100 lb. Club - For those of you who experience weight bouncing: Plz remain calm!

lottie63
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I know I see a lot here people who say they increased their exercise, or started exercising, why are they gaining?

Someone a long time ago had posted a link that I no longer have, but it was about exercise induced water retention.

When I first started exercising a couple months ago, I had a pretty consistent patter of loss: I"d lose on my weigh day (I weight every day but have a day I consider weigh day) and bounce all around during the week.

Anyhow, if I exercise, my weight will bounce up anywhere from 2-4 lbs overnight. Now, we all know if I'm eating On Plan that that isn't actual fat. It's pretty much a physical impossibility.

Anyhow, this thing I had read that someone posted here was about glycogen and water weight post exercising. Any time you add/increase exercise, your muscles need to heal, and how they heal themselves is packing themselves in glycogen.

1 lb of glycogen is generally packed in anywhere from 1-3 lbs of water.

I stopped exercising for a few weeks because of a pain flare. My losses were steady downward when I wasn't exercising.

I started again last night and of course I woke up to find that predictable almost 4 lb gain.

I'm not upset about this anymore, it happens every time. I exercise, I gain, it bounces around all week and then on weigh day I"m generally down below where I started.

Try not to freak out people. It's normal. ;)

joyfulloser
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
YES, I've experienced this...almost freaked until I read about it somewhere too!;) BTW, the added glycogen storage (water weight) should go away after 2-3 days.:)

Also, if you want to make sure it's glycogen stores from exercise, make sure to monitor your sodium...it should be below 2000mgs. You'll experience waaaayyyy less weight fluctuations on a diet LOW in sodium (under 1500mg)

Just wanted to add this.:)

aml0614
01-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Thank you so much for this post! It could not have come at a better time. After 11 weeks of being on plan with WW, I lost 32.4 pounds. I started exercising this week and I gained 1.4 back! ugh! I was really upset so I weighed again the next morning instead of waiting for my weekly weigh day and 1.3 of it was gone. Your post helps my feelings a lot!

lottie63
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Good, I"m glad!

Keep up the exercise! Also congrats on the weight lost! :)

Shytowngal
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the post! When, do you estimate, the bouncing around stops? Does a sudden whoosh come along, and then you consistently lose?

lottie63
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Ha, no.

I exercised for about a month before I had to stop.

I bounced every time I would not exercise for a few days and then start again, or I'd bounce every time I increased intensity.

Honestly it never used to help me but this time around weighing daily has been great because I'm so numb to the bounces. (For one, I'm 100% On Plan so logic prevails!) ha.

annah788
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for sharing!

kaplods
01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't think there is an answer that's true for everyone. For me, no matter what changes I make, my "bouncing" doesn't stop. Some of it is predictable (TOM always yields about an 8 to 10 lbs gain of water weight gain). If I switch from low-carb to high carb, I gain about 3 to 5 lbs (which disappears within a day or two of switching back). Exercising more than usual (whatever my usual is) tends to add up to 2 to 3 lb (which I also suspect is mostly water, just by how fast it comes on, and how fast it disappears once I get used to the new level of exercise).

High sodium foods also result in temporary weight gain. I don't eat a lot of high sodium foods, but I do have a weakness for asian food. Rather than avoiding it, I accept the temporary weight gain and drink extra water. As long as I track the calories, the day or too of extra water weight isn't a big deal to me.

Eating a lot of bulky watery food (fruits and vegetables), also results in temporary weight gain (just from the weight of the food as it's digesting). Also not something I worry about.

By keeping and reviewing my food journal, I've learned what to expect, and I'm fine as long as I don't panic and think any weight gain justifies "giving up" or indulging in a big binge so I can "start fresh," at some point in the future.

The only way to understand how your body reacts, is by watching it and documenting it (because impressions can be misleading).

Above all it's important to realize that it takes months to see true trends and not just coincidences.

Shytowngal
01-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Wait, so you haven't lost any weight at all during exercise periods? You only lost when you stopped exercising? Sorry if I'm confused, but now I'm trying to figure out if I should wait until goal to exercise.

cherrypie
01-06-2011, 06:38 PM
just remember. Sore muscles are swollen muscles.

lottie63
01-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Wait, so you haven't lost any weight at all during exercise periods? You only lost when you stopped exercising? Sorry if I'm confused, but now I'm trying to figure out if I should wait until goal to exercise.

Nonono.

DO NOT WAIT!

ha. Not what I was saying.

It will bounce up but it'll go back down when I get used to the current level of exercise after a couple days and I lose. Then when I increase my intensity it'll bounce up and down again.

I have lost 28 lbs since oct 19th and I exercised most of that time.

lottie63
01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't think there is an answer that's true for everyone. For me, no matter what changes I make, my "bouncing" doesn't stop. Some of it is predictable (TOM always yields about an 8 to 10 lbs gain of water weight gain). If I switch from low-carb to high carb, I gain about 3 to 5 lbs (which disappears within a day or two of switching back). Exercising more than usual (whatever my usual is) tends to add up to 2 to 3 lb (which I also suspect is mostly water, just by how fast it comes on, and how fast it disappears once I get used to the new level of exercise).

High sodium foods also result in temporary weight gain. I don't eat a lot of high sodium foods, but I do have a weakness for asian food. Rather than avoiding it, I accept the temporary weight gain and drink extra water. As long as I track the calories, the day or too of extra water weight isn't a big deal to me.

Eating a lot of bulky watery food (fruits and vegetables), also results in temporary weight gain (just from the weight of the food as it's digesting). Also not something I worry about.

By keeping and reviewing my food journal, I've learned what to expect, and I'm fine as long as I don't panic and think any weight gain justifies "giving up" or indulging in a big binge so I can "start fresh," at some point in the future.

The only way to understand how your body reacts, is by watching it and documenting it (because impressions can be misleading).

Above all it's important to realize that it takes months to see true trends and not just coincidences.

LOL. I"m starting to get convinced that you follow me around in threads just to disagree with me. :P

Anyhow, I was giving info that is generally accepted to be true about exercise. Not about salt, or TOM, or anything else that I did not mention.

I also used the word "I" many times in my post, relating MY experience and nowhere did I say that it applies to every single person in every single scenario and that NO OTHER THING can cause the scale to bounce.

You make me sweat sometimes. ha.

newbieblogger3
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Lottie and Kaplods -just so you know - I appreciate BOTH of your posts -always informative and helpful and full of reinforcement which I sometimes REALLY need -Thanks - L.

Shytowngal
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Whew! Thanks for the clarification. Off to the gym!

twinmommaplusone
01-06-2011, 10:19 PM
totally agree, Last Saturday I ran for almost 2 hours non-stop for an 11 mile run, the next day I was up 4 pounds, still up those 3.....still running and sticking to my routine and I'm patiently waiting, lmao!

Stick with it people it will all balance itself out and what I love is when I finally do drop those stubborn post Big exercise pounds I go well beyond my last low!

184.5 all the way to 188.5 in one night, I know when it all balances itself out I'll probably be at 182-183~!

twinmommaplusone
01-06-2011, 10:22 PM
LOL. I"m starting to get convinced that you follow me around in threads just to disagree with me. :P

Anyhow, I was giving info that is generally accepted to be true about exercise. Not about salt, or TOM, or anything else that I did not mention.

I also used the word "I" many times in my post, relating MY experience and nowhere did I say that it applies to every single person in every single scenario and that NO OTHER THING can cause the scale to bounce.

Rock on Lottie, there is 'some' people like that around here, huh! Thats ok, I totally get what you are saying. :D
To anyone interested there is a small informative thread about water retention and weight flux'ing in the Exercise portion of this website.

kaplods
01-07-2011, 04:04 AM

I don't know how often I've disagreed with you in the past, but I can tell you that at least this time you got it backwards from the way it was intended (I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was AGREEING with you).

It wasn't your post I was respoding to, it was shytowngal's. Her post seemed a counterpoint to yours, so in my mind, I was agreeing/suppoprting/defending the statements in your post (not that I thought shytowngal was disagreeing or attacking).

I was agreeing with your post because I identified with what you said. I was agreeing with you that bouncing isn't something to be overly concerned about

I hope I don't come across as generally disagreeable. Usually in most of my posts I don't even see myself as disagreeing with anyone posting (unless the person is saying that something is true for everyone).

What I think sometimes people mistake for disagreement, is my sharing an experience that is different than the one expressed. If we all thought there was only one way to lose weight, I guess that would be disagreement, but that's not how I see it.

I believe people when they describe their personal truths, and when I share different truths I'm not saying anyone's wrong - I think we're all right. We can only share our own truths. If there was only one thing I could communicate, it would be that everyone's weight loss journey is unique.

