Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #1  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup

Made this last night, it is a variation of one I had from Bon Appetite. Everything in my world of cooking is "ish" so, sorry that the times and measurements are not exact. I cook by taste and smell.

Serves 6 (plus one lunch serving)

2 heads Cauliflower
4 heads garlic
6-8 cups Chicken Broth (depending on how thick you like your soup, I make my own, but Better than Bouillon works great too, this also works fantastic with vegetable stock for our vegetarians)
4 Shallots
2 Onions
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Cut up Cauliflower into bite sized pieces, toss with Olive Oil, salt and pepper
Cut the tops off of the Garlic and put each head on a square of Aluminmum Foil. Drizzle with Olive Oil, salt and and pepper.
Wrap up each Head of Garlic in the foil.

Roast both Cauliflower and Garlic at 350 for about an hour-ish (until the garlic is soft and the cauliflower is staring to brown)

Meanwhile, slice the onions and shallots and caramelize them in a bit of olive oil and start heating up the chicken (or vegetable) stock. Once the onions and shallots are brown, add a cup of the warm stock to the pan to deglaze and get all the yummy brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour the whole thing into the remaining stock.

Once the Cauliflower and garlic is done add the Cauliflower to the stock and onion mixture (as a side note, the stock and onions makes for a FANTASTIC version of french onion soup), then squeeze out the garlic cloves into the pot. Bring to a full boil and let it simmer for about 20 minutes-ish, until the cauliflower is fork tender.

Take an immersion blender (or if you do not have one remove about half the soup) and blend it up, adding it back to the pot.

Let cool slightly and enjoy.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote