South Beach Diet - Newbie and Nervous

View Full Version : Newbie and Nervous

irishgal76
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I started Phase 1 on Monday January 3rd. I have had no breads, fruits, sugar, of any kind. Feel like crud. I"m so lethargic and no energy.
I 've tried to following the food list in the book but I'm still worried I'm not doing it right. I worry I'm eating things I "think" are ok but then , not sure. Like Italian Chicken Sausage with Asisago Cheese & Spinach? I don't know what on the labels I should be looking for exatcly? I know to look at the Sugar content but how much Fat & Carbs should I try to allow a day?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

uscarchie
01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
You're supposed to limit your sausage to 1 serving per week, or so I think. And stick to lower fat options like the chicken sausage.

You're doing fine, you've got the South Beach Flu...

Drink LOTS of water. Eat your beans. Get you dairy in. And whatever you do, don't give up! In a day or two you'll feel GREAT.

irishgal76
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I never saw anywhere where it said to limit sausage to 1 time a week? I 've been eating turkey sausage for breakfast every morning.

I'm so frustrated about what I can and can't eat. I thought SB was easy but so far it doesn't seem easy to me.

uscarchie
01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Hmmm, let me see where I got that from- maybe from the book.

http://www.*************************/shoppinglist_p1.htm

I'd say having 1 sausage patty with breakfast is fine.

uscarchie
01-07-2011, 05:06 PM
You know, I'm not 100% sure I'm helping out here. I think you would benefit from reading the SBD frequently asked questions thread here. There's a lot of good info.

irishgal76
01-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I have the book and have read it. Its a lot of information to take in. I came on this forum looking for help (notice my title said Newbie and Nervous) and I don't so far feel very welcomed but thanks anyway.

CyndiM
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
:welcome3: irish gal

A couple of links that might help if you haven't seen them:
Phase 1 food (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/141376-phase-i-foods-revised-may-2008-a.html) list is a good, quick place to check on foods
Emergency Handbook for Phase 1 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/58183-emergency-handbook-guide-phase-one.html)
I found Sausages (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/61024-sausages-daily-dish-july-7-2005-a.html)!

Are you eating beans and dairy every day? They won't cure the crud but should help. It is so worth it, you can do this!

Lily In Bloom
01-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Irishgal, I'm new too, and I started the same day you did. I felt really crud-y yesterday and wednesday, but today I feel a bit better. One thing I've found that I think helped me has been taking my dog for longer walks. I used to just take her down the stairs and then come right back, but now we go for a 20-30 minute walk.

Also, I've been getting a ton of my meal ideas from Kalyn's Kitchen, which is a really great blog with a lot of good recipes. I was able to find some fantastic stuff that didn't taste or seem like diet food to me. I haven't really been watching fat or anything else, just found approved recipes and cooked those.

AmyKitKat
01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Welcome!!! I hadn't really posted at all because I've just begun myself and can't offer much help with the food question.

But I also have had a rough week - tired but couldn't sleep, just generally exhausted all the time. I started Monday, and today I am starting to feel a bit better. Hang in there, and remember, all things in moderation. It's good to follow the diet exactly, but you also have to be able to live.

thefrenchgirl
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I started Phase 1 on Saturday and have been experiencing the same thing. I asked about side effects and others told me about SB Flu. It makes sense to me, our bodies are going through sugar detox. I was a carboholic, so I'm really feeling it. I have been eating beans, but I'm not a milk drinker. They say those two things are suppose to help. Good luck over the weekend!

cassrose
01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Hey Irishgirl, i am on day 3 of phase 1. I did it before christmas but then got of the wagon with all the christmas food. I read the supercharged book but i have found this website to be amazing for ideas of what to eat, especially for breakfast.
I haven't really followed lunch or dinner recipes, i have really just found out for sure what is ok to eat and then make food from that, it actually isn't as bad as what i thought it would be.
Keep your head up and don't give up because trust me it is so worth it, not even for the weight loss but because you end up feeling so much better and your skin looks better too

cottagebythesea
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM
:welcome:, Irishgirl! I'm sorry that you are feeling so confused and unsure of yourself right now, but as you become familiar with this plan, I promise it will get easier.
As CyndiM has suggested, please check out the stickied threads in our FAQ section of our forum. I believe you will find a lot of answers to your questions there. And don't hesitate to ask any questions you want. It may take a while for us to get back to you with answers, but we are all here to help you.

irishgal76
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Thank you ladies for your encouragement and advice. I guess I have done this all wrong for the past 5 days and its very discouraging . Was looking forward to Phase 2.

The sausages had 5 grams of fat which I personally don't consider bad. I would think a Sirloin which is on the "ok" list would be worse than ground chicken sausages??

I had 2 yesterday and 2 today. I have had turkey sausage links at breakfast every morning so I feel like I have totally sabatoged my first week and I just want to cry

irishgal76
01-07-2011, 08:05 PM
And I appologize for my grouchiness. I 'm just having a bad day. I just don't want to be told to "read the book' b/c I have read the book and I still have questions.

uscarchie
01-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Don't start over- if your weight is going down, you'll be ok. Just try from here on out to eat 1 sausage patty a day and eat more veggies. You're not sabotaging yourself... now, if you were eating bread, potatoes, drinking pints of beer, and licking all the frosting off the cupcakes.... that would be sabotaging yourself...

cassrose
01-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I understand how you feel because i didn't follow it to a t last time (had berries and some other fruit) but that doesn't mean you have to start again. I think i have learned this second time is that i have to get out of the mind set of 'i can't wait for phase 2 to be able to eat other things' because it will just drag you down and make the 2 weeks seem longer. I think the best thing to do is get to food list of the food you can have (if your not sure of anything check on here) then head to the supermarket, get the stuff you like and then find recipes. There are recipes in norman cook books you can use or modify a little. Also remember to eat LOTS of vegies and also get beans and diary into you as they make you feel full. Check out the Lemon Pie recipe in the breakfast section, i love it and it helps from sweet tooth. Also roasted chickpea's have been amazing and they are yummy.

Lexxiss
01-07-2011, 09:28 PM
:welcome2: I hope you start feeling better really soon. The fact that you're feeling cruddy is an indication that your body is detoxing. You'll feel so much better once you get through the detox.

It does get easier, as you get more familiar with the foods, etc. I kept my book on the table right by my throughout Phase 1 and even then I missed some things....

Best wishes!

tanner'smom
01-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Welcome. I am kind of new. I am in week 2. I wouldn't worry about the sausages. Just move forward. I messed up the first week to. Plus, you didn't have carbs or sugar so I say you are good to go.

jms423
01-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I am kind of in the same boat as you. I read the book and thought I understood but there seem to be so many rules. I was also eating chicken sausage (I think the same kind as you!!) I had one for dinner two nights in a row. For me I don't really worry about the fat in foods (as long as they aren't trans fat). Fats have really gotten a bad rep (imo) and they help me w/ satiety. While I've gotten my fair share of veggies, a serving of beans and dairy a day I think I have had too much fat according to this plan. I struggle w/ feeling like I failed and starting over or just getting plugging away.

I second guess myself because weight loss is so gradual...I don't want to plug away thinking I am doing it right when I am not. On the flip side, I don't want to stress about the little things because I haven't had any of the "foods to avoid"

I feel your pain and thanks for starting this thread!! I wish I could offer more advice, but at least I can offer a "I know how you feel and you aren't alone!"

CyndiM
01-08-2011, 08:16 AM
In my opinion (and it's just that ;)) the simple sugars are a much bigger deal in Phase 1. It's about killing your cravings, so going off plan with grains, fruit, or sugar can impact how well the plan will work for you. Dr. A is a cardiologist so his concerns about fats spring from that. They may slow your weight loss but they won't cause cravings down the road.

LolaCrane
01-08-2011, 08:47 AM
IrishGirl - keep the faith! I've been doing this for one week, too - and though I've managed to lose 5lbs, I actually ate FRENCH FRIES half way through the week. An example of the sort of impulse eating that trips me quite often. But, you can't let it make you feel you've "wasted" all the other effort. Just resolve to try harder next time to resist the urge when it hits, and get right back on the horse!

I work as a personal chef for a man who has to lose 100lbs - we really do more Atkins than South Beach though I'm weaning him from it slowly. He doesn't even notice the crossover. I've got him eating veggie omlettes with salsa on top for breakfast, totally off bacon and sausage! I consider this a huge victory since he would eat a half pound of bacon most mornings! I'm eating right along with him at lunch - yesterday blackened salmon and a great mixed salad with caesar dressing that I make from scratch. For dinner, I ate a South Beach frozen meal, uninterested in cooking. But I often have another salad loaded with hard boiled eggs and chickpeas. I find staying away from the carbs very difficult, particularly sweet things - but, hey - that's the challenge. Just move your body (I attibute my success this week to walking my dog three times a day for at least 30 minutes) and power walking whenever I can do it. As far as thinking you "screwed up" - lose that sort of thinking. It's counter productive, and you'd be kinder to yourself if you just took one day at a time! I actually ate FRENCH FRIES on Wednesday! Insane! But, I made myself forgettabout it - and resolved to try harder to resist that sort of impulse next time! You can do it, IrishGirl! We ALL can!

irishgal76
01-08-2011, 08:57 AM
I feel much better today ladies. Thank you soooo much!

Just some info.. here is the nutritional information on the chicken sausages I ate... I don't see that it should be that bad??? No sugars, 1 carb, and no trans fat and total fat isn't that bad for just one large link. I guess I'm wanting to know "Why?" WHy is this any worse than a Sirloin which is on the list?

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4.5g 7%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 65mg 22%
Sodium 770mg 32%
Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 15g 30%
Vitamin A15%
Vitamin C8%
Calcium6%
Iron

Lexxiss
01-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I guess I'm wanting to know "Why?" WHy is this any worse than a Sirloin which is on the list?

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4.5g 7%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 65mg 22%
Sodium 770mg 32%
Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 15g 30%
Vitamin A15%
Vitamin C8%
Calcium6%
Iron

Perhaps it's because of the high sodium content...I know, personally, that my scale numbers are not as favorable when I eat foods with lots of sodium. In fact, alot of times I don't weigh myself if I've eaten ham or sausage the day before. Now, I'm personally ok with that, because I've been following SBD long enough that I'm not emotionally tangled with the scale. The reality is alot of folks are and consuming more high sodium foods would slow down scale losses, especially on P1 where everyone seems to be looking for that drastic weight loss. Just my opinion, though. I don't have my book in hand.

TallandThin
01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
:welcome: Irishgal and by now I hope you are feeling a little better.I'm sorry that you are feeling so confused and unsure of yourself, but if you just hang in there and do the best you can at any given minute or day, I'm sure you will become much more familiar with this plan, and then it will get easier.

Laneebm
01-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I am new to the South Beach diet.. I was doing Atkins.. Lost 13 lbs..in 5 weeks.. But I like what SB can eat better.. I think it would be more to my liking for the long haul.. I weigh 212.8.. I want to get down to 140 lbs.. Need to lose about 75 lbs... Lanee..

LADY WINDSONG
01-10-2011, 12:25 PM
:welcome: Lanee

LvnLife
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and am on week one of South Beach, 5th day and I am STILL craving sweets like crazy. I think part of this may be because I am not drinking a lot of water?? I am frustrated, but will stick with it. My question is, does anyone know if blue agave nectar is allowed as a sweetener on SBD? I have tried looking through posts, but like I said, I am new (today!) and have to learn the ins and outs of this site. Thanks! P.S. I am glad you are feeling better irishgal76, hang in there!

uscarchie
01-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Blue agave nectar is allowed.

And drink as much water as you can stomach.

SouthLake
01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
The thing that has been most helpful to me on this plan is understanding the philosophy and ideas behind it. I tried SB in the past and failed, most likely because I saw it as some kind of magic food list of good and evil. Now, I see it as guidelines to help me

1. avoid cravings
2. keep my blood sugar even
3. avoid eating too much fat
4. eat more vegetables

As a result of these 4 things, I can control my hunger, lose weight, and no longer feel like I am slave to every pastry I see. With that said, I don't always follow the plan to a T. I have chicken and turkey sausages quite regularly (Trader Joes has the best!), I will occassionally have pineapple on my salad during P1, sometimes I will have full fat dressing. I eat center cut bacon. I also eat regular ketchup with sugar in it, in small amounts. None of these things cause cravings for me, nor have they stalled my weightloss. If my little bit of pineapple caused me to want a cookie, I would cut it out. If my weightloss stalled for any long period of time or stopped, I would tighten up. But, because everyone is different, these foods haven't caused me any issues, and so I will continue to eat them.

Don't think of this plan as a rigid list of dos and donts, but more of a framework for healthy eating. If a food isn't causing you to crave things, isn't grossly unhealthy (think deep fried anything, etc) and isnt slowing your weightloss to slower than you are comfortable with, have at it. (in moderation)

That is, of course, just my 2 cents. What works for one does not work for all.

Sum38
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I have been following "modified" SB diet - modified by me :)

If you have the cookbook; I LOVE, LOVE the black and white bean soup p.97. First time I followed the recipe exactly; next time I added some Italian sausage. The book says it makes 4 servings, but mine came out to 10 one cup servings.
Even without sausage, I found this soup very filling and satisfying. Without sausage it is Phase 1.

CyndiM
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
My question is, does anyone know if blue agave nectar is allowed as a sweetener on SBD?

Many of us use agave in Phase 2, though I haven't seen it on any official lists. I absolutely wouldn't use it for phase 1 though. It's still fructose.

uscarchie
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry for the mis-information then. I really thought the Agave Nectar was OK in phase 1. OK- I'm back to splenda 100% then.

See, Irishgal, we can be doing this for a long time and still mess up. We just gotta keep on going.

