100 lb. Club - who does ir doesnt like the attention you get from losing weight?

Ky30
01-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I know I'm gonna sound like an attention hog lol but I love the attention Im getting from family. friends, people at my children's school it makes me feel really good about myself and it lets me know my weight loss is noticable. Honestly when I started losing weight I thought the attention would bother me but it doesnt it actually lights a fire under me to keep going and going. So do you guys like the attention or not?

Vladadog
01-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Most people didn't notice I'd lost weight till I'd lost about 70 pounds. Since then I've gotten many favorable comments and congratulations form my friends and co-workers. It's nice to have the hard work recognized but I'm not one of the people who likes to spend too much time in the spotlight so I usually change the subject after a bit of chatting about it.

The attention I've never handled well in the past when I was thinner (I was never thin, mind you, but I used to be not sooo overweight) was attention from guys. I'm figuring now that I'm over 50 I won't have to deal with that quite so much.

Eliana
01-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I love the attention the first maybe two times...then it gets old. ;) I loved all the attention up until I got inundated with it when I returned to school in September. Having left school for the summer, when I returned everyone seriously thought I'd lost all 70 pounds over the summer!! It was insane. It was fun at times, but there were a few weeks where I could not walk down the hall without being bombarded with questions and comments.

Now, I love it when people say something who have never said anything before. But the people I see daily or weekly? I'm ready for them to just start seeing me as normal now. I actually get tired of hearing "Skinny" and other comments about weight loss. It's time to put it to rest. Just last week I was squatting while writing something on a poster on a wall and someone behind me made the comment, "We'll just tell everyone 'skinny' wrote it." I rolled my eyes, stood up, smiled and said, "Thank you". That gets old.

peanutt
01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I haven't had a single person comment on how I look. I know I look different, I can compare the photos! I wouldn't mind just a wee bit of attention. ;)

Eliana
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I haven't had a single person comment on how I look. I know I look different, I can compare the photos! I wouldn't mind just a wee bit of attention. ;)

:hug: It'll happen! Despite my above post, I felt like this too! Strongly! I couldn't wait for my first comments. And I thrilled each and every time I got them too. And even funnier, my friends gathered last weekend to see some friends from across the country whom I have not seen in a very long time. I was really disappointed that they didn't say anything! :( I was hurt actually! So I do still love those comments, just not ALL the time anymore. And it turns out my friends did compliment me, they just did it behind my back. :D

Vladadog
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Don't worry peanutt, people will start noticing and commenting. I think sometimes our friends have gotten so used to us as "big" they don't really *see* us any more. And the changes are so gradual that they just don't notice. But they WILL start noticing. For me it was around 70 pounds down that the comments really started coming.

GabrielleEmersyn
01-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I like the attention - it's nice to have *positive* attention regarding my weight, rather than the usual 'looks' which pretty much say "wow look at that fatso.."

beerab
01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I enjoy it- this morning a coworker told me it looks like I am still losing and I beamed and said yes thanks for noticing :)

DisgruntledOne
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't care too much for it. In fact when I start getting attention is usually when I starting gaining it all back.
Plus then they want to know how you did it and then you get all the customary.....oh I could never do that...oh I have a family I would never have time to do that....and so on and so on.

sept15lija
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I like it, but sometimes it's annoying (like when people go on and on), and sometimes it's downright weird. I belong to a large congregation, so every Sunday I get comments from different people who didn't see me other weeks. Last Sunday, I was in the parking lot getting my kids out of the car, and a guy old enough to be my father was driving by and said "Wow Liz, you're looking great, we should wrestle, I think I could take you now!" :yikes: I thought that was weird!! But anyhow, I like it most of the time, just sometimes it gets to be too much!

peanutt - Don't worry, you'll get it soon! I didn't start getting the onslaught of comments until 50-60 pounds had gone.

caryesings
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I loved it, but mine came in pretty big doses as I work from home and only see my co-workers and family twice a year. So I pretty much got pretty intense attention 2 different weeks, and then came back to my real life. My local friends saw the entire slow process so wasn't as big a deal for them.

The disconcerting one has been my beau. We met when I was already 100 lbs down so to him I've always been a pretty average sized woman. He knows about the weight loss and has even seen a few pictures of what I looked like 100 lbs ago. But to him, how I look now is just how I'm supposed to look.

FitGirlyGirl
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
For me it depends on the type of attention and who it comes from. My husband says things and while it does make me proud it also scares me because I know that he likes bigger girls. When I get attention from men other than my husband it annoys me if they know I'm married but they go a bit too far, if they don't know or don't go too far then it's flattering. When it is my family it is really strange because while I feel proud there is another member of my family who really needs to lose weight and is not doing well at all and so I end up also feeling guilty. There are ladies who work in one of my favorite clothing shops who always comment. I like that one, but I question their motives because they work on commission. Then I question myself for thinking that. I feel best about the comments from my friends because it is the place where I can feel pride without it mixing with anything else.

lottie63
01-07-2011, 10:24 PM
For me it depends on the type of attention and who it comes from. My husband says things and while it does make me proud it also scares me because I know that he likes bigger girls. When I get attention from men other than my husband it annoys me if they know I'm married but they go a bit too far, if they don't know or don't go too far then it's flattering. When it is my family it is really strange because while I feel proud there is another member of my family who really needs to lose weight and is not doing well at all and so I end up also feeling guilty. There are ladies who work in one of my favorite clothing shops who always comment. I like that one, but I question their motives because they work on commission. Then I question myself for thinking that. I feel best about the comments from my friends because it is the place where I can feel pride without it mixing with anything else.

...Just a note, I work on commission too, today someone told me, "You only like these on me because they're more expensive." NOT TRUE! I don't know that it's true for everyone, but I always tell people the truth and if something that's 80$ looks better on them than something that is 200$ I will tell them that and that is why we have repeat customers and people who come and tell my manager that I make them feel 'fabulous'.

I straight up laughed at the guy and told him, "trust me, I tell people if they look a mess." ;)

As for me, I got my first two comments at work the other day. I don't think it's very noticeable yet, I think in 30 more lbs it will be. Today I went clothes shopping and gave up real quick. Realizing that yes I've done great so far but I have a really long way to go.

shcirerf
01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I like the attention. I like it when I give people the feeling that, "I hate to see her go, but I like to watch her leave!":carrot:

eclipse
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I really don't like it.

Ciao
01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5286/5270505190_3f6c4a0d5a.jpg

It's a love-hate thing.

I love when people say I look great
and notice how hard I work and have
been inspired.

I HATE when people say they want to
shove a cheeseburger down my throat
to help me gain some weight.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5269916959_e986e6e58e.jpg

Laureedee
01-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I like it, but only to a point. I've never done too well with compliments in the first place, so beyond "you look good!" or something to that effect it bothers me. I do like the attention if they focus on the hard work that went into the weight loss, because I'm proud of myself for that but regular old compliments sort of bother me.

The attention from men goes both ways...I like not being invisible and being considered attractive but part of me is like uh, was I that hideous before? And that makes me want to tell them to look elsewhere.

Bunti
01-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I can't wait to find out!

Thighs Be Gone
01-08-2011, 01:42 AM
At first I LOVED it...THEN it grew really old after a few weeks...I learned quickly not to discuss my weightloss or goals--I come here for that...relish the enjoyment now..soon, you will tire of the conversations too! I know..I never thought I would..and BAM!

Also, don't be surprised when the attention from the guys starts coming...at first it SERIOUSLY made me uneasy..now, I don't mind a bit...it feels good to have it when it's offered appropriately.

Thighs Be Gone
01-08-2011, 01:43 AM
LOL..what I find the most intriguing is getting compliments from stuff I have had ALLL along...handbags and scarves and jewelry and things...no one ever seemed to notice before!

Thighs Be Gone
01-08-2011, 01:47 AM
hey..just read some of the above comments...

PEANUTT..stay your course..you are doing GREAT..one day the entire world will look at you and think (nearly all at once) what the **** happened to HER?? I was down a big chunk before any comments came my way too.

In the several months of loss before the "people are noticing" phase, I actually used NOT GETTING COMMENTS as motivation! I kept saying to myself "they will notice..they WILL notice...they WILL NOTICE!"

They noticed. Hehe. ;)

JustSharing83
01-08-2011, 03:50 AM
I have never been comfortable talking about my weight and I'm not a fan of attention in general. I was always obese, but just didn't talk about it at all, and if I ever did get comments, they were negative. It took quite a while before I started getting any positive comments, and I'm not all that comfortable with those either. I've got to where I don't mind a small comment here or there on how different I look (everyone thinks I'm familiar, but just can't quite remember who I am, lol) or a comment about the weight I've lost. I've even had people ask me for advice. Me! Ha, I never thought that would happen! But it's the people who go on and on in public that bother me. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I just want to run away!

starbrite
01-08-2011, 04:57 AM
I belong to the Love it group ! I have always had a lot of attention at work from colleagues. I work in a multi-cultural environment and people are very open. It took a while, say, 60lbs before people really noticed. But when they did, they truly did, and haven't stopped since. Sometimes I'm a wee bit embarrassed by their comments, but mostly it's really great. The Men I work with are hilarious, they make sillier comments as the weight loss continues :rofl:

carter
01-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't know - 70 pounds gone and if anyone's noticed, only one or two have said anything.

I was just saying in another thread, complimenting people on weight loss is a minefield, so I assume more people have noticed than have commented.

It would be nice to get some attention to see how I'd feel about it, though. ;)

I have told this story before but - when I had lost about 50 pounds, I went out to lunch with my group from work. One of the guys in the group had also lost about 50 pounds and everyone was gushing over him. I felt like chopped liver.

