful of kale, 1 tbsp of ground flax seed and water. Sometimes I'll even throw some cucumber in there mmmmm

time2lose
01-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I went through an oatmeal stage but it look a large amount to satisfy me. For months now, I have 3 servings of Eggbeaters and one piece of whole wheat toast. That is 153 calories and it holds me for hours.

Just a note. I am never satisfied with anything when I first stop eating breakfast. That is true now and was true when I ate a huge breakfast. I always want more. Anyway, after 20 minutes or so after eating, I am fine. I just have to remind myself of that when I want more breakfast.

synger
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't deal well with sugars or starches in the morning, so my healthy breakfasts are rather different than most here. I alternate between two:

Cottage cheese, and a cup of tea with coconut oil and cream (the fat keeps me satisfied until lunch... never thought I'd be able to skip that mid-morning snack I had for years!)

Eggs fried in bacon grease, mushrooms, and coffee with cream (sometimes I add bacon, too)

These are between 300 and 400 calories and full of satisfying fats and proteins that keep my cravings down and my stomach satisfied. I tend to eat my carbs at lunch and dinner (a slice of bread here, a bowl of berries there, veggies anywhere). Breakfast is very low carb, though, or my blood glucose spikes more than I like.

For me, it's all about keeping the blood sugar from spiking, reducing cravings, and appetite suppression. Lower carb works for me for these things. (and my cholesterol is better than ever!)

Trazey34
01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
i'm another morning zombie - bowl of cheerios and out the door. Usually once i'm at work, I'll have a big scoop of cottage cheese and a piece of fruit. On w/e i'll leave the crock pot on with oatmeal - for the liquid, i use 3/4 water and 1/4 apple juice, and chop up some apple in it, some cranberries, and near the end toss in some walnuts for crunch and maybe a squirt of agave if it isn't sweet enough

Rhapsodysia
01-13-2011, 07:22 PM
It's a tossup between a few:

1) Special K w/ Strawberries

2) Greek yogurt

3) Oatmeal w/ Blueberries

girlonfire
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
GoLean, muesli, or grape nuts (1 serving, whatever it is), 1/2 cup fage nonfat Greek yoghurt or silk light vanilla soy milk, some form of fruit( berries, banana, peaches, grapes, etc.)

Every once in awhile I like to eat eggs, turkey bacon, and a toasted English muffin :-)

lostangel05
01-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Two toasted slices of whole wheat bread, 1 medium banana sliced up and 2 Tbsp peanut butter....put all together..yum and super filling! I usually have a cup of pineapple mango juice with it. Ahh...good.

vdander24
01-13-2011, 11:05 PM
I was a lifetime oatmeal hater (actually used to get and have to hide an actual gag reflex at the sight of SOMEONE ELSE eating it) but recently converted a couple of months ago after being convinced to try the long-cooking steel-cut raw kind. I LOVE this stuff and now eat it every morning! I add a tablespoon of flaxseeds and sunflower seeds and about tablespoon of skim milk and a sachet of Splenda and I'm good to go.

I TOTALLY understand the gag reflex! I can't stand the instant oatmeal! It must be the texture. My family likes it, but if I can't take the time to make old-fashioned oats ( about 5 minutes) then I'll skip it. I also don't really do the yogurt. I have not had the steel-cut oats yet, because they are a bit higher in cost, but after I am out of my old-fashioned oatmeal, I plan to give them a try.

I really want to try the pumpkinrecipes. They sound fantastic!

The Last Noel
01-13-2011, 11:34 PM
This thread is pretty great. I dont know half of what some of this stuff is but I will find out and learn how to make it.

Subscribed!

Petite Powerhouse
01-14-2011, 12:23 AM
I have Greek yogurt every morning. The rest of my breakfast varies, but I am addicted to Greek yogurt. I love the tartness and texture. To me it is so much better than any other yogurt out there. It has ruined me for all the others. And of course it has a lot more protein.

Hyacinth
01-14-2011, 12:12 PM
I think instant oatmeal and steel-cut oatmeal differ so much, they are like two entirely different foods. I much prefer steel-cut. I cooked up a large vat of it over the weekend and had it every day for lunch this week, reheated, with an apple sliced over it and some milk poured on top.

The Last Noel
01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I was experimenting a little this morning. I heated up some toast and spread fat free cream cheese on it. Then I sprinkled organic brown sugar and cinnamon. Drank a cup of skim milk with that. 180 calories in all. And YUM.

Gamecockgrrl
01-16-2011, 12:16 AM

WOOOOO HOOOOO for my fellow G.R.I.T.S girl! :carrot:

My favorite healthy breakfast is plain cereal with skim milk and a little fruit, or a scrambled egg white. I loooooooovvvvveeee cereal and would choose it over ice cream any day even if I wasn't dieting. I have, at least, cut down on my portion sizes and now choose healthier varieties ;)

JenMusic
01-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Great thread! What I like about it is how it shows that "healthy breakfast" means different things to different people. Some people do more grains, some people more protein, some people more fruit . . . we all need different things.

I rotate among a few different breakfasts.

- My lower cal power breakfast (lots of protein and fat keeps me full for hours): Egg sandwich with 1 whole egg + 1 egg white scrambled, turkey bacon or ham, thin slice of sharp cheddar, on whole wheat light bread. About 315 calories.

- 2% Greek yogurt with berries (frozen now, fresh in summer) and dry oats (I don't cook them, they keep their texture better that way) OR Fiber One cereal. About 300-350 calories depending on cereal and portion.

- Pumpkin oatmeal pancake - 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 canned pumpkin, 1 egg (or 2-3 whites) mixed with spices and 1 tsp. baking powder. Mix and cook like a regular pancake. I eat it with a little PB and sugar-free syrup or agave. About 400 calories, depending on portion. This is a HUGE breakfast and I make it when I want that "brunch" feeling. Can't wait until summer when I can put fresh strawberries on top!

- Banana roll-up - Whole wheat tortilla, 1-2 Tbsp PB, cinnamon, and a banana. About 350 calories. This is a sweet breakfast treat. Add some yogurt for more protein.

KmbRN84
01-16-2011, 11:38 AM
My new favorite is a grilled banana and an egg scramble (1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, spinach, red pepper, and onion), yum!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I like a smoothie. I use SF chocolate protein powder, 1 sliced banana, 1 cup of SF Soymilk and 1 tbs of ground flax seed. When I have this for breakfast, I feel zero hunger until lunch time.