Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 01:17 PM   #1  

Smile Plateau Encouragement

I wrote this in my journal last week. It helped me a lot to write it (and got me past the plateau which is officially over as of this morning!) So, I thought it might help someone else who is in a plateau right now.

Angi
------------------------------------

I am here to encourage you.

My plateau is related to bizarre water retention, but a plateau is a plateau. And it sucks.

Here's what we are going to do:

We are going to stay ON PLAN. We are not on our diets for the short-term benefits - so, although it SUCKS to be STUCK even when we're being GOOD, we will persevere. We will rely on the science of the diet - if we will just HANG ON and stay on plan, we WILL lose weight.

We are going to comfort ourselves during this sucky plateau with lots of things OTHER THAN FOOD. We will take luxurious bubble baths. We will buy yummy herbal tea and sip it before bed. We will read guilty-pleasure books that have no brain redeeming quality.

We will write down in our journals the reasons we are doing this - the health reasons; the surface, look-at-me-I'm-cute reasons, the I'm-worth-it reasons.

We will encourage other dieters with our words on the boards and journal comments. We will stop thinking about ourselves and our feeling of failure by telling other strugglers: YOU CAN DO THIS!

We are going to write to others about how this stinking plateau feels. We are going to get our emotions out in words, rather than stuff them down with food.

We CAN do this and we are going to hang on even though the scales don't move!

We ARE worth it!
-------------------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:11 PM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you, Angi!!! This is awesome!
Old 11-21-2002, 05:42 PM   #3  
Catwoman

Great post Angi,

Im in a plateau right now and it really sux. I feel so dissapointed and like throwing in the towel, my motivation level is at it's lowest since I started 3 months ago. Reading you post has really helped, Im not giving in or up and I know we can do this! Thanks

Kitty
Old 11-21-2002, 05:54 PM   #4  

Kitty,

Hang ON girl! Just think of staying on plan as an investment - you can't see the pay-off yet but it WILL come.

Angi
Old 11-25-2002, 01:14 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

What a great post!! It can be applie to this journey in general, not just a plateau.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:59 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

Default oh thank you, angi!!!

how i needed that!!!!! after spectacular weight losses, my body seems to be keeping steady, and adjusting. i'm losing inches, and a pound here and there, but i've been going for weeks on end without a loss.

and i've even been tempted to not do what i'm supposed to do. and have slipped from time to time.

so, for today, i've hit my protein, water, and exercise goals, but i did indeed eat 2 cookies and a cracker. in the greater scheme of things, not bad at all, but tomorrow will be better.

thank you thank you thank you thank you.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:21 PM   #7  

My body is so weird, I'm getting frustrated again. But, I haven't been following plan strictly, so I can't say it doesn't work. I've just got to toe the line better.

And I thought my plateau was over. I am able to wear my wedding ring again - the water weight is gone - but the scales aren't moving much more than that. Ack! This is such a roller coaster.

Here I go to get a cup of herbal tea before bed - I highly recommend "sleepy time tea" if you haven't tried it.

Angi
Closed Thread