South Beach Diet - A major in SBD with a minor in Points Plus - for anyone doing, or interested in doing

Mmckellen
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey all,
One year ago, I started SBD and completed a pretty clean Phase 1, then got a little lost as I tried to transition beyond that. I spent the rest of the year on/off plan. I'm now back on day 3 of a Phase 1 and I'm also using the new WW Points Plus tracking program to track portions. I'm not very good at portion control in general; and tend to eat higher fat foods. I'm hoping Points Plus can give me an education in calories/portions/balancing my food. I'm planning to transition through all the phases of SB eating only on plan foods, just using PP to get a sense of how much to eat to lose weight.

My friend picked up a packet for me at her meeting, and we calculated I should be on 29 points with 46 extra points for the week. Anyone else doing this? Want to share tips/questions?

ANewMe30
01-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm kind of doing it the other way around.. Doing Points Plus but wanting to really focus on doing things low-carb.. I'm a HUGE carb addict and I need to start eating more protein.

I'd love to share ideas with you. :)

I'm specifically looking for quick & easy breakfast tips. Something I can make ahead of time and eat quickly.. I have 2 young kids and I don't always have a lot of time in the morning. I'm burnt out on oatmeal, cereal, etc.

I also would love ideas for lunches.

I'm pretty open to most foods but don't eat any fish or seafood..

Mmckellen
01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Today for breakfast I had a cup of plain low fat kefir (like a yogurt drink), 1/2 cup edamame, and a glass of v8 for 7 points. It kept me going until about 11am. For lunch I usually have a meat and some veggies - for instance you could have a salad with grilled chicken for just the points of the chicken and the dressing, also could add chick peas too. I don't know if you're open to it, but trying to do the two weeks on Phase 1 of South Beach will really cleanse your body of the bad carbs and your cravings will go way, way down. Then you can reintroduce them into your diet.

ANewMe30
01-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Sounds good!

I'm not totally familiar with SBD, so can you give me a low-down of what those 2 weeks would entail??

Mmckellen
01-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Everyone is going to tell you to buy the book, which is a good idea or you can check it out from the library. If you have issues with carbs, its a must read. You can go to southbeachdiet.com and get a lot of info there too. Essentially on phase 1 you remove all carbs including fruit and starchy vegetables. On a Phase 1 day you would want to get in all of the following:
4.5 cups of veggies
1/2 cup of beans
2 cups low fat dairy (including plain yogurt)
lean protein (not restricted, but avoid high fat foods like duck)
you can use 2 tbsp. additional healthy oils like olive for dressing your food and mayonnaise is fine too.

Transitioning into Phase 2 means slowly adding fruits and carbs back one at a time. Phase 3 is maintenance.

There are some good stickies up at the top of this forum that talk about Phase 1. If you start a thread asking about it, many will chime in.

Also, I am doing Phase 1 while counting PP right now so take a look at my food logs on the "on plan" thread for this week to get a sense of a Phase 1 day counting points.

Pearlrose
01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Mmk- I signed up for the free week online so I can get a feel for it and then I am stopping the online. A friend at work is letting me borrow her starter pack and she is buying me a points calculator at her next meeting.

The site calculated my points at 31 daily and 40 extra weekly. It also tracks your activity points, you can swap them or just keep track of them. I am going to just keep track of them.

I learned my portions are way to big on SB, I am like you after I get of Phase 1 my weight loss stalls, so I am hoping by combining the two I am more successful.

Mmckellen
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi Pearlrose,
I don't think I'm eligible for the weekly trial, since I had done it on line before. Anyway, I was told everyone gets 49 additional points per week rather than 40 - regardless of weight. Do you know something different?

Pearlrose
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Oops posted that number wrong it should be 49 instead of 40. I already used some this week (that portion issue lol).

Mmckellen
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
9 points makes a big difference!!!

MissKoo
01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I am doing just about the same thing! I have the Points Plus calculator and everything but if I don't keep the carbs WAY down and under control I just can't lose weight and keep it off. Plus, I can't take the cravings anymore! Of course, when I have had a big weight loss week it is weird to tell people at the weigh in "couldn't work WW without the SB principles."

CyndiM
01-07-2011, 07:22 AM
I was all set to post last night and our internet died. I meant to get here sooner.

I've been following SBD for several years and have used calorie counting to keep my portions under control. I decided to experiment with P+ because I'm always looking for new tools. I signed up for the three month online trial out of curiosity. I definitely won't renew that but may just get myself a calculator.

So far I feel like I'm eating too much but not going off plan because of the flex points (29 points, 49 weekly). I'll wait to see how the weigh-ins go. I am not adding my exercise points back in because I know that would be a bad idea for me. Something about seeing those exercise points listed does get me moving though, so that's good :)

Pearlrose
01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Cyndi, I am with you waiting to see how the weigh in goes. I am not adding the exercise points in because I think the extra 49 is enough.