And defer to Cyndi and Ruth for final say in questions. :)

CyndiM
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Oops, just edited my post. I meant to say I wouldn't use it in Phase 1 :o I do use it in moderation (50 calories/T) in Phase 2. SORRY!

jms423
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
The thing that has been most helpful to me on this plan is understanding the philosophy and ideas behind it. I tried SB in the past and failed, most likely because I saw it as some kind of magic food list of good and evil. Now, I see it as guidelines to help me

1. avoid cravings
2. keep my blood sugar even
3. avoid eating too much fat
4. eat more vegetables

As a result of these 4 things, I can control my hunger, lose weight, and no longer feel like I am slave to every pastry I see. With that said, I don't always follow the plan to a T. I have chicken and turkey sausages quite regularly (Trader Joes has the best!), I will occassionally have pineapple on my salad during P1, sometimes I will have full fat dressing. I eat center cut bacon. I also eat regular ketchup with sugar in it, in small amounts. None of these things cause cravings for me, nor have they stalled my weightloss. If my little bit of pineapple caused me to want a cookie, I would cut it out. If my weightloss stalled for any long period of time or stopped, I would tighten up. But, because everyone is different, these foods haven't caused me any issues, and so I will continue to eat them.

Don't think of this plan as a rigid list of dos and donts, but more of a framework for healthy eating. If a food isn't causing you to crave things, isn't grossly unhealthy (think deep fried anything, etc) and isnt slowing your weightloss to slower than you are comfortable with, have at it. (in moderation)

That is, of course, just my 2 cents. What works for one does not work for all.

YES!!! This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly how I am starting to feel. I am not dropping tons of weight (day 10 on SBD) but I am starting to feel amazing. I am starting to feel like "it is working." At work I have been EASILY able to stay away from the sweets in the breakroom at work. It is a miracle. I just eat on plan and then cravings are subsiding. For me, this is long term. I have finally decided and accepted that. I think that is why it "is working" this time. I am not bummed that I haven't dropped weight yet. If I can stop the yo-yo craving cycle then I know slow and steady will happen. I am very happy and looking forward to the future.

Laneebm
01-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Morning ladies, It is only 4:40am.. I woke up early.. Down .4 lbs.. But will reweigh myself later in the morning.. Have a terrific day.. Lanee..

LvnLife
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Good morning everyone. Although I have been on SBD for over a week, I do not feel as though I am losing any weight. I have been following diet, but have been fairly lenient. Today, I am going to "start over" and follow directions exactly and drink a lot of water. If I remember correctly, according to the book, if one gets off track, they may do another week of phase 1, correct? Also, I am having trouble figuring out this site, like where to go to see if anyone has replied to post and so on. Is there an area where there are "directions?" I feel like a fool, because I am sure it is not that difficult, so excuse me for sounding so silly. Have a great day everyone!

AmyKitKat
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Morning LvnLife!

From my reading I also remember that Phase 1 may be done for an extra week, or done after "falling off the wagon" during other phases. I'm in my first 2 weeks of phase I, and have been totally clean - I've lost about 6-ish pounds, though I'm sure about 3 of that is water weight.

You can tell when someone has written something new on a thread when the title is in "bold". If you read a thread and then go back to the main page it should no longer be bold.

LvnLife
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Thank you AmyKitKat! I am playing around on site so I can become familiar with it, and not become frustrated and give up on site, because it seems like a great place to get tips, recipes, and support! (which I need!) It feels good to hear other peoples stories, and ideas. It gets me motivated. Like I said, today is the day I am going to be very strict about what I eat, and make sure I push the water! I go to Florida in April and want to feel comfortable, not wrapped up in a towel!

Heidi58
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi LvnLife, as AmyKitKat said, I usually just look for the bold thread titles in the SBD section because we do a new chat thread every day and it's easy enough to find the on plan and exercise threads.

I do post and follow posts in a few other sections of 3FC though, and for those I subscribe to the thread (Use thread tools at the top right side of the page when you're reading a thread you want to find later.) New posts in your subscribed threads will show up in your user CP each time you log in.

Another quick way to find threads you've posted in if you're not a huge poster is to click on your name in one of your posts. Choose "find more posts by LvnLife" and that will give you a list of all the posts you've made. You can get the same info on your profile page, too - I just go for the quick and easy. :p

Also, there is a FAQ section here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/frequently-asked-questions-155/).

LvnLife
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice re blue agave, how to navigate around site, etc. I feel much better. I have been playing around on site, and with the tips from you all, I am no longer frustrated. I am more motivated today than I have been in the last week. Reading others posts really motivate me. My hubby is away on business (he is doing SB along with me) so it makes it a bit more difficult when your SBD partner is away! Thank you ladies~look forward to "talking" with you all later! Have a great day~off to the treadmill now :)

weezle
01-18-2011, 03:20 PM
thefrenchgirl I FOUND YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! :D