General chatter - TV series recommendations?

View Full Version : TV series recommendations?

Linsy
01-07-2011, 07:08 AM
So, me and a good friend of mine love watching movies and TV series together. However, we both have very different taste so it's hard to find a compromise. We recently finished watching the most recent season of True Blood and enjoyed that a lot, it had romance for me and action for him (but he complained that it was a "girl show" the whole time, LOL). We tried to watch Boardwalk Empire but found it boring. He loves Dexter, I love Gossip Girl. We both enjoyed The Walking Dead. Neither of us mind blood, sex or any of that as long as the story is good and engaging. I'd prefer a newer series by the way, one that is still going on or very recently ended. We both hate "scary" stuff like demons and ghosts, and I dislike anything that has to do with surgery or hospitals.

Thank you for any help! I know I sound picky but I'd like some suggestions related to stuff that we both like. :lol:

Nola Celeste
01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
AMC puts out the best series on television, in my estimation. You can't go wrong with "Mad Men," Breaking Bad," or (as you noticed) "The Walking Dead." I missed the first couple of seasons of both MM and BB because I didn't think I was interested in either ad execs of the early '60s or in chem teachers who moonlighted as meth-cooks, but I was wrong on both counts. A great show transcends its genre, as both these dramas do.

If you're also doing the DVD/Blu-Ray thing and looking for stuff you might've missed, I've also got to recommend "The Wire." I know you specified newer shows and it's been off HBO for a while now, but it remains one **** of a good show if you decide to take a chance on it. It's profoundly cynical, so be forewarned--but it's also one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

You might also like "Arrested Development," which died too young a death at the cold, uncaring hands of Fox execs. It's another show that's been gone a few years (sorry, I know I keep throwing older shows out there!), but it was an extremely clever comedy. The writers had a way of bending jokes in on themselves so that a joke in the third season had its roots in the first season. I still re-watch that show on DVD occasionally--and it's still hilarious to me. :D

If you're into comedies, "Modern Family" is an ongoing show that's worth a look. We first decided to take a look at it to see how it got nominated for so many Emmys; well, now we know--it got 'em because it's laugh-out-loud funny. :) I generally dislike a mean-spirited comedy ("Arrested Development" is an exception to that rule, because it's pretty brutal) and I find MF refreshingly kind without ever being saccharine.

ArcticFrogs
01-07-2011, 09:05 AM
While it doesn't quite fit your "recent" criteria, I must recommend "Firefly".
It was canceled because FOX played it out of order, and has such a strong fan following that after the show was canceled, a movie (Serenity) was made. Science fiction with flairs of western themes, with fantastic wit.

I'm not a Buffy fan at all (...the content had potential to be great, but in my humble opinion, it was poorly acted), but Joss Whedon really hit stride with Firefly. Another notable Whedon creation was Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog, which was a 3-parter starring Neil Patrick Harris and, again, Nathan Fillion (plays Mal on Firefly).

Not to seem a Fillion fanatic, but "Castle" is also pretty good, and is currently in season three. It can get a little monotonous in a marathon session, but that doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable as a series.

It's funny, we really don't watch recent series. "Drive" was gearing up to be excellent, but FOX screwed the pooch AGAIN, and the fans suffered as it was canceled after maybe four episodes...and now, I'll never know what happened! *cries*

The Sarah Connor Chronicles are worth watching...

I've heard that "Weeds" is good, and I enjoyed the episode that I watched (though I missed a bit due to it being out of context). Also, if you're into westerns, "Deadwood".

And, though I haven't seen it, I've heard nothing but good about "Mad Men". Might have to check it out.

lazylioness
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Dexter, Weeds

Both available on Netflix for previous seasons

NYGiantsGirl
01-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Boardwalk Empire!!!!!

cherrypie
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
While it doesn't quite fit your "recent" criteria, I must recommend "Firefly".
It was canceled because FOX played it out of order, and has such a strong fan following that after the show was canceled, a movie (Serenity) was made. Science fiction with flairs of western themes, with fantastic wit.

I'm not a Buffy fan at all (...the content had potential to be great, but in my humble opinion, it was poorly acted), but Joss Whedon really hit stride with Firefly. Another notable Whedon creation was Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog, which was a 3-parter starring Neil Patrick Harris and, again, Nathan Fillion (plays Mal on Firefly).

Not to seem a Fillion fanatic, but "Castle" is also pretty good, and is currently in season three. It can get a little monotonous in a marathon session, but that doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable as a series.

:lol: I don't know about you, but I can barely stand to watch anything with a firefly actor in it. Makes me too sad for fireflys loss

Charmsey
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I found it hard to answer this, because I love medical dramas. House, Grey's Anatomy, and Private Practice are three of my favorite TV shows! But if you like any kind of drama, I recommend any of the Law and Order series. The newest - Law & Order: LA is pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

sailyn
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
My boyfriend and I just watched the first 4 seasons of 30 Rock - way better than I thought. I've also watched the full series of 24, Dexter (both w the bf) Friends, Arrested Developmemnt, Greys, The Office.