I can tell you after almost a week, when I pulled my jeans on today they were definitely much easier to get on, so we will see what the scale says on Sunday.

I just knew I needed help with my portions.

LuckyDVL
01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I have started this as well, my WI was 3 days ago and I am also on day 3 of SB P1. I can't believe how many points I get now. I feel super satisfied with SB and WW combined. I can't imagine also using up all of my weekly on top of this! LOL :)

I had a wicked headache yesterday that I attributed to low carb/junk food detox. I did like many suggest and incorporated a large amount of beans into my diet, I made a big SB Chili (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/02/weekend-herb-blogging-18-red-beansnot.html) (6 P+) last night and also some kinda-sorta-bean based SB Brownies (http://www.suite101.com/content/south-beach-phase-1-brownie-recipes-a203418) (2 P+). They don't fool me but they taste good and are pretty healthy. That seemed to do the trick as it has been 24 hours and I feel great.

Down 2 lbs in 2 days, water weight no doubt, but I am feeling much more positive about SB today than I was yesterday.

Mmckellen
01-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey LuckyDVL,
Sounds great. I love that you posted the points for those recipes. I post my points for the day on the On plan thread. Do you post there?

CyndiM
01-08-2011, 10:31 AM
I admit I'm surprised and impressed so far. I lost 3.8 lbs this week. Granted I was artificially high last week but I still count 1.3 as real loss. Considering I ate all my points and 2 exercise points :o, didn't exercise enough and don't have much to lose I'm really happy with that. Onward to another week.

Mmckellen
01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
The biggest impact I am seeing in counting points is that I need to be more careful about fats. Those points really add up. When I was not tracking points, I was being much more liberal about fat. I'm due to weigh in on Monday, so we'll see if I do as well as you Cyndi!

Pearlrose
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Well I weighed in today and I lost 5 lbs!!! Now granted I was on Tom so I will attribute some of that to water weight, but I am following Phase 2 and not Phase 1 so I was very happy. The real test will be this week, always seem to do well with the first week and then nothing.

bennwyattsmom
01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm interested in trying this as well...are you both going to actual meetings, or just using online? I just started Phase I today, and my sister has been go ing to WW for several months (has lost 36 lbs.)...we're going to combine knowledge!

Mmckellen
01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I am not going to meetings or doing it on the WW site. I'm very familiar with ww (having done it before) so I had my friend just buy me a kit of the new PP info and have been tracking that way.

LuckyDVL
01-09-2011, 09:39 PM
I go to meetings. I had lost over 35 lbs about 1 year ago on WW alone. I gained some back and am now in the last leg. I did not know about SB until recently - I think this is going to be very successful for me!! Who knew the power carbs held over me :dizzy:

I was debating about doing this last part online and saving some money, but I really want to reach Lifetime with WW because it's a goal I had set from the very beginning. I don't think you can be Lifetime if you do it online.

Mmckellen
01-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Down 3.6 lbs!! I'm so happy. I've learned already, just in one week, how to make better choices. For instance, I love my breakfast of kefir and egg salad (9 points), but enjoy just as much and remain just as satisfied with a breakfast of kefir and edamame (5 points). I'm enjoying learning more about how to feel satisfied on less. Yahoo!

Pearlrose
01-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Great Job Mmck! I decided to do 3 months online since they have the free registration, I got the calculator but I really like that you can look up points for food real quick online versus having to put in the formula and you can save them as favorites so it is real easy to drag over to your meal. I will use the calculator at the grocery store and to take along with me.

BelovedK
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I am doing this, and so far, so good. I am basically on SBD P2 and Points Plus. I have been exercising like a fiend (like I used to do) and am looking forward to "date night" when I will slightly indulge with my flex points. It feels good to be doing both. I lost 4 lbs my first week :carrot:

deesharee
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
This is an awesome thread. So glad I found you guys! I'm starting SBD phase 1 on Monday and have been going to WW. But I wanted to combine both because I lost 16 pounds on SBD last summer but gained back 8 of them.

I've been wondering if anyone combined the two and now I found some who have. That is giving me confidence that it can be done!

Dee

Mmckellen
01-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Welcome Dee! I post my menus every day on the on plan thread and post how many points each day is. I would love to get more people doing this! I'm really going to depend on point counting as I go into Phase 2.

Pearlrose
01-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Welcome Dee! I have been SB for a few years now but I really struggled and was backsliding all of 2010 and gained almost all of my weight loss back. I really love the food on SB but needed help with portions so combining the both seems to be working.