I think it's important for us all to hear all of the different experiences, so we don't feel like freaks if our experience is different. Or for those of us still trying to find what works, we see all of the things (all of the different things) that have worked for other people, so we can try some of them (and yet not get discouraged or afraid to try other things, if something doesn't work for us).

Eliana
01-07-2011, 09:27 AM

I know this was answered, but I wanted to chime in! ;)

Exercise does indeed make the scale go wonky. You may not see anything close to a steady loss if you dieting and exercising. I think losses are more steady with diet alone. But, that's not to negate exercise, particularly strength training, at all! I am so happy with my body and well before goal because of all the exercise I have been putting in. I am still overweight according to the scale, but I am wearing a size 6. I'm very happy with that!

lottie63
01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't know how often I've disagreed with you in the past, but I can tell you that at least this time you got it backwards from the way it was intended (I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was AGREEING with you).

It wasn't your post I was respoding to, it was shytowngal's. Her post seemed a counterpoint to yours, so in my mind, I was agreeing/suppoprting/defending the statements in your post (not that I thought shytowngal was disagreeing or attacking).

I was agreeing with your post because I identified with what you said. I was agreeing with you that bouncing isn't something to be overly concerned about

I hope I don't come across as generally disagreeable. Usually in most of my posts I don't even see myself as disagreeing with anyone posting (unless the person is saying that something is true for everyone).

What I think sometimes people mistake for disagreement, is my sharing an experience that is different than the one expressed. If we all thought there was only one way to lose weight, I guess that would be disagreement, but that's not how I see it.

I believe people when they describe their personal truths, and when I share different truths I'm not saying anyone's wrong - I think we're all right. We can only share our own truths. If there was only one thing I could communicate, it would be that everyone's weight loss journey is unique.

I think it's important for us all to hear all of the different experiences, so we don't feel like freaks if our experience is different. Or for those of us still trying to find what works, we see all of the things (all of the different things) that have worked for other people, so we can try some of them (and yet not get discouraged or afraid to try other things, if something doesn't work for us).

Confusion abounds, cuz before you posted shytown had only made one post asking when the bouncing stopped....

Anyhow, it's fine, I'm not saying people don't have different experiences, and it's not just you it seems like lately every time I say something someone is like "It's not like that for everyone" which honestly I feel like goes without saying and I never claim anything is the same way for every single person. I'm not sure how I can word things better though cuz i am already sure to use 'I' statements.

kaplods
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
When you share an experience, it inspires others to share their experiences. It's as simple as that. Some of those experiences are going to be different than yours (it doesn't mean they're disagreeing with you), and some of those experiences are going to be similar (that doesn't even mean they're agreeing with you), and some are going to seem unrelated entirely (and you'll think "did they even read the topic of the thread?") I agree that a completely unrelated post seems odd, but it does sometimes happen. None of it necessarily reflects on you or your experiences, even though you started the thread. You start a conversation, but other people run with it too, and it often becomes several simultaneous conversations.

Confusion abounds, cuz before you posted shytown had only made one post asking when the bouncing stopped....

Yep, and the main point of my post was that for me the bouncing has never stopped. That was the full and only point to my post.

I was just saying (if I had used your words), "Please remain calm," even if it never stops. Some people don't lose steadily no matter what they do (and I wish that went without saying, but it doesn't. It comes up here almost on a daily basis, people concerned with the fact that they're not losing steadily and rapidly.

That's it. No disagreement with you at all. Not even any disagreement with Shytowngal or anyone else, I was just trying to add to the discussion by sharing my experience (not putting words into your mouth or anyone else's as to how it is like for you or them).

When it comes to weight loss, nothing goes without saying. There are unfortunately a lot of people who do think weight loss is one-size-fits all, because it's what they've been taught. But that's really not the point when someone shares theire experiences. They're just trying to add to the discussion of how things can be. You could argue just as easily that it's pointless to agree with anyone, that if they say "hey that happens to me too," it doesn't add anything to the discussion because it also "goes without saying" that some people's experiences are the same.

I think all of the comments, the "me too's" and the "not me's" are extremely and equally important to the discussions. I think most people do want to hear both sides of the story (or more truthfully all ten thousand different stories).

I'm not sure how I can word things better though cuz i am already sure to use 'I' statements.

I think you worded things just fine, but I think I did too (though I'm a bit biased on that one). I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong (and indeed we're doing everything right) by talking about how we share experiences, and how our experiences differ. I think it all adds to the discussion.

I think we can't afford "it goes without saying" here. The stakes are too high. Better to say what doesn't need to be said, than to keep quiet when saying something might help someone who doesn't know.

lottie63
01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
No, I understand that people add their experiences, it just came across weird I guess? I dunno. anyhow, obviously sometimes it's difficult through reading text to see what people mean. you kind of lose that round' the coffee table ability to hear inflection and such.

Also I have had a problem lately of assuming that people don't want to hear what I have to say and so I might feel attacked when I'm not. (I have no idea why, and it's a recent weird development.) oh well, it'll give me something to talk about in therapy. :P

graycyn
01-07-2011, 10:11 PM
The exercise/water retention thing ALWAYS happens to me. It's one reason that my rest day is Sunday and my weigh-in is Monday. I usually keep exercise mild on Saturdays. I need a day or so even after mild exercise to shed the water.

So, Thursday AM, weight 227.4. One mile slow walk on Thursday and today's weight bounced up to 228.6. Strength training bumps my bounce even more!

Nola Celeste
01-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I've actually started to see that little "bounce" of weight gain the day after my workout as a sign that I did a thorough job with my exercise. It's the first time in my life I can remember thinking, "Yay, up a pound!" :D

Of course, I also celebrate losing a pound--so hey, every day I step on the scale now is a good day. Whee!

Laureedee
01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for posting this. I've been at this long enough that I know not to freak, and I really try not to, but my weight has been bouncing around well over 4lbs over the last week, up down up down and the more on plan I am, the higher it's gone...it's driving me nuts! But yes *breathe* it will even out and go down, especially since I'm consistently exercising.

Loving Me
01-08-2011, 04:56 AM
I still can never get used to this and always wonder if it is the exercise really or not.
Tue, Wed and Thur this week I did new workouts, and actually dropped 1.5lbs from Thur to Fri. I had been a little sore after Tuesday's workout but that was it. Then I had a PT session yesterday with my trainer which was HARD. This morning I am SO sore in my arms and thighs and I'm back up 0.5lbs. I was POP yesterday, so what does it mean, is it the exercise? Because if so then why didn't I go up yesterday instead of down?
My body just seems to completely have a mind of it's own, I don't gain much at TOM but mid cycle I bounce allover the place. For most of this journey I had steady losses each week, but this past 3 months or so it's really frustrating as I bounce, bounce, bounce, then have a whoosh, then bounce, whoosh, bounce bounce, whoosh, seems there's no pattern to it anymore and it's driving me mad :lol:

carter
01-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Bouncing is a way of life for me. I weigh daily so that I can see the patterns and learn to not be discouraged by them.

At a very general view I tend to lose in whooshes that come every 2-3 weeks. When the whoosh comes I will drop 3-4 pounds over the space of a few days. The whoosh is always followed by a bounce back of 1-2 pounds. After that I'll sit tight, or go up and down by one pound, for anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, depending upon other factors like exercise, hormones, sleep, drinking, and on and on.

It's the long-term trend that matters, not the daily result. Am I roughly 5 pounds smaller today than I was a month ago? Then I'm doing fine.

lottie63
01-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I still can never get used to this and always wonder if it is the exercise really or not.
Tue, Wed and Thur this week I did new workouts, and actually dropped 1.5lbs from Thur to Fri. I had been a little sore after Tuesday's workout but that was it. Then I had a PT session yesterday with my trainer which was HARD. This morning I am SO sore in my arms and thighs and I'm back up 0.5lbs. I was POP yesterday, so what does it mean, is it the exercise? Because if so then why didn't I go up yesterday instead of down?
My body just seems to completely have a mind of it's own, I don't gain much at TOM but mid cycle I bounce allover the place. For most of this journey I had steady losses each week, but this past 3 months or so it's really frustrating as I bounce, bounce, bounce, then have a whoosh, then bounce, whoosh, bounce bounce, whoosh, seems there's no pattern to it anymore and it's driving me mad :lol:

I dunno, I bounce sometimes for no real reason I can see, but I also notice that if I have a bounce related to exercise it's generally only if I've pushed. Like the first few days of exercise if I have'nt been, and then I get used to that level, then I up the intensity and have another boucne each time it's difficult. the harder the workout for me, the bigger the bounce it seems.

Shytowngal
01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Eliana - Thanks for putting it in perspective. I would LOVE to be a size six. I need to start working out hard and not place so much emphasis on the number on the scale and more to sizes. I'm a size 10 right now, a six is my goal!

Also, I'm not sure how it is possible for my question to be a counterpoint... I was asking serious questions as this post intrigued me, and I have been experiencing a bit of this.

kaplods
01-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Eliana - Thanks for putting it in perspective. I would LOVE to be a size six. I need to start working out hard and not place so much emphasis on the number on the scale and more to sizes. I'm a size 10 right now, a six is my goal!

Also, I'm not sure how it is possible for my question to be a counterpoint... I was asking serious questions as this post intrigued me, and I have been experiencing a bit of this.

Counterpoint was a poor choice of words. Your question raised an issue I was responding to. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, I was just relaying my experiences on the general topic of "bouncing".

The counterpoints were more in my head from years and years of previous posts on the topic of non-linear weight loss. "Bouncing" is still, so often interpreted as a sign of error. There's still a persistent expectation that weight loss will be linear if you're doing it right.

All the time, we see threads advising tricks and tips to achieve linear weight loss. Or people worried about short-term consequences that are inconsequential or even beneficial in the long run. Some are benign, like avoiding restaurant and other high-sodium foods or drinking extra water with high-sodium foods, but you also still see people arguing for tactics that are counterproductive in the long run - arguing against certain types of exercise because of the possibility of small gains. Or people saying they avoid fruits and vegetables because they see a gain on the scale the next day (from the weight of the fruits and vegetables in their gut)...

I wasn't disagreeing with anyone in this thread, I was just stressing the importance of the long-range over the short-term effects.

At it's extreme (and sadly there are people at the extremes) in the name of linear weight loss I could avoid eating low-calorie, high-bulk vegetables or even drinking water because they causes short-term gains on the scale (at least until I have to use the bathroom).

kaplods
01-08-2011, 07:58 PM
No, I understand that people add their experiences, it just came across weird I guess? I dunno. anyhow, obviously sometimes it's difficult through reading text to see what people mean. you kind of lose that round' the coffee table ability to hear inflection and such.

Also I have had a problem lately of assuming that people don't want to hear what I have to say and so I might feel attacked when I'm not. (I have no idea why, and it's a recent weird development.) oh well, it'll give me something to talk about in therapy. :P

I definitely DO want to hear what you have to say. And I think you say it well. Don't be afraid to share, even if your opinion turns out to be unusual or unpopular, it still may be exactly what someone needs to hear (it's why I thing debates are actually a good thing here. Even opinions that may be "wrong" for most people, even maybe for almost everyone, they still might be perfectly right for at least a few people). Even if only 1 in 1000 people agree with you, that would still (in the USA) mean 300,000 people.

I desperately hate that weight loss "in the real world" is a topic that is so taboo that disagreement is so horrible. There are other things in life we can disagree on without hurting anyone. I mean look at movies. You can openly ridicule someone for their taste in movies, and still be friends every moment of the argument, yet even minor disagreements on weight loss, politics, religion, child rearing, or finances can become unforgiveable.

I love that this site is one of the safest places to disagree. Because it's so important, mostly people here truly do respect different opinions, not that it stops all of us from going on and on about our own or from trying to persuade people to our opinion. The people who aren't respectful usually end up leaving or being asked by the moderators to do so.

Ok I'm rambling (I have too may words in my head, have to get them out or I'd go crazy - oops too late).

twinmommaplusone
01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
ONLY ONE person that disagreed with this post. Time to block this chick she is real annoying with nothing to do than to be sure she gives her 'point' of view, because after all we are an open forum and here to offer "opinions" She has been doing this her whole life, she has alot of the answers.
Hope you sense the sarcasm, it's thick!

twinmommaplusone
01-08-2011, 09:39 PM

Mid-Cycle could be ovulation, I typically have a small difficulty with hormone changes about this time, stick with it it will all balance itself out :hug:

lottie63
01-08-2011, 10:31 PM
ONLY ONE person that disagreed with this post. Time to block this chick she is real annoying with nothing to do than to be sure she gives her 'point' of view, because after all we are an open forum and here to offer "opinions" She has been doing this her whole life, she has alot of the answers.
Hope you sense the sarcasm, it's thick!

ummmm.

???

I might need a nap.