My bf and sis were both into Rescue Me but I haven't gotten to watch that yet.

I watched the first seasons of Weeds but find it to be too far fetched now or something, lost my interest. We also started Six Feet Under - which was good but moved pretty slow and we never finished the series.

I'm also on season 3 of Sex and the City but idk, I keep watching but don't think i love it.

Smiling_Sara
01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Love love LOVE Dexter

serendipity907
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Supernatural isn't too bad, and I love Desperate Housewives. Ghost Whisperer is also decent.

Mickeypnd
01-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Mad men is seriously the best show on TV. although there will be a long wait, and im still not too sure when it's due back on tv. But its seriously good tv.

Modern family is SO funny, and the writing and acting are wonderful!!
Dexter is an amazing show, as you already know.

Criminal minds is also a very great drama. And lucky its also placed on three different networks. CBS of course as well as A&E and Ion. It drama but heartfelt as well, and you seriously wont want to stop watching, i know i didn't.

and I cant really think of anything else right now. lol.

tntklip
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
My husband and I just starting watching Son's of Anarchy. Just started Season 2 last night. We really do like it. I had to check it out after all the hipe I had been hearing from everyone. Season 3 hasn't started yet, so you would be able to get caught up.

CanadianCutie
01-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't watch much in the way of current tv. Before I came down to visit my fiance my mom and I were watching Grey's Anatomy. We have season 6 and 7 left to go, so no spoilers please. I'm not one that is terribly fond of medical shows, but Grey's and House both transcend the usual medical dramas. I must say I find myself more attached to the Grey's characters than the House characters. I have had to look away a few times (I have a serious aversion to anything eye related).
The man and I are currently watching Babylon 5. I missed seeing it when it was initially on. It's a little cheesy and campy, but it's a lot of fun. We just started season 3 this morning.
I would also recommend Homicide: Life on the Street. Police drama, great acting, good story arc, some crossovers with Law & Order (another great show, especially the older episodes). What I've seen of Criminal Minds I've liked.
I would also suggest The Practice. Lawyer drama.
Dead Like Me, offbeat, funny, and serious at the same time.
The only current thing besides Dexter and House that I watch is Big Bang Theory. I love the nerd humor. Anything else that I watch is vlogs and news shows on youtube.

dcapulet
01-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Weeds up until this season
The Office up until last season
Six Feet Under
Oz
Married with Children
Mad Men <3 <3 <3
Carnivale
LOST

That's all I can think of for now.

Clydegirl
01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Damages is very good. I enjoy Parenthood too.

I also loved Deadwood, Carnivale and The Wire.

Horo
01-07-2011, 09:48 PM
My favorite show right now is Psych. It's a comedy-drama and just finished its 5th season; I highly recommend it. :)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491738/

ArcticFrogs
01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
:lol: I don't know about you, but I can barely stand to watch anything with a firefly actor in it. Makes me too sad for fireflys loss

I actually like seeing them in different things. Especially Nathan Fillion, who has been screwed over so many times...it's nice to see him make it to a Season Two. *grins* I loved Summer Glau in Sarah Connor Chronicles...she did well. So did Shirley Manson (lead singer from Garbage), for that matter.

What's tough is when a series is pitched that looks genuinely entertaining, only to find out that it's on FOX...which is pretty much the cancellation fast-track for anything good. It baffles me, and is a kick in the teeth.

Linsy
01-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Lady--I totally agree. Season one was the best, and season two was good too. Once the Chuck/Blair relationship drama started it got a bit boring. I like them together but they were more fun when they were sneaking around early in their relationship.

Thank you for all of the suggestions everyone. Mad Men looks interesting, and hopefully not boring. We watched a lot of LOST together, but I only made it to season 3 or 4 and he finished it off without me. I got tired of it. I'm going to look into a lot of these and weed out the ones I think we might agree on. If anyone else has more suggestions, please feel free to post them!

jules1216
01-08-2011, 08:18 AM
I have been watching Greys since the beginning, I like How I Met your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Bones, The Closer and Psych.

In Plain Sight, White Collar and Memphis Blues are are a few I am waiting to come back for the new season.

Two that have been cancelled that I loved were Cold Case and Life, Life was hilarious NBC cancelled it after the second season. I wish USA would have picked it up...they cast were definite "characters"

jules1216
01-08-2011, 09:21 AM
http://www.nbc.com/Life/video/categories/season-1/29445/p/2/

You can watch all the episodes of Life here...start with Season 1...you will be hooked...one of the best series that was cancelled, I dont watch new series on NBC anymore.

M0vingon
01-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I second Mad Men, Dexter, and The Big Bang Theory. I'm currently catching up on Fringe- which is like the new X-Files.

Arctic Mama
01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Castle and NCIS are favorites of mine. I'm a scifi fan, and of currently running series Eureka is phenomenal, as is Warehouse 13 :)

ArcticFrogs
01-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Castle and NCIS are favorites of mine. I'm a scifi fan, and of currently running series Eureka is phenomenal, as is Warehouse 13 :)

We caught the first episode of Warehouse 13...and then, kinda forgot it existed. It looked fun, though...will have to get back into it. I hadn't heard of Eureka, but I just looked it up and it looks fairly entertaining as well.

We virtually never watch TV as it's happening or on original air dates...If it isn't something I stumble across online, I probably won't hear of it...which is why we completely miss some things and very rarely see commercials.

emaline29
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I love The Closer too.
Other favs are
Hill Street Blues, ER, Downton Abbey and any Catherine Cookson stories

Clydegirl
01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Justified is very good. They are repeating it at the moment before the second season starts. It's on FX.

Timothy Olyphant is very easy on the eyes.

lizziep
01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
damages
weeds
6 feet under - it's over but it's complete and excellent
the shield- also over but i was excellent
big love
oz- over but really good
the big c
and i highly recommend breaking bad

ADelish
01-10-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm going to go ahead and second so many of these great recommendations

Mad Men
Sons of Anarchy
Modern Family
Weeds
Parenthood

all great shows, and easy to get in to!

dcapulet
01-10-2011, 02:12 AM
damages
weeds
6 feet under - it's over but it's complete and excellent
the shield- also over but i was excellent
big love
oz- over but really good
the big c
and i highly recommend breaking bad

yes yes yes

Clydegirl
01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Downton Abbey has just started on PBS.

It's getting great reviews. I will definetly be watching this one.

NiteNicole
01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
My husband and I tend to catch up on a series after it's over. I like watching everything at once, what can I say! We loved Oz and The Wire.

We just finished Firefly and Serenity and they were GREAT! He's now reading the comics that fill in the blanks for the story but...I draw the line at comic books. I can never really figure out HOW to read them.

We caught up on Leverage and Castle, and those are both great.

We are currently watching Hu$tle, which is a BBC series. It's a lot like Leverage, it's fun. We also watched Strange, which had only six or seven shows. It was weird and kind of hokey, but we liked it. It has one of the actors from Coupling.

When my daughter was a baby and still not sleeping, I started watching Third Watch in 3 am reruns. AWESOME. Action packed and great stories, very engaging characters. LOVED it.

kaebaka
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I love how many times Firefly has come up, as that was definitely the first show I thought of. I'm also terrible in terms of current shows since everything that I watch is on Netflix, but a surprise show that I absolutely loved was Pushing Daisies. It has absolutely fantastic colorful filmography which was completely unexpected, and the story-telling is just really fun and whimsical with also just a hint of morbidity considering the whole 'dead people' thing. It's somehow related to Dead Like Me. They have the same writer or director or something like that, but both shows are great.

shellsbrood
01-11-2011, 10:19 AM
There are older favorites that can probably be netflixed that were really good. Things like Alias and Monk. I'm also another Firefly fan.

A few other noteworthy shows still on the air: Psych (I liked it so much, my youngest son's name is Shawn ;) ), White Collar, Lie to Me, Chuck, Smallville (that has the gossip girl/action/adventure you guys may like)...

I love your taste in shows. :D

lazylioness
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Big Bang Theory, as some people mentioned is FANTASTIC

But the Fiancee and I just finished a Starz Mini Series "Pillars of the Earth" O.M.G.
Fantastic

abluvion
01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Most of the shows I enjoy have been mentioned, so I'll just add in Veronica Mars - it only ran for 3 seasons and they are all up on Netflix instant view. It sounds sort of cheesy - high school girl whose father is a private investigator does PI work herself and battles high school-type drama..... But it is really, really great. My boyfriend is hooked on it too. It gives you a good dose of girl-power when you need it! Veronica kicks butt and takes names :) I forget the lead's name but it's the chick from Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Beach Patrol
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Wow!~ SO MANY good suggestions, and so many good TV shows...

here's some of my favs that me & my spouse enjoy:

Criminal Minds
Spartacus Blood & Sand
Dexter
Weeds
Buffy (7 seasons)
Angel (5 seasons)
Firefly (only 1 season, but good!)
Rome (only 2 seasons, but a good show)
True Blood
Entourage
Bones
Supernatural
Vampire Diaries
Rescue Me
Nip/Tuck
Boston Legal (5 seasons)
Gilmore Girls (7 seasons)
Smallville
The Shield
Alias

...those are just a few! - we like a myriad of shows, as you can see - comedy, drama, suspense, mayhem. And don't knock anything til you try it, regardless of what other people say. I used to make fun of people who watched "Buffy" but home sick with the flu one week and it came on every day, 4x a day... man I got hooked! And now it's my all-time favorite show EVER. :)