LuckyDVL
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
My first week of WW and SB P1 has been a success - down 3.6 at my WI this morning. I also feel really good in general. I mostly stuck to quick on-the-go carbs when I did WW previously, and I felt like crap a lot of the time and the scale never really budged more than 0.2-0.4. I think SB and WW will be my winning combination.

WaistingTime
01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I went to a meeting today to check it out and get the materials. I did WW in the past, many years ago.

I am so torn now. What I love about SB is that we don't need to count anything! No measuring, no points.

And I can see myself overeating fruit. Not sure yet what I am going to do. Indecisive. Arrgh.

BTW - I first found 3fc when I did WW all those years ago. I only lurked but it was the greatest place for ideas for low-point foods and recipes:)

Mmckellen
01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Karen! I'm not committing to counting points forever. I've committed to doing it scrupulously for a month to get a handle on my portions and how to transition to Phase 2. For what it's worth, once I get to Phase 2 I only intend to eat one fruit a day. I'm still sticking to the South Beach plan and foods, just using the points temporarily to teach me more about portion control, and how to get the most and best food for my buck. I recommend you try doing Phase 1 and just following points for a week to see what you learn about yourself :-). No full commitment necessary.

zeffryn
01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
OK, I rejoined Weight Watchers this afternoon. I have 29 available points to me daily.

It was a shock to see just how many points the little peanut butter pretzels that have been my crutch the last few days have in them. no more!

I like that fruit doesn't have many, if any points. I had two tiny clementines for a snack this afternoon and they were both 0 points. yay!

How is everyone enjoying it so far - any different from the original points system?

CyndiM
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
So far I love this and I am developing some better habits. There's pretty much no way around the fact that I am a nibbler. There are just certain times of the day that I nibble (late afternoon is a huge one). P+ has me going for an apple or a clementine or crunchy veggies instead of the protein I was reaching for. Truth is I don't actually need the protein, I just really want to nibble. Fruit has never been a problem for me. I love it but it doesn't spike cravings no matter how much I eat (I've tested that during PYO seasons).

I will probably just buy a calculator once my three months online is up. I don't really see any benefit to the rest of the plan because I already have a perfect support system right here.

Mmckellen
01-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I am learning SO much about portion control. I used to serve myself some food and think it was about a cup, and eat it all. Now I measure out a cup and it is waaaaay less than what I thought a cup looked like. But the amount satisfies me. I am so happy. Cyndi, there are some websites that have calculators that are based on the PP system. I don't think they are legal, so can't post about them here.

zeffryn
01-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Cyndi, the benefit for me is that i'm paying to use the tools and the fact that i'm doling out 18 bucks a month is a pretty large motivator to me using it. i also like the fact that i can track for extended periods, so if i'm having a stall or something, i can go back through the past few weeks and see if there are any bad patterns emerging.

ok. night one of no snacking. what is wrong that i can't commit to this? i've been doing well with everything except this. annnooooooooooooooying.

Koshka
01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm a relapsed lifetime member of WW. I've been intrigued by SBD -- have a couple of the books and was an online member for awhile -- but have a lot of difficulty with any food being forbidden during a phase.

That said, I do believe strongly in eating fewer carbs and eating healthier and I do think SBD is very healthy.

So -- I've been following WW (I eat my daily points, my conservatively counted activity points and try very hard not to eat more than about 5 to 10 weekly points...I lose better not eating most of my WP). At the same time I've set up custom nutrients at MyPlate (this requires a paid membership) and I've put in percentage goals for fats, carbs, protein, fiber, sugars and sodium.

The tension is to keep the carbs on the lower end while not having the fats get too high. So I'm eating much more protein than in the past. So far it is going really well.

Mmckellen
01-13-2011, 07:06 AM
zeffryn, maybe you just need to get out of the habit. Instead of trying to manage your snacking, have you tried to just get rid of out outright for a week? Make a rule - no snacks after 6pm (or after dinner)? Something like this could very easily just be a bad habit you need to unlearn. In my own experience, once I open my mouth to put something in after dinner, it stays open. Try switching to some spicy ginger tea with lemon and a little splenda. If you have a teapot, keep it near you and just keep pouring out the tea. This works for me, plus ginger tea is really really good for your body too.

AmyKitKat
01-13-2011, 11:14 AM
I hear you Zeffryn...I am back to snacking at night now that I'm on SBD?! I just get really hungry - maybe not enough veggies at dinner? Also, my DH cooks, so there is often fattier meats at dinner so I try to have smaller portions which probably leaves me hungry :(

zeffryn
01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
mmc - that is what i have to do and what i did last night. if i snack, even if it is on plan, it seems to not stop. i seem to do really well for a few weeks and then trip up and fall off the wagon again...i'm going to try for long term success this time.

i'm just happy that i can recognize that it is an issue before it gets too out of control, ya know?

