Alternachicks - Tattoo shrinkage or deformity

View Full Version : Tattoo shrinkage or deformity

Catcuffling
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
hi guys, has anyone experienced their tattoo getting squished or stretched? i have a chest tattoo and i'm worried it might get all wonky, not to worried about the ones on my back as they've been there through all the ups and downs and have stayed the same.

Aclai4067
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I have a small one on my upper chest/shoulder area. So far it looks the same.

sal27253
01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
So, I have tattoos on my foot and back expressly becasue I felt those areas wouldn't ever be in danger of stretching out. My mom has a little key in a heart on her hip and it's definitely weird looking after a few weight changes and 3 kids. I suppose that's just part of the process. Just like stretch marks and loose skin....

KayNicole
01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
My sister had one on her hip that looked all weird after she gained a bunch of weight. Even once she lost it again it retained a huge stretch mark right down the middle of it and it isn't exactly shaped like a rose anymore. I have a friend who has one on her chest. It has been about 10 years and her is just ever so slightly stretching out. If she has the right bra on you can't even tell. lol

Actually I have another friend who has one dead center in her chest over her heart. She has had it for less time... say 7 years and hers is more stretched and faded than the friend with one on her actual boob.

Catcuffling
01-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I guess i'll just have to wait and see lol

RienQueNny
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
It was my biggest fear for the longest time! So I asked around and I was told by many tattooists that tattoos will sometimes get deformed when you gain weight, cuz the design gets stretched out and not necessarily in the right angles and places, but when you lose weight as long as you do it slowly and gradually your skin should adapt and so should your tattoos. At my heaviest I was 221 pounds, I'm now around 175 and I have a big chest piece, and tattoos on my thighs, and they look perfectly fine now with 50 pounds less. Just a big... smaller I guess? :P

dissonance
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I worry about this, but I also went through an INSANE rapid weight gain (were talking 90ish in less then 8 months). I somehow *knocks on wood* don't have many/very visible stretch marks (and i pray this gives me hope to not wind up w/loose skin badly/at all...i know they're different things but i figure they both have to do w/elasticity?) and i have a pretty large tat down the left side of my torso and another round my left hip. I can tell i've stretched the one of the hip, but its not bad. I hope if i lose all the weight it will improve, but i figured its not something touch up work won't be able to help, they're both unfinished anyhow. I'm just waiting to get down to goal and wait it out.
But i mean i gained the most in my stomach, so the one on my torso is what i feel could have been destroyed. The first time i lost about half of what i gained, a few friends said they couldn't tell any difference in the tattoo, idk what this time will tell. I have hope! And the higher on your chest, that might come into play? A few of my friends that have chest pieces that are older, most are in good shape.

CollegeChickMN
01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
This is something I am terrified about! Right now, I have a large tattoo on my forearm, and one on the other wrist, I am wanting to get more, because I absolutely love body art, but I am terrified that I will lose the weight I want to, and they will be deformed looking.

OhMyDogs
01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
It was my biggest fear for the longest time! So I asked around and I was told by many tattooists that tattoos will sometimes get deformed when you gain weight, cuz the design gets stretched out and not necessarily in the right angles and places, but when you lose weight as long as you do it slowly and gradually your skin should adapt and so should your tattoos. At my heaviest I was 221 pounds, I'm now around 175 and I have a big chest piece, and tattoos on my thighs, and they look perfectly fine now with 50 pounds less. Just a big... smaller I guess? :P

This is what my tattoo guy said too when I asked him.

wikidsnyper
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
i have a tattoo on my left arm and i am scared that it will get deformed when i lose weight. i guess i will have to see what happens when i get there, although i am hoping it doesn't look bad, since it is a memorial tat of my dad. the tattoo artist really did a wonderful job in designing and applying it on me. it would be a shame if such artwork went to waste.

Catcuffling
01-18-2011, 05:25 PM
ive been looking at my uncles tattoos, he has lost 40kgs (around 80lbs i think) and his tattoos look just the same, so that made me feel a bit better lol

i do asume tattoos on the tummy, inner thighs, and hips or underarm will change though.. but i think where mine are they might be okay :)

auroratw
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
I only have one tattoo, on my outer thigh, and through rapid weight gain, slow weight loss, and rapid weight loss it has been fine. It does currently look like it has 'moved' over a bit from where I originally placed it. I talked to the artist before, and he said may people had the concerns I did. He recomended drinking water constantly through weight loss and to use skin softners to keep it extra hydrated. True, I am only 20 so I haven't had to deal with the dreaded sagging of skin YET, but I would think as long as you stay hydrated and moisturize you should be pretty fine.

TattooTiffy
03-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Been worried about that too but feel much better knowing that other ladies haven't had problems with ones on their thighs cause that's where my fab and most elaborate tats are.

mochi74
04-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Glad someone asked this question! I have some FLABBY arms with some nice work I REALLY don't want touched up ;)

Riestrella
04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I heard somewhere that tattoos and weight gain can be considered as a balloon - think of the tattoo as a pattern on a balloon and the balloon is you. If you blow up a balloon then the pattern will still be seen, but it might seem a little "stretched", but if you deflate the balloon then it returns to normal. Hope that makes sense!

Jenocyde
05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
this is something i'm terrified about. I have 2 red bows on the backs of my legs that i fear are going to look horrid once the weight comes off of my legs. my lower back tattoos (there are three....) are going to look weird too, since 2 of the tattoos are words. yikesss. at least my big giant one is on my calf, and my calves are actually pretty muscular, and the ones on my collar bones probably won't get weirded out.

Mrs Meee
05-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I also worry about this, I have a tattoo on my upper left arm, one on my inner right forearm and one on my chest, I do hope they don't end up looking like the print on a deflated balloon :S Actually, thinking about it I'll ask my buddy, he had a gastric bypass and lost 15 stones (210lbs) I'll ask him if his is OK and let you know :)

dragonlady1978
05-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I have 4 tattoos - between my shoulders, bicep, ankle, and breast.

I have lost and gained ALOT of weight in my adult life, and had 3 kids. The one on my boob is the only one that has changed.

I got it when I was 17. It's a cluster of 3 roses, and it's my smallest one...only about the size of a silver dollar. When I got it is had a circular shape. I am 32 years old now, and it is more like an oval now lol. It looks like it is sliding down my boob at an angle or something. It used to be straight like this - now it's more like \

When I have on a good bra you can't really tell, but the girls just aren't what they used to be :(

I can't say for sure whether it's just the weight loss and gain, because I've also been pregnant and breastfed several times since then.

If I had to bet on it I'd say that in most areas of your body it won't have that much of an effect, but some parts are just prone to sagging as we age, weight aside. Skin sag is more the issue than weight itself, because it permanently distorts the shape. Gravity is the devil :(

If you have huge boobs like me, getting a tattoo there just isn't a good idea. It is the only one I regret.

sacal96
05-20-2011, 01:02 PM
I have been sooo worried about this too! I have one on my lower back that I was so afraid would look crazy if I lost weight.. Good to know that it shouldn't change! :]]

Catcuffling
05-23-2011, 06:30 AM
I also worry about this, I have a tattoo on my upper left arm, one on my inner right forearm and one on my chest, I do hope they don't end up looking like the print on a deflated balloon :S Actually, thinking about it I'll ask my buddy, he had a gastric bypass and lost 15 stones (210lbs) I'll ask him if his is OK and let you know :)

hi what did his look like?

i'm still scared to get any new tattoos.. i guess i can wait..

miss ann thrope
05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
I've so far resisted getting any because of this, I don't know what it'd look like if I got it while big, and then lost weight. I have a few planned, and it's so hard not to go for it, but I'm going to wait until I am at least half way there. From reading this it seems like it just depends where they are.

Jen, the bows sound really cute!

lagorditadecolorado
06-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Glad others are asking this as well. I'm not worried about the ones I currently have because I've purposefully gotten them on areas that won't really shrink or expand, I have 3(ish lol) one on the inside of my wrist, one on the inside of my forearm by my elbow and all my toes done. I really want to have a chest piece (collar bone area really) that goes down into basically half sleeves. As much as I want them now I'm worried that they'll become distorted as I lose weight. I'm also considering the possibility of a breast lift after I lose all the weight, and wonder how that would effect them. *sigh* guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens!

GuardDawg
06-21-2011, 05:50 AM
i have 8. i tried to stay on areas that would stay relativly the same if i lost weight. both wrist, and the area just under the elbow pit (elbow down to wrist) one on small of back and one on shoulders/blades (that badly needs to be touched up so not too worries about it) one on my massive right calf (thanks for the football player legs mom) and one on my right flub which i am hoping that if i do the weight loss correctly will shrink evenly. i am planing to get a chest piece soon but it will be direct.y on my sternum (ouuuuch) and im hoiping the weight change shouldnt affect it that much. i amd a well endowed lady (38/40 DDD) and i think the only morphing should be if i have on a super bra. i plan on having full to half sleeves within the next few years. i would also like to have a few on the front pelvic region but that ares is currently all flubby.

calmeida5018
07-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi,

I'm new here (have intro post) and have a large back piece and a half and full sleeve. I was afraid of getting the arm work because of it stretching but so far they look good. My arms are still fat but the tats look fine. I do have some "wingy" areas on upper arms that I'm hoping to tone in order to add more ink (my tats only cover the front of my arms.

I have not attempted any chest or trunk and leg tattoos (other than ankle) because I feel those are the places that are at greatest risk for change with weight loss and/or gain.

Hope to lose another 45 lbs with exercising and have more tattoo plans, so we'll see what happens. : )

Thanks for the thread and hope to get to know you guys!