Spooky
01-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I hate it. I've lost weight a number of times and whenever I get to the point that people (especially men) are noticing and paying a lot of attention to me I get flustered and nervous and put it back on.
Hopefully this time I will pay more attention to the emotional aspect of weight loss and be able to push through that discomfort and keep going.

TooManyDimples
01-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Hopefully the next time I get to see my family I'll be down a significant amount and they BETTER notice. :) Well I hope they notice, and I'd love to be a bit of inspiration to them. Most of my family is overweight. I think it would be great if even one of them thinks, "well if Kim can do it, so can I."

I like when people notice. This go round I haven't really had anyone besides my husband able to tell. Of course I haven't lost that much yet and I still have a long way to go. But when friends and acquaintances start noticing, it will be nice as long as I get the positive type of comment and they know how to drop it after it's been discussed for less then ten sentences.

DixC Chix
01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
All things in moderation!! I like it a little at the appropriate times.

If I am in a new size of jeans and new top and I'm loo-king goooood, I appreciate a comment or two. And it doesn't have to be about weight - maybe just that I look good. Or maybe the color of that top looks good on me. I don't like it when it dissolves into a discussion of pounds lost and pounds to go, eating habits or a debate of one plan over another.

FitGirlyGirl
01-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't mind those debates if it is someone who maybe needs the info for their own journey, but I know what you mean.

Arctic Mama
01-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I love it, I love the attention and talking about it. Shamelessly ;)

alyssarof2012
01-08-2011, 02:10 PM
same as you. I Actually like the attention, though in some cases it can be a little embarrassing if my mom is there. She'll be all "Yep, that's my baby. She workouts all the time. She's always eating healthy and stuff. I wish I had that kind of drive." And stuff like that.... I'm not as close to her as she thinks we are, so it's really awkward.

But other than that, when my friends notice its really awesome. It keeps me going.

PaulaM
01-08-2011, 02:23 PM
This is so interesting to hear the different viewpoints. For years I weighed around 135 (I'm 5'5"), I always worked out so I looked even smaller. Then I had a week of not eating cause my boyfriend and I were having problems and got down to 127. I still remember how many people said DON'T EVER REGAIN THE WEIGHT! I remember being so upset, cause I looked good before but apparently thinner was better even at that weight? It truly has affected me all these years, which is over 35 years. I'm married to that boyfriend. I don't know why I'm thinking of this after all this time, but it's definitely why I don't like any mention made of whatever weight I happen to be, fat or thinner. It's so true that men treat you differently when you are fat or thin, they fall all over themselves when you look good and when not many will let a door slam right in your face or let you carry huge boxes etc. Sorry for the rant, I feel like I'm sitting at a therapist's office in here sometimes.

ShannanA
01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I absolutely loved it. My first 125 loss I was living in WA and evryone made a big deal about it. I lost 100 lbs here in MO and most people dont comment. Might be a regional thing. also it seems that there is more fat acceptance here than where I was living.

UAshley
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
I've noticed that some people will say something specifically about my weight, and then others always ask me if I've done something different with my hair.

I really can't tell you how many people ask me if I've gotten a haircut, color or something

gloo
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
No matter what my size, I've always been an extrovert and attention doesn't make me uncomfortable. I'm receiving more comments these days because I finally picked up some clothes recently that actually fit me. Now that I'm down almost two sizes, I think the 40+ lb loss is finally becoming noticeable.

It's funny and interesting to see the reactions people have, and how differently men and women approach the subject. Other women tend to say things like "OMG you look great...how did you you do it?" or "Love that outfit! Where did you get it?", which is the similar to what I do when I see that one of my girlfriends has dropped some weight.

Amongst my group of male friends I'm the only chick, and I think sometimes they forget that I'm even female. The day we came back to work after almost 2 weeks of holiday break I was wearing a cute wrap dress that fits really well. I went to hug one of the guys and he looked at me and gave me a "DAMN, girl!". I was like "huh?" and he smiled and said "you're looking fine!". (Which I made fun of him for, because seriously...who says "you're looking fine" besides dudes trying to pick you up in a bar?) As clumsy and goofy as the compliment was, it was still nice that he noticed (and apparently may have realized I'm actually a girl).

As shallow as it may sound, those comments propel me forward and keep me accountable. And no matter what, it's always nice for me to hear that someone recognizes my efforts.

I like it when I give people the feeling that, "I hate to see her go, but I like to watch her leave!":carrot:

I love this! :)

01-09-2011, 03:21 AM
I loathe the attention. I was thin for most of my life and I have been using the obesity as a buffer from second glances, compliments, and lewd suggestions. I really liked the invisibility feeling, not so much the physically incapable feeling. I will have to come to terms with my discomfort once again as soon as I get down to my goal. I'm a bit nervous about that, to be honest.