Mmckellen
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm the same if I start snacking when I get home as I prepare dinner. It really adds up. Another benefit of tracking with the points.

zeffryn
01-13-2011, 04:18 PM
and another benefit was seeing just how many points were in the foods i was snacking on. 4 points for a handful of pretzels? no thanks.

karendisney
01-15-2011, 05:22 PM
I am brand new to 3FC and just had to respond to this thread. I tried WW so many times through the years - LOVED the meetings, weigh-ins, etc ; but never got past losing 10 pounds or so because I would inevitably succumb to cravings. About 10 years ago found out I was PCOS, about 4 years ago tried SBD for the first time - I did great, felt great, lost 20+ pounds. Then fell off. Tried again 3 years ago, once again did great, lost maybe 20, started exercising and felt better than I ever had. The problem that I kept having was that I couldn't see NEVER eating a sweet again, I'd go great guns for a couple of months, have a sweet, feel so dismally guilty and craving filled that I'd never get back on the beach. Then surprise! found out I was preggers. My sweet little miracle is going on two now, but I still look 8 months along. I heard about the new WW program - revamped P+ taking into account fiber and carbs, etc. Decided that I would try to sort of eat the SBD way within the P+ plan.

I'm so happy to see others who are doing this!!!!

I started WW January 2nd - I determined the first week that my oil/nut portions were way too high and did REALLY great the first week - dropping 10.8 pounds! I was definitely up from all of the holiday bingeing, but still....

Weighed in again this morning and down another .6 ... not much but I expected that after the huge loss and also DH and I had the first opportunity in ages last night for a date. We had a GC to a restaurant and I ate within the P+, but certainly not on the beach, so I knew it would affect my weigh-in.

Thats OK, though - this is what I want - to live on the beach MOST (90-95%) of the time and to learn how to enjoy myself (every now and then) without sabotoging myself. I know that health wise w/pcos and insulin resistance the beach is the best for me. But I do want to be "normal", too and have a treat now and then. LOVE my WW meeting and leader - I think SBD & P+ may just be the combination I need :)

So 11.4 pounds down ... another 70 or so to go. I am just at the beginning but also very encouraged. I am thrilled to see the success others are having with this combination. I'm considering trying the Simply Filling plan, which I picked up today at WW. Less measuring of beans, etc (I'm also a vegetarian) but still having the P+ control with the oils, nuts and olives.

So glad to have found you guys :)

Pearlrose
01-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Glad to have you here KarenDisney, so far it seems like this way is going to work for me as well. I weighed in today and lost another 1lb so I am down 6 lbs in two weeks and this is doing Phase 2. I have been eating more fruits than I normally do on SB but I am not craving anything and my artificial sweetener use has been drastically cut which I am happy about.

Mmckellen
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Amazing, Pearlrose!!!

fatmac
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey everyone!

This is exactly what I'm doing! Eating within my WW P+ but only beach-friendly foods. I slipped up and had a binge part way through the first week of phase 1, so I'm starting the two weeks over. This isn't vastly different from how I normally eat, except that I'm avoiding fruit and wine. Hopefully that makes a difference on the scale!

Mmckellen
01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
I just completed Phase 1 counting points and lost a total of 5.6 lbs! I'm counting on the points to help me transition to Phase 2 without significantly increasing my calorie intake.

fatmac
01-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Mmckellen - that's fantastic! I would LOVE to lose 5.6 pounds. I'm concerned that I won't lose a whole lot quickly because I'm not drastically changing my diet.. but that's okay. Slow and steady! And yes, I'm really going to rely on P+ when I start adding more foods. Something's going to have to give!

zeffryn
01-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I started back up with the points and haven't lost any weight dramatically, but I'm hoping the addition of the points will continue to help me with my portion control.

deesharee
01-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Ladies, ladies this SBD/WW hybrid is awesome! I started last Tuesday and In a week lost 7.8 pounds!

I feel so much better! I plan on doing phase 1.5 after phase 1 is over!

Mmckellen
01-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I weigh in tomorrow after one week on Phase 2 tracking points. We'll see how that goes!

litar
01-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Mmckellen...can't wait to hear your progress. I am on Phase 2 and started tracking on Tuesday (evening)! I am down slightly (-.2) LOL but it has only been a full day...so I think it is looking promising!

Mmckellen
01-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I'll let you know. I'm hoping for a loss, but since I lost almost 6 lbs. on Phase 1 I'll be happy just to maintain that. Watch this space!

zeffryn
01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
MMC - I asked you in the daily on plan thread, but I'll ask here too - do you find you lose faster/better when you stay within your daily points or when you consume your weekly points too?

I've been staying within my daily points - some days maybe a bit low (down 5-6 points), and the weight hasn't been shifting too dramatically...but i've also been doing a full phase 2 and don't have that much to lose anymore.

cspa522
01-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I kind of came up with idea myself last night while I was miserably sitting around, hungry, on the SBD and NOT wanting another green vegetable. I sincerely missed my time on WW at that point! So, I'm in a way doing the same thing you are. I'm going to keep in mind the practices of the SBD (I'm on Phase 2 now, just started on Monday), but incorporate the WW points into things too.

So happy to find others who are geniuses like me and came up with this hybrid!! :)

raebeaR
01-27-2011, 05:48 PM
This is something that makes total sense to me, also. It's what I do when I'm in Weight Loss Mode (which admittedly, hasn't been for awhile!), and it's the only thing that works. SBD is THE best for reducing carb cravings and for generally healthful eating habits, and points keep me in check for portion control. I'll be looking in on this thread often. :)

MissKoo
01-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I've been using my "old" points calculator and staying below 30 per day of P2 SB foods. This is working very well for me. The idea of points just reminds me of my portions and how much I'm really eating. I'm using the old points system because I did it, off and on, for about six years and I know it quite well!

I'm down another 3 pounds and feel a flatter tummy (flatter for me, that is). If I can go through a day like yesterday and not overeat - then it is really working?

What happened to MissKoo yesterday? Well, we had a little snow. It took me EIGHT HOURS to get HALFWAY home! Offramps were blocked by abandoned cars and stalled out big rigs.::yikes: I had to leave my car in the grocery store parking lot because my windshield wipers BROKE under the heavy snow. :tantrum::tantrum: DH picked me up (he came against traffic in our big old 4x4) and by the time I got home it was a ten hour commute.

At least I came home to electricity running - I know there are about 200,000 folks out here who weren't as fortunate.

Mmckellen
01-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Hey Z,
Well, it's hard to tell - the 2.5 weeks I was on Phase 1 I counted pretty strictly and did occasionally go over my daily points, but don't know if I used up all of my weeklies (I would have to go back and check). I do know that on some days when I only use my daily points it seems like not enough food and I'm worried about not eating enough, since I know that can stall weight loss too. I see that you exercise a lot and maybe you need more. I would eat at least your daily points and whatever activity points you earn - yesterday, you must have earned at least 5 activity points!

snoozlebug
01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Nice to find this thread. I started as a WW meetings member in October before the PP change, but pretty much lost it in December when I went home for the holidays. I also couldn't find a meeting leader that really clicked with me, and I was not getting anything out of the meetings. I switched to the online only, because I use the iPhone app to track -- SO CONVENIENT!

So I'm on Day 4 of phase 1 and I am LOVING this combination. Like everyone is saying -- tracking points helps me with portion control and SBD helps me pick the right foods. It's like they strengthen each other's power!!

I'm more motivated now than I have been in a long time. :) Glad I'm not the only one!!

Mmckellen
01-28-2011, 06:52 AM
I lost a pound!! I'm so happy. I was so nervous about stepping on the scale this morning - for some reason I was expecting a gain (it's happened before, even when I've been on plan) and would have been happy just to maintain after this first week transitioning to Phase 2. I tell you I could not do this right now without the guidance of the points. Today I add back in a fruit! Very psyched...

litar
01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
:congrat: on the loss Mmckellan!!!!!

Pearlrose
01-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Congratulation Mmck on the loss that is great.

Zeffryn- I have been losing and I use all of my points and about half my weekly allowance each week. I have not touched any activity points. I still have a lot of weight to lose though, so I really think it is based on multiple factors.

I am on week 4 and have noticed a nice difference in my eating portions and didn't realize how many points were in some of the foods I like to eat, so that was an eye opener, its helping me make better choices in food selection even on SB way and eat smaller portions of those higher point items.

I don't weigh in until Sunday and I am afraid to weigh in this week because TOM is coming on Tuesday so this is when I am usually at my highest weight, if I can pull a loss this Sunday I would be stoked.

MissKoo
01-29-2011, 12:01 AM
I ended the week without using any of the weekly points and didn't get the crazy munchouts even once. There was a birthday cake in the lunch room at work and I didn't want any at all! I didn't have to think to myself "hmmm . . . how many points is that?" I just looked at it and the nasty ingredients that make me feel SO BAD rolled through my mind: sugar, hfcs, highly-refined white flour. No thanks.

Using the points reference while keeping to SB seems to be the trick! I don't want to jinx meself but I'm feeling really good about this!

Weighing in Sunday morning.

Mmckellen
01-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Let us know Miss Koo! Counting points is really helping me in Phase 2.

karendisney
01-29-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm still plugging away at my combo P+/SBD Phase 2.

The problem that I am having is that I definitely lose better when I stick to just SBD foods, cravings are way down, etc.

BUT I think that being on P+ lets me mentally justify some things that really aren't good for for my particular body. For instance yesterday I was really stressed and there were soft pretzels at work and I knew that a half would only be 3 points. I dutifully broke it in half and threw the excess away, certainly better than I would have done a month ago. All well and good, but for the rest of the day I was feeling edgy and less satisfied with my SBD meals ... craving carbs, having more trouble controlling portions, etc.

I also feel that I had a rough time this week because I didn't eat as much fruit. I guess I am lucky in that fruits, even bananas, don't get me craving. My problem is the whites. Anyway, I had a crazy week and the second half of the week didn't get to the store to replenish my fruit/fresh veggie supply. So while I was within points I felt like I was grabbing and not eating as well as I would like.

I got weighed in this morning and lost 1.6, OK, but I was a bit disappointed since I'd lost 2.2 last week. I know that for some 1.6 would be an encouraging loss, and at some point it will for me, too, but I am quite heavy right now and absolutely nowhere no goal so I do think that I should be able to lost at least 2 pounds a week. Especially since back when I did straight SBD I often lost 3 in a week. Of course that was a few years ago before baby #3 and the true onset of my 40s :dizzy:

I'm looking at the whole thing as a learning curve ... I am realizing that many non-SBD foods just aren't worth the aggravation (cravings) to me, even if they are low in P+. But there are other things (celebrations, etc) for which I might consider the aftermath worth it. I'm trying to figure out what is worth it to me and what isn't. And I am realizing more and more that if I want to lose better and be craving free I need to stick to SBD days/weeks.

choices
01-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Cool!..and here I thought that I had thought up this combination...;o) Nice to see you all have paved the road ahead for me. BTW,nice to meet you all.

fatmac
01-30-2011, 10:49 AM
karen, I'm having the same problem as you. I keep trying to justify eating non-SBD foods as long as I'm within my P+, but it's not working out so well for me cravings-wise. I keep "restarting" phase 1 because of this... I really want to have a clean two weeks, but I keep sidetracking myself!

MissKoo
01-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Sunday morning weigh in: Down another two pounds!

Party last night - nibbled on broccoli, cauliflower, gouda (no crackers), handful of grapes, grape tomatoes w/a little ranch dip. Ate only the inside of the sandwich (it was quite good that way!).

Hit exactly the points target throughout the day.

Maybe there should be a new name for what we are doing (since we are having so much success). How about Beach Watchers? Point Beachers? South Pointers? (no, that sounds like a dog breed).

Mmckellen
01-30-2011, 01:23 PM
KarenDisney and FatMac, I just want to be clear that I am only using the points to track my portions while I strictly adhere to the SBD phases. It sounds to me like you are jumping between the two plans - sometimes following SBD principles, sometimes just counting points. If you are using the points to justify eating non SBD foods I don't think you're doing the same thing that others on this thread are.

fatmac
01-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Mmck - I'm not doing it on purpose! I just keep finding myself in situations where I "cheat" on phase 1 but justify it because it wasn't so many points (alcohol being the key offender). I'm going to make a conscious effort this week to NOT do that and have a clean phase 1.

Mmckellen
01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
FM that was my problem when I did WW on its own last year. I ate a lot of junk because I could make it fit within my daily point allowance. Right now I'm just really following SB to the letter (I have issues with FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS and need to do just that) and using the points as my guide. Confession: I don't count points for the wine I consume. I only use it as a gauge to track how much food I'm eating. But, I generally don't drink during the week so it's not too much extra.

CyndiM
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
KarenDisney and FatMac, I just want to be clear that I am only using the points to track my portions while I strictly adhere to the SBD phases.

Exactly this for me. I was using calorie counting for portion control and now I'm using WW.

I haven't updated alot because frankly, I've had trouble getting and staying on plan. The past week has been great though and I'm really feeling the difference. My ticker also is not lying now. I was blaming the intense job stress but really I just need to deal with life without high fat and carby foods. It's an ongoing learning process.

I have my own in-house rule for wine :) If I stay within my daily points and I exercise then I can have a glass of wine. Sometimes I'll have a glass a few days in a row and sometimes it's weeks without.

fatmac
01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
I have my own in-house rule for wine :) If I stay within my daily points and I exercise then I can have a glass of wine. Sometimes I'll have a glass a few days in a row and sometimes it's weeks without.

What a great rule, Cyndi! I might have to steal that one.

CyndiM
01-30-2011, 02:51 PM
What a great rule, Cyndi! I might have to steal that one.

I will happily share it with you after you complete a clean Phase 1 ;) All my rules come from 3FC one way or another. It's the only place I know of where people actually think about this stuff and strive to get healthier. Gotta love that :)

fatmac
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Alright, a clean phase 1 it is! You know, I could happily eat phase 1 foods only if I could only have my wine. Sigh... two weeks is not a long time in the grand scheme of things!

Mmckellen
01-30-2011, 07:14 PM
FM if I can do a clean phase 1 with no wine then you can. I LOVE my wine. Another confession: I actually had wine at 6pm on my last night of Phase 1!! Everyone here said it counted as a clean one though. You honestly will really feel good and it will make a difference for your whole experience. If it helps I did not make any plans to go out or do anything that would involve being around wine, and that means being in restaurants, for all of my phase 1. Maybe you just have to take the two weeks and do that. This is easy for me to say, because I am enjoying a glass of white wine right now!!

karendisney
01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I actually started my first week of WW doing great w/SBD ( I started on a 1.5, though - its worked for me before and fruit doesn't make me crave). I lost 10.8 lbs, too, by some miracle. I really think it was a detox after all of the junk I'd consumed over the holidays. The next week I wavered some and ate a couple of non-SBD foods .... and (sigh!) as time has gone on I've gotten sort of more and more away from truly being on the beach (over the past few weeks). In fact, this past week I don't even think I could say I was doing both. It was P+, all the way.

What I was trying to express in my last post is that when I was just doing SBD ( a couple of years back) I never ate off plan. But doing it this way, I find myself excusing non-SBD foods and justifying w/ the fact that I am within points goals at the end of the day. A little mental trick I am playing on myself, I think.

And that would be OK, I mean whatever works for each individual is fine with me, kwim? BUT .... I think I need to get back to a more pure SBD 1.5 for two reasons:

1. I'm not losing as fast as I did on straight SBD. SBD really, really worked for me. The only problem that I had was that where Dr. A says that at some point in your life you'll have a treat and you should just get back on plan, I never managed to get back both times I'd done pure SBD. So I thought maybe the points would help with that. Of course both times I did SBD I never tried having anything until 2-3 months in and both times that was when I fell off the wagon. This time I have sort of been hopping back and forth.

and 2. My body isn't looking the way that it did on pure SBD. Last time I had lost 15 lbs and people were commenting left and right - my tummy (huge problem area) was way smaller than ever. Last time on SBD I went on vacation 5 weeks into it and I look that those pics longingly ... I looked really great, and WAY thinner than I do now. I asked my mom and hubby how many pounds they thought I am away from that size and they both said about 15. Guess what? Its 5.8 pounds. I think SBD was making me look thinner at the same weight. Is that possible? And yes, I was doing some beginning pilates back then, too. But really very begining and for just a few weeks. It is just really odd to look so different at such a close weight. Anyone ever experience that? I did have my third baby in between there, but he's almost two, so I don't think I can keep blaming him for this:dizzy:

Anyway, I came to the conclusion today (duh!) that I need to really do SBD and just use the points for portion control. I think that I will lose/look/feel better. So I am re-starting this week.:) Wish me luck ...

Pearlrose
01-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Well, I am down .2 for the week I will take it with TOM coming.

I also have to make sure I am keeping to my Phase 2 of SBD while counting points. I am eating more fruit than I normally do on SBD but I have not had any cravings from it and I am losing- for the past year my scale had been going up and down and back up. Since combining it has been going down regardless if it is small amounts- its a process and it's working.

Everyone has to do it the way it works for them and that is the process- figuring out what works for them.

I don't have a problem with wanting wine- I don't drink at all- we all have things we have to control.

zeffryn
01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Had a really successful weekend. Weekends are my downfall, so many things going on, so much to do that I just don't want to stay on plan sometimes. This weekend was different. I don't know if it was the fact that now I have a day in mind for a goal (we're leaving for florida on May 16 and I need to be beach ready), but it was easy to just avoid the foods that I knew were off-plan. I lost .2 over the weekend and that included a glass of wine one night.

Back on the exercise wagon today with kickboxing and step. woo!

Mmckellen
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
That's great Z!

penm
02-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Ladies - I'm new to this forum and on my second week of Phase 1. I'm down almost 7lbs - so I'm happy about that - but I'm also still craving sweets (and a nice slice of bread!). I thought by now the cravings would have died down. I did WW about 2 years ago and lost about 20lbs. (I then gained it back over 2 years off program) When I did WW I didn't cheat at all. The problem with that - is when I decided to go off the plan - I went crazy. I missed my favorite foods (like all of them :-) too much. Now that I've been doing SB - I find myself stuck with my WW mentality. (The whole reason I could never bring myself to do Atkins was that I can't support the "eat all the fat you want" principle.) I'm not counting points (although - I mentally process them each time I put something in my mouth!) - but I'm pretty hungry. I don't know that I'm eating enough. By combining South Beach and not eating any "carbs" - I'm pretty much eating vegetables and egg whites all day (with some greek yogurt thrown in!). I'm hungry - but losing so I think I"m doing it right. I will admit - I am eating more nuts (or sunflower seeds) than I should be each day. Whenever I find myself really hungry - I grab a few cashews (and or some other form of "nut") to get some quick protein into my system.

What is considered a "clean" Phase 1?

Pen

148.5/141.5/120

Mmckellen
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Are you a vegetarian? Why are you only eating egg whites? You can have lean meats (and egg yolks), mayonnaise, etc. Egg whites won't satisfy you. I'm not surprised you are hungry!

penm
02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
No - not a vegetarian. I am eating some chicken - not a lot because how much of it can you eat! I don't eat a lot of egg yolks - I did have some eggs today (with the yolks) - but again - I've been trained (via WW) to eat egg whites :-). I'm stuck between two diets... I'm actually hoping that when Phase 1 is over I can be more on the WW plan with some SB discipline. Although - I really miss my wine. Not a huge drinker - but when you can't have it....

zeffryn
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Even when I was just doing WW, I ate whole eggs. I would combine one whole egg with two egg whites. Our bodies NEED fat!

You should definitely read the book. There are a lot of little things that you'll go crazy asking every time. It will also explain further why SB will work so well with the points counters for those who need a little extra help in the portion control department.

If you're not eating much lean meat, then go to beans and other legumes for some of your protein. The extra fiber will keep you full longer than some veggies and egg whites will. I try to include beans in at least one meal per day. They are relatively calorie dense, though, so try to keep it below 1 cup per day. Greek yogurt has a lot of protein, between milk and yogurt - shoot for 2 cups daily. Try to have veggies with every meal (I'm bad on that, but I still get my 4.5 cups in daily).

Kiko
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I am so glad to have found this thread!! I am currently a WW member, love the program, but have also been very successful with SBD in the past. I need to do a clean two weeks of Phase 1 to detox, but want to combine the program b/c there are aspects of both that I love. Going to go read this thread to get some tips.

It has been many years since I have done SBD, so need to re-educate myself.

zeffryn
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Kiko, the supercharged book is great!

Kiko
02-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi Zeff! Don't know if you remember me, it has been a LOOOOONG time since I have been on here. I think you were preggers with your second baby when I was here last.

Thanks for the tip on the book- I really need a good, clean Phase 1 to detox. The lack of wine was always a challenge for me, but I quit drinking over a year ago, so that should help. :)

AZMama2011
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
What are the best beans to eat? I know I'll do better if I cook them myself from the dry version - but when time is a factor, what canned beans are better than others?

zeffryn
02-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Kiko! I thought that name sounded familiar :) Hope to see you around more often!

AZMama - Just make sure the beans that you buy don't have any added sugars (there are some out there, check the labels) and give canned beans a good rinse before you eat them. On days when I'm rushed, I'll have half a can of black beans (rinsed) mixed with 1/4 cup of salsa and topped with 1 T. of rf cheddar - pop it in the microwave until cheese is melted. really fast,healthy, and filling!

AZMama2011
02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you zeffryn - I'll give that a try - sounds tasty and fast :)

murphmitch
02-02-2011, 05:56 PM
No - not a vegetarian. I am eating some chicken - not a lot because how much of it can you eat! I don't eat a lot of egg yolks - I did have some eggs today (with the yolks) - but again - I've been trained (via WW) to eat egg whites :-). I'm stuck between two diets... I'm actually hoping that when Phase 1 is over I can be more on the WW plan with some SB discipline. Although - I really miss my wine. Not a huge drinker - but when you can't have it....

Vary up your protein. Any plan is doomed for failure if you get bored and don't enjoy it. Beans are a great source of protein too. Check our recipe sections if you need ideas. I use lots of chicken, lean ground turkey, lean pork and beef besides eggs for my protein.

Pearlrose
02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
So wanted to report in I lost 3.4 lbs this past weekend at weigh in. I have started Week 6, so far I have lost 11 lbs doing WW/SB combined. I feel like I am finally get back on the weight loss wagon.

Mmckellen
02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Excellent Pearlrose! Hopefully the scale will go down for me this week.

choices
02-07-2011, 07:12 PM
:carrot:EXCELLENT! That's just great, I think you have a handle on this process.~So wanted to report in I lost 3.4 lbs this past weekend at weigh in. I have started Week 6, so far I have lost 11 lbs doing WW/SB combined. I feel like I am finally get back on the weight loss wagon.